http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 06:46:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where the Hell is the MechWarrior-like MMO Already?  (Read 1752 times)
Dafones
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 03, 2005, 06:21:01 PM »

Just a thought: how frickin' cool would a MMO MechWarrior game be? Plunk yourself into a galaxy at war, a galaxy where players have a story-driven reason to fight one another, one with various sides and sub clans, and see the fun. Remember MW: Mercenaries, where you earned money to upgrade your Mech? Helloooooo, level grind, anyone? Start off with a basic Mech, and earn the cash to upgrade it. Work for a clan or a guild, then make enough to buy your own drop ship or your own base, then hire others to work for you. Buy a couple of Mechs - the bruiser, the recon, the ol' reliable, and pimp them out.

Can you imagine the epic firefights that could come out of this? Battles where two sides of a few dozen Mechs meet each other, battles with real strategy that take into account the ground's layout and spy information regarding the capabilities of your opponents. What if the guy fighting beside you sold you out, right there in the heat of battle?

Worth mulling over, me thinks.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2005, 06:24:40 PM »

You'd have to sell Microsoft on it since they own FASA.  Considering Asheron's Call is no longer theirs (Turbine bought it outright) I don't see them getting into the MMORPG scene anytime soon again.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2005, 06:47:03 PM »

Kesmai and Activision had it right with Btech 3025...and then in the middle of a great Beta...they canned it.   There is a group working on a version using the Torque engine (Tribes 2) called IS 3025...as soon as I get the baby down for a nap, I'll link it for ya.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2005, 07:42:58 PM »

Then I should change the title, because I don't mean to highlight the MechWarrior franchise specifically. I just mean to ask where the hell is the MMO Mech game that I wanna play? I'd even be down with a mouse-driven control scheme, like the Heavy Duty series, in the hopes that it would be more accessible. It may make it a little FPS-ish, but then if the mechs themselves are handled well, it doesn't matter how basic the controls are as long as each mech controls differently.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
RobbieD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2005, 08:09:36 PM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
Considering Asheron's Call is no longer theirs (Turbine bought it outright) I don't see them getting into the MMORPG scene anytime soon again.

Vanguard: Saga of Heroes

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2005, 08:19:16 PM »

Probably because of technical limitations.  I have yet to see a massively multiplayer game with fluid and fast gameplay compared to a single player game.  Few have tried (ww2online, planetscape) but they are still limited.  Some use workaround such as instances but in that case, it not technically "massive".  I'm sure we will see lots of these types of games when everyone is on fibre optics networks and super fast video cards.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2005, 08:29:47 PM »

Quote from: "RobbieD"
Quote from: "AgtFox"
Considering Asheron's Call is no longer theirs (Turbine bought it outright) I don't see them getting into the MMORPG scene anytime soon again.

Vanguard: Saga of Heroes

I obviously stand corrected...I'm not big into MMORPGs, so I don't know all of them that are coming biggrin

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2005, 07:40:30 PM »

Not exactly Mechwarrior, but I do believe that some of the vehicles in Auto Assault have a walking mode.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Szgany
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2005, 07:49:10 PM »

I've always hoped that someone would make a game with giant mechs, ground and air units, all player controlled, MMO style. Planetside is close to what I would like to see. Add in 40-50 foot mechs, and a reason for playing, and that game would be perfect.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2005, 09:26:44 PM »

Quote from: "Szgany"
I've always hoped that someone would make a game with giant mechs, ground and air units, all player controlled, MMO style. Planetside is close to what I would like to see. Add in 40-50 foot mechs, and a reason for playing, and that game would be perfect.

I played Planetside Aftershock and its okay, but they didn't balance the game when they added mecha to the game.  It went from a infantry game supported by vehicles to mechwarrior with lots of squishy bits around.  It's a shame.  Part of the reason it sucks is because the hit prediction model is client side.  This means that you may think you're under cover, but if you're lagging or your opponent is and they hit your model during that period, the hit will still register. :/

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Sterling
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2005, 05:46:21 PM »

The mechs in Planetside have since been nerfed practically into the ground.  They're almost exclusively anti-vehicle/anti-air now, depending on their loadout, and even then they can't operate very well without backup/support.

I hated the mechs at first, but after resubbing 6 months later they fit in pretty well.
unbreakable
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2005, 11:11:26 PM »

Damn, I didnt know MS bought out FASA.  Are they still putting out the PnP games?
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2005, 11:53:10 PM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
Damn, I didnt know MS bought out FASA.  Are they still putting out the PnP games?

MS bought Fasa Interactive, the team that did MechCommander, Mechcommander 2, and I believe they had a hand in the MechWarrior series as well. (Some of them may have worked on the Virtua World software as well...the latest version looks like Mechwarrior IV).

The pencil and paper BattleTech version is owned by Wizkids Inc, and is licensed to Fanpro.  Wizkids is using the Battletech propertie for the Mechwarrior Dark Age tabletop collectable minatures game.  MWDA is set 100 or so years after the clan wars started, and is all new. Fanpro is producing stuff under the Classic Battletech label. set in the post Tukayyid treaty era.  The Classic stuff is virtually unchanged and is still fun to play.  I play MegaMek online sometimes to get my fix of the original series.  I have some of Mechwarrior Dark Age figures and have followed it since its release (and was even a events volunteer..ahem..Warlord) but it's basically Mage Knight with Mechs and it really misses the feel of the PnP game.  

Sorry...I had to rant a little on the game, mostly because I've played it since I was thirteen and have always liked it.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2005, 07:45:18 PM »

As an MMO, the BattleTech universe is fairly well suited.  It's really amazing that it hasn't been done before.

Think about the Clans vs. Inner Sphere as the major driving force in the game.  

Each of these individual Clans or Inner Sphere associations as a race - except the races don't much like each other.  So you could have allies one day of the storyline, enemies the next.

Different groups = Davion, Steiner, Kurita, Wolf Clan, etc. = cultures (races)

PvP capabilities = obvious.

The mechs themselves would be levels - as you progressed, you could get bigger (and more powerful) mechs.  And the mechs give you the basic types and differentations of "classes"  - command, artillery, sniping, long range, melee.  

In addition, you could have "classes" within the player character development along those same lines.  So your avatar is your player character, but you really have two - you and your mech.

Dropship deployment = instances.

Mercanaries, tanks, jets, infantry, planetary life forms = mobs.

Different planets = zones (could have a LOT of fun here)

I'm sure we could even work crafting in the game.  Repairs, engines, armor, weapons, instruments, etc.  

The progression of the storyline could be a major driving force in the game.  War is an ebb and flow - and actual player results on both PvP and PvE missions should influence the outcome of the storyline.  For example, Davion and Kurita are fighting over a planet.  Successful missions (depending on difficulty) are worth a certain number of points.  When one side gets 100000 more points than the other, they have "won" that planet.  

Seriously, this isn't that hard.  The backstory and lore are all there in countless books.  Use the stories from "Shrapnel" as inspiration.  Look at the video games (like Mechwarrior 2) for the actually fighting in the game.  Look at source material as well as user groups for instance missions.  Design the universe (and get creative with the planets as areas).

Heck, you could even use your GMs as generals.

Oh, and Solaris...just for glory.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: