http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 09:26:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When do you buy games?  (Read 351 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: April 30, 2014, 05:10:12 PM »

I'm interested to know - when do you guys buy your games?   With multiplayer it's always tough to wait due to forum effect or the fact that multi dies after a while.  Are you folks bleeding edge day 1 preorder junkies like me, or do you wait a while and overturn the cheap bin?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 05:12:38 PM »

If I want a game I usually get it within the first 2 or 3 weeks of release. After that it's out of sight, out of mind and I've moved on to the next bit of hotness.

I only buy maybe 4-5 full price games a year though (not counting PS+ or iOS), so it's easy for me to grab new titles that interest me once every couple months or so.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 05:22:06 PM »

AAA games that I'm excited for that have some kind of pre-order bonus are pre-ordered through the best retailer deal I can find.  Infamous, Watch Dogs, etc. 

most everything else goes into the wait for reviews stage where they either get removed completely, wait until sale or move up to buy when I feel compelled to pick up something new.  Bundle fodder games get wishlisted on Steam so I don't forget being interested.

Those deep sales you see through Steam/GMG/PSN have been the wrench in the plan though as seeing something for 75% off triggers my impulse purchase response.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 05:25:39 PM »

Day one for most games.  If theres' something that I'm meh on I may get it if it's on sale down the line.  If I know I'm going to buy it, it's day one baby!
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 05:25:45 PM »

Games I really want I'll preorder (previously for release day shipping on Amazon Prime, but now just digital on PS4 or X1). Sometimes there's a game that I'll buy shortly after release after positive buzz.

Otherwise the game is either never purchased or purchased for a steep, steep discount on a Steam sale on PC.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 05:39:01 PM »

I used to be more of a Day One buyer with my Xbox360, but since I've transitioned to the PC and mostly Steam, not so much. There are few titles, even AAA ones, I'll get before I see some reviews, and even then I might have to wait for a sale. I've been pretty spoiled by the Steam sales  nod

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 06:00:22 PM »

I'll buy Day 1 games but only if there's a decent discount I can apply to it. My main go to is GMG where you typically get at least 20% discount on Day 1 releases - sometimes 25%. If that's no good I'll look at Amazon where I typically have gift cards coming in every few months from my credit card rewards. And if all else fails I'll use Steam where I typically have a credit of some sort from selling cards.

I can't think of the last Day 1 game I purchased at full price.

I've been trying to get away from doing the Early Access stuff too as I found the game changes quite a bit from early access to final. And the final release can be 6+ months down the road. Would rather just wait for the real deal then getting the game in small chunks every few months.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 06:20:02 PM »

I rarely buy games on day 1 anymore, mainly because there aren't many games that excite me these days. I would say I tend to grab them 3-4 weeks after release.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 06:34:33 PM »

Typically Day One if it's a game I want to play right away, but here recently some games especially if it's on PC and on Steam I am awaiting the usual Steam sale.  I'm going all digital for the XB1..   I'll miss out on discounts, but just saying; "xbox go to Titanfall"  is just to damn convenient now
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 06:43:33 PM by Soulchilde » Logged

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 06:35:09 PM »

Steam mostly now. Origin a bit a couple years back (Mass Effect 3, couple other things).

My last boxed PC titles I bought at Target, which has a surprisingly decent PC games section. However, when you more and more often buy a boxed game and the instructions tell you to go to Steam and download the game there (the disc is essentially useless), it doesn't give much impetus to buy boxed titles anymore.

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2014, 06:57:31 PM »

Almost always after reviews but beyond that it’s really only dependent on how much I want to play the title right now.  Generally this means that unique indie titles are purchased within a week of release but larger “spectacle” games I put off for a couple months until they get their first sale.

Green Man Gaming has disrupted this lately though by allowing me to get big name titles for $10-20 off on release day.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2014, 07:05:59 PM »

As others have said, for anything I'm really interested in it's a lot of day 1, especially when getting a deal through GMG or Amazon or something. 

Otherwise if it's something I'm not all that excited about I usually end up waiting until I can get it at least 50% off, either on a Steam sale or when the price has been reduced at retail.

And then I buy lots of other random games from Humble Bundles or Steam sales, but I find I don't tend to play a lot of those so I've tried to cut back on that.

And I guess I've backed several Kickstarters at this point and some of them have already delivered, in early access or are near to release, so I suppose you'd say I bought those on day 0.  smile

Sandwiches do fix everything.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2014, 07:07:17 PM »

It's a mix for me.

I will pre-order AAA games that I have a very high confidence in what the review scores will be. This would include something like Watch Dogs or Titanfall.

Everything else I buy close to release falls in the 'wait for reviews' pile. Since most reviews come out slightly before launch, this means I may still pick up a title on launch day provided reviews were stellar.

Then you've got the stuff I wait on. This would be games that may have gotten good reviews but that I'm less interested in, or stuff that I can afford to pick up when they're cheaper and I have more time. Since Steam, a LOT of PC titles fall into this category. Unless it's an absolute must-have AAA title or a multiplayer title/MMO that is best experienced when the hype is the highest, I find myself more and more willing to delay gratification until price comes down.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2014, 07:30:32 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on April 30, 2014, 07:07:17 PM

It's a mix for me.

I will pre-order AAA games that I have a very high confidence in what the review scores will be. This would include something like Watch Dogs or Titanfall.

Everything else I buy close to release falls in the 'wait for reviews' pile. Since most reviews come out slightly before launch, this means I may still pick up a title on launch day provided reviews were stellar.

Then you've got the stuff I wait on. This would be games that may have gotten good reviews but that I'm less interested in, or stuff that I can afford to pick up when they're cheaper and I have more time. Since Steam, a LOT of PC titles fall into this category. Unless it's an absolute must-have AAA title or a multiplayer title/MMO that is best experienced when the hype is the highest, I find myself more and more willing to delay gratification until price comes down.

Pretty much this.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2014, 08:30:51 PM »

I wait for sales, always. Nowdays I just about always wait till it hits $10 on Steam or elsewhere. I don't play multiplayer so I don't have to worry about that. It has the added benefit that by then the game is completely patched. There has also been times where I was able to stay away entirely when something turned out to be a total mess. My will power might be tested this fall because a lot of RPG's are coming out that are right in my sweet spot. But it's worked well so far.
Travis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2014, 08:33:56 PM »

It's all over the place thanks to Steam.  With that option it makes it easier to impulse buy an older title.  Back in the EB days, it was day one for me. 
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2014, 12:06:47 AM »

I used to be a day 1 (or near day1) buyer for the games I was psyched about, but lately not so much.

I did buy thief 4 early since it was 20% off from GMG.

Right now, I am aware of no forthcoming games that I would buy on release day.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2014, 01:12:12 AM »

multiplayer I have to get day one before people give up on it.  Some of the best games I've played have died early deaths because nobody plays them and it's a shame.  Good single player I MIGHT pick up early, but typically if it's single player only I can wait for 50% off or better.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2014, 05:39:48 AM »

All over the place. Some day one that after reading reviews I'll know I'll enjoy. Otherwise, it's a crapshoot! nod
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2014, 08:24:08 AM »

As soon as there's a price cut or special running. I can't remember the last time I played full price for a game.

I picked up Battlefield 4 (PS3) a couple months ago on Amazon for $19.99 when they were running a special on it.

Picked up WWE2K14 for $29.99 as soon as it got it's price cut.

I have so many games to catch up on I don't see too many reasons to pay $60+ for a game when I can just wait a few weeks/months for the inevitable price drop, even if it's just temporarily.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: