http://gamingtrend.com
August 20, 2014, 03:09:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which should I buy..................? Reviews Please.  (Read 1264 times)
Scuzz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 19, 2009, 09:15:21 PM »

I am looking at some new games....to me anyway.

Mass Effect
Assasins Creed
Dragons Age

They would be for the PC.

What do you recomend? Why?

I like the Baldurs Gate games, KOTOR, Icewind Dales, Medal of Honor Series, Fallout 1 & 2....
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 09:24:14 PM »

If money isn't a concern then go with Dragon Age Origins.  It's really Baldur's Gate 3 (in spirit) and it's probably a 9.5 / 10 for most fans of the classics you listed.  If money is an issue then go with Mass Effect...I know it was recently on steam for $10 and I expect it to stay cheap to drum up interest in ME2.  Assassin's Creed is a good, action oriented, repetitive love/hate game.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 09:27:59 PM »

For band for the buck, I'd go with Mass Effect and AssCred.  You can probably get both of them for less than the price of Dragon Age, and significantly less if you keep an eye on the Steam/Impulse/Gamer's Gate/Direct2Drive sales.  I know both of those have been on sale for stupidly cheap lately.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 09:29:04 PM »

ME and DA are absolute slamdunks (the former is more like KOTOR, the latter more like DA) for you.  ME is relatively cheap these days as well.  

Personally I'd go ahead and get ME first so you can be caught up when ME2 releases in January.  

Assassin's Creed is more problematic.  I didn't enjoy it very much but I still finished the game (no mean feat since it took me over 20 hours).  There was something oddly compelling about it.  Even though I sold my 360 copy when I was done with it, I recently picked up the PC version for $5.00 in a Steam sale just because it's a neat game to play in short bursts just to admire the technical artistry.  And the PC version is better than the console version.  So I'd say for $5 or $10 give it a shot but probably not for more.  However the sequel is absolute bliss and one of my favorite games of the year so be on the lookout for it when it releases on the PC in March.  
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 09:29:44 PM »

All 3 are awesome games. If you want a rpg go with dragon age. If you want an action rpg go with mass effect. If you want action with no rpg elements go with assassins creed.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 09:29:46 PM »

Mass Effect is an absolute must play game IMO, as is DA. As others have noted though, ME can be picked up now for a fraction of the cost of DA.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 09:31:30 PM by kronovan » Logged
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 10:01:47 PM »

Damn the cost, Dragon Age is the game to play. Mass Effect is awesome, too, but some games just deserve full price. Unless you're really hurting for money, get DA.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
warning

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 10:06:41 PM »

I love Mass Effect and played it through twice on the 360.  I also have the Windows version and it is occasionally quite glitchy with my fresh install of Windows 7 (won't launch, crashes, etc).

Assassin's Creed was a lot of fun on the PC and looked phenomenal.  Play it with a gamepad though as it controls better.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 10:13:55 PM »

DAO is one of the best games of the decade, you can't go wrong since you liked Baldurs Gate games, KOTOR and Icewind Dale.  I think it's better than all three of those.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 10:18:49 PM »

Clearly none of these titles will tickle your Medal of Honor ElmoTM. You should give us a wider selection to help you choose from.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2009, 01:27:13 AM »

Quote from: warning on November 19, 2009, 10:06:41 PM

I love Mass Effect and played it through twice on the 360.  I also have the Windows version and it is occasionally quite glitchy with my fresh install of Windows 7 (won't launch, crashes, etc).

FWIW, I've played quite a bit of Mass Effect on Win 7 64 bit without issue.  Both disc and Steam versions (yeah, yeah I've bought it a total of three times now including the 360 release). 
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2009, 01:36:58 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on November 19, 2009, 10:18:49 PM

Clearly none of these titles will tickle your Medal of Honor ElmoTM...

Easy there scooter!   icon_razz

We don't stop playing games because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing games - Anon.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2009, 03:34:26 AM »

All 3 are excellent games. Having said that Assassin's Creed (which I loved) isn't for everybody. Dragon Age is superb, but it's new so it's expensive, plus there is no harm in waiting for more patches to clean up some of the bugs (and I have encountered a few). Mass Effect is a great RPG with middling to good gameplay, but an awesome Sci-Fi story. If you enjoyed the show Babylon 5, then you will love ME's narrative.

Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
warning

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2009, 03:50:20 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 20, 2009, 01:27:13 AM

FWIW, I've played quite a bit of Mass Effect on Win 7 64 bit without issue.  Both disc and Steam versions (yeah, yeah I've bought it a total of three times now including the 360 release). 

Maybe I need to buy another copy and it will like me more?

Seriously three times?  I thought I was nuts for buying it twice!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2009, 04:41:28 AM »

Quote from: warning on November 20, 2009, 03:50:20 AM

he's effin' HARDCORE man!

Because I can,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2009, 06:46:42 AM »

Quote from: warning on November 20, 2009, 03:50:20 AM

I like having everything consolidated under Steam.  So even if I already own it on disc I'll still grab another copy from Steam if the sale price is low enough.  In the case of ME, I grabbed it during the $10.00 sale. 
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2009, 04:36:08 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on November 19, 2009, 10:18:49 PM

Clearly none of these titles will tickle your Medal of Honor ElmoTM. You should give us a wider selection to help you choose from.  icon_smile

I don't do online so I haven't picked up anything new lately, but are the older Call of Duty games different enough (from the MoH franchise) to warrent picking up and playing.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 04:58:04 PM by Scuzz » Logged
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2009, 04:45:16 PM »

I would buy all three. If money is a problem then in order of choice it would be ...

Dragon Age
Assassin's Creed
Mass eFFECT.

i SAY THAT ONLY BECAUSE da IS NEW AND MANY ARE PLAYING IT NOW. tHEN YOU'LL WANT A rpg BREAK SO PLAY THE STEALTH ac. tHEN FINALLY THE BEST OF THE BUNCH me.

EDIT: Stupid caps lock key..all that above should be bassAckwards.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2009, 04:46:45 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on November 20, 2009, 04:45:16 PM

I would buy all three. If money is a problem then in order of choice it would be ...

Dragon Age
Assassin's Creed
Mass eFFECT.

i SAY THAT ONLY BECAUSE da IS NEW AND MANY ARE PLAYING IT NOW. tHEN YOU'LL WANT A rpg BREAK SO PLAY THE STEALTH ac. tHEN FINALLY THE BEST OF THE BUNCH me.

If money is a prolbem then ME and AC should come first.  They are far, far cheaper- you can probably play both for half the cost of DA new.  And both ME and AC are pretty lengthy (though not DA lengthy). 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2009, 04:49:29 PM »

if you did all 3 I'd say do ME first, then AC for an action break, then finally DAO.

Because I can,
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2009, 05:18:16 PM »

Unless you're really jonesing for DA right now, I'd grab Mass Effect and play that now (in fact, that is exactly what I'm doing presently).  Grab DA later when you see it on sale, and by that time it may have another patch under it's belt and so on.

AC has been on sale quite a bit lately for $5 or $10, so I'd just grab it when you see one of those deals and save it for when you need a break from the heavy RPGs.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2009, 05:37:23 PM »

Yes, unless I had a particular yen for Dragon Age, I'd choose the still excellent Mass Effect and AC for their prices: one could get two great games for less than Dragon Age, then when DA goes on sale (and they almost always go on sale) one could enjoy the magnificence that is DA.

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2009, 01:34:02 AM »

I'll also mention that Steams usual Holiday sale should be happiness in just over a month, and I imagine at least either ME or AC will have a decent discount.

Because I can,
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2009, 11:18:45 PM »

Quote from: JohnathanStrange on November 20, 2009, 05:37:23 PM

Yes, unless I had a particular yen for Dragon Age, I'd choose the still excellent Mass Effect and AC for their prices: one could get two great games for less than Dragon Age, then when DA goes on sale (and they almost always go on sale) one could enjoy the magnificence that is DA.

Target has DA for $44......
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2009, 05:17:53 AM »

Quote from: Scuzz on November 23, 2009, 11:18:45 PM

Quote from: JohnathanStrange on November 20, 2009, 05:37:23 PM

Target has DA for $44......

Direct2Drive has it for 40....

Because I can,
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: