http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 05:51:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Whos getting Sims 2: University?  (Read 2168 times)
Scoop20906
Gaming Trend Senior Member

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« on: January 25, 2005, 04:35:23 PM »

I have really enjoyed the new Sims 2 game. I play it once or twice week, only because it can suck up an evening so damn quickly.

My family is progressing well and I have a young guy who will almost be a teenager soon and then off the University so it's almost perfect timing to pick this up.

I wonder if Maxis planned it that way?? HMMMMM  :lol:

The Gone Gold Effect has a strong influence on the weak minded ...
GamerTag: Scoop20906
Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2005, 06:13:39 PM »

I will be picking it up.  Tons of things to do and the variety is key for this game's success.
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2005, 07:40:36 PM »

Thats one thing I noticed about the game. There are many ways to play the game and they all work well.

I noticed I didn't really enjoy throwing parties very much. Guess what, I just decided I wouldn't. I don't feel like I failed something in the game. It just wasn't my game playing style. The game doesn't really penalize you for playing the way you want to.

jonsauce
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2005, 07:59:09 PM »

I'd buy it for 19.99 or under, but that's because I don't have that much free money right now.

Now Playing
--------------
NHL 09
NFL Head Coach 09
Red Faction Guerilla
Rockband 2
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2005, 09:21:49 PM »

im gonna get it, but if you guys tell anyone ill swear you are lying.  i got a retp to keep in shape you know.

AttA
ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2005, 04:23:32 PM »

This is the first test of my "Don't buy EA Games" decision.
wankerjr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2005, 09:05:30 PM »

Quote from: "ChrisGwinn"

You can buy EA games used or trade for them knowing that EA never got their mitts on your money.

How does this work again?
ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2005, 08:25:02 PM »

Quote from: "wankerjr"

You can buy EA games used or trade for them knowing that EA never got their mitts on your money.

Absolutely true.  I haven't decided whether I'll buy used EA games.  I'm not boycotting them just because I dislike their business practices.  There enough other good games out there that I can support non-EA companies and play good games just as easily as I can play good games with buying EA.  If I buy them used, I'm not supporting those other companies either.  And I don't really like EB/Gamestop that much.  I'm leaning towards buying new games from not-EA and buying used games where I can't get a new copy or am not concerned about the success of that title at retail.  I'll probably still trade for EA games, since that doesn't consume a slice of my gaming dollars.  

I'm probably over thinking this.
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2005, 08:56:19 PM »

Quote from: "wankerjr"

Absolutely true.  I haven't decided whether I'll buy used EA games.  I'm not boycotting them just because I dislike their business practices.  There enough other good games out there that I can support non-EA companies and play good games just as easily as I can play good games with buying EA.  If I buy them used, I'm not supporting those other companies either.  And I don't really like EB/Gamestop that much.  I'm leaning towards buying new games from not-EA and buying used games where I can't get a new copy or am not concerned about the success of that title at retail.  I'll probably still trade for EA games, since that doesn't consume a slice of my gaming dollars.  

I'm probably over thinking this.

yeah you definatly are lol.  then again we all know what you mean cuz we all hate EA.  If the fuckers would quit putting out good games like the Sims2 and BF1942 it would be easy to ignore them.  I guess its just a question of what is more important to you, your hate of EA (Burn in hell)
or your love of games.

5 points on your cool scale if you can name the movie i quoted.

AttA
ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2005, 10:56:19 PM »

I'm afraid I won't be able to collect on the cool points.  

I don't hate EA.  If they quit doing things that I found objectionable, I'd gladly buy games from them again.  It's interesting that EA makes very few games that I want to buy.  I think I've only bought three games from them in the last couple of years (Was DICE owned by them in 2002?  If not, only three).  So my refusing to buy their games can't make much of a difference.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2005, 08:53:19 PM »

I would buy it if I had the sims 2 still...I never got it to run good. it was crazy choppy whenever the sims did anything. I tried everything,a nd everything else runs great on this PC. Oh, well. I`m suprised I haven`t heard any other situations like this.
maggie-chow
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2005, 01:29:38 AM »

Sims 2 was choppy for me, too.  Pretty much what I expect from Maxis, at this point.  

I'll pick up University when it's bargain bin.

"I spill my drink!"    [Currently playing: Civ IV (PC), Romance of the Three Kingdoms X (PS2)]
ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2005, 08:16:51 PM »

Huh.  I was surprised by how smooth it ran on my machine.
wankerjr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2005, 09:13:27 PM »

Huh.  I was surprised by how smooth it ran on my machine.

Ditto.

Mine was an Athlon XP 1800+ with 512 MB PC2100 DDR and a GF4 ti 4200.

Load times were long but once in the actual game it ran fine.

How does this work again?
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2005, 10:20:05 PM »

I ran it on a 3.0ghz p4, with 1gb ddr, 6800gt 256mb, sb audigy 2...etc. Everything up to date, everything else runs GREAT on this, but not sims 2...Well, it got traded anyways.
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2005, 02:51:24 PM »

I'll probably get a few Sims 2 expansions, but probably not this one,

ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2005, 07:26:27 PM »

It's a little strange, because it takes the focus away from the community and its residents.  Personally, I'd love to see some percentage of the teenagers in the town age and go to college with you.  I find it jarring that little Marsha the NPC has been a little kid for 40 years, befriending and getting forgotten by several generations of playmates.
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2005, 07:30:07 PM »

Thats exactly how I feel about it. Give more to the community.

Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2005, 10:39:58 PM »

Thats a good point I noticed too that the NPCs don't age like the playable Sims. It is kind of disconcerting as young amari is on his way to adulthood but is still being called by a junior high schooler that was his first kiss. Too bad they can't grow together.

ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2005, 08:08:16 PM »

Quote from: "Scoop20906"
Thats a good point I noticed too that the NPCs don't age like the playable Sims. It is kind of disconcerting as young amari is on his way to adulthood but is still being called by a junior high schooler that was his first kiss. Too bad they can't grow together.

It makes a certain amount of sense, if you assume that people will be playing multiple families in the same town.  Which playable sims would it age with?  But there has to be a better solution than them never aging.
ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2005, 10:05:55 PM »

I think I came up with the better solution.  It's self-indulgent wankery, of course, since it doesn't matter what my solution is.

Any time an age transition occurs, check the sims's known list for any townies in the same age category with relationship scores higher or lower than some set threshold.  If there are any, check those townies list for player-controlled sims in the same age category with relationship scores higher or lower than some threshold.  If there aren't any, move the townie to the next age category.  That way, townie friends and rivals will grow up along with the sims, but you won't have any problems with player sim A's friend growing up because player Sim B got older.

I think I'll probably pick up the expansion.  It sounds moderately fun, and I've been thinking about playing some more sims anyway.  It also turns out that you can send other teenagers (including townie teenagers) to college with your sim.  Which is cool.
weeskwee
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2005, 01:44:45 AM »

i got it on release day. it gives you the option of turning your teenage sims to college students. then it lets you take other teens from your neighborhood to college with you. i grabbed two pleasantview girls and moved us all into some affordable dorms at SSU.

you can also create new college kids to use, or use some maxis made pre generated ones. there are 3 colleges to choose from.

anyway, once the kids pulled up to the dorm and went inside, i saved it then went back to my old neighborhood. now that my kid has moved out for college i wanted to get the parents lives in order. i got so wrapped up i didn't go back to the school. tonight i will spend some time on campus. but i'm having a lot of fun with the old folks still.
ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2005, 04:32:09 PM »

I caved and picked it up.  I hadn't actually played The Sims 2 in a while, so I had forgotten that I didn't have any teenage sims to send to college.   Well, I had that stupid Goth kid that came along when I killed of Mortimer and married the daughter for her money, but he doesn't really count.  Somehow denying the romantic aspirations of the teenager and forcing him to clean the bathroom doesn't transfer well to college.

Dorms are fun - I like having other people around all the time.  I haven't tried many of the college town lots yet.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: