http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 02:24:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who finished Ninja Gaiden?  (Read 1272 times)
disarm
Gaming Trend Senior Member

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« on: May 16, 2006, 05:16:48 AM »

after playing NG:Black almost exclusively for the last week and a half, i finally beat the game on normal difficulty tonight...and think it's one of the coolest games i've ever played.  the difficulty is frustrating initially, but once you get a few chapters in and everything starts to click, it's a hell of a lot of fun just to kick ass on everything.  i can't remember the last time i finished a game where i had such a feeling of accomplishment when the credits started to roll.  in the end, i finished Normal with a ranking of 2468 out of 6847 people on the leaderboard...kinda proud that i finished in the top 1/2 on my first try smile

given that i've been playing it so much for the last week, i'm not really eager to jump back in right away, but i'm planning to try out the harder difficulties eventually...and see what mission mode is all about.  i also managed to find all the golden scarabs along the way and have the old NG arcade game to play Cool

now i'm curious...who else has beaten Ninja Gaiden?  i'm especially curious if anyone here has managed to finished the game on Master Ninja difficulty.  my hats are off to anyone who has accomplished that feat...

also of note...i played the whole game on my 360 and it ran perfectly thanks to the latest BC updates.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 05:26:23 AM »

lol, I saw it cleared in about 2 days... Played through the first 3 or 4 missions in no time and realised I knew how to beat everything and stopped...

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 05:27:06 AM »

I beat it on normal and got about 3/4 of the way through on hard before taking a break.  Haven't played through Black yet.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 05:31:10 AM »

I managed to beat the original version, but never tried Black.  Everybody bitches about the difficulty level, but once the gameplay 'clicks' for you its as easy as any other game out there.  I think the first 3-4 levels were by far the hardest, and the rest of the game went by pretty quickly after that.

Great game - I'd put it behind RE4 and God of War for best action game of this past generation.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 05:37:05 AM »

I beat the original, but haven't beaten Black.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 06:09:04 AM »

I made it to Spirit Doku and he laid multiple smackdowns on me, so I'm currently taking a break.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2006, 06:28:09 AM »

beat the original, haven't played black

loved it.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2006, 12:46:09 PM »

Ahh...my number 3 XBOX title of all time.

This was the first and only XBOX title that I ever pre-ordered.  Then I got the demo on OXM and started sweating.  I didn't dig it.  I figured what the heck and kept the pre-order.

I replayed the first level several times to get the controls down and once I was able to beat the first level boss without great difficulty, I moved on.  And thus, a love was born.

NG's cutscenes are still perhaps the best I've ever seen and I'm not sure how Team Ninja coaxed such smooth cinematics out of the BOX (especially the boobs  :roll: <how ridiculous>).

There were some frustrating moments, sure, but the biggest complaint that I remember was that girl boss (whose name I can't remember) but it only took me a 1/2 dozen times to beat her.

I did beat the original on Normal and planned to get back to it-still do. However, I'll probably play it through on the normal again since it has been 2 years...

What a masterpiece.
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2006, 01:13:04 PM »

Quote from: "ATB"
NG's cutscenes are still perhaps the best I've ever seen and I'm not sure how Team Ninja coaxed such smooth cinematics out of the BOX (especially the boobs  :roll: <how ridiculous>).

There were some frustrating moments, sure, but the biggest complaint that I remember was that girl boss (whose name I can't remember) but it only took me a 1/2 dozen times to beat her.

although the story is pretty generic, the cutscenes are fantastic...both in-engine and prerendered.  they have some of the coolest imagery i can remember and the quality is top notch.  one of my personal favorites is near the very end when you fall into the field of brightly colored flowers and watch it all die as that massive boss comes to life...just plain awesome.

as for frustrating moments, i didn't get too bogged down by any of the boss fights, but some of the long stretches between them took me a while.  i really didn't have too much trouble with Alma (the girl boss), but i did spend quite a bit of time trying to get past those two army tanks and the helicopter without using up all my potiions...a marathon battle where you don't even get to use your sword.  the final stretch where you go to hell, fight multiple bosses, then have to face the final boss with what few items you have left is a challenge as well, but i understood the mechanics enough at that point that i was able to take out the final boss on my second try...and got treated to a pretty cool ending cinematic Cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2006, 01:16:08 PM »

Never beat normal... got a good long way (I remember doubling back to the city and finished the "swimming" area.I don't recall why I stopped; I think it was another title that came along.

I didn't find it overly hard, and I found a cheap way to get your stuff maxxed out.
In the sewers level there is a "Chimney" you fall down in the sewers (it looks like a square well) has 10 bats, and they spawn 3 times. This is right before you face the single snake boss.
[list=1]
  • Fall down the chimney (without killing any bats)
  • Wait at the bottom while charging up an attack
  • Ignore the bats gathering around your head as they will sometimes hit you for minimal damage. (They don't interrupt your charge)
  • Unleash your charge attack to kill all of them (takes 2-5 sec for the majority to gather)
  • Immediately go into charging again to draw essence and build the combo.
  • Wait for the second volley of bats to be around your head, and unleash again.
  • Immediately go into charging for the third time and hold again.
  • Wait for the third set of bats to arrive and unleash.
  • Pick up the big yellow essence left over.
  • Run down the hallway to the "Y" shaped opening.
  • Run back to the base of the chimney.
  • repeat steps 2-11 until your yellow essence is full.
  • [/list:o]

Note that you can skip out once and just kill the bats for health essence instead of money.

IIRC, in ~25 minutes I was able to max out my essence. I then went to the shop and bought / upgraded most items and then went and filled up my essence to ~85000 (15k below max).

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2006, 05:12:56 PM »

I'm both ashamed and proud to admit I beat the original, twice.

First run - Normal, Master Ninja rating.
2nd run - Hard, Master NInja rating.

Can get frustrating, but racing against the clock to get the additional point bonus for finishing each encounter before the clock runs out adds another layer to an already amazing game.

I picked up NGB, but haven't gotten around to it (kind of sucks you have to beat it on normal to unlock all the fun goodies).

Easily one of my top 3 games of this generation (and sadly, overlooked by alot of Xbox nay-sayers).

Edit: Also, upgrading the wood sword to the Paddle O Doom, and using it to smack around soldiers and demons is one of the most satisfying experiences I've ever had in a game. Plus, you get to think to yourself the entire time:

'Shoot at me? Thats a paddlin...'
'Claw at me? Thats a paddlin...'
'Try to eat me, and tear me limb from limb? You better believe thats a paddlin...'
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2006, 05:49:48 PM »

I finished on Normal and felt very good about the time and effort I put into the game.  My final ninja rating was embarrassing.  

Quote from: "Semaj"
lol, I saw it cleared in about 2 days... Played through the first 3 or 4 missions in no time and realised I knew how to beat everything and stopped...

Interesting take on playing a game.  You should be proud of your gift.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2006, 07:42:21 PM »

I beat the original release of Ninja Gaiden on both Normal and Hard difficulties, and I'm now spending some of my free time playing Ninja Gaiden Black through on Normal.  My time has been fractured by trying to do so many things, so I just haven't had the opportunity to finish it yet.

On occasion, I've been known to start a new game and see how far I can make it without saving or dying.  (Continuing the game restarts from your most recent save, so if you never save the game, death means the game is over.)  I typically make it past the giant bone dragon before I finally get tired and simply quit.

I really, *really* like Ninja Gaiden.

-Autistic Angel
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2006, 08:17:59 PM »

Quote from: "Autistic Angel"
I really, *really* like Ninja Gaiden.

-Autistic Angel

very well-written review...and i agree with the whole thing Cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2006, 03:28:26 AM »

Thank you very much!  smile

-Autistic Angel
MerianMoriarty
Gaming Trend Reader

You will be baked, and then there will be cake.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2006, 05:56:16 PM »

finished NG a long time ago, but i'm stuck on the second fight with Alma in NG:B.  they changed her so much (the projectile immunity is a pain!) that i'm really having trouble dealing any significant damage to her without getting my ass tanked.

XBox Live Gamertag: M Moriarty

Currently Playing:
<360> eternal sonata/warriors orochi/PORTAL!/that-game-with-that-dude-in-the-spacesuit-and-all-those-alien-guys3
<XBox> ...
<PS2> ffxii (working on Yiazmat) (on indefinite hold)
<PSP> dead head
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2006, 07:02:50 PM »

I just started trying to play this again recently, and started over since it'd been so long since I last was trying to play it, and holy crap... I suck.  This game is DAMN hard (regular NG, not Black).  I need to find some kind of combat primer or something so I can learn wtf I'm doing.  I have no idea how I did so much better last time.  slywink

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2006, 07:23:53 PM »

Quote from: "MerianMoriarty"
finished NG a long time ago, but i'm stuck on the second fight with Alma in NG:B.  they changed her so much (the projectile immunity is a pain!) that i'm really having trouble dealing any significant damage to her without getting my ass tanked.

i actually figured out a pretty good strategy for the second Alma battle (on normal difficulty).  jump/roll to dodge her attacks when she's flying around and throwing stuff at you...don't try to attack her in the air.  when she lands on the ground to charge you, have the Dragon Sword equipped, spin the left stick and hold Y to charge up that spinning essence attack, then let go right before she runs into you.  you don't have time to charge the attack all the way before she runs at you (although using the armlet of celerity helps), but even at the first level it does a lot of damage on her...and you take minimal damage while spinning if you release the attack at the right time.  you'll lose some health most times you do this, but i was able to beat her using only one great spirit elixir.  the other thing to remember is rolling out of the way quickly after the attack...don't want to get picked up and thrown.  the Art of the Inazuma ninpo attack also works well if she gets in too close and you're in trouble...makes you invincible for a few seconds as it's casting, then knocks her to the ground so you have time for a nice charged combo Cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: