http://gamingtrend.com
July 26, 2014, 07:18:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where's the No More Heroes impressions? There they are!  (Read 6402 times)
wonderpug
Gaming Trend Senior Member

hmm...

View Profile
« on: January 23, 2008, 09:40:47 PM »

Chop chop!

Found them!  They were in this thread all along.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 04:08:18 PM by wonderpug » Logged
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 09:48:04 PM »

Amazon make me wait until Friday.  frown

depward

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 09:48:50 PM »

TML and I have our copies but we haven't played yet.  We'll probably get some up in the next 48 hours or so...

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 09:51:44 PM »

I watched my neighbor's son play it for about an hour last night.

It seems like a love it or hate it type of game.

He loved it. I hated it.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 09:54:38 PM by denoginizer » Logged

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 10:18:46 PM »

I played the first mission. 

The art style is where the love it/hate it thing comes in, I think.   It's extremely stylized.  It's cel-shaded.  It's also just so...irreverant.  You save by unzipping your pants and going to the bathroom, for example.  Actually, that's the most extreme example. There are also a lot of old-school video game sound effects tossed in.

It's over the top bloody.  Just geysers of the stuff after cleaving people in twain. 

The main character is a bit of an idiot.  There's a lot of pretentious, yet meaningless dialogue (I think that may come from translation).  The dialogue also goes on too long.  There was a conversation with a French lady over a cell phone that comes through the Wiimote speaker (which is pretty cool, IMO), but it went on for minutes and she repeated herself and was redundant and said the same thing over and over.  She was also saying things like, "Now prepare for entering the gates of madness..." when you were about to head poolside.

But the gameplay is incredibly fun.  Really very entertaining.  There's a tutorial early on, but there's not that much to remember.  Then you hack and slash away at a bunch of enemies, hitting the A or B button, holding the remote high or low depending on how they're defending.  Eventually, you wear them down and an arrow appears on the screen.  Swing the wiimote in the direction of the arrow and you cut them in half as they spill blood and money.

It's certainly an odd, entertaining game.  I remember reading one review that talked about showing this game to people when you show off your Wii.  I'm not so sure that NMH is a good choice for that.  I think without playing it, it would be off-putting, but even playing it isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 11:17:09 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on January 23, 2008, 10:18:46 PM

There's a lot of pretentious, yet meaningless dialogue (I think that may come from translation).  The dialogue also goes on waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too long. 

Fixed that for you.  icon_biggrin

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 12:45:11 AM »

Quote from: denoginizer on January 23, 2008, 11:17:09 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on January 23, 2008, 10:18:46 PM

There's a lot of pretentious, yet meaningless dialogue (I think that may come from translation).  The dialogue also goes on waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too long. 

Fixed that for you.  icon_biggrin

just sounds like the suda 51 we all know & love to me smile (whenever i finally do get a wii, this'll be the game i get with it)...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 01:39:03 AM »

Played for an hour.  My impressions are pretty close to Bullwinkle's.  Blood everywhere, all the time.  Graphics are both good (character design) and bad (jaggies and backgrounds). Combat is very fun. There's some wrestling thrown into the swordfights, adding some diversity to the bloodshed. The game has also made me laugh a few times already, (I actually liked the Wiimote call!) which was a nice surprise.

This is also the most physically tiring Wii game I have, other than perhaps Wii Sports boxing.  I think I'm playing this on the harder setting (can't be sure, they give the difficult settings silly names) and it took me a few times to beat the first boss.  Now my arms hurt.

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 03:52:53 AM »

I hope you all realize I'd be adding some impressions here as well if NMH's release hadn't been freaking well pushed back here in Canada!  icon_evil
Reading impressions of this while waiting the extra week is pure torture; might even have to take time off from this forum.  Roll Eyes
depward

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 06:43:08 AM »

Played 1.5 hours - awesome punk atmosphere.  Funny dialogue and cutscenes.  Typical crazy Suda-51 stuff thrown in (old-school ranking screen for what your assassin rank is, etc.).  Just fun as hell to play.

Oh and heard Heavenly Star being played in a cutscene -

Spoiler for Hiden:
When you go into Sylvia Christel's limo after your first "boss" battle

Good stuff!

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 09:05:04 AM »

What a freakin' COOL game.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 03:58:17 PM »

Definitely like the game, I can only hope that enough good pub can be spread about to at least make this game sell more than Killer 7, which was a flop.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Dramatist
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2008, 04:10:11 PM »

This doesn't seem like my genre at all, but I think I might step outside my comfort zone and pick this up.  I sounds very interesting.

Is it too racy to play in the presence of my 8 year old son?  Our Wii's in the family room and I would hate to only have a chance to play late at night.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2008, 04:17:33 PM »

Quote from: Dramatist on January 24, 2008, 04:10:11 PM

This doesn't seem like my genre at all, but I think I might step outside my comfort zone and pick this up.  I sounds very interesting.

Is it too racy to play in the presence of my 8 year old son?  Our Wii's in the family room and I would hate to only have a chance to play late at night.

There is some swearing here and there, and definitely a ton of blood. I wouldn't want an 8 year old watching me play the game. If he was 13 or so maybe 14 I think he'd understand more of the attitue of the game, which is kind of making fun of the type of Japanese gamer who would've actually bought this game.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
unbreakable
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2008, 06:04:16 PM »

Wow, after seeing this video with gameplay, I'll be getting it.  But, as with all my console game purchases, I'll wait until it's on sale somewhere (I'll probably get Mario Cart Wii as soon as it comes out, though).
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2008, 06:46:26 PM »

X-Play gave it a 5 out of 5, which got my attention...

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2008, 06:50:54 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on January 24, 2008, 06:46:26 PM

Gamespot scored it a 9 / 10 and gave it an Editors Choice award. Which is a bit surprising as they generally haven't been handing out very good scores to Wii game.

http://www.gamespot.com/wii/action/heroes/review.html?sid=6185000
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2008, 07:23:15 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on January 24, 2008, 06:50:54 PM

Gamespot scored it a 9 / 10 and gave it an Editors Choice award. Which is a bit surprising as they generally haven't been handing out very good scores to Wii game.

They are probably an advertiser, that's why. smile
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2008, 07:28:14 PM »

Quote from: Lee on January 24, 2008, 07:23:15 PM

Oh no you didn't !!!

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2008, 08:47:17 PM »

Quote from: Lee on January 24, 2008, 07:23:15 PM

LOL. Well actually there score isn't that out of line as the games current average ranking on gamerankings is about 8.8. If you read the gamespot review, they've got nothing but good things to say about it. Perhaps an even bigger surprise is that IGN, who often gushes about Wii games and scores them higher than most, only gave it a 7.8; go figure?

http://wii.ign.com/articles/846/846921p1.html

Looks like this game is getting the same response from reviewers at it is from some GT'ers; you either love it's style, are indifferent to it or outright hate it.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 08:57:40 PM by kronovan » Logged
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2008, 09:18:50 PM »

strange, but true:

day off, drive wife to dental appointment, take sack of old games to gs, see the only other customer in the store buying a wii, ask if there are any more, &, yes, there's one more, &, with the credit on my returns, it's $150. so, with that & a copy of nmh, i go wii wii wii all the way home...

only watched a chunk of the intro so far. graphics look very crude (gonna hafta work on the cable/settings thing), but it's definitely suda 51. impressions to come...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2008, 09:21:38 PM »

I started it today, and played for about half an hour.  I *love* how visceral the combat is: basic sword swipes are performed by simply hitting the 'A' button, but pulling off a killing blow requires you to physically swing the Wii-mote in a specific direction to unleash a *torrent* of blood and coins.  The wrestling throws work similarly, except they'll have you swinging the nunchuk too...and not always in the same direction as the Wii-mote.  Even recharging the batteries in your beam katana requires you to shake the controller like you're powering up one of those environmental flashlights!  This is a combat-heavy game that really gets you physically involved in the combat, and I think it makes a great first impression!

-Autistic Angel
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2008, 09:23:35 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious
day off, drive wife to dental appointment, take sack of old games to gs, see the only other customer in the store buying a wii, ask if there are any more, &, yes, there's one more, &, with the credit on my returns, it's $150. so, with that & a copy of nmh, i go wii wii wii all the way home...

Nice!  I don't know your specific gaming preferences, but I think Resident Evil 4, Metroid Prime 3, Super Mario Galaxy, and Twilight Princess are all *fantastic* games!  thumbsup

-Autistic Angel
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2008, 09:48:02 PM »

Played for about 3 hours last night.  I am ranked 8th.

The story is pretty cool and I like the cut scenes.  The combat is well done and the Wii mote functions are implemented well.  The graphics could be better but they are passable since they have a lot of style.  It is very bloody and kids should not play nor see this game it is rated mature if not it should even though the blood is cartoony the dialog can be bad at times.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2008, 09:55:22 PM »

About how long is this game supposed to be?
depward

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2008, 11:15:32 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on January 24, 2008, 09:18:50 PM

strange, but true:

only watched a chunk of the intro so far. graphics look very crude (gonna hafta work on the cable/settings thing), but it's definitely suda 51. impressions to come...

Well done sir, well done!

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2008, 11:29:41 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on January 24, 2008, 09:23:35 PM

Nice!  I don't know your specific gaming preferences, but I think Resident Evil 4, Metroid Prime 3, Super Mario Galaxy, and Twilight Princess are all *fantastic* games!  thumbsup

-Autistic Angel

yeah, smg'll probably be my next one (already played non-nunchucked versions of re4 & tp)...

Quote from: depward on January 24, 2008, 11:15:32 PM

hehheh... just don't be looking for my mii anytime soon smile ...

beat the first boss, & am wondering if i'm really cut out for this (as far as the wii, not the game, which is as sleazy, trashy, & dumb as i was hoping it'd be) - i'm guessing mastering the wii is all about figuring out how little you have to do, controller-wise, to get the desired results?...

also: must... get... component... cables... (going from a game like heavenly sword to this is seriously jarring, graphically)...

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2008, 11:53:15 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on January 24, 2008, 11:29:41 PM

beat the first boss, & am wondering if i'm really cut out for this (as far as the wii, not the game, which is as sleazy, trashy, & dumb as i was hoping it'd be) - i'm guessing mastering the wii is all about figuring out how little you have to do, controller-wise, to get the desired results?...

Yup, that's the trick. If you watch novices boxing in Wii sports they'll flail there arms madly whereas a more experienced player will only make subtle wrist movements and will be very effective. Flailing madly does still have it's advantages; i.e. you get a helluva lot more exercise. slywink Using the wiimote is definitely different than using the dual analog controlers we're used to and some folks don't ever really get the hang of it.

also: must... get... component... cables... (going from a game like heavenly sword to this is seriously jarring, graphically)...

Component cables will make a noticeable difference in color, textures and the smoothness of movement for any game that runs at over 30 fps. It may however make the aliasing a bit more noticeable, since the rough edges tend to be easier to discern at 60 fps.

Gratz on managing to score a Wii.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 12:00:55 AM by kronovan » Logged
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2008, 12:06:09 AM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on January 24, 2008, 09:23:35 PM

-Autistic Angel

yeah, smg'll probably be my next one (already played non-nunchucked versions of re4 & tp)...

Quote from: depward on January 24, 2008, 11:15:32 PM

hehheh... just don't be looking for my mii anytime soon smile ...

I think that once you find that sweet spot for being comfortable and playing you may even prefer the Wii-controls.

I usually put both feet on the coffee table and sort of rest my hands just below my knees.

Also, check out games like Metroid Prime 3, MOH Herors 2, Godfather Blackhand Edition amoung others to see how Wii controls really shine. It definitely took me a couple of weeks to find that really comfortable position to be able to play and not worry about where my hands are etc. , but once I found it I miss not having Wii-controls in my 360/PS3 games.

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2008, 12:14:52 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on January 24, 2008, 11:53:15 PM

Yup, that's the trick. If you watch novices boxing in Wii sports they'll flail there arms madly whereas a more experienced player will only make subtle wrist movements and will be very effective. Flailing madly does still have it's advantages; i.e. you get a helluva lot more exercise. slywink Using the wiimote is definitely different than using the dual analog controlers we're used to and some folks don't ever really get the hang of it.

Component cables will make a noticeable difference in color, textures and the smoothness of movement for any game that runs at over 30 fps. It may however make the aliasing a bit more noticeable, since the rough edges tend to be easier to discern at 60 fps.

Gratz on managing to score a Wii.

1) hoping i'm not one of'm...
2) good to know - thanks!...

Quote from: Tebunker on January 25, 2008, 12:06:09 AM

I think that once you find that sweet spot for being comfortable and playing you may even prefer the Wii-controls.

I usually put both feet on the coffee table and sort of rest my hands just below my knees.

yeah, i was basically keeping my hands where i'd have'm with other controllers (even tho i'd already read up here to not do that - d'oh!)...

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2008, 02:19:42 AM »

jeez...

just had the console lock up while i was biking around town, & had to unplug the damn thing - not good...

also: is the loading really excessive or is it just me? - every frigging transition point seems to trigger a 30-60 second load...

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2008, 03:08:14 AM »

jeez...

just had the console lock up while i was biking around town, & had to unplug the damn thing - not good...

I got stuck between my bike and a wall earlier - had to re-do about 25 minutes of stuff.  No problems with lock-ups, though.

also: is the loading really excessive or is it just me? - every frigging transition point seems to trigger a 30-60 second load...

Loading isn't that bad, not even close, for me.  If your Wii is vertical, check to see if it's making any weird noises.  Mine has many issues when standing vertical...

TheMissingLink on PSN
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2008, 03:54:59 AM »

the game loads a lot, but I don't find it bothersome, while you may think it's 30 to 60 seconds it's more like 10 seconds or so, it just happens frequently. It's not the best sandbox world game, but the action sequences and bosses are top notch.

I am ranked 9, just got some upgrades and new clothes. I love the style.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2008, 05:15:29 AM »

Quote from: semiconscious on January 25, 2008, 02:19:42 AM

jeez...

Make sure you perform a system update. I used to get the odd lock up, but once I applied about the 2nd system update (8-10 months ago) I haven't had one since.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 05:28:55 AM by kronovan » Logged
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2008, 05:36:05 AM »

Quote from: Tebunker on January 25, 2008, 03:54:59 AM

the game loads a lot, but I don't find it bothersome, while you may think it's 30 to 60 seconds it's more like 10 seconds or so, it just happens frequently. It's not the best sandbox world game, but the action sequences and bosses are top notch.

I am ranked 9, just got some upgrades and new clothes. I love the style.

no, the load times were outrageous. i say were because, after exiting & restarting, they're back to 10 seconds (as they were thru the first boss). not sure if i was maybe overloading the ram by mucking around with the wii in general, but it's all hunky-dory now...

Quote from: kronovan on January 25, 2008, 05:15:29 AM

Make sure you perform a system update. I used to get the odd lock up, but once I applied about the 2nd system update (8-10 months ago) I've haven't had one since.

did the system update as soon as i got it set up - again, i think messing around with the machine so much might've been partly responsible...

back on topic: kinda wish the save system didn't involve going home - driving around town's boring enough without the periodic stops there...

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2008, 06:30:17 AM »

Quote from: semiconscious on January 25, 2008, 02:19:42 AM

jeez...

30 to 60 second load?  No way, man.  I have not loads anywhere near that long.

I played this for a bit tonight, assassinating the 10th assassin, who actually gave me a tough fight.  I guess i am getting used to the mechanics, because I had to fight him 3 times before defeating him.  The game just oozes style.  The graphics ooze something else, but I can live with all the jaggies, I suppose.  It really hurts when you move over from a 360 or a PS3 game to it.  Definitely looking forward to playing it more.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2008, 05:11:22 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on January 25, 2008, 06:30:17 AM

30 to 60 second load?  No way, man.  I have not loads anywhere near that long.

yeah, it was pretty outrageous smile ...

barely got past that boss, as well (after kicking ass up to that point). from what i've read, the bosses are nasty, & some pretty precise timing's required...

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2008, 07:37:01 PM »

Here's an impression:

Shinobu, ranked 8th, is a BITCH of a fight.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2008, 10:51:45 PM »

If a boss is a tough fight can you do jobs and increase your money to buy a better weapon?
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2008, 02:49:03 AM »

#7 was awesome.  The battle.  The assassin.  My favorite so far!

And yeah, you can buy other katanas from Dr. Naomi...I'm going to invest in one before the next ranked battle.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: