http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 01:45:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where can I find a video of that FF7 PS3 tech demo?  (Read 2810 times)
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: May 17, 2005, 06:14:32 AM »

As per the title, some people here have said they've seen videos of the FF7 PS3 tech demo.

Being a fan of FF7, I just have to see it but I can't seem to find it.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2005, 06:18:32 AM »

Gamespot has it available for download, and it is amazing.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 06:22:04 AM »

That video so made me want to boot up FF7 for the PSX.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2005, 12:37:38 PM »

So...this means a FFVII remake will be a PS3 launch title.  Right?  slywink

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2005, 12:51:38 PM »

eddie a -

thanks for the link - what a treat!...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2005, 01:17:38 PM »

I liked it and all but I kind of expect pre rendered cut scenes from Square to loko great.

What would amaze me would be an in-game scene to see how much better that looked.

Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2005, 01:28:31 PM »

From IGN:

UPDATE: There will not be a Final Fantasy VII remake for PS3. Repeat, there will not be a remake. But, there will be a new Final Fantasy game. We'll have info on that as it happens.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2005, 01:53:42 PM »

Quote from: "farley2k"
I liked it and all but I kind of expect pre rendered cut scenes from Square to loko great.

Except that it wasn't pre-rendered, that was real time!

from Gamespot:
"One of the more impressive aspects of the Sony press conference was the appearance of a so-called Final Fantasy VII "Technical Demo for PS3," a recreation of the original CGI intro for Final Fantasy VII rerendered in real-time for the PS3 hardware."

:shock:  :shock:
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2005, 01:56:08 PM »

Quote from: "Ralph-Wiggum"
From IGN:

UPDATE: There will not be a Final Fantasy VII remake for PS3. Repeat, there will not be a remake. But, there will be a new Final Fantasy game. We'll have info on that as it happens.

Well, shit.

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2005, 02:00:25 PM »

A new Final Fantasy game?  See now this is why IGN is by far the best videogame site.  Their shocking exclusives!
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2005, 06:32:31 PM »

Why are there so many people who thinkt his stuff is prerendered? It has already been said numerous times that all we're seeing is IN REAL TIME. I think it is obvious anyhow, these new consoles are much more powerful than any PC currently and will continue to be for some time. This time, they win.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2005, 06:36:24 PM »

Quote from: "Sparhawk"
Why are there so many people who thinkt his stuff is prerendered? It has already been said numerous times that all we're seeing is IN REAL TIME.

So what does that mean to me as a layperson?

It is compiling the code right then, but I still can't do anything so it is basically compiling unchanging static code...I think

So what does that really tell us about how games can look?  

We still couldn't *move* in a game that looks that great but we can watch better videos?

Seriously I don't really understand what this means to me in terms of gameplay.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2005, 06:39:18 PM »

Square was just demonstrating that the PS3 can render the opening to FF7 in real time and make it look better than their expensive CGI did in 1997.  Since it was a tech demo it had nothing to do with gameplay.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2005, 06:46:05 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
Square was just demonstrating that the PS3 can render the opening to FF7 in real time and make it look better than their expensive CGI did in 1997.  Since it was a tech demo it had nothing to do with gameplay.

But....did anyone really not believe that a new machine would be much more powerful than technology from 1007?

I know the 1997 version was CGI but I guess I don't find it jaw dropping that technology almost 10 years later is vastlly better.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2005, 06:47:07 PM »

When something is prerendered, you're basically watching a video, a cutscene.  You could have the worst video card in the world, but Pixar movies will still look amazing on your computer because it's all pre-rendered.

In the original Final Fantasy VII, you see a very detailed prerendered cutscene, and when you switch to the actual gameplay you have a way lower polygon count, way less detail, because its now being rendered in real time.

In that FFVII tech demo for the PS3, if they wanted to, they could pause the video at any scene and move the camera around wherever they wanted.  Not possible with a prerendered cutscene.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2005, 06:50:59 PM »

Quote from: "farley2k"

But....did anyone really not believe that a new machine would be much more powerful than technology from 1007?

I know the 1997 version was CGI but I guess I don't find it jaw dropping that technology almost 10 years later is vastlly better.

Quite a few people found it impressive.  Those CGI scenes in FF7 blew everyone away when it was released and Square invested almost $30 million in workstations and other equipment just to render it back then.  The fact that we can now do better than that in real-time rendered on a $300 home console is pretty impressive in a technical sense.  Again, doesn't matter for gameplay but its an indicator for how far we've come graphically.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2005, 06:58:37 PM »

I know, think of it as a 3dMark demo for your console system.  Sure, it's not an actual game, but it gives you an idea of what game visuals the system will be able to produce.  If it were prerendered, it would be equivalent to the opening video of World of Warcraft, very pretty, but not being generated by your computer processor/vid card.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2005, 07:07:45 PM »

Actually, they're basically touting that the graphics you saw in that tech demo will be the same whether it's a cinematic or during play.

I suspect the new FF game will be FF7-2, they've been going on about it for a long time.

Although, who knows whether they'll find some way to update the original FF7 somehow and include it with the new game.  I mean, it's been a long time since the game was out, they've got to introduce new players to the series.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2005, 07:10:37 PM »

Quote from: "Turtle"

Although, who knows whether they'll find some way to update the original FF7 somehow and include it with the new game.  I mean, it's been a long time since the game was out, they've got to introduce new players to the series.

Definitely wouldn't be a free inclusion.  Since the majority of FF7 was rendered using 2D backgrounds the entire game (which is pretty enormous) would have to be remade in a 3D engine.  Thats a huge undertaking and would definitely be a full fledged game.

If we are to get a remake of FF7 the most likely platform is PSP reusing 2D backgrounds with all new, much improved character models.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2005, 07:35:12 PM »

If the Final Fantasy tech demo showed off real-time graphics, imagine what the cut scenes will look like.  :shock:
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2005, 07:37:25 PM »

With all the work that would have to go into remaking FF7 for the PS3, they'd be better off just making a sequel.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2005, 07:46:35 PM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
With all the work that would have to go into remaking FF7 for the PS3, they'd be better off just making a sequel.

I think its inevitable.  I can only think all of the spinoffs are working their way toward a sequel.  I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being FFXIII.
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2005, 12:26:08 AM »

We still couldn't *move* in a game that looks that great but we can watch better videos?

Seriously I don't really understand what this means to me in terms of gameplay

No no, you CAN move in a game that looks that great. That is what I mean by real time. That should answer the gameplay question.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2005, 01:00:43 AM »

Basically, when moving around and interacting with things under the player's control, the game really can look that good.  That's real-time as opposed to prerendered.
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2005, 03:08:37 AM »

Quote from: "Ralph-Wiggum"
If the Final Fantasy tech demo showed off real-time graphics, imagine what the cut scenes will look like.  :shock:

There won't be any prerendered cutscenes, so all the things will be using the game engine.  Therefore, you could say that cutscene quality would stay the same (or perhaps worse: there's only so much you can do in realtime).
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2005, 03:34:57 AM »

Yes, but game continuity would not be interrupted to go to a cutscene.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: