http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 04:25:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which games will you pack away with your system?  (Read 2954 times)
Dafones
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 07, 2004, 02:35:09 AM »

It won't happen tomorrow, or the day after that, but one day, some day, you'll be packing up your Xbox, PS2, or Cube, leaving it in the closet or storage space for a while as some other system takes up your time and money. Later on, the sucker will inevitably be brought out when you feel like a little nostalgia kick and a taste of classic gaming goodness. So what games would you want to have in that cardboard box? What games would you want to have handy when you need to relive these consoles?

It's not exactly a "must have" kind of list, if you think about it, because not only are these great games, but these are games that you'd want to play over again, games that go beyond graphics, sound, and wiz-bang technology. These may be games that you'll never get sick of, but in the least, these are games that you don't just charge through and then forget about.

My list is rather small, and that kind of surprised me. I sold all but one of my games recently to gear up for an Xbox and get a little store credit, and for the most part, I can pretty much do without the games I got rid of. So what are the real keepers for you guys, exclusive or multi-console? What are the games that you'd be insane to be without, for all time?

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Alice
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2004, 02:44:56 AM »

**Edited by management**

Be smart, don't wear the hat. - RB
mb737
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2004, 02:59:36 AM »

All of them.  I'm a pack rat and I don't sell games.

Then I'll either give it away for free to someone or it will sit in a box until I die.  I'm generous like that.
aledromo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2004, 03:16:36 AM »

It's not about selling them, but when it comes to proximity, Mario All Stars and Super Metroid are packed next to the SNES, and Perfect Dark still sits on my mantle with the rest even though the N64's location is forgotten.  

PS2 - Devil May Cry
Xbox - Ninja Gaiden and KOTOR
Cube - Metroid Prime

That's about it, really.  The rest are good but when the crunch comes I think they'll get their own box.

Alice...be nice.

Join me or die!  Can you do any less?
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2004, 03:22:44 AM »

I'm sure I'll trade in whatever I have instead of putting it away (at least that's what I've done every previous generation), but offhand I'd say:

Gamecube: Rogue Squadron
Xbox: the latest released version of ESPN football
PS2: not really anything I'll miss....
GBA: Yoshi's Island

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2004, 03:28:06 AM »

I'm a game collector. So I keep all the games that is bestowed the supreme honor of being "collect-izied" stay in my game collection, well, forever I suppose. I plan to display them when I get my own place.

As for the consoles, I only keep them long enough to play and beat the games I collect in their native format. Once beaten, they go into the collection, perhaps never to be played again. The consoles, I sell after all the games are beaten. This saves space.

If I get a urge to play any of those old games, I have my ways. *cough*
aledromo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2004, 03:35:16 AM »

What's this, Dimmona?  No Viewtiful Joe?

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2004, 04:39:52 AM »

Kingdom Hearts with my PS2...that's it for now, I guess.  I sell games a lot with the thought that if I really want to replay a game, it'll be available and a lot cheaper than what I bought it for in the first place biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2004, 04:52:25 AM »

Robotech: BattleCry
SSX Tricky
KOTOR
HALO
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
NBA Street Vol 2
Ninja Gaiden
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2004, 05:59:06 AM »

Quote from: "aledromo"
What's this, Dimmona?  No Viewtiful Joe?

I <3 Viewtiful Joe, but if I'm only allowed to choose one game I guess I'd have to go with Rogue Squadron.  VJ doesn't have as much replay value I guess, especially if you've played thru it a couple of times smile

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2004, 07:01:46 AM »

I never said choose only one game per system, did I?  :?  The flood gates are open!

And for what it's worth, I'd pack The Wind Waker, Prince of Persia: SoT, and Pikmin 2. Maybe I'd pick up Metroid Prime just in the off chance that I'd give 'er a second go in the future. I'd also probably grab Mario Sunshine if Mario 128 never actually hits the Cube.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2004, 07:37:46 AM »

Pikmin 2 is a great choice - I never had a chance to make it past the third world, but next to Paper Mario I can't think of any other game that elicited as much 'joy' as playing Pikmin 2 did...

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
vagabond
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2004, 09:50:28 AM »

I heard a game developer say one time it was tough being the creator of things that were transient, like sand castles. Games unlike all other types of entertainment media just do not hold up well. You can go back for nostalgia as you suggest but that is like looking at old photographs or something. The game itself is lost.  The game can never be the same as it was the first time you played it, I re-read books all the time and while I might enjoy them still, it's not like the first time. Sex is like this too I think.  biggrin   But, I tried to play Final Fantasy VII because everybody said it was the greatest game ever and I can see how it would have been great at the time it was released but when the first game I ever played on a console was Final Fantasy X, it pales in comparison.  I had this same thing happen when I tried to go back and play Wasteland many many years ago. Frankly it just sucked. Depite being one of the greatest games ever when I played it the first time. I could offer a few but as a bit more time passes my list will change. First person shooters really don't hold up well. I figured I would never part with Vice City, then San Andreas came out and I can't imagine going back to Vice City when it is the same game far worse. Right now I would say Disgaea since I just replayed it again after about a year and got another 100 hours of fun out of it.  That is the kind of game you could go back and play. I keep a copy of FF-X so I can go back and look at the cutscenes and hear the music. Doubt I would ever actually play it again though.  I only keep a very few games. Most of the old ones are worth more to me then as a trade in anyway, since they might be worth 5 bucks max.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2004, 02:40:22 PM »

I'd throw in:

PS2
-  FFX
-  Xenosaga
(I'd also have to include Chrono Cross, FF Tactics, and FFVII for PS1)

X-Box
-  Beyond Good & Evil
-  KotOR
-  Burnout 3

GBA
-  FF Tactics Advance

Nostalgia is a funny thing though.  I can go back and play FFVII today and enjoy it just as much as I did in '97.  But, as vagabond can attest to, someone who has never played it before probably thinks it's crap when compared to today's standards.  I guess we just look back on our faves with rose colored glasses.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2004, 03:07:28 PM »

Xbox Games I will keep:

PoP:  Sands of Time
Beyond Good & Evil
Burnout 3
ESPN Football
ESPN College Hoops
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2004, 03:54:09 PM »

Actually, I'm pretty close to that point with my PS2 and Gamecube... unless they're exclusive AAA titles, I buy everything for the Xbox these days.  With that being said, here's what I'll probably save (barring any end-of-life bargain bin purcahses):

GC:
Metroid Prime
Resident Evil
Resident Evil Zero
Skies of Arcadia Legends
Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker

PS2:
Uhh...

Man, I'm having a hard time thinking of *any* game I must keep for the Playstation.  Actually, I imagine my PS2 will find it's way to eBay before long.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2004, 06:25:31 PM »

Really, Laner? None of the GTAs? None of the Jaks or Ratchet and Clanks? Not that crazy ball game - Dynasty something or other? Nada?

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2004, 08:37:19 PM »

While there are a few games I enjoy nothing I ever played approached the sheer joy that is RAD (Robot Alchemic Drive) I'll never, ever, ever get rid of that one.

Ascendent
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2004, 08:47:13 PM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
Really, Laner? None of the GTAs? None of the Jaks or Ratchet and Clanks? Not that crazy ball game - Dynasty something or other? Nada?

Nope... I have GTA 3 & VC for the Xbox (and I'm not a big fan of the franchise); I don't really care for platformers - I've played a little of the Jak/Ratchet games, and they just don't appeal to me; while Katamari Damacy is neat, it's not something I see myself hanging on to indefinitely.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2004, 09:01:59 PM »

Quote from: "Ascendent"
While there are a few games I enjoy nothing I ever played approached the sheer joy that is RAD (Robot Alchemic Drive) I'll never, ever, ever get rid of that one.

Ascendent

That game was awesome.

I thought the story was absolutely horrid, but the way you controlled the robots was so damned fun I could've cared less what was going on with the rest of the game.

That was truly creative use of a dualshock, and it made the game a thousand times more enjoyable than it would have been with a more typical control scheme.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
aledromo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2004, 09:32:19 PM »

Never played RAD.  How was the control set up?  

Also, add Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Syphon Filter and Street Fighter Collection to things I have packed with the PS2.  Tecnically, it's PS1, but thanks to backward compatibility I haven't had to shelve those yet.

AJ McClain
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2004, 09:33:56 PM »

GC:

Super Smash Brothers: Melee
Wind Waker

Xbox:

Otogi 1 & 2
Soul Calibur II
Ninja Gaiden

It's not just that these are some of the best games I've played this gen. The reason I'd keep them out is because they're so addictive. I could spend hours in SCII's training mode, and there's something about the Otogi series that has me replaying the games again and again. Dido Ninja Gaiden. Crazy fun games with good replay value always get special attention.

Gamertag: Sin Mordai
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2004, 09:43:27 PM »

Hmmm... once the system has been replaced, I'm pretty sure it and all the games that go along with it will go to ebay or some friend with young kids that wouldn't know they are out of date games.

Of course, I generally wait at least a year after a hot new system comes out before I buy it (I bought my xbox summer 2003, my ps2 last month). I want there to be tons of discounted and used games available before I switch and then I will buy games like crazy in the following months.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
austen
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2004, 11:21:37 PM »

Quote from: "vagabond"
I heard a game developer say one time it was tough being the creator of things that were transient, like sand castles. Games unlike all other types of entertainment media just do not hold up well. You can go back for nostalgia as you suggest but that is like looking at old photographs or something. The game itself is lost.  The game can never be the same as it was the first time you played it, I re-read books all the time and while I might enjoy them still, it's not like the first time. Sex is like this too I think.  biggrin   But, I tried to play Final Fantasy VII because everybody said it was the greatest game ever and I can see how it would have been great at the time it was released but when the first game I ever played on a console was Final Fantasy X, it pales in comparison.  I had this same thing happen when I tried to go back and play Wasteland many many years ago. Frankly it just sucked. Depite being one of the greatest games ever when I played it the first time. I could offer a few but as a bit more time passes my list will change. First person shooters really don't hold up well. I figured I would never part with Vice City, then San Andreas came out and I can't imagine going back to Vice City when it is the same game far worse. Right now I would say Disgaea since I just replayed it again after about a year and got another 100 hours of fun out of it.  That is the kind of game you could go back and play. I keep a copy of FF-X so I can go back and look at the cutscenes and hear the music. Doubt I would ever actually play it again though.  I only keep a very few games. Most of the old ones are worth more to me then as a trade in anyway, since they might be worth 5 bucks max.

Remember kids!  Whistespace is your friend! smile
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2004, 11:34:30 PM »

Yeah, not a bad post up there, but it could use some paragraphs.

I don't know what I'd hang on to.  Basically, I think I'd keep everything about my current console (PS2) up until I wanted to switch.  Then I'd try and sell everything at once.

This might mean I'm a couple months late on the "newest thing," but that's OK with me.  Better to have something with games I want to play on it than just a piece of fancy hardware.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Temjin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2004, 11:48:21 PM »

PS2:  Katamari Damacy, LOTR: The Two Towers, Gran Turismo 3

Gamecube:  Viewtiful Joe, Ikaruga

Nostalgia re-visits need to be short and sweet, and the above games fit the bill perfectly.

Now Playing
Wii:  Zelda: TP
vagabond
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2004, 01:35:05 AM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"

First of all what difference does it make and how does that have any relevance to the topic?  Secondly, a paragraph is started when a new thought or idea or topic is broached. Not for appearance or to suit somebody else who doesn't have a clue what should be where to start with. I will tell you the same I used to tell some of my mentally challenged college professors. You can't tell me how to punctuate MY sentence, nor when to paragraph MY thoughts. It tells much more about your own failings that you try than anything in regard to myself. How about we stick to the topic at hand?

vagabond
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2004, 01:39:46 AM »

[/quote]Remember kids!  Whistespace is your friend! smile[/quote]

No it isn't if it is not required. See the above post and remember in the future to stop being a clueless bore.

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2004, 01:40:22 AM »

Quote from: "vagabond"
Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"

First of all what difference does it make and how does that have any relevance to the topic?  Secondly, a paragraph is started when a new thought or idea or topic is broached. Not for appearance or to suit somebody else who doesn't have a clue what should be where to start with. I will tell you the same I used to tell some of my mentally challenged college professors. You can't tell me how to punctuate MY sentence, nor when to paragraph MY thoughts. It tells much more about your own failings that you try than anything in regard to myself. How about we stick to the topic at hand?

If you want people to take your ideas seriously, you need to put them down in a manner that is easily readable.  We have grammar rules for a reason.
vagabond
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2004, 08:43:56 AM »

If you want people to take your ideas seriously, you need to put them down in a manner that is easily readable. We have grammar rules for a reason.<<<<<

Ahhhh, but that is just the point. He said my post was good, he was just nitpicking about something that doesn't even matter. Secondly, I followed all the grammar rules to the letter. I should know I have a degree in English and Education.  I know FAR more about it than either of you do.  It is those of you that just THINK you know what the grammar rules are and try to impart wisdom from your shallow pool that is the problem not I. You apparently don't even know what a paragraph actually is, but just think you should leave white whenever it looks nice.  If a paragraph would have been appropriate I would have made one. If you have a problem reading things just because it doesn't have some obligatory white space in it, you need to be checked for a learning disability or upgrade your reading level from the first grade.  In newspapers and many magazines they rarely have paragraphs because it is a waste of space. Same here.

vagabond
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2004, 08:46:52 AM »

I don't know what I'd hang on to. Basically, I think I'd keep everything about my current console (PS2) up until I wanted to switch. Then I'd try and sell everything at once. <<<<<

That is not a paragraph that is a sentence. There is no need to leave space in between them. Jeezzz, force me to give you an English lesson.

deadzone

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2004, 02:34:57 PM »

Heheh Vagabond... Let it go my friend, it's just a forum.  smile  

Different strokes - Pretty sure you know the rest.  smile

Love, (In a non-federal-pound-you-in-the-ass-prison type of manner)

DZ
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2004, 06:43:50 PM »

Wow, this thread went to hell pretty quick. Uh, anyone else care to add their thoughts on the topic at hand?

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
deadzone

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2004, 06:58:39 PM »

Sure, I would take my SSX Tricky, Super Smash Bros, Metroid Prime, and I guess a couple of Madden games.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: