http://gamingtrend.com
August 22, 2014, 11:50:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which JRPG should I play?  (Read 469 times)
Glycerine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 17, 2011, 03:48:20 PM »

I've finally got the time for it, so I wanted to play through one of these.  I've had them both for awhile now, just can't decide which one to play through first.

Final Fantasy XIII - Played up to chapter 7 and then let it sit for over a year.  Really enjoyed it, but the linearity was a bit of a downer.  I plan on starting over because I don't remember much about the story or the ins and outs of the combat system.

White Knight Chronicles 2 - The plan is to play through the remastered version of 1 included, then import over once I'm done.  I haven't played it much past the first 15 minutes or so, but liked what I saw.

With Christmas coming I don't have the cash for anything new, so which would the GT crew recommend?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 03:57:55 PM by Glycerine » Logged

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 04:39:54 PM »

I thoroughly enjoyed FF XIII, but if the linearity was a problem for you, I can't imagine that you'll like it any better the second time around.

No PS3 here, so I can't comment on WKC2.  I do know it didn't get great reviews though.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 04:41:34 PM by Gratch » Logged

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 05:40:40 PM »

WKC2 came with a remastered WKC1?...i will have to look into that

I have only played FF13,but if its Linearity that is putting you off carrying on,you should know that by chapter 9 i think you then get big open fields to play around in and it becomes a much more open game(at least for that chapter or two IIRC)

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 05:42:05 PM »

The linearity wasn't enough to make me quit playing, just a bit disappointing considering previous games.  I honestly was having a good time with it, just got sidetracked by something else and never got back to it.

Not much for the opinion of critics these days.  Since gaming has become more mainstream, I've found myself turning less to the so-called "pros" and more to actual real gamers like yourself who aren't just playing something to get a paycheck.  Tom Chick is a professional game reviewer, and his opinions are so jaded and ass backwards that I often wonder how anyone can take him seriously.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 05:45:42 PM by Glycerine » Logged

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 08:39:51 PM »

Quote from: Glycerine on December 17, 2011, 05:42:05 PM

The linearity wasn't enough to make me quit playing, just a bit disappointing considering previous games.  I honestly was having a good time with it, just got sidetracked by something else and never got back to it.

As the metallic one said, things really open up towards the end game and let you do a lot of exploring outside the scripted corridors.  I actually thought that hurt the flow of the game significantly (the player ends up losing most of the tight narrative while they run around doing random stuff), but YMMV.

Not much for the opinion of critics these days.  Since gaming has become more mainstream, I've found myself turning less to the so-called "pros" and more to actual real gamers like yourself who aren't just playing something to get a paycheck.  Tom Chick is a professional game reviewer, and his opinions are so jaded and ass backwards that I often wonder how anyone can take him seriously.

I'd agree, especially when it comes to JRPG's.  Many of my favorite JRPG's (even moreso in this generation than past ones) only rank in the 60-70% range.  White Knight Chronicles is a series I will certainly be checking out myself, if I ever get around to buying a PS3.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 08:57:16 PM »

I'd definitely go with Final Fantasy XIII.  WKC2 isn't a bad game, but it's far from great and a far cry from Level 5's previous gems like Dark Cloud 2 and Dragon Quest 8.  The remastered WKC1 is a nice improvement and the game is worth playing, but FFXIII is much better.  However, if you plan to play multiplayer with WKC2, it might be better to play that now, as it will only lose players over time.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
WorkingMike
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 06:52:20 PM »

Eternal Sonata. The game take place in a fever dream on Chopin's deathbed. It was a wonderful game and a nice entry into JRPG's
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 11:48:56 AM »

Quote from: WorkingMike on December 18, 2011, 06:52:20 PM

Eternal Sonata. The game take place in a fever dream on Chopin's deathbed. It was a wonderful game and a nice entry into JRPG's

Word of warning:  While Eternal Sonata is one of the most beautiful games you'll ever play, you will need an extremely high tolerance for childish, chirpy, annoying anime characters in order to get through it.  That sort of thing typically doesn't bother me much, but ES really pushed the limit and I eventually got annoyed enough with them to quit at the 8 hour mark.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 02:02:50 PM by Gratch » Logged

WorkingMike
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 05:22:09 PM »

that's a good point. It didn't really bother me that much, but I remember my wife commenting on it
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 11:17:56 PM »

I think it should be a rule that anyone who polls the forum for advice on what to play is required to follow up and post about the game as they play it.  It doesn't have to be an exhaustive daily diary or anything, but it's always disappointing when a thread like this drops off the front page and we never hear about it again.

-Autistic Angel
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 12:38:05 AM »

I ended up going with FFXIII, just made it to chapter 4 today.  I'm bouncing between it and Metal Gear Solid 4, otherwise I'd probably be quite a bit farther.  One thing I'm doing different is actually taking the time to read all the backstory in the Data Log, which has really helped me understand more about what's going on in the story.

I played Eternal Sonta back when it was first released, but didn't get very far before burning out.  Not sure what it was, but for some reason I just didn't get into it.  I also have Infinite Undiscovery on 360 and The Last Remnant on PC, anyone have any thoughts on those two?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 12:39:47 AM by Glycerine » Logged

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2011, 02:05:18 AM »

Quote from: Glycerine on December 20, 2011, 12:38:05 AM

I also have Infinite Undiscovery on 360 and The Last Remnant on PC, anyone have any thoughts on those two?

I had a love/hate relationship with Last Remnant, documented starting here.  It's a game with a ton of good ideas, wonderful graphics, and a decent story, but the combat and leveling mechanics are so random and so convoluted that it basically ruins the experience.  I tried Infinite Undiscovery a couple times, but couldn't get into it at.  It's incredibly generic and cliche, even by JRPG standards.

If you can find it, I'd highly recommend taking a look at Magna Carta 2.  I fired it up on a random whim earlier this year and absolutely loved it.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: