http://gamingtrend.com
August 23, 2014, 01:59:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Whoever said PSP would outsell DS this holiday season?  (Read 2911 times)
depward
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 15, 2005, 02:31:17 AM »

Was wrong.  If November's numbers are about the same as December's numbers (seeing as how the DS has a much stronger holiday line-up than the PSP, I'm guessing they will be about the same if not the DS doing even better), then the DS will have sold more units than the PSP.

November numbers here:

"Still Sony had little to crow about. Retailers sold 353,434 units of its handheld PlayStation Portable in November. That represents about 17% of the total PSPs it had sold to date in the U.S.

But the device was edged by Nintendo's latest handheld, the DS, which tallied 369,012 units sold."

Paging Andrew Mallon (and probably Scott to argue).  I thought you said that the PSP was crushing the DS in sales?  And how in November the PSP sales would pick up?

Put this together with a boatload of titles released for the DS and you have:

Ooooh nooooeees!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2005, 02:33:44 AM »

I like that.

TheMissingLink on PSN
unbreakable
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2005, 03:25:38 AM »

Tell the truth, you just wanted to use that pic  :wink:
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2005, 03:26:06 AM »

Haven't had a good DS vs. PSP thread in hours!

All those great, new, innovative, games for the DS.
All those awful ports for the PSP.
The PSP is so expensive.
PSP is so big.

DS in it's second holiday season and Nintendo kickin it old school (as if Nintendo kicks it any other way) with Mario Kart, Mario and Luigi and Animal Crossing.

15,578 difference?

Almost forgot: Nintendo is making money!!!  biggrin

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2005, 03:28:05 AM »

Those are surprisingly good numbers for the PSP, especially considering Nintendo has been absolutely dominating the handheld market for the last 15-20 years.  Both #s look good, which speaks well for portable gaming this season.  I'm not sure why people thought the PSP was going to "crush" the DS, but to match pace and stay fairly close, that's respectable for sony's first entry into the handheld world.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2005, 03:29:07 AM »

Both are doing well in my store. DS has the hotter individual titles right now for sure, but PSP has been getting a lot of holiday sales here.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2005, 03:36:29 AM »

Yeah yeah, that pic makes me chuckle, what can I say?   biggrin

Realistically though, aside from making this post just do do some "rabble-rouser'y", both the DS and PSP have pretty good numbers.  Competition is good in the video game business!  It can only benefit both systems.

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2005, 03:53:45 AM »

Quote from: "Devil"
The PSP is so expensive.
PSP is so big.

Pretty much summed it up, thanks!

TheMissingLink on PSN
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2005, 08:26:48 AM »

The PSP is so expensive.
PSP is so big.

DS in it's second holiday season and Nintendo kickin it old school (as if Nintendo kicks it any other way) with Mario Kart, Mario and Luigi and Animal Crossing.

15,578 difference?

You forgot the part that the DS is half the price and they have offered both Nintendogs and Mario Kart bundles and still only sold 15,578 more.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2005, 09:59:58 AM »

Damn misguided that's the second post in reference to working for gamestop and I really can't hold it back anymore.. Is it all it's made out to be? Decent pay? I'm thinking of applying.

The DS may be out selling the PSP (it being over $100 less than the PSP being one of the main factors obviously) but look at everything the PSP can do that the DS can't - graphics, browse the internet, do "real 3d" games, play mp3s, and watch movies.
I've had both systems (going to be getting another PSP after the holidays again, just wish Sony would get with the game and drop that redicilous price.. I'm more tempted to buy an Xbox 360 core than a $250 psp if they are right next to eachother on the shelf) ) and the size isn't that big of a difference.
The psp looks really sleek, and if you get the logitech hard case, it's easy to transport around.
A lot more games for the PSP will be supporting online play out of the box than for the DS.
Man I'm really starting to miss my old PSP.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2005, 01:12:13 PM »

Devil - if you say anything, and I mean ANYTHING bad about Animal Crossing I'm going to kick your ass!  You are treading on thin ice my friend (much like your NHL team)  :wink:

Stay AWAY from Animal Crossing! biggrin

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2005, 01:46:10 PM »

Devil - if you say anything, and I mean ANYTHING bad about Animal Crossing I'm going to kick your ass! You are treading on thin ice my friend (much like your NHL team)

Oh, no, I wouldn't say anything bad about AC. My wife and all the other girls who love the game will track me down and beat me with their 'Hello Kitty' backpacks!

I'll be sure to lay of Nintendogs, Pokemon and any Barbie game you might be playing as well!  :wink:

My team stinks right now. I can't argue that.

(I actually don't think AC is that bad)

Scott

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2005, 02:04:23 PM »

Paging Andrew Mallon (and probably Scott to argue). I thought you said that the PSP was crushing the DS in sales?

I never claimed either was outselling them, you have me confused.  This argument isn't going anywhere, so I hope those with the DS continue to enjoy your games, whether they are original or not smile.

Stay AWAY from Animal Crossing!  

I just don't understand the appeal of this game, seemed so slow on the Gamecube.  Though, I didn't like Sims on the PC either.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2005, 02:09:23 PM »

I actually proclaimed the PSP would be the big XMAS winner.

I WAS WRONG.

That said, it is close considering the PSP is 100$ more.

If prices were the same we would have a better race.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2005, 02:12:58 PM »

Quote from: "depward"
Realistically though, aside from making this post just do do some "rabble-rouser'y", both the DS and PSP have pretty good numbers.  Competition is good in the video game business!  It can only benefit both systems.

I agree completely. I don't get the mentality that one system has to "win". I think they are both good systems that serve different needs/markets/tastes. Personally, like Roguetad, I think the fact that Sony has a handheld machine that even comes close to Nintendo's numbers is a victory of sorts for Sony. After all, what was their percentage of the handheld market before the PSP came out?

In answer to corruptrelic's question about working at Gamestop, I had been at Barnes and Noble, and being in a smaller retail environment was appealing to me. I also had the tremendous fortune to go to work for a manager whose abilities I greatly admire and that happens to be an excellent teacher. I made the switch to a position with a lot more responsibility for the same money. Some people would consider that a bad thing, but for me it was just right.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2005, 02:13:27 PM »

Scott, I agree with you.

I prefer the PSP, but love Nintendo.. and I just dont get the appeal of Animal Crossing. I dont have the time that kids have to pull weeds.

I bought it based on the GG effect and it was not my game.

LOVE those Wario Games.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2005, 02:23:01 PM »

Quote from: "HankRaptor"
Scott, I agree with you.

I prefer the PSP, but love Nintendo.. and I just dont get the appeal of Animal Crossing. I dont have the time that kids have to pull weeds.

I bought it based on the GG effect and it was not my game.

LOVE those Wario Games.

There really aren't that many weeds to pull.   What I do is play for about 15 minutes per day.  It being on the DS now makes it the perfect pick up and go game.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2005, 02:59:10 PM »

I'll be sure to lay of Nintendogs, Pokemon and any Barbie game you might be playing as well!  :wink:

Barbie is hot!!!:D

My team stinks right now. I can't argue that.

Mine too.:cry:

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2005, 03:14:49 PM »

Scott, I agree with you.

I prefer the PSP, but love Nintendo.. and I just dont get the appeal of Animal Crossing.

Good, at least someone else does smile.  I don't mean to attack the game, but I just don't see the appeal.  I guess if I wanted to play a sim game, I'd start with the Hugh Hefner one, and even that looks dull.  So many more DS games look better to me at least.

I may grab the DS on its second revision.  Nintendo always refines the products, so when the DS is half the size, I may be in.  We'll see.  Then it would be more portable to me then the PSP.

---
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2005, 03:46:01 PM »

Paging Andrew Mallon (and probably Scott to argue). I thought you said that the PSP was crushing the DS in sales? And how in November the PSP sales would pick up

I've been called out! I'm happy to be wrong, as I'd like to see the DS outsell the PSP. It has a better line up of games, quite frankly. I just didn't think the DS had strong enough appeal in North America to pull ahead of the PSP and the array of EA Sports ports in its library. We'll see if it can continue to do so, especially if Sony starts dropping the price of the PSP next year.

Anyone know what the November tie ratio for the two consoles was? It'd be interesting to see howthe two handhelds are doing in software sales.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2005, 05:11:09 PM »

The PSP is so expensive.
PSP is so big.

15,578 difference?

This thread is OVER!!!
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2005, 06:07:16 PM »

It's never over!!

WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2005, 07:22:40 PM »

Man, when I was in the game store earlier today I looked at the back of the box of GTA:Stories, Ape Escape (PSP), Smackdown vs Raw (PSP), SSX on Tour (PSP).  Anyway, I was looking and I realized how great the graphics were and how I really wanted to play them!  Then I looked at the feature lists on the back of these games and they all listed:
"PSP Exclusive: Dramatic Slowdown Effects!"
"PSP Exclusive: Mega Loading Time!"
"PSP Exclusive: Half the Features of the Console Version!"

I then put the boxes down and ran away.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2005, 07:36:47 PM »

Man, when I was in the game store earlier today I looked at the back of the box of GTA:Stories, Ape Escape (PSP), Smackdown vs Raw (PSP), SSX on Tour (PSP). Anyway, I was looking and I realized how great the graphics were and how I really wanted to play them! Then I looked at the feature lists on the back of these games and they all listed:

If you could have muscled your way through the 6-year-olds to what you thought was the DS games, you may have been shocked to find out that you were actually looking at the N64 games but couldn't tell the difference.

biggrin

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2005, 08:19:17 PM »

Quote from: "GatorFavre"
Man, when I was in the game store earlier today I looked at the back of the box of GTA:Stories, Ape Escape (PSP), Smackdown vs Raw (PSP), SSX on Tour (PSP).  Anyway, I was looking and I realized how great the graphics were and how I really wanted to play them!  Then I looked at the feature lists on the back of these games and they all listed:

"PSP Exclusive: DRAMATIC analog NUB!"

TheMissingLink on PSN
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2005, 08:24:16 PM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
Quote from: "GatorFavre"

How could I forget about the nub??  It makes controlling games like FPSs so easy!

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2005, 08:29:34 PM »

or the DS's analog...nevermind...

Scott

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2005, 09:04:16 PM »

You are forgetting the DS's unique touch screen support, that's never been done before, and is incredibly orginal!

Well, unless you've seen a PDA in the past 10 years I guess, then its not so new, original, or exciting.  Nevermind.

If you could have muscled your way through the 6-year-olds to what you thought was the DS games, you may have been shocked to find out that you were actually looking at the N64 games but couldn't tell the difference.

Or GBA games!

Enjoy your unique, never before seen, exciting, fresh, DS games, with the crisp high resolution graphics on two screens, making the PS2 and 360 look old school!  Enjoy the incredible sound effects, music and movies the games have too!

Okay, that's all the time I have for stupid arguments today!

---
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2005, 09:54:12 PM »

Sometimes...the DS touches me...

TheMissingLink on PSN
depward

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2005, 10:14:07 PM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
Sometimes...the DS touches me...

Ooh la la!

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2005, 10:19:08 PM »

If I can find it I'll post the link where Sony said they expected to sell some 12 million(might be too high) units this holiday season. Numbers clearly show that won't happen.

What you are all missing is the fact that the GBA outsold both of the machines COMBINED.

So argue all the silly points you want, GBA is still the overlord of portable gaming.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2005, 10:23:30 PM »

Yeah, but the GBA doesn't touch me.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2005, 11:33:41 PM »

why would a disgruntled red waterbuffalo* care about analog sticks? Dev, your hooves are too imprecise anyways. Might I suggest a Dance mat, or go big with the original xbox controller?

*- nice avatar. slywink

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2005, 01:01:38 AM »

I'm hoof-nubbing at a 4th grade level!!!

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2005, 03:27:34 AM »

I'm hoof-nubbing at a 4th grade level!!!

Quick, call ESPN.  We've got an Instant Classic! :lol:

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2006, 07:43:58 PM »

Early NPD leaks indicate the PSP slightly outsold the DS in December. Both handhelds were over 1,000,000 for the month.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2006, 08:32:09 PM »

Quote from: "Andrew Mallon"
Early NPD leaks indicate the PSP slightly outsold the DS in December. Both handhelds were over 1,000,000 for the month.

Are these world numbers?  If so, keep in mind that Nintendo ran out of them.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2006, 08:49:16 PM »

Are these world numbers? If so, keep in mind that Nintendo ran out of them.

Nintendo ran out of worlds or numbers?  :wink:

I think we were talking about US numbers when doing all the DS/PSP comparisons.

Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2006, 09:17:22 PM »

Yep. Devil's correct. Those are U.S. numbers only.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2006, 03:15:13 AM »

Yep, it seems as though the DS and PSP sold roughly about the same amount of units in the U.S. though in Japan the DS is greatly outselling the PSP.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: