http://gamingtrend.com
September 19, 2014, 09:55:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Who Won the Hype battle?  (Voting closed: May 09, 2006, 10:59:57 PM)
Nintendo -- Wii Tennis rocks - 45 (66.2%)
Microsoft - Hail to the chief - 20 (29.4%)
Sony - BluRay or bust - 3 (4.4%)
Total Voters: 67

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who won the Hype Battle?  (Read 883 times)
Andrew Mallon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 09, 2006, 10:59:57 PM »

Okay, now that the three press conferences are over, who had the best showing? I'm going to have to go with Nintendo first, Microsoft second, and Sony dead, dead last.

I picked Nintendo because they made a good case for the Wii controller and focused squarely on the games for their platforms. Microsoft second. Although they had a strong line up, the sameness of the titles shown, and I think they bored themselves when they were talking about Live-enabling cell phone. Sony last, because well, nothing they showed gamewise justified the premium price of the console.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 11:33:16 PM »

I vote Nintendo with Microsoft not too far behind in second.  Playing with the Wii looks like a lot of fun (I don't think that'll ever sound right) and I feel genuine excitement for what it has to offer.  

Microsoft has the next generation wave of games coming and it will be interesting to see if they can improve on the first wave.  

Sony just looked like they weren't ready or they didn't have much to offer.  Hopefully it was more of the former and given some time they'll deliver.  It just didn't look promising from the press conference.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 11:37:02 PM »

I voted MS first, cause I really liked the games they showed and the whole Xbox Live thing. They wowed everyone with GTA 4 and Halo 3.

Nintendo did well, but I am still not sold on the new control stuff. Mario looked fun and so did Red Steel. Zelda looked good as well.

Sony, well, nothing more can really be said about their massive screwup. I still can't believe it.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 12:08:16 AM »

Nintendo wins, at least they are trying something new.  Sony and Microsoft just regurgitated the same old crap.  Oh boy, Halo 3!  :roll:   Yawn.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2006, 12:29:37 AM »

I'd say Nintendo since they're demoing a wiivolutionary upcomming product, sony seems to be hype hype hype, and MS's product is already out so their's seems to be more of a ra ra rally.

"We do what we must because we can."
X-Box Live: TragicNut
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2006, 01:16:39 AM »

Quote from: "Scott"
Nintendo wins, at least they are trying something new.  Sony and Microsoft just regurgitated the same old crap.  Oh boy, Halo 3!  :roll:   Yawn.

I never get this.... so instead we get Mario Party 45, Super Smash Brothers 52, Zelda 39, Super Mario Brothers 100, Mario Kart 85 and Pokemon 1000.  

A lot of the games in these series are good, but somehow it is only okay if Nintendo rides a franchise to its grave.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2006, 01:28:07 AM »

A lot of the games in these series are good, but somehow it is only okay if Nintendo rides a franchise to its grave.

The way I see it is that Nintendo manages to keep the gameplay of its core franchises fresh year after year. The only games that really impressed me from Microsoft this year are Shadowrun (nice art style, but iI knbow nothing about the gameply yet) and the Sakaguchi game.  Everything else they did was pretty uninteresting. Like I said in another thread, how many titles can Microsoft develop at once that feature a bald, muscle-bound space marine in combat armor:

Halo 3
Mass Effect
Gears of War
Too Human

That's like half of their lineup right there, and you could pretty much take any character model from any of those four titles and put it in any of the other titles and it wouldn't look out of place. That's generic design to me.

EDIT: Let's talk about plots. Halo 3: humanity is on the edge of extinction. Gears of War: Humanity is on the edge of extinction. Too Human: Humanity is on the edge of extinction. What's the gameplay of all three? Blow shit up.

EDIT 2: After rereading my post it comes off stronger than I intended. I actually think all of these are going to be good games,  I just think Microsoft needs to expand their portfolio more. I'm not condeming Microsoft's line up, just giving them a little tough love smile
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2006, 01:30:57 AM »

I voted Nintendo, but yeah, Microsoft was very close behind.

I just can't stop getting more excited about the Wii the more I see of it.  And seeing the controls in action right there on the demos really helped.  This is going to be my system of choice this generation, though I am very happy with my 360 as well and quite excited about a number of upcoming titles for it.

Oddly, unlike normal, I'm more excited about the other titles that are coming for the Wii than the primary Nintendo franchise titles (Zelda, Mario, & Metroid).  Those sports games look great, Wario Ware could be incredibly entertaining, that Excite Truck game looks entertaining.  I'm still excited about the main franchises, but I'm more eager to see what else is being cooked up.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2006, 01:43:24 AM »

I feel compelled to mention that I'm really tempted by the X360 for cromehounds and a few other games, but nothing really JUMPS out at me.

"We do what we must because we can."
X-Box Live: TragicNut
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2006, 01:56:04 AM »

I voted MS but must admit that, with very few exceptions, Nintendo always seems focused on a different market than what I'm in.   From a market potential point of view I think Nintendo has some really interesting possibilities; they may even re-define gaming to the point of making MS and Sony look like they completely missed the boat.  Or, it could end up being a crash and burn of Virtual Boy proportions.  It'll probably be in between, but my gut feeling says they're still in third place worldwide when the dust settles in a few years.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2006, 02:14:35 AM »

my vote goes to Microsoft.  sure, Nintendo presented a few interesting new titles and ideas, but nothing that really impressed me like some of the stuff from MS.  i also give the nod to MS because of all the things they're doing outside the console market.  bringing Live! to the pc and mobile gaming worlds has the potential to be huge, and i don't think there's been another game shown yet that looks as impressive as Crysis.

that's just my opinion though, and i do have to agree with Sarkus's sentiment that i feel like i don't quite fit in the crowd that Nintendo is aiming for right now.  the ideas behind the Wii are cool, but i just don't see myself that interested in playing games that way long term.  to each his own though...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2006, 02:21:45 AM »

I voted Nintendo, because they are Finally putting their money where their mouth is. It's only been what? 10 years? It's good to see them actually showing stuff that lives up to their own hype. Definately not for everyone, but it truly does go in line with what they have been talking about for the last year and a half.

I have made up my mind for the near future too, MS will get some money from me sooner or later for the ole' 360. I figure I'll goto Costco and get a deal on it. Save up some cash or land a big account, or buy my wife the Hammock she's always wanted and secretly grab the Xbox for myself. I have the PS2 right now and from what I've seen I'm covered on the Playstation front until the PS3 comes into the 200's.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2006, 02:32:42 AM »

I never get this.... so instead we get Mario Party 45, Super Smash Brothers 52, Zelda 39, Super Mario Brothers 100, Mario Kart 85 and Pokemon 1000.

I agree about the titles.  I'm just hopeful the new controller design is fun and innovative, so the titles will feel fresh.  I realize it'll be the same Mario Kart tracks, mushroom Mario jumps, and Zelda moves, but maybe they'll be fun again?

Microsoft and Sony's games are completely recycled this time, nothing really compelling about them.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2006, 02:36:07 AM »

Well considering I only watched the Sony one, I'll go with Microsoft.

Kidding.

I'm the loner PS3 vote.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2006, 12:49:07 PM »

Nope - I think PS3 will create the most talk - Good or bad...

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
tcweidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
I
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2006, 02:10:39 PM »

I agree with scott, ms=boring same ol same ol, ps3= pricey but wait and see, nintendo ( which I usually hate)= a breath of fresh air.

This whole hobby needs new innovative ideas and that controller may just be it. Last year my favorite game without a doubt, nothing EVEN CLOSE console wise, was Guitar Hero. It was different and fun. That is what this industry needs IMHO.

Project Reindeer Games- Exclusive Family Friendly PC Games to Give, Play, and Share for Free.
Mattc0m

Hardcore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2006, 03:46:59 PM »

You know, to me, it's about the games. Nintendo didn't actually really impress me in the games department, it was all about the Wii controller. I have to agree that the Nintendo conference was the best to watch, but I got my excited over some of the Xbox 360 annoucements - between the Gears of War video, Halo 3 trailer, and some of the reels, the games coming out looks pretty fantastic.

matt "mattc0m" richards
new project: GamesCast TV: eSports Television
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2006, 05:24:22 PM »

In terms of HYPE:

Sony absolutely failed to deliver, I wasn't really hyped about the Microsoft conference but I felt like Nintendo stepped up and delivered.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2006, 06:35:44 PM »

I thought the poll was for who would try to use hype the most... I was wrong. I want to change from Sony to Nintendo.

Nintendo built themselves a PR rollercoaster and rode it like a pro... they bring us down suddenly and unexpectedly (Wii), and then sweep up and to the left with the use of it.

The only thing I'm wondering about the Wii is the point of it if it doesn't deliver immersion on a graphical level. That may be my GFX_Whore coded into my brain, but I think it's a valid concern.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2006, 07:02:29 PM »

Where's the "everyone lost" choice?

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2006, 07:37:13 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2006, 09:17:59 PM »

Quote from: "ATB"

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2006, 12:33:22 PM »

No Arm-for-a-Tongue You ?
No I've-got-to-point-with-the-arm-of-a-man-stuck-inside-me You ?
No Where-did-my-watch-go You ?
No Hey-my-hand-smells-like-poop You ?

I don't get it. Maybe there is some (humour) there. I don't think it's worth wading into waist-deep crap to find it, I guess.

It would seem like ATB called "Rock" and instead of paper, you came up with chinchilla.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2006, 01:14:48 PM »

Nintendo for two reasons:

1) They were the only one of the big three to have some major surprise games- I had no idea that we would be getting a new Yoshi's Island, Paper Mario, Phoenix Wright, and the Dragon Quest Wii game and those franchises are huge to me.  Meanwhile there wasn't a single major new game announcement from Sony or MS that hadn't already been leaked before the show.  

2) The DS continues to kick all sorts of ass- the previously mentioned Yoshi's Island and Phoenix Wright plus Zelda: Phantom Mirror, Final Fantasy 3 DS, Dragon Quest: Rocket Slime, Final Fantasy 5 & 6 for GBA, Ouendan port, Castlevania Portrait of Ruin- the list goes on and on.  The DS probably has more must have titles coming in the next year than any other console for me.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2006, 06:53:51 PM »

Quote from: "Purge"

I don't get it. Maybe there is some (humour) there. I don't think it's worth wading into waist-deep crap to find it, I guess.

It would seem like ATB called "Rock" and instead of paper, you came up with chinchilla.
You're reading way too far into it for an internet macro.

It just means, "No, you."

ATB = "stfu"
Me = "no u"

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2006, 07:25:01 PM »

Getting thing back on track, I think Nintendo gets extra Kudos for once again demonstrating that the DS will have killer software to fill our bellies once again.

Soo many cool games are being shown DS-wise, it also seems like this coming year will be the year of the DS rpg. I've counted no less than 10 DS rpgs coming. Now we can only hope they are better than previous DS rpgs.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2006, 08:04:49 PM »

Quote from: "Purge"

You're reading way too far into it for an internet macro.

It just means, "No, you."

ATB = "stfu"
Me = "no u"

Have no fear. I understood and I didn't say stfu, I said shh.
unbreakable
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2006, 08:18:35 PM »

Zelda + Metroid + everything else

Nintendo has a pretty damn powerful launch lined up.  Kudos to them for planning it out so well, and then executing it so well!  It seemed like they succeeded at the former but failed at the latter with the GC.

I've never been ashamed to admit, I buy Nintendo consoles for two things: 1. Zelda games, and 2. Metroid games.  So for me, they have already won me over... I may never like the stupid name, but I can complain while I'm carrying it home, which is all that matters.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2006, 03:01:41 PM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
I've never been ashamed to admit, I buy Nintendo consoles for two things: 1. Zelda games, and 2. Metroid games.  So for me, they have already won me over... I may never like the stupid name, but I can complain while I'm carrying it home, which is all that matters.

"Unbreakable, that's one DAMNED big box you're carrying..."
"Yeah, well, my Wii is pretty damned big."

I dunno;  I think it could work to your advantage.

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2006, 06:04:02 PM »

My vote went to Nintendo for the following reasons:

1) One of my major concerns with the Wii controller had been the idea of trying to set up a sensor net around your television.  Now we know that the "sensor net" is like a single black panel or strip that you put down on or near your television.  Simple!

2) According to every report I can find Zelda, Mario, and WarioWare look and control fantastically.  These are major franchises for Nintendo, especially Zelda, and getting them out near the Wii's release will mean a *huge* launch for the new system.

3) Metroid Prime: Corruption.  I like Zelda, but I *love* the Metroid Prime games.  I would have bought a Wii for this game sight unseen, but the fact that it's there, it's playable, and it contols so well makes this one of my most anticipated games.  The skeptic in me makes me doubt we'll really see this available at the system's launch, but I'm extremely excited for it nonetheless!

-Autistic Angel
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2006, 08:28:41 AM »

Voted for Nintendo, but this has to be the most boring E3 I can remember. Not one decent surprise. And Sony really don't appear to have a clue.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2006, 05:38:09 PM »

Quote from: "JayG"
Sony really don't appear to have a clue.

Personally I was surprised by just that.

I was surprised that Microsoft didn't crash and burn.

I am surprised by just how much people flipped out over the Wii.  People LOVE Nintendo.  That in itself is not surprising but seeing the full extent was.

I thought it was a fun E3.  Seems better (to me, anyway) than last year where we saw a ton of crappy 360 demos, some admittedly nice late-gen PS2 titles, Sony and Nintendo showing mockups full of "future."  This year I saw a great number of titles from all camps that I actually want to play and some real info on the hardware.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2006, 06:03:15 PM »

People always get excited about Nintendo at E3, but someway or another Nintendo finds a way to flub it up. Except for the "year of connectivity" Nintendo has had solid to great E3's since 2001, when they debuted Gamecube, but they seemingly drop the ball.

I am much more confident, however, this time because the words have matched the actions thus far. On top of that, the lower development costs and requirements make me feel much more confident in Nintendo not having any Dry months.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: