http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 12:35:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who all is excited about the big PS3 unveiling?!  (Read 5611 times)
wonderpug
Gaming Trend Senior Member

hmm...

View Profile
« on: May 12, 2005, 08:54:07 PM »

Meanwhile, the XBox360 has people devouring and discussing the most mundane of "leaked" photos: People discussing the power button, people discussing a picture of a headphone jack on the controller for crying out loud.  As much as I hate Microsoft, it's hard not to get caught up in the buzz.  

Any predictions on how Sony will do at E3?  Do they have any big tricks up their sleeves that'll be able to pull eyes away from the insane Microsoft publicity machine?
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2005, 09:41:05 PM »

I have no idea what Sony is doing.  No clue if they will show a prototype of the PS3 (for lack of a current term for the system) or show off video/gameplay from games in development for the new system.  You'll find out at 3pm PT on Monday when Sony's pre-E3 conference happens.  They usually do their conference on Tuesday, but they tried to get cute and beat MS to the punch, then MS unloaded the MTV special on them.

I think Sony has to show something to stop the 800 lb. gorilla that has suddenly shown up from crushing them.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2005, 09:55:34 PM »

Yeah, I think Sony is in real trouble this generation.

Microsoft seems to be pulling out all the stops so far.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2005, 10:13:17 PM »

Microsoft spent billions upon billions of dollars getting the Xbox to where it is now, and now it looks like that money is starting to pay off - people are really interested in the Xbox 360.

Will it turn out to be a success though? Or will Sony (or heaven forbid, Nintendo) pull something out of nowhere and trump Microsoft?

Only time will tell. And that time is very quickly coming our way.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2005, 10:13:29 PM »

Let's see.  Microsoft has to get people interested now to build up to their launch in the fall.  If Sony is smart, they're sitting back taking notes on everything that works and everything that doesn't.  Sony just needs to officially announce the PS3 and a couple of big game titles to go with it.

Sony needs to make a big splash in the month before the 360 launches.  That's when they need to pull the eyes away from MS.   They did it pretty masterfully against Sega, but they have a tougher nut to crack this time.  I'm sure the amount of big announcements from Sony will probably be deafening around that time.  Their big goal is to create doubt.  They want people thinking, "Should I get a 360 or wait for the PS3."  If you can establish doubt, a lot of people will wait.  They don't have to stop people from buying the 360, they just can afford an insurmountable lead.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Temjin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2005, 10:13:47 PM »

Sony and Nintendo really haven't shown anything yet, so it's a bit ridiculous to count them out already.  If Sony manages to make a system more powerful than the Xbox 360, I think Microsoft is the one that needs to worry.

Now Playing
Wii:  Zelda: TP
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2005, 10:20:56 PM »

Here's the thing, Xbox360 is coming out this NOVEMBER, and the PS3 and Revolution won't be out until at the earliest Summer 2006 in Japan, so  why should we be that amped up for either of them?

Microsoft will definately have a good headstart, but as we all know being the first out of the gate isn't allways the best idea.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2005, 10:23:59 PM »

Its starting to feel like the console forums on Gone Gold circa fall 2001.  I can already feel everyone's blood pressure rising.  It'd be great if we could avoid the "system wars" hatefests that have been notably absent of late but I imagine that's hopeless frown
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2005, 10:25:24 PM »

But with this gen, Sony had the less powerful system, and has pushed something like four times as many units as the Xbox. (Is that right?) I get the feeling that simple power is not going to define the upcoming generation - it's going to really be about the games and any unique features that any given system has.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2005, 10:35:39 PM »

Sound points by both Tebunker and Disarm. No sense in saying anything until E3. Sony is, at the very least, going to show off their system specs. They have to. Microsoft we'll see tonight, basically, and if Sony or even Nintendo comes out guns blazing with the more powerful system, then Microsoft is going to have to spend even more money just to compete. The good thing for Microsoft is they have money to burn. The fun thing for us is to see just how much of it they're willing to torch. biggrin

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2005, 10:51:18 PM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
Sound points by both Tebunker and Disarm.

awesome...don't even have to make a post and people start dropping my name.  i guess i'm starting to gain some popularity around here :wink:

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2005, 11:16:47 PM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
But with this gen, Sony had the less powerful system

But didn't the XBox come out well after the PS2? If I'm correct on that, then it should have been more powerful. This time the PS2 will be later and the burden will be on Sony to convince people their machine is better.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2005, 11:56:28 PM »

PS wha?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2005, 11:59:02 PM »

I am excited about the Xbox 360.  This should be a scary wakeup call to Sony and Nintendo, because I'm not even an Xbox fan.  My console fanboi ranking goes: Sega > Nintendo > Sony > Microsoft, I owned a Gamecube and PS2 first, and resisted getting an Xbox 1 until last summer.

If I buy an Xbox 360 this Fall, will Sony and Nintendo be able to convince me I want them as a second console?  If Nintendo is cheaper again this round, maybe they might reel me in with yet another Zelda (I'm a sucker), but who knows.  

Sony is losing ground with its star titles: the Metal Gear Solid franchise isn't the big draw it used to be, Gran Turismo 5 and Forza 2 will probably be equals...  I think Sony's saving grace is going to be RPGs.  Morrowind and Bioware are great and all, but Japanese RPGs are a niche in themselves that I don't think Microsoft will have a chance at breaking into. RPGs and kooky Katamari Damacy type titles are probably enough to make me want a PS3, but we'll see.

I'll probably eventually buy all 3 systems like I did this past generation, just a matter of which systems I can wait for a price drop on, so here's hoping (praying) for a good old fashioned price war between the systems!
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2005, 12:11:09 AM »

I'm in for an Xbox, but am not likely to buy either of the other two.

I had two systems this generation and one of them sat.. un-used and neglected. It was a waste of money.

Considering I've been passing on the PS2's considerable library of games for a long while now, I don't think I'll have a problem not buying the PS3.

I never bothered with a Gamecube because the game selection doesn't interest me. The only gamecube exclusive game I've been interested in during the past year is RE4, and I got to play that all the way through by just borrowing a friend's cube.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2005, 12:29:05 AM »

Quote from: "wonderpug"
Sony is losing ground with its star titles: the Metal Gear Solid franchise isn't the big draw it used to be, Gran Turismo 5 and Forza 2 will probably be equals... I think Sony's savinc grace is going to be RPGs. Morrowind and Bioware are great and all, but Japanese RPGs are a niche in themselves that I don't think Microsoft will have a chance at breaking into. RPGs and kooky Katamari Damacy type titles are probably enough to make me want a PS3, but we'll see.

Not really.

Metal Gear Solid you're right about- it really took a hit after MGS 2 disappointed so many but MGS 3 will still clear well over a million in the US and its actually the most successful MGS title ever in Japan.  Not the mega-blockbuster it once was but still gets great sales.

However, Gran Turismo is a sales monster and that hasn't changed with GT4.  GT is the number three franchise this generation behind only GTA and Halo and GT4 is currently on track to top GT3 in sales.  Forza will hopefully be a good franchise for Microsoft but Gran Turismo has lost none of its power in the marketplace.

Another major franchise, Final Fantasy, is still as potent as ever.  FFX is second only to FF7 in US sales for the series, besting both FF8 and FF9.  FFX-2 still managed to do well over a million units in sales too despite a rather wacky premise and lackluster reception.

And now there is a new Square property even more popular than Final Fantasy- Kingdom Hearts.  You wouldn't know it by its general perception on most messageboards but KH is also a sales monster, outselling FFX to become the number two selling Square title of all time in the US.  

Sony has also had great success in creating another new franchise with SOCOM.  Both titles have sold over a million copies with the original closing in on 2 million.  

It remains to be seen whether the franchises will transfer to next generation, but Sony has also been quite successful with both platforming series Jak and Daxter and Ratchet and Clank.  All three installments in both series either have or on track to sell over a million.  

And none of this even mentions GTA because I'm not sure what the future holds for that series- its quite possible it will go for multi-platform simultaneous release next gen and even an outside chance it could go Xbox exclusive.  If it stays at Sony though, then they'll still have the top franchise of this generation.

Plus, the PS2 has been outselling the Xbox approx 2:1 for the first three months of this year (April numbers should come out today or tomorrow).  

MS is making some great moves but to dismiss Sony so easily would be ignoring the current market.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2005, 01:02:36 AM »

It's MS's time.

In 6 days, 6 weeks, 6 months, whenever, we'll all be geeked up for the next Sony/Nintendo system.

It's like a birthday or vacation. You get all worked up for it to come, then it's finally here and it's great...then it's over and you go back to work knowing you aren't getting another one for a while.

Or

It's like when Lockdown gets all geared up for a re-mastered release of an old Osmond Brothers album and then he gets home with his new CD only to find that it's the same crappy music.

Who knows how this round will turn out?

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2005, 01:49:25 AM »

I doubt we'll hear much about about either the PS3 or Revolution at E3.  Both Sony and Nintendo will be concentrating on their handhelds.  I wouldn't be surprised at a big PS3 unveiling in November, just ahead of the XBox 360 launch, though.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2005, 02:06:56 AM »

Well, I attempt to be as non-console biased as I can since I own all 3 systems.  Sony was going to unveil the PS3 in March, but the time came and went.  So, what was wrong that they didn't unveil it?  Chances are they will show something off at E3...whether it be gameplay videos or whatever.

E3 is where the companies want to show something off.  They've kind of put themselves in the corner (I'm talking about the whole industry here) with making E3 the point where everyone announces everything.  Yes, there are smaller shows out there, but if you want to make a powerful statement, you do it at E3.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2005, 02:22:17 AM »

E3 is where the companies want to show something off. They've kind of put themselves in the corner (I'm talking about the whole industry here) with making E3 the point where everyone announces everything. Yes, there are smaller shows out there, but if you want to make a powerful statement, you do it at E3.

Yeah, but I think Sony will be much less focused on PS3 at E3 than what you'll see from MS.  They've got the PS2 still going strong plus the PSP.  It will be announced and footage shown but you won't see a playable unit or games on the floor.  

MS has only the 360 to focus on.  Their only remaining major Xbox releases are Conker and Advent Rising, both out in less than two months.  Xbox 360 *is* their E3.
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2005, 02:29:04 AM »

Well I'm a bit more interested in the ps3 after the xbox 360 mtv show.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2005, 02:41:41 AM »

I was going to say the same thing, talk about anticlimactic!  Sony's early E3 press release idea just got a big chance to steal the spotlight.
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2005, 05:14:33 AM »

Speaking of which, when IS PS3's unveiling? When you tell me that, I'll be excited for it.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2005, 05:34:13 AM »

Quote from: "Fellow"
Speaking of which, when IS PS3's unveiling? When you tell me that, I'll be excited for it.

Some info will be revealed at their press conference on Monday afternoon.  How much, though, no one knows.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2005, 05:51:42 AM »

I'm still convinced that something is wrong at Sony that they are not willing to talk about yet.  I'm just basing that on the management shake-up that included an effective demotion for the "father" of the Playstation and the fact that right after that Sony really quieted down about PS3.  I could be way off, but I would not be suprised if they reveal minimal info at E3.

Also, while it was annoying from a consumer perspective that MS has not yet revealed details like price, packages, release dates, backwards compatibility for X360 (and rumors say may not even at E3), etc., that does throw a wrench at Sony and Nintendo since they can't counter details no one knows yet.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2005, 05:56:45 AM »

Quote from: "Sarkus"

Also, while it was annoying from a consumer perspective that MS has not yet revealed details like price, packages, release dates, backwards compatibility for X360 (and rumors say may not even at E3), etc., that does throw a wrench at Sony and Nintendo since they can't counter details no one knows yet.

They don't need to counter any of that yet.  Both Nintendo and Sony are backwards compatable- nothing to counter.  Pricing and packaging- there will certainly be no demand on Sony and Nintendo to offer up each until MS offers their info and considering that the other two won't be launching until Spring or Summer 2006 in Japan at the earliest, no one expects them to reveal those yet either.
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2005, 06:11:05 AM »

It looks like the PS3 will be released in late-2006, so expect it to be August at the earliest, but I'd guess it would Oct/Nov time frame.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2005, 06:13:30 AM »

Yeah- I was referring to the Japanese launch.  Pricing for the US may change (it did for PSP) but the specs/hardware will be locked down once it hits overseas.
markymarklar
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2005, 04:10:32 PM »

everyone seems to be forgetting nintendo.  i honestly think this race is going to be very close amongst all three.  MS will gain market share simply because it's coming out first.  nintendo will gain marketshare because i think they will bring something new to the gaming table.  

i have a feeling they will pull something that will make everyone take another look at what they have to offer.  something along the lines of interactive hardware like how they were the first to introduce the analog joystick with the N64.

sony really only has one way to go.  they were at the very top this go around so i think they will come down "a little".  i still think they will win the war this generation since they have such a huge fan base that is filled with fanboys and ignorant people that don't realize what the other two have to offer.  they will just buy because they know sony and the playstation.

that being said, MS better do something to impress at E3 becuase what they showed lastnight was sad.  they will lose before getting out of the gates if they show footage like that at E3.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2005, 05:17:27 PM »

sony really only has one way to go. they were at the very top this go around so i think they will come down "a little". i still think they will win the war this generation since they have such a huge fan base that is filled with fanboys and ignorant people that don't realize what the other two have to offer. they will just buy because they know sony and the playstation.

WTF?  There is no place for this kind of crap here.
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2005, 05:37:21 PM »

Bit daft considering that the Playstation 2 has all the Japanise RPGs and the GTA series. If you're into RPGs, the P2 is the machine to get. I brought the XBox and was disappointed.

The new XBox sounds great, but the launch line-up is pretty dull. If they had a Bioware, Lionhead, GTA  or Final Fantasy they might have convinced me.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2005, 06:36:09 PM »

Quote from: "JayG"
Bit daft considering that the Playstation 2 has all the Japanise RPGs and the GTA series. If you're into RPGs, the P2 is the machine to get. I brought the XBox and was disappointed.

The new XBox sounds great, but the launch line-up is pretty dull. If they had a Bioware, Lionhead, GTA  or Final Fantasy they might have convinced me.

The box has GTA also.  

I think MS should be slapped for letting such a sloppy show be the unveiling of the 360.  

Anyway, I will be pre-ordering one, unless of course something changes and Sega announces they are going to make a college football game using an upgraded ESPN football engine, then I will buy whatever the hell it comes out on.  (GRR EA!! )
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2005, 06:53:52 PM »

Quote from: "markymarklar"
everyone seems to be forgetting nintendo.

Forgetting? No. Ignoring? Yup. biggrin

Nintendo's moves are strange to the point of cryptic, but I'm holding judgement until they release Revolution's details.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2005, 07:56:09 PM »

Quote from: "Eco-Logic"
Quote from: "JayG"

The box has GTA also.  

I think MS should be slapped for letting such a sloppy show be the unveiling of the 360.  

Anyway, I will be pre-ordering one, unless of course something changes and Sega announces they are going to make a college football game using an upgraded ESPN football engine, then I will buy whatever the hell it comes out on.  (GRR EA!! )

Sloppy seconds. Lets face it, it's far more exciting when the game is released first on your chosen platform. It's like been with Angelina Joli pre Billy Bob. An XBox 360 version of GTA would be a system seller. All we are getting now is a 8 month old game.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2005, 08:29:36 PM »

Sloppy seconds?  

The games are more refined on the Xbox...  I can use my own music in them...

I hardly consider that sloppy.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2005, 08:58:30 PM »

everyone seems to be forgetting nintendo.  i honestly think this race is going to be very close amongst all three.  MS will gain market share simply because it's coming out first.  nintendo will gain marketshare because i think they will bring something new to the gaming table.

Good points.

i have a feeling they will pull something that will make everyone take another look at what they have to offer.  something along the lines of interactive hardware like how they were the first to introduce the analog joystick with the N64.

Interesting and I would like to see what they can do.

sony really only has one way to go.  they were at the very top this go around so i think they will come down "a little".

I agree.
i still think they will win the war this generation since they have such a huge fan base that is filled with fanboys and ignorant people that don't realize what the other two have to offer.  they will just buy because they know sony and the playstation.

Or because they love the games that are released on it.  When I can play Katamari Damacy on the XBox I'm buying one.

By the way, I'm not sure insulting those who enjoy the Playstation (myself included) by calling them "fanboys and ignorant people" is going to score you a lot of credibility around here.  Especially on your second or third post.  If you're looking for a receptive audience for insults and anti-fanboy rants you might check out this fountain of enlghtenment and truth.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2005, 09:54:17 PM »

From IGN.com

May 12, 2005 - In a surprising twist on the next generation hardware race, a Sony representative has stated that a year 2005 release for the next generation PlayStation is a possibility. Responding to questions from Jiji news service, Sony Chief Financial Officer Takao Yuhara states, "For the year end sales season, simultaneously building up both the PlayStation Portable system in America and Europe as well as the next generation PlayStation is one option that we have."

Most industry speculation calls for a next generation PlayStation release in 2006. Sony's third party developers have backed this assumption up with a strong list of PlayStation 2 titles planned for the rest of the year and early next.
The state of the next generation PlayStation software shown at next week's E3 show should reveal if a 2005 release is a possibility for the new system, or if Yuhara's comments were designed to take some steam out of Microsoft's Xbox 360 unveiling later today.

Is it getting warm in here, or is it just me?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2005, 10:02:24 PM »

All Sony has to do is go up and outprice Microsoft slightly.  I think many of you are failing to realize that Sony is still very much a greater household brand than Xbox is.

Sony has played second fiddle to Xbox in the more hardcore gaming community because of the inferior hardware (the Xbox and Gamecube are 1/2 a generation ahead).    Even so, you have to admit that Sony has more recognizable properties than Microsoft does.  Playstation has replaced Nintendo as a generic name for video game consoles for the casual gaming market.

If we can assume that PS3 and Xbox 360 hardware to be roughly equal, I can't see Microsoft climbing in their market share any faster.  And yes, Sony will lose market share, but it will remain a powerful force in the market (possibly even retaining it's top spot).

The smart thing for Sony to do, as mentioned before in this thread, is to leak a steady stream of appetizing screens/movies/info around the time of the Xbox 360 launch.  I think the Sony name has enough clout to make people think twice before buying Microsoft at launch, even if they are the first out of the gate.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2005, 10:02:56 PM »

If it were to come out in 2005, it would be Japan only...so don't get hopes up too high.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2005, 10:02:57 PM »

I don't believe this one for a second.  Everything I've read indicates that there is no way PS3 titles would be ready for a launch this year.  Plus, there are too many high profile PS2 titles still to come this year and even early next.  

What he might be referring to is the fiscal year.  I don't think a March 2006 launch in Japan is out of the question.  Anyone know what Sony's fiscal year is?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: