http://gamingtrend.com
July 26, 2014, 03:08:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who Knew?: Pokemon is Fun  (Read 2393 times)
Chesspieceface
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: October 14, 2004, 07:17:53 AM »

Well, I guess this is something of a confessional.  I'm 29 and a business professional, who finds himself playing LeafGreen in the Souplantation on lunch breaks, or lying down in the dark at night for bedtime. (Gotta love that SP)

I'm sure at times I must have publicly shunned the entire franchise for its invasive kiddie consumerism (Chin-poko-mon?).  I never gave it a chance.  I figured for $25 with the free wireless adapter I may as well try a remake of a classic.  

Fawk.  I can't wait to figure out how to evolve my Pikachu.  How absurd.  Anyone else with this (not-so) private shame?
dangerballs
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2004, 07:22:31 AM »

Pokemon is strangely addictive.  Its simple, yet still has a lot of depth and choice.  I've been a fan since Red and Blue.

BTW, your pokemon will evolve on their own.  You can play things like the Thunderstone (which will evolve an electric pokemon like Pikachu). Using those will provide an early burst of power, but will also seriously cripple your pokemon in the end.  You should level your pokemon up the hard way, using things like candy to level will increase your power, but only at a fraction of what a real level-up would.

What's Cooking at Hacienda de Bolas del Peligro?

PC: Tomb Raider | Xbox360: GTA V | PS3: Infamous 2, Ni No Kuni
Zagreus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2004, 09:17:49 AM »

count me in - I've been playing gameboy PokĂ©mon games since the late 90's - all while in my 30's  :oops: biggrin

I believe Pikachu can only be evolved into Raichu through use of a ThunderStone  - but that may have changed in the new version (I've not played LeafGreen or FireRed yet)

Zagreus sits inside your head
Zagreus lives among the dead
Zagreus sees you in your bed
And eats you when you're sleeping!
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2004, 12:21:02 PM »

Yup I play. In fact I play sapphire more then leafgreen. I don't know why but after having played both I prefer Sapphire. But, yes I play pokemon games to.

Ascendent
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2004, 01:03:06 PM »

Count me in too.  I'm still playing Sapphire and have about 25 Pokemon all around Level 15-20 each.  I'm having trouble making progress because I want each of my Pokemon to level evenly.

The one thing that annoys me about Sapphire, or any other Pokemon games I guess, is that during battle there is no way to know what "type" of Pokemon you are fighting against unless you have them memorized.  It would be a great help if I knew the type during battle so that I can counter correctly.

I also have Pokemon Colliseum for the Gamecube, which is also very addicting and it has the connectivity with the GBA-SP Pokemon games.  My son has already solved this game.  It was a blast watching him go through the Mt. Battle 100 battles.

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2004, 01:32:36 PM »

Played Ruby when I first got my SP... it was fun for a while, but I think the simplicity of it wore on me... (that and randomly diving in the ocean looking for something to advance the story- I forget what now)

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Zagreus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2004, 01:40:33 PM »

I'm playing Sapphire and I reached the diving section a few weeks ago. it got old fast so I put the game aside for a while - I expect I'll get back to it soon and burn through that section onto more goodness.

Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2004, 01:55:29 PM »

Haven't gotten to the diving section yet.  I just wish that when you get your first  pokemon that it'd would be something other then the 3 standard ones. I'd much prefer an rpg approach to it and choosing from any of the pokemon in the game.  Maybe answer a few questions and based on answers you get paired up with a pokemon. *shrugs*

Ascendent
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2004, 02:35:27 PM »

I started playing Pokemon back with Red and Blue and that was me in my late 20s.  I even used to watch the cartoon (boy, that is embarassing).  I had a bunch of Pokemon plush toys which I have since given to my son.  At any rate, I didn't bother getting Green or Red since I had already beaten Blue (even though they added some stuff to the new ones) and didn't really have a need for the wireless adapter.  However, I will get Pokemon Dash when it comes out for the DS and I have owned both Pokemon Pinball games, Pokemon Colliseum, and Pokemon Snap.  Damnit, those Pokemon just have their hooks in me!

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2004, 03:31:58 PM »

Although I don't play Pokemon anymore, back when Blue and Red was all the rage, I was a huge fan. Played them alot, I had the Blue, then Yellow versions. Used to take my Game Boy Pocket to school and trade and fight with my friends. It was fun. It went out like a fad at my school, so I ran out of people to trade/play with, so I stopped.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2004, 03:58:39 PM »

"...yes, doctor, these are the disturbed people right here. Watch out; they tend to throw white and red balls at you when backed into a corner."

Just teasin' ya... this is coming from a guy who has the Xbox Karaoke game. paranoid

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Semaj

View Profile
heh
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2004, 01:58:11 AM »

I played my pokemon Saphire from beginning to end,.. it and Final Fantasy Tactics are reasons for owning gameboy advance....

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Chesspieceface
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2004, 07:16:15 AM »

I've actually had the same thoughts as Stardrifter and Ascendant above.

It's irritating not being able to remember what counter you need. In LG.FR there is this Pokedex that records what you know about each pokemon.  After you have the type recorded in there you should be able to view that in battle.  

And, I also agree that random starting Pokemon would improve replayability significantly.  Since its unlikely that I am gonna hang with any 8-12 year olds to trade or battle with the cart. will become way less attractive after once through. Obviously Charmander kicks Squirtle and Bulbosaur completely. =D

Someone kill me now.
Zagreus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2004, 07:31:20 AM »

but in LeafGreen there must be around 200 capturable Pokemon - still plenty of scope for choosing to concentrate on a different squad on your second run through the game smile

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2004, 08:50:45 AM »

This thread is evil.

You heard me. Evil.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2004, 11:13:46 AM »

*laughs* yes, yes it is evil but you cannot withstand the power that is poke. Succumb to our evil. Yield to the darkness that is in your heart. The darkness that is held in a pokeball.

Ascendent
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2004, 02:03:26 PM »

Quote from: "Thin_J"
This thread is evil.

You heard me. Evil.

I think everyone who posted should be banned.
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2004, 02:49:29 PM »

I'm 37.  A few weeks ago I talked one of my coworkers into getting LeafGreen while I got FireRed.  They turned out to be pretty fun, not just kiddie games after all.  We're having a good time comparing notes and strategies now.

Now playing: Suikoden 2 [PSX], Neverwinter Nights 2 [PC]
dangerballs

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2004, 03:29:12 PM »

Quote from: "Demosthenes"

And, I also agree that random starting Pokemon would improve replayability significantly.  Since its unlikely that I am gonna hang with any 8-12 year olds to trade or battle with the cart. will become way less attractive after once through. Obviously Charmander kicks Squirtle and Bulbosaur completely. =D

If you play the yellow edition, you get to start with Pikachu and you get to see him follow you around the whole game.

What's Cooking at Hacienda de Bolas del Peligro?

PC: Tomb Raider | Xbox360: GTA V | PS3: Infamous 2, Ni No Kuni
Gwen
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2004, 04:18:01 PM »

Never played one of the Pokes

So, If I really liked Animal House on the cube would this appeal to me?  Harvest Moon has been fun but tedious on my SP.

We can't all be heros.  Some of us have to sit on the curb and clap as they pass by.
Chesspieceface
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2004, 01:20:09 AM »

Quote from: "Beer Goggles"
Quote from: "Thin_J"
This thread is evil.

You heard me. Evil.

I think everyone who posted should be banned.

You know the crazy part is six months ago I would have posted the same thing. Tongue

But I thought, "this franchise has been consistently succesful in every incarnation.  It can't be just kids playing it, they have no money."  I looked at reviews for them over a long period of time.  And finally there was a brand new release at an awesome price.  

It was money well spent.

Its a great game concept, and disturbingly addictive.  I do wish it had more action ala Megaman Battle Network but aside from the pace of the battles at times, one of the better GBA games in my Ziploc baggie of 20 or so.

So what if it was spawned by satan?

:twisted:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: