http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 01:50:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: What's the primary reason you're more excited about GH3 than Rock Band?
I prefer the announced song list - 4 (9.5%)
RB equipment too expensive / I don't want to buy guitars yet again - 3 (7.1%)
I don't own a 360/PS3 and only GH3 is on PS2/Wii - 2 (4.8%)
I just don't dig the way Rock Band looks - 1 (2.4%)
I really dig the new GH3 features (powerups, etc.) - 0 (0%)
Other reason (please explain) - 2 (4.8%)
They're crazy, I'm more excited about Rock Band - 20 (47.6%)
I don't want either game, and I don't know how to just click "view results" - 5 (11.9%)
I'm still on the fence - 5 (11.9%)
Total Voters: 41

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who's more excited about Guitar Hero 3 than Rock Band? (why?)  (Read 3252 times)
wonderpug
Gaming Trend Senior Member

hmm...

View Profile
« on: July 13, 2007, 06:05:50 PM »

In the "most anticipated 2007 games" thread, I saw a handful of people putting down Guitar Hero 3 but not Rock Band.  I myself am just completely blown away with how much Rock Band is upping the ante on the formula that there's absolutely no question which one I'd rather own.  Drums?  Four players?  More realistic looking guitars?  Online play?  Weekly downloads?  Entire albums for download?  For me the battle was over before it began.

So what's keeping you guys in the Guitar Hero camp?
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 06:08:12 PM »

i'm awaiting the battle of supremacy.  leaning towards rb as a whole, but i do like playing gh2 solo. 

tbh, i haven't really decided which to go with.

PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 06:09:39 PM »

All you have to do is watch this video and I think the decision will be made clear.  I will have both, but I am definitely anticipating Rock Band much, much more.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 06:10:30 PM »

Quote from: Caine on July 13, 2007, 06:08:12 PM

tbh, i haven't really decided which to go with.

Added a poll option to accomodate the undecided
JSL

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 06:11:56 PM »

There isn't an option in your list for my scenario. I don't own a 360/PS3 and rock band is currently not going to the Wii. I am on the fence about GH3 though, as the power-up addition is really turning people off and I wouldn't like it either.

From what I hear, I would rather have rock band though.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 07:03:20 PM »

I don't own and have never played any of the Guitar Hero games, but I do know Rock Band is being created by the original developers of GH and the new GH is being developed by Neversoft, so I would go with Rock Band if I was into those type of games.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 07:27:55 PM »

I will get both aeventually, but probably guitar hero first since I have guitars already.
In the mean time I'll play my drum kit in the basement, play my electric guitar, sing in my mic and then maybe I'll buy the fake bass for Rockband since I dont have a real one Tongue

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 07:39:00 PM »

I think one "problem" with Rock Band is that everything I've seen is about the group experience of playing together.  That's great, but it's very rare that I have four people over at my place who want to play a music game with highly specialized instruments smile  Now Rock Band could change that, but at the moment, I'm not sure how much fun it will be to play all by your lonesome.

Guitar Hero 3 looks like they're adding some interesting additions that stray from the straight-up music/rhythm formula and take some chances on things that might be fun in their own right - like the boss battles, the head to head play with power-ups and "attacks" and things. 

I think for me, it is nicely summed up by Bill Harris in this blog entry, except the things that he apparently thinks are silly beyond belief, I think sound like great fun.  He imagines himself as the ultimate hardcore music/rhythm game player, and that's fine.  It's good someone is apparently catering to that experience.  Personally I'm glad there are two players out there trying different things, so we don't have to stick with just one experience.

I imagine I'll end up with both, since I think we'll have a Bethesda Game Studios house band rocking out on a regular basis here smile
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 07:46:52 PM »

I like the GH3 set list a lot more than the Rock Band one (as announced so far), so that's my preference. Of course, the fact that I don't own a 360/PS3 also factors into it. icon_wink

Once/if I get a 360 I'll definitely get Rock Band. The downloadable albums things sounds awesome if they aren't too expensive. I have to agree with Kathode though about the party aspect. I'll be playing both games solo... I don't know people that play games, let alone rock music games, so it matters how both handle single player.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2007, 07:58:19 PM »

I think one "problem" with Rock Band is that everything I've seen is about the group experience of playing together.  That's great, but it's very rare that I have four people over at my place who want to play a music game with highly specialized instruments smile  Now Rock Band could change that, but at the moment, I'm not sure how much fun it will be to play all by your lonesome.

Do you not enjoy Guitar Hero playing by yourself?  If you do, then why would you think that Rock Band played solo would be any less fun?  It seems to me what they're doing is giving the player more options for both single and multiplayer.  If I feel like playing the drums, I can.  I can also switch to the guitar or sing.  If I have a buddy (or three) over, we can all play.  If I have buddies online, I we can play together as well.

I think the concern about GH3 is that they seem to be messing with the core of how the game works.  It might be akin to playing the next Elder Scrolls game, and suddenly being presented with a sequence where you have to jump from platform to platform and shoot wombats with a laser pistol.  Might be fun, but it's not what I want from Elder Scrolls.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2007, 07:59:06 PM »

Quote from: kathode on July 13, 2007, 07:39:00 PM

I do wish they'd say more about single player aside from saying that there's a "Solo Tour Mode" campaign for guitar, singing, and drums, but it seems like it would be really hard to screw up, especially since these are the guys who created Frequency, Amplitude, and Guitar Hero itself.  Is there any reason so far to think that the single player will be less fun than GH 1&2?

I agree, though, that a poor single player side would put a huge damper on my enthusiasm for the game.  That, and ridiculous DLC pricing.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2007, 08:07:53 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on July 13, 2007, 07:58:19 PM

Do you not enjoy Guitar Hero playing by yourself?  If you do, then why would you think that Rock Band played solo would be any less fun?  It seems to me what they're doing is giving the player more options for both single and multiplayer.  If I feel like playing the drums, I can.  I can also switch to the guitar or sing.  If I have a buddy (or three) over, we can all play.  If I have buddies online, I we can play together as well.

I think the concern about GH3 is that they seem to be messing with the core of how the game works.  It might be akin to playing the next Elder Scrolls game, and suddenly being presented with a sequence where you have to jump from platform to platform and shoot wombats with a laser pistol.  Might be fun, but it's not what I want from Elder Scrolls.

I enjoy it by myself ok, but I haven't played in quite some time.  GH3 sounds like it's adding more to the single player game (for people who don't want to buy extra instruments), although I agree the addition of online play and the other instruments in Rock Band are great ones.

I'm playing devil's advocate a bit, since I think both games look pretty cool.  But I disagree with your analogy as being too extreme.  I honestly do think that battle mode in addition to a good cooperative mode is not really that much of a deviation from the Guitar Hero experience.  It is not changing up the fundamental gameplay, but adding onto it.  Perhaps in ways that you don't care for, but the best way to win is still play the song most accurately. 
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2007, 08:08:32 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on July 13, 2007, 07:58:19 PM

But I see that as a good thing. The straight gameplay of GH1&2 is starting to wear a bit thin with me. I'd like to see some new stuff, as long as it's beneficial and not irritating.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2007, 08:31:20 PM »

What gets me mostly is the powerups.  Battles I can deal with.  Battles where my notes may suddenly reverse or disappear are less amusing.  For me, the core of GH is playing, and even after two years, I still love doing it (maybe it's the musician in me).  I don't mind change, but I can see the addition of powerups along the lines of what I saw in the video as seriously hampering my enjoyment, especially if they're implemented in singleplayer.  Multiplayer, I'd be more alright with them, but being forced to repeat a hard battle because of the computer hitting me with a powerup would annoy me to no end.

unbreakable
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2007, 08:45:23 PM »

I'm just doing a "wait and see".

Since neither will come out for PS2, I'll end up having to buy new equipment anyway.  Also, if RB's equipment and software isn't cross-platform, it's going to be (to me, anyway) a pretty limited and dissapointing product.

[edit] GH3 will be on PS2?  My bad.  Still doing a wait and see, however.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2007, 09:32:35 PM »

i'm not really sure which game i'm more interested in at this point...both have unique selling points, but the straight-forward guitar playing will always be what interests me most.  while the drum aspect of Rock Band looks pretty cool, i'm just not sure that i'll be willing to pay for another specialized controller that will take up space in my apartment (although being able to use my two GH controllers and not have to buy a new one will help).  GH3 doesn't look to be dramatically different from the previous two games, and that isn't really a bad thing.  as long as they don't place too much emphasis on that crazy 'battle' mode, i'll be happy with just rocking out to new songs on my guitar.  in the end, the game i pick up first will most likely be the one with a song list i enjoy more...good music trumps unnecessary gameplay features any day.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2007, 11:09:37 PM »

Quote from: disarm on July 13, 2007, 09:32:35 PM

i'm not really sure which game i'm more interested in at this point...both have unique selling points, but the straight-forward guitar playing will always be what interests me most.  while the drum aspect of Rock Band looks pretty cool, i'm just not sure that i'll be willing to pay for another specialized controller that will take up space in my apartment...

Even if you have no interest in touching the drums or the microphone--all you want is the guitar aspect--I still feel that Rock Band wins.  Even if you don't want to drum or sing, doesn't it sound cool to go online and play with a fellow GTer who does use the drums, and another GTer who's actually pretty good at singing?

But even further, if you totally take the drums and mic out of the equation, Rock Band brings the 5 extra fret buttons; a bigger, more realistic looking guitar; customizable avatars; the guitar toggle switch to change the sound; and (with the big IF they deliver on their promises and don't charge too much) loads more downloadable content.

I know I'm probably coming off as a fanboy, but to be honest when Rock Band was announced I was enormously skeptical and thought it would surely fail against Guitar Hero 3.  Frankly, I'm amazed at how much Harmonix has won me over, but quite simply they're doing everything right (so far.)
TC Weidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2007, 11:18:14 PM »

I love GH, but not sure about RockBand.  The screen looks a little crowded, sure it will be fun in a party, but us older people see parties are often as we see.... well, lets just say not too often.  If Rock band has a one player feature which opens the screen back up to characters and cool concert stages then it will fine, but if not I'll pass.   I really like the atomsphere created by the stage in GH,  in Rock Band it just seems from what I saw to be nothing but fret boards and colored notes on screen ( maybe I am wrong about that, I hope I am)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2007, 12:00:39 AM »

I was but now I've played Rock Band...hands-on coverage coming tonight. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2007, 01:29:17 AM »

If both games were free, I'd probably be more interested in Rock Band.  However, since I can use my PS2 guitar with GH3, I'm more interested in GH3.  There are also more songs that I've actually heard of in the announced song list for GH3.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2007, 02:54:58 AM »

Cant you use the GH controller with Rock band too? I seem to recall reading that somewhere, but could be mixing it up with GH3.
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2007, 02:55:38 AM »

I like GH 3 Better...way too expensive for rock band.  I might get both if I can buy just RB the game and no guitar or drums or Mic

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2007, 03:53:58 AM »

Quote from: jersoc on July 14, 2007, 02:54:58 AM

Cant you use the GH controller with Rock band too? I seem to recall reading that somewhere, but could be mixing it up with GH3.

I believe you can. Or at least they said you could awhile back. Hopefully that's still true.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2007, 04:00:25 AM »

Quote from: papasmurff on July 14, 2007, 02:55:38 AM

I like GH 3 Better...way too expensive for rock band.  I might get both if I can buy just RB the game and no guitar or drums or Mic
Are you under the impression that you can only get the game if you buy the ~$200 bundle?
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2007, 04:01:32 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on July 14, 2007, 04:00:25 AM

Quote from: papasmurff on July 14, 2007, 02:55:38 AM

Are you under the impression that you can only get the game if you buy the ~$200 bundle?

No...I know that you can get the game out of the bundle but I don't know if that sku comes with the guitar as well.  I know If I buy GH 3 I will get the wireless guitar...Bacially I don't want to end up with 3 guitars....  Plus if I buy the GH 3 "bundle" for 90 I get the wireless guitar vs. RB if you want the wireless new guitar you have to pay 80 for it plus 60 for the game

Last time I was in GS they said that these were all locked in prices but the site says they may change.
http://www.gamestop.com/search.asp?Ntk=TitleKeyword&Ntx=mode%2Bmatchallpartial&Ntt=Rock+band&N=0
« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 04:06:06 AM by papasmurff » Logged

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2007, 05:18:36 AM »

other reason

because,i am a big guns n roses fan(and i have just bought the new velvet revolver album)..so the oppertunity to grind along with Slash is too good to be true Tongue

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2007, 05:30:59 AM »

Quote from: papasmurff on July 14, 2007, 04:01:32 AM

Last time I was in GS they said that these were all locked in prices but the site says they may change.
http://www.gamestop.com/search.asp?Ntk=TitleKeyword&Ntx=mode%2Bmatchallpartial&Ntt=Rock+band&N=0

it's very interesting that Gamestop has the 360 guitar listed as costing $20 more than the PS3 controller icon_confused

has there been any word on whether or not there is a disadvantage to using the 360 GH controller with Rock Band?  all the guitar descriptions for RB mention that you can use the extra fret buttons farther up the neck to tap out solo parts without having to strum.  will the standard buttons on the GH controller not allow this?  if those of us planning to use the GH guitar have to strum more notes in a crazy solo versus just tapping them out, it could be a significant disadvantage...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2007, 05:48:44 AM »

Quote from: jersoc on July 14, 2007, 02:54:58 AM

The 360 guitar is compatible with Rock Band, but I have the PS2 guitar.  GH3 is coming out for the PS2, but Rock Band is 360/PS3 only.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2007, 06:02:45 AM »

I'm on the fence because I'm waiting to see what pricing structure & content we get with the retail release of Rock Band and the subsequent DLC for it. GH2's handling of DLC really let me down (I haven't bought any yet and have no intention to).

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2007, 01:04:15 AM »

I've seen nothing to show that the guitar part of Rock band won't be as good as GH3(as said already its by the guys who made GH in the first place). So even with just looking at guitar stuff the exclusives like Metallica and the potentially much larger song selection(unless GH3 ramps it up too) means Rock Band is the no brainer choice.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2007, 01:47:45 AM »

Quote from: Jumangi on July 15, 2007, 01:04:15 AM

I've seen nothing to show that the guitar part of Rock band won't be as good as GH3(as said already its by the guys who made GH in the first place). So even with just looking at guitar stuff the exclusives like Metallica and the potentially much larger song selection(unless GH3 ramps it up too) means Rock Band is the no brainer choice.

I believe that Rock Band will have 40 licensed songs (not including the downloadable albums or indies). I would guess that Guitar Hero will have more.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2007, 12:35:36 PM »

As to pricing - I directly asked and was told that any speculation is just that.  No pricing has been announced to anyone but, and I quote, "It is less than what you have heard, less than what you've read, and less than what you think - you won't be dissapointed".

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2007, 01:05:25 PM »

Check out the character creation and customization at the 12:10 mark on this video.

For me, Rock Band is so far ahead of GH3 feature-wise it's as if they came from the future and brought back the competitor to Guitar Hero 4.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2007, 01:31:07 PM »

Rock Band is going to competely kick the ass of Guitar Hero 3.  I never thought I would see a music game better than Guitar Hero, but I am here to say I was wrong.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2007, 11:42:24 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on July 14, 2007, 12:00:39 AM

Reading that coverage now. How did the non-master of Tom Sawyer sound, from one Rush nut to another?

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2007, 12:15:10 AM »

Quote from: lildrgn on July 15, 2007, 11:42:24 PM

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on July 14, 2007, 12:00:39 AM

Reading that coverage now. How did the non-master of Tom Sawyer sound, from one Rush nut to another?

Not too bad at all actually.  The music was pretty close to spot on, and the vocals weren't too bad.  It's no Geddy Lee by any stretch, but not too shabby.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2007, 03:54:01 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on July 16, 2007, 12:15:10 AM

Not too bad at all actually.  The music was pretty close to spot on, and the vocals weren't too bad.  It's no Geddy Lee by any stretch, but not too shabby.

Wouldn't not sounding like Geddy Lee be a *good* thing? smile
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2007, 01:02:22 PM »

Both Rock Band and GH3 will be day one purchases, but I'm far, far, far more excited for Rock Band.  Everything I hear and see about Rock Band makes it look better and better (weekly downloads, full albums, the drumset, etc.), while everything about GH3 is the exact opposite (ridiculous boss battles, incredibly stupid random "powerups", questionable DLC, etc.).  Rock Band seems to be doing it right in that they're simply making it all about the music.  No gimmicks, nothing silly, just a game that actually makes you feel like you're playing an instrument in a band.  GH3 seems to be trying to hammer home the point that you are, in fact, just playing a video game on a silly plastic guitar.  It's a subtle difference in principle, but a huge one in execution.  Those Harmonix guys certainly know what they're doing.  smile

It's been an interesting shift, as I was originally far more psyched for GH3 and thought Rock Band was just silly.  Funny how things can change.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 01:05:36 PM by Gratch » Logged

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2007, 01:06:44 PM »

Quote from: Laner on July 16, 2007, 03:54:01 AM

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on July 16, 2007, 12:15:10 AM

Wouldn't not sounding like Geddy Lee be a *good* thing? smile

ZING!

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2007, 01:10:23 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on July 16, 2007, 01:02:22 PM

It's been an interesting shift, as I was originally far more psyched for GH3 and thought Rock Band was just silly.  Funny how things can change.

You're not alone: the Gut Reaction Poll from April 2 shows a 2:1 ration in favor of Guitar Hero, and in this poll the ratio is almost flipped.  I know I voted for Gutiar Hero in that April poll!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: