http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 01:13:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who all is excited about the big PS3 unveiling?!  (Read 5536 times)
AgtFox
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2005, 10:03:39 PM »

I believe you are right Kevin...their fiscal year does not end in December.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2005, 10:07:01 PM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
I believe you are right Kevin...their fiscal year does not end in December.

Yup, a quick google revealed that their fiscal year does in March.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2005, 11:43:45 PM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
But with this gen, Sony had the less powerful system, and has pushed something like four times as many units as the Xbox. (Is that right?) I get the feeling that simple power is not going to define the upcoming generation - it's going to really be about the games and any unique features that any given system has.

Isnt' that a bit unfair.  I mean PS2 was out what, 2 years before xbox came out?   PS2 probably had a better launch since it already had a user base with the PS1 so it was easy for sony to rake in the money.  Xbox has done a great job on building up their console, and lately they actually started to make a profit off it.
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2005, 01:35:53 AM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
sony really only has one way to go. they were at the very top this go around so i think they will come down "a little". i still think they will win the war this generation since they have such a huge fan base that is filled with fanboys and ignorant people that don't realize what the other two have to offer. they will just buy because they know sony and the playstation.

WTF?  There is no place for this kind of crap here.

In all honesty, it is true to a point, and I own all three systems, a PSP and a GBA. People just think playstation is the best because they hear it the most. A lot of it really is ignorance. Go listen to people at a gaming store, you will pick it up. Xbox has gained popularoity and is cool now too, at least to a point, but the cube has seen nothing. Most people really dont realize what the cube and xbox have to offer. Except Halo.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2005, 01:42:50 AM »

In all honesty, I own all three systems, a DS, and a PSP- and PS2 is my favorite.   I have very specific reasons why I like each console and I know everyone else does too.  However, when other people's opinions differ with mine I don't chalk it up to ignorance.

Just to add a few things on what each console offers and getting that message out- this is no David and Goliath and really not any underdogs either.  You've got a market leader, a former market leader, and the most successful company in the world all with incredible financial resources to make sure the public knows exactly what they offer.  Sony has no unique advantages over the other two.  The Playstation may currently be synominous with "video game" but then again so was Nintendo once upon a time and it may be Xbox in the future.  

On the software side of the house there will always be smaller titles that unjustly go unnoticed due to lack of advertising, etc (Psychonauts being perhaps the most recent example).  This is not the case on the hardware side though.  Each console manufacturer has only themself to blame for their success or failure.
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2005, 03:59:25 AM »

In all honesty, I own all three systems, a DS, and a PSP- and PS2 is my favorite.   I have very specific reasons why I like each console and I know everyone else does too.  However, when other people's opinions differ with mine I don't chalk it up to ignorance.

Just to add a few things on what each console offers and getting that message out- this is no David and Goliath and really not any underdogs either.  You've got a market leader, a former market leader, and the most successful company in the world all with incredible financial resources to make sure the public knows exactly what they offer.  Sony has no unique advantages over the other two.  The Playstation may currently be synominous with "video game" but then again so was Nintendo once upon a time and it may be Xbox in the future.  

On the software side of the house there will always be smaller titles that unjustly go unnoticed due to lack of advertising, etc (Psychonauts being perhaps the most recent example).  This is not the case on the hardware side though.  Each console manufacturer has only themself to blame for their success or failure.

I never said which console I liked more did I? I like my PS2 and I certainly didnt purchase it out of ignorance. I never said everyone does. Its just as someone else said, the PS2 is more of a household name, and this helps sell it. many people dont even look into the systems and decide which one they want. They dont make actual informed decisions, they simply purchase things. Its the society we live in more then anything else. They know the Xbox as the system with Halo, and the cube as the "kiddy" system, and the ps2 as the video game system. Does that mean you purchased it out of ignorance? No. Does it mean everyone who has one would have bought a different system had they looked into it? Of course not. Dont get your panties in a bunch here, nobody is starting a flame war about consoles (because really who cares), its just that sometimes the name playstation sells the system more then the actual merits of the system. While the merits are most definatly good for many people, it doesnt fit everyone. If you buy something simply for the name it holds, as would be the case many times for playstation (and many other products people purchase) I think it would be safe to say you made an ignorant purchase. Now you may have accidentally bought the best product for you, but you might not have made an informed decision. Dont take it personally when the society we live in buys things more for the name it carries then for the product itself. It happens in all areas not just video games, and everyone is guilty of it to some degree.

Please note as a disclaimer, not once in that post did I inuslt the ps2, xbox or gcn. They are all good little systems in this world and I hope I didnt personally insult someone  by implying that one particular system may not be a fit for some consumers. Also note that I never made note of which system is my favorite, and most of all never tried to force my belief in which system is best for me upon another. I really hope this can move on without being a flame war and people can simply acknowledge that yes, sometimes we as consumers do not make the most informed decision when purchasing an item. End of disclaimer.

Edit: And just as a nitpick (and in all seriousness not aimed as a personal attack):

most successful company
^-- Micorsoft is not this. That honor would go to walmart.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2005, 04:20:46 AM »

No flame war here. He painted the playstation fan base as filled with fanboys and ignorant people which is pretty inflammatory in my opinion.  Do people make "mistakes" in what they purchase?  Sure happens all the time, to several posters on this very board in fact who have later regretted by one or more consoles.  Playstation will certainly get sales for being the market leader but the flip side of that is that they've earned that.  When Sony hit the market in 1995, Nintendo and Sega were the titans and PS was the upstart.  And Sony succeeded in large part by appealing to a demographic that wasn't really being met before.  I'm sure there was many a purchaser of N64 and Saturn who purchased those systems on the strength of the SNES and Genesis who later regretted it though.  

But the great thing about this market is that it corrects itself.  If consumers are generally unhappy with their purchase they won't continue to support that platform and will certainly be skeptical of any follow-ons and sales will suffer.  Just look at the performance of the Xbox and Cube in the last year or so after both started roughly at parity at the beginning of the generation.

And none of this has anything to do with the actual quality of the system and games in most cases but is more accurately a reflection of the desires of the market.  I truly think all three current consoles are exceptional and offers something unique to each customer.  In terms of quality of first party titles especially, Nintendo continues to impress me very much.  Unfortunately current market reality is that consumers don't seem interested in what Nintendo has to offer.  I don't think its ignorance on the consumers part at all but a realignment in taste.  The Xbox has largely succeeded, IMO, by tapping a market for more Western-style content that was previously lacking on offerings from console makers.  And if that market continues to skyrocket and the popularity of Eastern franchises diminishes, then I would expect Xbox to take dominance.  And none of these market shifts have anything to do with consumer ignorance.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2005, 04:21:42 AM »

Edit: And just as a nitpick (and in all seriousness not aimed as a personal attack):

Quote:
most successful company  

Yeah, I wasn't 100% sure on that one and should have put "one of."
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2005, 04:39:39 AM »

Quote:
most successful company  

Yeah, I wasn't 100% sure on that one and should have put "one of."

biggrin Your point was still well made  smile .
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: