http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 03:30:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When with this Gen stop?  (Read 400 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: March 16, 2013, 01:26:23 AM »

How far into the PS4/NextBox will we stop receiving triple AAA releases (even if they're ports) on the PS3/360?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 01:28:40 AM »

Quote from: ATB on March 16, 2013, 01:26:23 AM

How far into the PS4/NextBox will we stop receiving triple AAA releases (even if they're ports) on the PS3/360?

it with stop when it is good and ready.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 02:12:58 AM »

I would estimate the last of the AAA tiles arrive around August next year.   There will still be smaller publishes working on titles after that but anything in development that hasnít already been announced is almost surely going to be bumped to the next gen just to promote sales.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 03:32:03 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 16, 2013, 01:28:40 AM

it with stop when it is good and ready.

I LoL'd.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 06:18:20 AM »

I think a few AAA quality games will still be dev'd up until about a year after the release of the next Xbox, but will fizzle out in the 2nd year. I'm basing that on the fact that MS aggressively tried to persuade dev's from developing  for the Xbox in its 4th year before the 360 was even out, but there was still some very good games in 2006. With the the 360 now at about 70 million globally that may give it a bit more life, but at the same time its life cycle has been much longer than the original Xbox.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 07:01:45 AM »

I don't wish to rub salt into the Ceekay inflicted wound,but isn't that AAAAAAAAA? Tongue

SONY said the PS3 would have a 10 year life cycle and come this November it will be 7 years(and will be about then when the PS4 is out),so for AAA titles,i would agree on a year maybe two

Xbox 360 on the other hand will be dead approximately 5 minutes after the release of the NextBox and wont have time for a new AAA title icon_wink

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 08:37:56 AM »

I think Sony will be more keen to ditch all PS3 development, all their internal studios are already on the PS4, so they'll be no different than the MS despite what they say.

Honestly, I also think that this gen will stop a bit quicker due to the distinct change in architecture, and the big changes in other tech involved in game making. The 8 core CPUs and the GPU computing is going to change a lot. Heck, just fully using that ~8GB just for a single game is huge and that's a change that will definitely loop back into PC development. Once you have 8GB worth of content loaded in memory, it's very hard to go back to effectively ~256MB, and moreso to try and port it, or maintain the same code base.
tcweidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 05:38:55 PM »

its gonna be risky either way for developers.  Develop for a new system which you have no idea how well it( the console) will sell and what type of of user base there will be, and to do this you have to abandon a huge user base.  I think it may be a perfect storm.  World fighting recession, coupled with new generation of console with diminishing tech returns over the last, the whole mobile freemium price model thingy,  I for one would not want to be one of the first to test the waters.

With the cost of producing some of the AAA games, you have to sell a million units to even cover your cost, on a new console thats gonna be a very tough number to reach unless you are a stellar AAA release, anything less,  pack up your stuff.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 05:41:58 PM by tcweidner » Logged

Project Reindeer Games- Exclusive Family Friendly PC Games to Give, Play, and Share for Free.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2013, 06:56:42 PM »

Quote from: tcweidner on March 16, 2013, 05:38:55 PM

With the cost of producing some of the AAA games, you have to sell a million units to even cover your cost, on a new console thats gonna be a very tough number to reach unless you are a stellar AAA release, anything less,  pack up your stuff.

On the other hand, being part of a limited selection of games at a console's launch makes it more likely that the customers present will buy the game. This is what happened for the Vita for example. While there isn't a large amount of consoles out there, the games that are released for the platform tend to sell very well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: