http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 07:11:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When the Wolf Howls in the Moonlight, That Means It's GOAT Time!  (Read 1072 times)
Autistic Angel
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 26, 2008, 08:27:50 PM »

Really, really GOAT time!

Every December, people on the board start an anti-Game of the Year thread where they nominate their picks for the most God Awful, Overrated, Atrocious, or Terrible game of the past year.  Since we have already have a preview thread for what people might vote their GOTY, I was curious to know what people's GOATs were so far.

This year, I'd have to say that the most disappointing and overrated game I've played has been Spore.  The problem is that although the game gives you a lot of freedom in how you want to design your species, there's nothing very interesting to actually *do* with them.  Creature interaction is little more than "Simon says," there's no variation or finesse to the combat at any level, and although the space stage opens up a lot of new tools, the majority serve no real gameplay purpose.  Yes, you can create oceans and mountain ranges and splice the genes of alien creatures....but without any reason to do so, it all wears thin really quickly.

There's something to be said for the fact that Spore is pretty entertaining for the first few hours, but once I played through each stage one time, I found them to be too hollow and simplistic to consider revisiting.  Definitely a big disappointment icon_confused

What are you leaning towards as your GOAT this year?

-Autistic Angel
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 08:34:10 PM »

I tend not to buy games on release, so it is rare that I play a game that is too awful. Of the games I played, I'd have to go with Too Human. Very repetitive and some of the worst boss battles ever in a game.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 08:38:25 PM »

Very few GOATs for me this year. The only 1 I can think of is NFS:PS [DS]. Reviews made it sound like it was a DS auto racing game that was finally worth owning, but I found it shallow and pretty damn lack luster. Grid on the other hand blew it out of the water and proved that auto racing on the DS can be great.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 08:46:34 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on November 26, 2008, 08:27:50 PM

This year, I'd have to say that the most disappointing and overrated game I've played has been Spore.

Agreed. It was entertaining for about 5 hours total.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 08:50:12 PM »

Spectral Force 3.  God, that was a painful review.

As far as games I actually chose (as opposed to getting assigned), I'd probably go with Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles on DS.  I really enjoyed the Gamecube version, but the DS flavor did absolutely nothing for me.   I had high hopes after reading some of the reviews, but found myself alternately bored and frustrated with it.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 09:03:17 PM »

terrible in many ways, alone in the dark gets my vote this year.  it could have been so much better, and by all accounts, the ps3 version fixes it and makes the game more enjoyable, but the publicized stink on this game kills any chance of getting a sequel.  and for that, it warrants not only a crappy game label, but a franchise killer as well. 

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 09:06:31 PM »

My vote is defintiely Spore.  They had awesome potential, showed demos proving they were going to realize it, then completely missed the mark with the final product.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 09:21:07 PM »

Facebreaker.

I wanted to love it so much and hoped it would hearld the return of fun boxing games like Mike Tyson's punchout.  It started out well...then the omniscient AI kicked in and game became unplayable.

I'm still irked about this one. The presentation was great. The characters were fun. The art style was perfect.

The unpossible AI  disgust icon_evil   ruined  disgust icon_evil the game and probably sunk would could have been a fun franchise.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2008, 12:09:59 AM »

Alone In The Dark- great concept and atmosphere ruined by horrid controls and bugs.
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2008, 01:03:22 AM »

Spore for sure. Hell Black and White held my attention longer.  crybaby
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2008, 01:28:14 AM »

while i was also disappointed by ff:cc ring of fates (as well as a number of other games), i'm not sure, given the definition of goat (i mean, we're talking despicable, uber-hyped mess, here), i really have one - i just avoided anything that didn't sound quite right, &, more often than not, ended up enjoying games i was already looking forward to far more than i ever thought i would (which's made for a pretty nice year, basically)...

sorry - i'll make an effort to get at least one fuck-up next year...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2008, 01:57:05 AM »

I hate to say this but my pick would be Resistance 2.

I haven't played any games that I would say were total bombs.  But R2 is defiantly my biggest disappointment this year.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 02:55:36 AM by denoginizer » Logged

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2008, 02:25:11 AM »

Spore is the easy choice for me. I had very high hopes and expectations for the title, and wow, what a letdown.

Another letdown was Mirror's Edge, but not to the degree of Spore, and I'm basing that on reviews & feedback. I played the demo, but it's 5-6 hour playtime and repetitive gameplay forced another highly anticipated title into "pass" mode.

Many "full" games are clocking in the 5-6 hour range now it seems. Hell I remember when demos and shareware gave you more playtime than that.  icon_confused
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 02:26:45 AM by Jeff Jones » Logged
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2008, 02:26:07 AM »

Out of what I played this year I would have to go with WALL-E. Terrible platforming and controls. It was a real shame since it had the potential to be great considering what they had to work with.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2008, 03:17:36 AM »

Quote from: semiconscious on November 27, 2008, 01:28:14 AM

while i was also disappointed by ff:cc ring of fates (as well as a number of other games), i'm not sure, given the definition of goat (i mean, we're talking despicable, uber-hyped mess, here), i really have one - i just avoided anything that didn't sound quite right, &, more often than not, ended up enjoying games i was already looking forward to far more than i ever thought i would (which's made for a pretty nice year, basically)...

I understand what you're saying, but if you look back at last year's official GOAT thread, most of that discussion was centered on Bioshock, Halo 3 and Mass Effect. eek

Despite the "god-awful" and "atrocious" descriptors, I think it's safe to nominate GOAT games that you were just personally disappointed in. icon_wink

-Autistic Angel
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2008, 04:47:12 AM »

I'll add another to the Spore pile, with the runner up being RB6:Vegas 2.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2008, 05:13:51 AM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on November 27, 2008, 03:17:36 AM

Quote from: semiconscious on November 27, 2008, 01:28:14 AM

I understand what you're saying, but if you look back at last year's official GOAT thread, most of that discussion was centered on Bioshock, Halo 3 and Mass Effect. eek

Despite the "god-awful" and "atrocious" descriptors, I think it's safe to nominate GOAT games that you were just personally disappointed in. icon_wink

-Autistic Angel

yeah, well, according to that, i could mention gta4, or bioshock - but, thing is, i never bought into the hype, & the fact that i personally wasn't blown away by them didn't really surprise me a whole lot. people being down on certain games, particularly spore (memories of b&w), i can understand, but only in the context that they were led to believe certain things, & expected something more than what was actually there. had something like mgs4 or lbp, some game i was really looking forward to, let me down like that, i'd likely feel the same...

but this year, anyway, that just didn't happen to me. so, other than mentioning i was kinda disappointed with the way the multiplayer in ring of fates was handled, i'll still abstain smile ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: