http://gamingtrend.com
December 27, 2014, 10:52:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where do I begin? So many games, so little time, spring semester approaching...  (Read 1235 times)
PeteRock
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« on: December 29, 2010, 04:16:03 PM »

Since I've returned to school my gaming time and game purchases have been severely limited.  Purchases limited due to attending school full-time, and gaming time obviously limited due to coursework.  The release of Black Ops was an exception as the semester was winding down and I had a few dollars set aside for tires that got recommissioned for a much-appreciated new game.  Up until the release of Black Ops I hadn't really been playing any games as the primary title in my backlog is Fallout 3 and I've been avoiding it as I worry about the time commitment it'll require.  I'll eventually get around to it, but for now it continues to reside in my backlog drawer (along with Half-Life 2 from The Orange Box and Bioshock, the only games in my collection I haven't finished).

Then came Christmas.  New titles added to my backlog:  Assassins Creed: Brotherhood, Fable III, Mass Effect 2, and Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit.  Plus I've only prestiged twice in COD: Black Ops (made my 2nd flip just before leaving for Pittsburgh), so that's far from being retired from ongoing play.

The spring semester doesn't begin until January 18th, so I have some time to game my brains out until then.  I've been looking forward to Hot Pursuit (been playing Most Wanted in anticipation) and can't wait for some high-speed racing. 

While people have said that Fable III fails to meet expectations, the same was said of Fable and Fable II, and I loved them both, so I'm looking forward to continuing the story in the third title.  Despite high expectations, Fable games have always fallen short of Molineux's claims, but they have yet to disappoint me. 

I completed every single quest, visited every planet, and completed both the primary storyline and every little side mission possible in Mass Effect, loving every minute of it regardless of the prominent repetition, so I was extremely excited for the sequel but missed the release due to school, so I'm really excited to see how the story continues. 

And finally I'm a huge fan of the Assassin's Creed series, completing the first in the series from start to finish, completing 100% of the achievements in Assassin's Creed II (not 100% of the game, at least not yet, but pretty darn close, and every single solitary achievement), and I can't wait to see what improvements are in Brotherhood, plus I really want to see how the online MP is.  I've heard good things and hope to play with my brother-in-law and any willing friends online.  The premise sounds terribly addictive, focusing on the part of the game that entertains me the most (stalking prey and taking them out without a single person knowing). 

Odds are I'll open all four new games just to get a taste of everything all at once, but eventually I'll need to focus my efforts on one primary title. 

So, where do I even begin?  drool

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 04:22:15 PM »

so you have only have 7 games in your backlog?  and you call yourself a gamer icon_lol  Tongue

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 04:29:07 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 29, 2010, 04:22:15 PM

so you have only have 7 games in your backlog?  and you call yourself a gamer icon_lol  Tongue

Sold/completed the rest.  I hadn't been buying games for quite some time, so I got back to finishing Assassin's Creed II, GTAIV, Gears of War 2, Oblivion (each and every last quest), The Godfather, Mirror's Edge, etc.  It's not that I actually call myself a gamer, but I guess I should fear that my GT membership could be suspended for actually finishing games in my backlog rather than adding to them.   icon_wink

Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 04:42:15 PM »

I just finished AC2:B and it was great but I didn't get anywhere near 100% on achievements.  I wanted to finish it so I could move onto ME2 but of course I have ME1 to finish off and that is what I'm working on now, excited to see what the second episode offers since it is getting lots of GOTY talk.  I avoided Blops knowing that my time to play MP would be limited.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 04:47:47 PM »

Quote from: Zinfan on December 29, 2010, 04:42:15 PM

I just finished AC2:B and it was great but I didn't get anywhere near 100% on achievements.  I wanted to finish it so I could move onto ME2 but of course I have ME1 to finish off and that is what I'm working on now, excited to see what the second episode offers since it is getting lots of GOTY talk.  I avoided Blops knowing that my time to play MP would be limited.

I loved ME1, but I played so long ago that I had to read a summary online to refresh my memory.  Fortunately I held onto my save game so I can import that into ME2.  I'm thinking about opening NFS:Hot Pursuit first as I could go for some quick-to-jump-in gameplay and then I'll probably get into the deeper stuff later.  Not sure I have the time right now to get sucked into a deep game as I've got a shit-ton of laundry and cleaning up to do following a 5-day trip to Pittsburgh.

PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 04:47:51 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on December 29, 2010, 04:16:03 PM

Odds are I'll open all four new games just to get a taste of everything all at once, but eventually I'll need to focus my efforts on one primary title. 

So, where do I even begin?  drool

Same thing over here. I've added 4 games to my PC gaming backlog from the Steam sales in the past week. My plan is just to sample each for a couple of hours, then put them on the backlog. I like to focus on one game at a time, but on these days of many AAA buzzworthy game releases, it's so difficult to just play one game from start to finish and spend a couple of months just enjoying the game. This is the reality of the modern gamer. I've simply accepted the reality and my strategy now is to wait until I can pick up games for a low price; that way I don't feel too bad about just sampling them and putting them on the backlog until whenever.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 04:51:10 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on December 29, 2010, 04:47:51 PM

I like to focus on one game at a time, but on these days of many AAA buzzworthy game releases, it's so difficult to just play one game from start to finish and spend a couple of months just enjoying the game. 

I feel exactly the same way.  I played Fable II exclusively, with nothing else distracting me from it.  Same with Assassin's Creed 2, Mass Effect 1, etc.  But now that I have a bunch of games at once I want to play them all.  And it's tough to jump around between story-driven titles like Fallout 3, Mass Effect 2, and Fable III.  Sometimes I get so sucked into one game that I forget what I've done or experienced in another, and I hate feeling like I have to start over to figure out where I stand or refresh my memory on what I've experienced.  Hell, sometimes I can't even remember what the controls are and have to spend the first 10 minutes or so figuring out what the buttons do in one game versus what they did in another.   retard

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 05:20:13 PM »

Of the games you listed I would recommend Mass Effect 2.  Especially if you liked the 1st one.  It's not really that long and can be finished in 20-24 hours of gaming time. 

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 05:22:50 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on December 29, 2010, 05:20:13 PM

Of the games you listed I would recommend Mass Effect 2.  Especially if you liked the 1st one.  It's not really that long and can be finished in 20-24 hours of gaming time. 

What it you're someone like me who will most likely explore every last corner of the universe, visit every possible place, complete every possible side quest, all while slowly working through the main storyline?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2010, 05:30:05 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on December 29, 2010, 05:22:50 PM

What it you're someone like me who will most likely explore every last corner of the universe, visit every possible place, complete every possible side quest, all while slowly working through the main storyline?

the side quests in ME2 felt shorter than the ones in ME1, basically because there is no Mako to drive around in.  heck, at least a couple of them took less than 5 minutes.

of course they replaced the time sink that was the Mako (which I loved) with scanning for resources to use for upgrades....

Because I can,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2010, 05:41:18 PM »

I'd say go for AC:B or ME2 given your love of their predecessors. 

However....

Quote from: PeteRock on December 29, 2010, 04:47:47 PM

Fortunately I held onto my save game so I can import that into ME2.

You haven't switched HDDs or 360s without doing the data transfer tool have you?  The import save that ME2 uses is a hidden system and not a regular ME1 save so it isn't able to be copied onto a mem card. 
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2010, 05:47:34 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 29, 2010, 05:41:18 PM

You haven't switched HDDs or 360s without doing the data transfer tool have you?  The import save that ME2 uses is a hidden system and not a regular ME1 save so it isn't able to be copied onto a mem card. 

I have the original save stored on my original hard drive.  I may have had to send in my 360 for repair after completion of ME1, but I'm not certain if I completed ME1 prior to or after the repair.  But my original game was played on my current hard drive and has always been stored on it.  Does that work? 

I didn't know there was something special or hidden about the transfer.  I just understood that if you held onto your original save game you'd be able to utilize something in ME2.   icon_confused

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2010, 05:54:40 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on December 29, 2010, 05:47:34 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 29, 2010, 05:41:18 PM

I have the original save stored on my original hard drive.  I may have had to send in my 360 for repair after completion of ME1, but I'm not certain if I completed ME1 prior to or after the repair.  But my original game was played on my current hard drive and has always been stored on it.  Does that work? 

I didn't know there was something special or hidden about the transfer.  I just understood that if you held onto your original save game you'd be able to utilize something in ME2.   icon_confused

it should work fine if it's your original HD.

Because I can,
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2010, 06:07:42 PM »

Of the games you listed I would recommend Mass Effect 2. Especially if you liked the 1st one.  It's not really that long and can be finished in 20-24 hours of gaming time.  

I'd say don't do that.   icon_biggrin

Personally I found games like GTA IV, Red Dead Redemption, Ass Creed 2, and Mass Effect 2 to be much more enjoyable by sticking with the main quest and staying focused.  I plan to apply that strategy to Fable 2 and Fallout 3 at some point this year and see if I like them better than I did when I originally tried to play them.

envy24

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2010, 06:15:33 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on December 29, 2010, 06:07:42 PM

Of the games you listed I would recommend Mass Effect 2. Especially if you liked the 1st one.  It's not really that long and can be finished in 20-24 hours of gaming time.  

Personally I found games like GTA IV, Red Dead Redemption, Ass Creed 2, and Mass Effect 2 to be much more enjoyable by sticking with the main quest and staying focused.  I plan to apply that strategy to Fable 2 and Fallout 3 at some point this year and see if I like them better than I did when I originally tried to play them.

You better get started there's only 3 days left in the year Tongue
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2010, 06:17:01 PM »

Quote from: envy24 on December 29, 2010, 06:15:33 PM

You better get started there's only 3 days left in the year Tongue

I should be fine if I stick to the main quests though?

No?

icon_biggrin

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2010, 06:19:34 PM »

I did that to finally complete Oblivion.  I ignored everything but the main quests and finished the game at level 5 thanks to their levelled enemies ideology.

Because I can,
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2010, 07:38:38 PM »

If the goal is to finish games, I would say start with Fable 3. It's very short, and can be completed in just a few solid days of gaming. Plus, I saw no reason to stick with the game after completing the main quest, so you should be able to drop it after you beat it and move on to the next game on your list.

I received Assassin's Creed 2, Mass Effect 2, Rock Band 3, and Dragon Quest IX for Christmas this year. Rock Band 3 is every bit as awesome as I thought it could be, and it's completely dominating my playtime right now. Plus the occasional game of BLOPS whenever I can tear myself away from Rock Band. The rest of the games are sitting patiently, waiting for me to burn out on Rock Band. Once that happens, I'll probably switch over to Mass Effect 2 as I really enjoyed the original.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2010, 08:01:12 PM »

I think I need to start working out a gaming schedule (or get out of the house more ... nah, who am I kidding?) to work through some games.  BlOps MP is going to be a high priority, but I need to start working through my (ever increasing) backlog.  Of course, as I never get rid of games, my backlog goes back a ways.  Heck, I still need to finish BG 1 and 2, Planescape: Torment, Fallout 1 and 2, etc.  And then there's HL: Blue Shift that I never played, HL2, all the new stuff I got from Steam, etc. 

And, oh yeah, work some WoW in there as well.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2010, 09:23:09 PM »

ME1 took me about 45 hours to do pretty much everything.  I'm up to 66 hours in ME2 and I probably still have another 20 or so to go (including the DLCs).

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2010, 09:26:48 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on December 29, 2010, 09:23:09 PM

I'm up to 66 hours in ME2 and I probably still have another 20 or so to go (including the DLCs).

I just don't understand how that's possible.  I finished the game in ~22 hours and there is no way I only saw 1/4 of the content.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2010, 09:29:34 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on December 29, 2010, 09:26:48 PM

I'm up to 66 hours in ME2 and I probably still have another 20 or so to go (including the DLCs).

I just don't understand how that's possible.  I finished the game in ~22 hours and there is no way I only saw 1/4 of the content.
I think I had 45 hours doing everything but the DLC unless I somehow fmissed a bunch of stuff.

Because I can,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2010, 09:38:45 PM »

My first run through of ME2 took in the range of 45-50 hours (including all DLC missions) and that was pretty close to 100% of the content.  I completely explored probably 95% of the star systems and I think I did every sidequest.  

The planet entries can be a major time sink if you are into the descriptions.  They really went above and beyond on the level of detail in there and I loved how reading about all of the planets in a given system often let you put together a cool picture of a unique story or history for that system.  Really fleshes out the universe IMO (same with the daily Cerebus news updates they post every day).  
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2010, 09:51:07 PM »

I can't help you at all, Pete, given that I'm in the same boat with you, just for different reasons.  For now, I'm counting in my backlog only the latest games - and I'm still on the first game I got for my birthday in October.  I'm playing Borderlands GOTY, co-oping with Metal - which explains why we are nearing the end of it.  If I'd played it from the start, by myself, I might be one quarter of the way through.  Like you, I search every corner, try every quest - but I'm also lost all the time so I probably cover twice the ground you do, lol.  I also have that pesky muscle disorder, so I spend a lot of time changing ice packs, taping thumbs and fingers, adjusting tennis elbow braces, blah, blah, blah.  Oh, and I suck too, so I have to creep forward, sniping wherever possible, and grind levels and make money for the best weapons, etc., all of which adds to the time load.

After B'lands, I have the most recent birthday and C-mas games to choose from:  Fable III, Fallout New Vegas, Professor Layton's Unwound something-or-other, and - well that's all I can remember.  I know there are more, but I prefer to ignore them for now.  We haven't even exchanged gifts with our group of gaming friends, so in a week or two I'll have more games to play. There really are too many good games.  Yikes.

As for the rest of you playing 20 hours, 40 hours, or 60 hours, you are just amateurs!  If you added a zero at the end of those figures, then we'd be talking.  Maybe if you youngsters got off my damn lawn, you'd have more time to spend on games.  icon_biggrin

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2010, 09:55:39 PM »

I'm about to start Star Ocean IV but I doubt I'll get near your playtime  icon_lol

Because I can,
biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2010, 10:04:26 PM »

I have too much backlog to count...and I got countless PC games on Steam sales and XBOX360 games for Christmas.

I decide to go back to playing older backlog for now... I am currently playing King Kong for XBOX360 icon_eek
and I restarted Guild Wars on PC.

As my wife said, I don't have to buy single game for couple of years.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2010, 10:11:53 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on December 29, 2010, 09:26:48 PM

I just don't understand how that's possible.

I get that a lot slywink  I always take much longer than most people to finish games, especially RPGs.  With ME2, I read all the codex entries, talked to the other crew members after each mission, visited every planet and scanned many of them (with the slow scanning, until I realized I had more resources then I'd ever need), and spent time gawking at the beautiful scenery.  I always take my time with games, revisiting locations and talking to people multiple times.  In most RPGs I've played, conversations often change after you finish quests, and I find these conversations add a lot to the game.  This is also why I have a backlog of epic proportions and often take years to finish games, but that's how I like doing it.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2010, 01:34:06 AM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on December 29, 2010, 08:01:12 PM

Heck, I still need to finish BG 1 and 2, Planescape: Torment, Fallout 1 and 2, etc.  And then there's HL: Blue Shift that I never played, HL2, all the new stuff I got from Steam, etc. 

Good god man. I think it's ok at this point to move some of those from the "backlog" pile and into the "games I bought and never played" pile.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2010, 02:03:51 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 29, 2010, 09:55:39 PM

I'm about to start Star Ocean IV but I doubt I'll get near your playtime  icon_lol

Now you are making me want to go look it up, lol.  Lemme know when you finish it, like in a week maybe(?) and I'll try to remember to check.  Of course, that in itself could take 100 hours.   retard

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2010, 02:35:18 AM »

Quote from: msteelers on December 30, 2010, 01:34:06 AM

Quote from: Isgrimnur on December 29, 2010, 08:01:12 PM

Heck, I still need to finish BG 1 and 2, Planescape: Torment, Fallout 1 and 2, etc.  And then there's HL: Blue Shift that I never played, HL2, all the new stuff I got from Steam, etc. 

Good god man. I think it's ok at this point to move some of those from the "backlog" pile and into the "games I bought and never played" pile.

NEVAR!  You make take my life, but you will never take my backlooooooooooooooog!

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2010, 03:12:40 AM »

My vote is Mass Effect 2.  Totally sucked me in.  I can't think of any other game that I've kept paused so long agonizing over two choices in a dialogue box because I feared the repercussions.
Nonnahob

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2010, 04:07:14 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on December 30, 2010, 03:12:40 AM

My vote is Mass Effect 2.  Totally sucked me in.  I can't think of any other game that I've kept paused so long agonizing over two choices in a dialogue box because I feared the repercussions.

+1 I'm with this fella here. ME2.

X360 - Nonnahob

A few nights ago I played a while with Hardon and we had a good time. - PhillyPeteRock
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2011, 11:03:24 AM »

Quote from: Nonnahob on December 30, 2010, 04:07:14 AM

+1 I'm with this fella here. ME2.

Having just started this game I have to agree, I was totally surprised to see I logged 13 hours so far and have yet to really scratch the main story line.  I had no idea that I had played it that much, 6-7 hours sure but 13? Nope didn't think  I was immersed for that long.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2011, 01:29:58 PM »

I don't know how you feel about the boys at GiantBomb? They were universal in their disappointment in Fable 3 in that it could have been great but the end game was infuriatingly disappointing.

ME2 is number one on the list. AC: Brotherhood is supposed to be really good too.
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2011, 03:14:10 PM »

Which choices were those?
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2011, 03:57:16 PM »

Quote from: Greggy_D on January 02, 2011, 03:14:10 PM

Which choices were those?

Without spoiling things for Pete, choices that seemed the most likely to shape the main plotlines for my Mass Effect 3.

With spoiling things for Pete,
Spoiler for Hiden:
Memory is a bit fuzzy, but I think I had a really hard time deciding what to do about the Geth, and I think also on some decision about whether to tweak the genophage to help the Krogan population rebound.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2011, 04:41:22 PM »

I started by playing a fair bit of NFS:Hot Pursuit, enough to move ahead of people who have had the game since release, and then I decided to give Fable III a try.  Despite all of the negative reviews and countless disappointments, I'm really enjoying it.  I love the dialogue, my wife has actually laughed out loud at some of the comments made by characters, the graphics are nice (despite some hiccups), the music is fitting, the gameplay is fun, and so far I'm really enjoying myself.  If the game is as short as many say, I should have it finished by the end of the week and then will be able to move on to more robust fare. 

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2011, 07:19:02 AM »

Quote from: mytocles on December 30, 2010, 02:03:51 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on December 29, 2010, 09:55:39 PM

Now you are making me want to go look it up, lol.  Lemme know when you finish it, like in a week maybe(?) and I'll try to remember to check.  Of course, that in itself could take 100 hours.   retard

I may have to scratch that for now.  Disc One won't work right for some reason and now I'm tempted to wait until I can get my hands on the PS3 version just so I don't have to switch discs.

Because I can,
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: