http://gamingtrend.com
October 31, 2014, 01:47:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: When creating your in game character, what type of character do you tend to create  (Voting closed: April 03, 2008, 08:48:42 PM)
A Character that represents me. - 18 (50%)
A character that represent who I wish I was. - 7 (19.4%)
A character thats easy on the eyes. (Opposite Sex) - 8 (22.2%)
My inner demon. - 1 (2.8%)
I use the auto gen. feature. - 0 (0%)
The developers choice works well for me.(Default Character) - 2 (5.6%)
Total Voters: 35

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who is your in game character?  (Read 1067 times)
JuniorDan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 24, 2008, 08:48:42 PM »

I personally seems to always create characters based on me and my personality when applicable. For some reason I feel it is necessary to have my self in the game, after all we play game because we enjoy the fantasy world that will never be real to any of use, right? 

I did this pole to see where the rest of you stand, when it comes to creating your character in games. Particularly the ones that are  very technical in character creations. Games like Mass Effect, Tiger Woods would get my likeness. Games like WoW and any other fantasy games I would mostly pick Humans or elfs because they closely represent humans. RTS games I am always the good buy first and would only get less than half way through the bad guys stories when applicable before I no longer interested in the game.

Does this suggest anything good or bad about me?
This is my first poll so pardon me if its not set up correctly

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ()  ()  ()
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ()  ()  ()
PS3 Spinks
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 08:55:40 PM »

(√) An avatar that represents the character I'm creating

In Oblivion, for example, my "berserker" character looked totally different from my "stealthy" character and my "nobleborn" character.  I think of a character concept and design the look of the character to match that concept as best as possible.  Sometimes it's modelled loosely around my own personality, but often not.
Wolves
Gaming Trend Reader

DAMMIT!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 08:57:59 PM »

Depends. Sometimes I'll try to make the biggest/coolest/smallest/dorkiest person possible. So, I guess someone that stands out. Other times I'll just make them look like me or one of my friends....or someone famous/infamous.

I guess I have video game multiple personality disorder.  icon_lol

IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 08:59:36 PM »

I like to be a sassy black woman.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 09:10:16 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 24, 2008, 08:55:40 PM

In Oblivion, for example, my "berserker" character looked totally different from my "stealthy" character and my "nobleborn" character.  I think of a character concept and design the look of the character to match that concept as best as possible.  Sometimes it's modelled loosely around my own personality, but often not.

+1.  this describes it perfectly.  my mass effect character was chosen for this reason.  same with the godfather.  now, saints row was chosen just because i didn't want another white guy, just to be different.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 09:10:33 PM »

Mostly a char that represents me.  In the case of some games like Mass Effect, I use the default.  In Zelda, I name my character Link.
unbreakable
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 09:14:26 PM »

I put "as I wish I was", but it's really based on me.  You know, if I could bench press a bus and jump-kick somebody's head through a brick wall.

But just because customization is there doesn't mean I use it.  If it's just superficial, like changing the name, I'll just keep the default name.  This is especially wise in games like Final Fantasy, since changing names like that can make it confusing when reading walkthroughs and the like.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 09:16:19 PM by unbreakable » Logged
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 09:17:26 PM »

You know what's weird?  I can never roleplay an evil character, because I start getting pangs of conscience.  I always name my first character "Lee" and make him look like me.  So I guess I pick myself.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 09:22:38 PM »

You know, I voted "easy on the eyes," but that's only true in some games (I have an all girl band in Rock Band, for example).  In RPGs, I always pick a good character.  Like Eel, I have a hard time playing evil if I have a choice.  I still beat myself up for taking the easy route in Bioshock.

My main character name has been Bullwinkle from way back when I first played the original Minesweeper on an office computer.  Unless Bullwinkle doesn't fit.  Then it's BW or Bwink (I usually use that for females).  The other characters usually have names like Rocky, Natasha, Boris, Nell, or Snidely.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
unbreakable
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 09:44:08 PM »

Quote from: Eel Snave on March 24, 2008, 09:17:26 PM

You know what's weird?  I can never roleplay an evil character, because I start getting pangs of conscience.  I always name my first character "Lee" and make him look like me.  So I guess I pick myself.

A lot of times I have the same problem.  I usually have to play the goody-two-shoes.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 10:21:44 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on March 24, 2008, 09:44:08 PM

Quote from: Eel Snave on March 24, 2008, 09:17:26 PM

A lot of times I have the same problem.  I usually have to play the goody-two-shoes.

Yep I always play the role of light side Jedi.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2008, 10:22:41 PM »

Where's the option for "Kevin Grey"?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2008, 12:51:59 AM »

who am I in game?

I'm.....

BATMAN!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2008, 01:01:36 AM »

I usually start off trying to be good, but find myself slipping more and more towards the most efficient way forwards... ie, evil.

"We do what we must because we can."
X-Box Live: TragicNut
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2008, 02:21:23 AM »

Quote from: Atragon on March 25, 2008, 01:01:36 AM

I usually start off trying to be good, but find myself slipping more and more towards the most efficient way forwards... ie, evil.

'Now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb' is my motto.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2008, 01:58:57 PM »

Exactly what I do.  My warrior types tend to be young and handsome.  My magic user is almost always a female.  Rogues are generally ugly.  Healers old.

FPS type games give fewer options.  I usually just try to make a guy I think will look the most distinctive (least popular) in the event I go online with it.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2008, 02:54:28 PM »

This is more or less my approach as well for RPG's. If I know the games setting at all,  I'll create a brief background for the character and then try to make the look of the avatar reflect this. I guess where the character is like me is that I always generally play a character of good or neutral alignment. Like some others here I'm not really comfortable playing evil character. I've completed games playing evil characters, but I've never gotten as much enjoyment when doing so.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2008, 05:44:04 PM »

I'm all over the bloody place when it comes to this question:

1) If it's a game where you have customization, yet still gives you a 'default' choice (Mass Effect), I'll usually take the default and leave it there, or make very minor changes.

2) If it's a game where I'll be playing for hours upon hours, and usually in a 3rd person view (most MMOs), I usually make a female character. If I'm going to be looking at an ass for 60 hours, I might as well make it a female one. smile

3) I rarely, if ever, change the default names if given the option. There's a reason why the names are there in the first place.

4) I pretty much always play the goodie-two-shoes character. I'm just the hero type person.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2008, 06:20:44 PM »

I almost always play as a male character in games - I'm female for those of you who don't know - because when I started gaming there often were no female characters, or they had metal bikinis for armor (sorry, not going to a sword fight in one of those).  After that, I sometimes customize the character to look and act more like me, or I go for a sort of Asian/African-American vibe, high cheekbones, and a kinda coffee-gold skin tone. Nice abs when possible... easy on the eyes for me.  nod

But the absolute necessity is the goodie character.  I adored Morrowind and was never able to force myself to even play a werewolf. I'm sure it was because I was a bit bratty as a child, and being brought up Catholic, I'm still paying for it.  icon_evil

But I'm always Mytocles or Myto, even when I'm clearly Link!  icon_biggrin

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2008, 06:30:42 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on March 24, 2008, 08:59:36 PM

I like to be a sassy black woman.

Mom?

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: