http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 03:08:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who else got a copy of F.E.A.R a day early?  (Read 6098 times)
Harpua3
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2005, 08:54:28 AM »

Quote from: "depward"
I dunno, I would REALLY consider getting F.E.A.R. if my computer was up to snuff.  I just don't think I would enjoy it with a low framerate and graphical options turned down really low.

What are you running?
depward

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2005, 09:36:35 AM »

Quote from: "Harpua3"
I dunno, I would REALLY consider getting F.E.A.R. if my computer was up to snuff.  I just don't think I would enjoy it with a low framerate and graphical options turned down really low.

What are you running?

AMD Athlon XP 2700+ running at 2.17GHz, 1 gig of ram, and a Geforce 4 4600ti video card.  I suppose it's runable . . . but with a game like F.E.A.R. I would really want to play it so it looked goooood.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2005, 07:46:10 PM »

Quote from: "Harpua3"

What are you running?

AMD Athlon XP 2700+ running at 2.17GHz, 1 gig of ram, and a Geforce 4 4600ti video card.  I suppose it's runable . . . but with a game like F.E.A.R. I would really want to play it so it looked goooood.

Your video card is going to kill it for you. You will only be able to play with most of the bells and whistles turned off, and even then it will struggle at 1024x768. I want you to play it though, because I keep telling you how cool it is smile
VynlSol

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2005, 07:58:34 PM »

My pc specs:

2.8GHz P4
1GB RAM
128MB ATI 9800

I run F.E.A.R. at 800x600, with all other video options maxed, and it spins like a top. If I up the resolution even to 1024x768 my pc chokes.

I'm about a third of the way into the game. The AI is AWESOME, I find the levels to be run-of-the-mill (but this in no way means I think they are bad, just not exceptional) and the creepiness factor goes through the roof with headphones and no lights on.

Bottom line here is that I am having a lot of fun playing this game and have already forgotten how much it cost to purchase...
Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2005, 09:20:37 PM »

I have an Athlon 2400, 768 RAM, and ti4200 and I loved the sp demo. Ran smoothly and looked very good. I guess I don't mind not having the latest bells and whistles. It would be nice to run with all the graphical excitement turned on but it's not a game killer for me.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2005, 08:18:39 AM »

I just finished this game. Holy shit! I haven`t done this before...well in a long while anyways...
 I bought it on tuesday. I played on tuesday(5 hours), wednesday(3 hours), and thurday(tonight, 3 more...). I have the urge to boot it up again and restart it on a higher difficulty level tomarrow night too! :shock: .
 What a truely awesome game, seriously. Like the Max Payne series, it wasn`t the longest game...BUT, also like that series(for me at least) the replayability is/was rather high. Just plain fun,fun,fun!
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2005, 11:18:32 PM »

Just finished.  Absolutley loved that ending.  Sweet touch.  God, I hope they make a sequel.  What a ride.  Little horror, little stealth, little Max Payne, little sci fi, and a whole lotta blood.  

Very fun.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2005, 11:24:27 PM »

Ok Spoil me...what happens with Alma? I forgot what level it was but I was in the sewer I think and turned around and she was crawling towards me. Nearly crapped myself, don't know what it is about creepy little girls that gets me but it does. I stopped playing single player at that point. Not sure if I'll ever get the nerve to go at it again. So make with the details.

Ascendent
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2005, 11:39:48 PM »

Dude
at least start a spoiler thread with this, come on, the games been out 4 days.
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2005, 11:56:21 PM »

They can just put it in spoiler tag no one has to read it that doesn't have to. Or even pm me... not that big a deal.

Ascendent
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2005, 12:03:40 AM »

Quote from: "Ascendent"
They can just put it in spoiler tag no one has to read it that doesn't have to. Or even pm me... not that big a deal.

Ascendent

I STICK OUT MY TONGUE AT YOU NOOB!!   :  :wink:
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2005, 12:10:28 AM »

Sure sure just hate me cause I totally pwn3nd you in teh Wow's slywink

Ascendent
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2005, 01:08:59 AM »

Finished it.

Spoiler for Hiden:

The armacham technologies building went on for way too long, almost as though they artificially extended it to add game time.  Armacham was easily the most tedious mission in the game, but once you got past it things really picked up.

What ever happened to your first teammate, what's his name?  It's obvious that he's still alive in some form.  I'd have liked to see him more in a sequel, he was an interesting character from the little you got to see of him.

And of course, they killed the hot blond.

Honestly, for the inevitable sequel, they need to work on more interesting levels, get their writers working on more interesting characters and interactions with those characters, teammate AI would be nice as having FEAR or Delta fighting with you would have made tedious combat sections more interesting.

STAY THROUGH THE END OF THE CREDITS!  There's a little bit extra there that you should see.  slywink
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2005, 01:59:47 AM »

Quote from: "Turtle"
Finished it.
Spoiler for Hiden:
Honestly, for the inevitable sequel, they need to work on more interesting levels, get their writers working on more interesting characters and interactions with those characters, teammate AI would be nice as having FEAR or Delta fighting with you would have made tedious combat sections more interesting.

STAY THROUGH THE END OF THE CREDITS!  There's a little bit extra there that you should see.  slywink

Just finished it as well. I agree on all counts.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Loved that ending though. *lights flicker on the chopper* "What was that?" *notices something very unfriendly has latched on* biggrin

Wait...there was something after the extremely long and never ending credits? Great. I sat there for about 5 minutes, got bored, and quit. Now to sit though it again.

Question - did your character even have a name? You were always talked about in the mission briefings as 'F.E.A.R. Operative' and whatnot.

Still, an excellent game overall.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2005, 08:47:15 AM »

Spoiler for Hiden:

It's just a little bit at the end of the credits, but still a very juicy morsel.  Definitely worth a sit through.

No name mentioned, I think they should have given him either a generic sounding name, or some sort of generic title so that characters could talk to the player directly.

I loved the ending bit, watching the nuclear explosion happen before my eyes.

I think they were trying to go the Half-Life 2 route with the character never speaking and always in first person.  I don't think it was as good an idea since the game really needed some banter between the main character and cast.

In the next game, they should pull from Splinter Cell/Metal Gear as yet another resource, not for the stealth aspect, but with the team of experts that were on call over the radio to assist.  There was always chatter coming back and forth from people both on and offsite in those games, enough to make what would be a very lonely sneaking game into one that was alive with characters.

Basically, I'm main disapointed in Monolith, they usually have the strongest FPS characters in the market, but this time they really did poorly in that regard.

Oh and one thing I really found annoying about the level design was that you could predict a map switch whenever they had to jump down from one area into another, it's the poor man's way of keeping you from going back to a previous level.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2005, 02:24:29 PM »

Quote from: "Turtle"
Spoiler for Hiden:
Oh and one thing I really found annoying about the level design was that you could predict a map switch whenever they had to jump down from one area into another, it's the poor man's way of keeping you from going back to a previous level.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Agreed. Plus, there was many parts of levels (that didn't involve a new level load) that were the same way. Made it a pain at times to choose weapons, as most of them (short of a shotgun blast to the chest) sucked in raw power. Especially at long range.

I'd take the nail gun and blast it at one of the human cops directly in the eye and it wouldn't kill him. I swore that those sunglasses were bulletproof or something.

And what about the uber ray gun of doom? It was a fun weapon, but towards the end of the game (when you finally got lots of ammo for it), it wasn't a one shot, one kill weapon anymore unless you punched somebody in the head that wasn't aware of your presense yet.

Still loved the nail gun though, even if it broke the physics engine half the time. I took a shot of one person I pinned to the wall via his head, and one of his legs are bent back through his chest, through the solid wall into the room behind him.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2005, 02:27:50 PM »

I've about 6 hours into FEAR and so far I'm really loving the entire experience!

I'm running @ 1280x1024x32

Rig:

AMD Athlon 64 x2 4400+
2gb RAM
Nivida 7800GTX PCi-16x

I have everything cranked to maximum (except FSAA is off) and framerate is smooth except in a few instances. If I want to play smoothly all the time all I do is drop 4 graphical options (can't remember which 4, as I'm at work and can't check) to their medium settings. I refuse to play without softshadows on, as it looks much better than with the hard edged shadows.

Now, as good as FEAR is, I have to admit there were moments that I found myself yawning at the entire affair. The pacing at times can be very bad, but overall the game keeps you going and interested in what is going on. So even though there are times that I wanted to exit the game and grab a sandwich and read a copy of country living, I'd be drawn right back in because something spectacular would happen.

FEAR is definitely worth a purchase, but the buyer should know that on occassion you will be asking yourself, "ummm, is anyone going to come play with me?"  Then a girl with long dark hair comes out of no where and throws you a ball. I'd recommend not catching it and run like hell. Oh, and dont' look behind you, you should never do that, trust me.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Probably my favorite part so far has been the camo guys introduction interval Very nicely done, and really felt like something was happening, but didn't realize it was a MOTHA-F'IN NINJA. Come on, he is climbing  around in the ceiling! Never seen that before in a game like this, very, very awesome.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2005, 11:13:26 PM »

Just beat FEAR today!  biggrin

Spoiler for Hiden:
Wow, did not expect a nuclear explosion! Also, the grown up Alma coming at you is freaking scary! I don't think she was trying to hurt you since she is your mother. I just think she does not trust anyone else and is very protective of her children.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2005, 01:10:49 AM »

Quote from: "Sparhawk"
Spoiler for Hiden:
Wow, did not expect a nuclear explosion! Also, the grown up Alma coming at you is freaking scary! I don't think she was trying to hurt you since she is your mother. I just think she does not trust anyone else and is very protective of her children.

Spoiler for Hiden:
However, if you give her a chance during one of the dream sequences, she will so kill you. Had that happen to me during one of the final 'giving birth' sequences. Didn't turn around fast enough and didn't have the time to pump enough ammo into her approaching self.

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2005, 04:45:51 AM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
Oh shut up all of you.
biggrin

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2005, 05:57:24 AM »

I`m half way through a second time, and still loving it. It`s not perfect, but damn close, and damn fun.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 25, 2005, 02:20:33 PM »

I just got a copy last night.  I wanted a DS game but they were out of Castlevania so I went with FEAR instead.  And wow am I glad I did!

I only played the first level and so far this game is flat out gorgeous!  And creepy.  I love that you didn't have to shoot anything in the first level.  That just made the tension more palpable.  Toward the end on the rooftop I turned to look at a radiator for a moment and when I looked back... well I won't spoil it but it scared the crap outta me.

I finished the level, hugged my teddy bear and went to bed.  I can maybe handle one level a night.
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 25, 2005, 03:10:56 PM »

Just a note, i hope all you nvidia users are using the latest 81.85 drivers.  Especially if your on a current gen card like a 7800.

Makes all the difference.  They really improved it so it runs much better with soft shadows on etc in that latest driver revision.

------------

The game is still amazing to me.  I havn't gone through the whole thing yet but i tend to play it for about an hr and a half at time.  When i first start out i'm fine, then after about 10 minutes i sink back into the total immersion of this game and it completely freaks me out continuously.  Never played a game before that was so well put together that it kept you immersed at every point of the game and never broke the mood. It's like one continous session of jumpiness of chills running down my back.

I dunno how exactly it pulled this off except to say this game truely immerses me like no other ever has so that i really feel in the game when playing in the dark with the surround sound turned up.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 25, 2005, 06:41:27 PM »

Quote from: "Fuzzballx"
Just a note, i hope all you nvidia users are using the latest 81.85 drivers.  Especially if your on a current gen card like a 7800.

Makes all the difference.  They really improved it so it runs much better with soft shadows on etc in that latest driver revision.\

That's great, except that whenever I enable the dualview feature in the 81.85 Nvidia drivers my system locks up and I get a memory dump. When windows reboots? Memory dump.

I'm not going to stop using my dual-monitor setup because their newest drivers suck.

The 81.26's caused this problem too. With the 78.01's it works fine.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 29, 2005, 11:39:58 PM »

Just finished it and here be massive spoilers for my thoughts on the end-game:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Alright, beat it today. Talk about a ridiculously stupid story line. It adds up to what? Alma wants out? Okay then, that I can accept. But what was the point of the first three intervals at the water plant then? All a ruse to flush Harlan Wade out because he would release Alma? Then what about the chick he traded voice messages with who was the one that sent Fat Boy down into Armacham in the first place to destroy everything? Who then realizes that he made a mistake once Harlan shoots him? Harlan originally said, and said repeatedly throughout the game, that they should not open the vault at all. WTF? Then they pull a "GOTCHA!" ending with the helicopter. El Stupid-o, says I. I'll play it again and again for the action scenes, but fuck all if I'll do it for the story.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: