http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 10:15:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who else got a copy of F.E.A.R a day early?  (Read 6181 times)
Ascendent
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« on: October 17, 2005, 04:03:08 PM »

I decided to stop by circuit city today, was going to pick up Mallrats and check the pc games. So I pick up Mallrats and go to the pc section and lo and behold a copy of fear (actually two) I think it's just the preorder copy deal so I pick it up and shake it. Sure enough there's some weight to it and a manual and some cd's. Elated I go to check out, well checking out took a bit of time as the game wasn't on their system. So if you live in Northern VA and can get to Loisdale Center Circuit City there should be one copy left, if your interested.

Ascendent

p.s. 5 cd's 1 manual and one slip of paper reminding you to get the latest patch from fileplanet, download.com, and vugames.com. I'll be selling this copy or looking for trades as my preordered dvd version will be coming later this week.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2005, 04:36:23 PM »

Just got off the phone with the Fry's in Plano, TX, and they have them in stock but won't have them on shelves until tomorrow morning when they open. For the price point of $36.99, I think I can wait a day.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2005, 06:13:06 PM »

I have had it since yesterday. Early impressions to come later today as I only got a little bit of playtime in due to having to spend several hours tweaking my system to get it to play well.

Just FYI so people dont freak out-my new monitor=1650x1080. My rig=pretty powerful. FEAR at 1650x1080 on my rig=death. So yeah, I am still working on deciding what the best solution is. Like I said, impressions to come tonight.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2005, 07:27:28 PM »

If you don't mind getting some MP in so you can report on that also.... It would be appreciated.

LD  :wink:

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2005, 07:54:36 PM »

Runs (and looks) like ass on my system, regularly causes video crashes/lockups (maybe it doesn't like OmegaDrivers' 5.9-based release?).

So far the intro was sort of scary, though everyone was blurry since I get to run it at 800x600 or else smoke starts to come out the corners of my rig, now I'm in the second or third level and it's warehouse-and-crate hell, very little scary stuff at all, just room after concrete room of crates of all shapes and sizes and bad guys walking amongst them.  It's just vapid level design, and it better improve soon or this one's getting thrust into the return dance.

F.E.A.R.'s engine doesn't do anything better than Source, but it looks and runs like shit compared to it.  That's pissing me off.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2005, 08:23:16 PM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
Just got off the phone with the Fry's in Plano, TX, and they have them in stock but won't have them on shelves until tomorrow morning when they open. For the price point of $36.99, I think I can wait a day.

I think I know where I'll be tomorrow morning... biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
siege

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2005, 09:02:41 PM »

I stopped playing after the 5th or 6th level. Got bored fighting in the same environment with the same super soldier enemy. The AI is an improvement in the genre as they tend to flank and flush you out, but the bullet time makes any would be difficult encounter a breeze to get through. The engine is pretty, although it requires a monster machine to run with most of the effects enabled.

There is truely nothing original in the game whatsoever. Bullet time, cloned soldiers, scary girl with hair covering her face, and a rookie cop/soldier with super reflexes that saves the day. The firefights are entertaining at first, but unless you have a fetish for B movie plots and tedious gameplay - the game will wear thin quickly.

I really expected a lot more out of the game with all the praise it's been getting, but all I recieved was the realization that generally all that is needed to please the masses are pretty visuals.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2005, 09:12:25 PM »

Good call, siege.  I was afraid the game wouldn't get any better, and you've basically confirmed it.

Boring weapons, boring enemies, boring environments, and an fugly, poorly-scaled, inefficient engine.  Talk about disappointing.

Oh well, I guess I can always replay Half-Life 2.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2005, 09:14:46 PM »

Wow Siege, you sound pretty jaded. I guess if the masses like something it is immediately bad.  Guess I'll stick to slow computers and drive to work in a wagon pulled by horses. Shit, fuck it all, I'll just live in a hole. That'll show'em!

Stupid masses and their fucking technology!

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2005, 09:39:41 PM »

I find it hard to believe the end product would run THAT much worse than both demos and they run like butter on very mid spec pc.  If the final version does not run any better than the demos at all, I will be gloriously happy with it.  And if the final game only provides me more of what the demos did, then again  I will be thrilled.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
siege

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2005, 09:46:22 PM »

Quote from: "Sparhawk"
Wow Siege, you sound pretty jaded. I guess if the masses like something it is immediately bad.  Guess I'll stick to slow computers and drive to work in a wagon pulled by horses. Shit, fuck it all, I'll just live in a hole. That'll show'em!

I don't deny being somewhat jaded with video games today. I just feel that a lot of games today rely on their updated visuals to provide a new experience, instead of taking a chance with new gameplay mechanics. That works for a lot of people, but when I fire up a new game and feel as if I've already played through it a thousand times, no amount of fantastic graphics is going to make me have fun.
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2005, 10:01:04 PM »

Quote from: "siege"

I don't deny being somewhat jaded with video games today. I just feel that a lot of games today rely on their updated visuals to provide a new experience, instead of taking a chance with new gameplay mechanics. That works for a lot of people, but when I fire up a new game and feel as if I've already played through it a thousand times, no amount of fantastic graphics is going to make me have fun.

Okay, that I can understand. I've encountered the same feeling numerous times, but I don't blame graphics as much as I blame lazy developers. I will probably enjoy my romp through FEAR, because I just love that style of gameplay.

About the environments through, I do tend to get bored with movies when they don't change environments (almost a guarantee that I won't like the movie), but with games/television series, I'm a little different. Again, I may get bored with FEAR, but I doubt it.

The most boring movie I've ever seen is:

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2005, 10:10:43 PM »

The most boring movie I've ever seen is:

So what is it?  You can't direct-link to IMDB apparently and the file gives no clue.  I am curious!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2005, 01:03:16 AM »

I saw many copies of F.E.A.R. at Target today.  They also had spots ready for AoE III and the AoE III Collector's Edition

Xbox Live: AgtFox
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2005, 12:29:30 PM »

Quote from: "siege"

I think that is true but I have to say that if you read any reviews, previews and tried the demo you would know that FEAR wasn't trying to push anything new.  

So knocking FEAR for being exactly what they claimed is a bit unfair.  It isn't like Black and White (for example) which promised something new and failed to deliver.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2005, 04:23:33 PM »

At least it wasn't like Daikatana, where it was hyped as the second coming, but it was really just a poor Quake 2 clone.

I recall a dev basically admitting it was unoriginal in an interview (in so many words), but went on to say that the combined elements do make a fun game.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2005, 04:52:01 PM »

I still only have brief impressions, and I am really pressed for time, so my short initial impressions in a nutshell:

- I really really like the story so far. Yeah, its an amalgamation of B horror movie stuff, but the presentation is excellent, voice acting is top notch, and so far I am finding the story totally engrossing if not particuarly original.

- The combat is absolutely top notch. My favorite FPS combat has got to be HL2 (Max Payne 2 for 3rd person), but FEAR tops both of those games. The enemy AI can be very nasty, flushing you out, flanking you, ducking for cover, etc. They are relentless, and there are some battles that are almost impossible to complete unscathed even early on.

- Melee combat is very cool. I finished the first 2-3 combat sections of the game with careful melee moves. I like it very much, its a whole other very cool gameplay element that really is top notch.

- The levels so far early on have been interesting and above average, but certainly nothing inspired-still, I haven't once been wandering around and said "geez, they are recycling levels, this is so boring, bob lablaw". They may not be artistic endeavors early on, but they are exactly what I expect out of apartment buildings and factories, etc.

Anyways, I have to go, hopefully many more impressions later.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2005, 06:11:06 PM »

Calvin, you might want to start practicing your multiplayer skills on this one, yo, because it's now in my hands. I sadly won't get to touch it until Friday at the earliest, so you have until then to warm up for the pwning begins.

/warned

:twisted:

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2005, 06:39:29 PM »

There's good news, I just saw on the official forums that they will release an SDK for the game.

So who knows, maybe we'll see that Goldeneye style one shot kill mod I've been wanting or a Perfect Dark-like counter op.  One player (or players) as the hero/deltas, the rest of the server as respawning mooks.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2005, 07:21:30 PM »

Quote from: "Turtle"
At least it wasn't like Daikatana, where it was hyped as the second coming, but it was really just a poor Quake 2 clone.
And this, folks, is what we call damning with faint praise.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2005, 08:12:40 PM »

I only tried the demo but I have to say, the performance was just complete ass.

I have a 4000+/1gig/X850 XTPE

I couldnt even run the game at 1600x1200, playably, which is native for my LCD.  No thanks.

olaf
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2005, 09:25:38 PM »

Quote from: "olaf"
I only tried the demo but I have to say, the performance was just complete ass.

I couldnt even run the game at 1600x1200, playably, which is native for my LCD.  No thanks.

olaf
Are you fuckking joking?  That system should be able to launch a rocket to the moon.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2005, 09:56:43 PM »

Quote from: "olaf"

Not to derail this thread, but I'm curious how the X850 XT PE is working out for you.  I have an Athlon 64 3400+ with 2gigs of RAM and am looking to upgrade my graphics card.  The one you have seems to be top of the heap when it comes to AGP parts (damn me, early adapter!) and since I am no mood to upgrade my motherboard I have given this a close look.  Discounting F.E.A.R., how do you find the cards performance?  Like I said, it looks to be one of the top AGP performers so anything you have to say about it would be appreciated!

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2005, 03:52:23 AM »

Olaf, I can run the game just fine on a 2000+ and ATI 9800.  Obviously you've got some settings wrong or out of date drivers somewhere.

Of key note is to turn off the soft shadows, that setting is a real fps killer.
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2005, 03:54:42 AM »

Actually, I just got the card for similar reasons.  I am on an AGP bus and this was the 'best' I could get w/o having to rebuild and get a new mobo, something I didnt want to do right now.  I had an X800 Pro in my machine but my wife's 9800 Pro was on its last legs and she needed a new card.  So, I got this and gave her the X800 Pro (nice guy, I know...lol).

So far I like it.  Its a dual slot card but it isnt loud at all, the fan spins up to max when you turn your machine on but after that, it drops down to idle/quiet.  I just installed it like a week ago so I cant say I have played many games with it...just World of Warcraft and this FEAR demo, in fact.

This one I got from Newegg, Visiontek, $360.

olaf
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2005, 04:21:03 AM »

Olaf, I can run the game just fine on a 2000+ and ATI 9800.  Obviously you've got some settings wrong or out of date drivers somewhere.

I have a Athlon 64 3000+ @ 2.0 ghz, 1gig of good ram, and a GeForce6600GT and I can barely run the game at 1200x850 (need that res so I can get true widescreen with my monitor).

I have texture size at medium, soft shadows off, bunch of other settings down, and the in game test gives me an average FPS of 29-its about 25ish at most in big fights. It's playable but frustrating.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2005, 06:24:33 AM »

It's running in the 35-50 FPS range on my A64 3200, 1GB, 6800 GT system with most stuff on high but FSAA off, soft shadows off.  However, just like the demo, it refuses to recognize that my monitor can support 1280 so it's 1024x768.  That said, it's graphically superior to any other FPS, IMHO.

I'm liking the game but it is having the Doom 3 effect of creating tension so well that I can only play for an hour or so at a time, then need a break.  The tension isn't from being suprised, as most of the time I see enemies before they see me, it's from the music, sightings of the girl, weird flashbacks, etc.  You keep expecting something around the next corner and after a while you can't stand it anymore.

The story is interesting but it will be a let down if some of the plot twists I suspect turn out to be the case.  If I'm suprised I will be very happy.

A.I. is pretty good.  I'm playing on the normal difficulty and I saw better AI at higher difficulties on the demo so I assume that's the case here.  Even on normal, though, it's pretty intelligent.  On more than one occasion I've gotten into firefights in open areas, had to retreat back into areas where I could better defend myself, and seen the AI come at me from two directions.  They also use grenades pretty successfully.  It's also somewhat disconcerting, but cool, to see an enemy drop from multiple hits, then stagger to his feet so that you have to finish him off.

I picked up the director's cut DVD version and that seems pretty cool.  However, the comic book is just a rehash of the intro movie in the demo, which was pretty weak.  There is a live action "prequel" involving the girl that's cool and a Rooster Tail (Red vs Blue guys) thing, but both of those are available to download on the game's website.  There is also a "making of" piece as well as a "director's commentary" piece that looks very cool but I'm holding off on since it undoubtedly has spoilers.

At this point the game deserves the 9/10 type of score that seems to be the average score among reviewers.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2005, 08:22:10 AM »

I disagree.  Our problem is that 'just fine' is subjective and our relative definitions of it are way off.

olaf
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2005, 06:19:13 PM »

Another thing to change/check is AF filtering. When the config program checked my system, it had it set to 4x. But that was at 1024x768 resolution. When I force modified my resolution ((1680x1050) as the lazy ass devs don't support widescreen resolutions natively), the frame rate was anything but perfect for a FPS. And I have a beefy system (3ghz AMD, 2gig RAM, X850PE).

To get widescreen support, go visit this link:
http://forums.legitreviews.com/about2766.html&highlight=
The file in question isn't in exactly the same place in the final game (not at home to look for it myself), but the file itself is the same name (so just hunt around for it). A simple change in the code gives you full widescreen support.

Why this isn't supported natively inside the game is simply due to some lazy developers.

And I love the tension in the game so far. The music, the 'ghosts' (or whatever the heck I've been seeing), the AI (has a really good knack for flanking you without your knowledge), and everything else wrap up for an amazing FPS so far.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2005, 06:51:12 PM »

I love that there is a system performance demo with it. I played with a few settings and wound up with decent results, but the second I turned off shadows the demo flew. The game looks great and flows great on my system, which is not the highest end rig (2GHz Athlon, 1GB 3200DDR RAM, 256MB ATI Radeon 9800 Pro) and without shadows it runs smooth as silk.

Now if I can just figure out how to slide kick...

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2005, 06:57:14 PM »

There's two 'special melee moves' you can do. And for me, the game told me both at the start of the second level.

Flying jump kick: Jump and hit the melee button right afterwards. You'll see your feet fly out (ever notice how you can look down and see your feet at any time?) and clobber whoever is in your way.

Slide kick: Move forward, hit duck, and hit the melee button. You'll slide forward and trip anybody in your way.

I haven't used the melee moves too often (as it's far easier and much more fun to shotgun somebody in the chest), but they work.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2005, 07:30:47 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"

There's two 'special melee moves' you can do. And for me, the game told me both at the start of the second level.

Flying jump kick: Jump and hit the melee button right afterwards. You'll see your feet fly out (ever notice how you can look down and see your feet at any time?) and clobber whoever is in your way.

Slide kick: Move forward, hit duck, and hit the melee button. You'll slide forward and trip anybody in your way.

I haven't used the melee moves too often (as it's far easier and much more fun to shotgun somebody in the chest), but they work.

I believe the side kick is move forward-jump-hit crouch and melee to slide kick. I think. Maybe I am just doing it wrong and that works for me smile There is also a special kind of uppercut isn't there? Melee moves rock though, really enough said!! smile
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2005, 07:57:43 PM »

Those were the same moves from the demo, and I had a hard enough time getting them right then. So that explains why I'm having trouble with it now. Thanks. smile

Mystic95Z

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2005, 10:39:44 PM »

Installing the game now. Just got home with it, Walmart had it for 39.7x. Mebbe we can all get together and play some MP sometime. I'll be out -o- town from tomorrow through late Sat. Just send me a PM if you want to play sometime after that.

-Tony
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2005, 12:54:27 AM »

I gotta say that the first time one of those invisible camo dudes jumped out after me I about shit myself.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2005, 01:19:09 AM »

Quote from: "Mystic95Z"
Walmart had it for 39.7x.

Hmmm...wonder if my Wal-Mart has it for that price...

TheMissingLink on PSN
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2005, 03:06:48 AM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"

In Moscow, Iowa?  I doubt it.  Still trying to clear those old Amiga games off the shelf!

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2005, 04:04:10 AM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
Quote from: "TheMissingLink"

In Moscow, Iowa?  I doubt it.  Still trying to clear those old Amiga games off the shelf!

Correction, Moscow, Idaho biggrin  

Annnnnnd yeah doubt it.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2005, 07:25:23 AM »

Wow, I`ve played this ALOT in the last two night. I NEVER sit down and play a game for 5 hours at a time...but I managed to do just that, and then 3 more tonight...I`ve still got a little ways to go, and I`ll fire this right up after I beat it on a hard difficulty level. I NEVER do that! :shock:

The MP demo ran fine, but the first and only time I tried the retail mp It gave me an error right in the browser :x , but I haven`t tried it again and the SP game runs GREAT! I`d assume that new drivers or a patch will kill that bug.
 I`m running it on a 3.0ghz, 1gb ddr, 6800gt, and it runs really well, better than I had guessed it would. This ones a keeper!
depward

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2005, 07:57:25 AM »

I dunno, I would REALLY consider getting F.E.A.R. if my computer was up to snuff.  I just don't think I would enjoy it with a low framerate and graphical options turned down really low.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: