http://gamingtrend.com
September 20, 2014, 10:15:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When did Madden dramatically start sucking this much?  (Read 874 times)
Tebunker
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« on: August 29, 2013, 01:17:41 PM »

Okay I will be honest, Madden 25 is my first Madden game in, about 3 years, I got Madden 10, thought it was okay, but not the mess 25 feels like. I do not remember that version being that bad. M25 feels clunky, they jam way to much presentation that you can't just skip through easily, lots of load times, graphics aren't that much better. Physics don't seem to have changed much, they fiddle with the controls so damned much I feel like I have to constantly keep checking them in the menus to make sure I am running the ball right.

Before that was Madden 2005 for me. So I am not a huge fan of the series, and I can say with certainty I won't buy another one. Heck I wouldn't have gotten this one if it didn't come with an Online pass for NFL Sunday ticket.

Has all of the just happened in the last three years? Or since I don't play the series that much have I just not noticed the decline as much?

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 01:31:32 PM »

Interesting... this got quite a glowing review here. I don't play sports games so can't address any of the issues but wondering how your thoughts (Tebunker) line up with the review...

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 02:02:24 PM »

The only real downside is outside of the games themselves, in the menus.  While they have been stylized and look better than they have in the past few years, they are rife with clunky loading lags.  Going one page too far past your target can be a frustrating and time-consuming endeavor.  Like Madden 13, the EA Trax have been abandoned in favor of an orchestral soundtrack for Madden 25.  This is a double-edged sword–it’s great to avoid the painfully bad playlists of previous Madden titles, but the orchestra is overly bombastic and gets irritating after a short while.  Many of the menus within Connected Franchise are also hard to navigate, though time will likely familiarize players with the way everything works.  Many of the lag problems may be fixed in later updates, and with some well-planned updates through the year, the Madden team can really push this game up into the next echelon of greatness.

The menu thing is a killer thing for me. The loading is ridiculous. I don't like the presentation at all, and I haven't found the menu option to turn it all off. While I feel that there are some improvements, I don't think this is a great football game. Not saying it is terrible. I guess I am comparing it to how enjoyable many past football games were, and this does not live up to it for me. I will play it some more, but after 3 games last night, I was pretty much unhappy with the game.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 02:33:01 PM »

Madden started sucking once EA obtained the exclusive rights

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 03:23:54 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on August 29, 2013, 02:33:01 PM

Madden started sucking once EA obtained the exclusive rights

Exactly. Not only did it start to suck, but they eliminated the otherwise excellent competition. Screwing everyone in the process. I haven't bought a Madden game since then.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 04:04:50 PM »

It seems every year it gets good reviews but then everyone who plays the game says it sucks. Probably because so many people are used to playing it so much that they can easily spot game-breaking issues.

Then there was this bug that necessitated a day 1 patch.

I liked the old versions of Madden that had training camp drills like pass blocking and stuff. I don't suppose they've brought that back?

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 05:38:39 PM »

After checking out the reviews, I decided to just stick with Madden 13 for another year. It's a bit frustrating, especially with the ease of throwing interceptions, but it scratches my football itch for a while yet. 25 doesn't seem worth the 1-year upgrade by any stretch.

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 05:58:34 PM »

When did Madden dramatically start sucking this much?

When it wasn't being played on a Sega Genesis.
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 06:05:18 PM »

I mainly bought it for the NFL Sunday Ticket.  The replay graphics are nice but the in game graphics looks like PS2 quality, they are blocky and blurry. The presentation is better than past Maddens but now where close to NFL 2K5. 

I'm going to probably trade it in and get the Xbox One version for $10, but I don't think they have shown off that version at all.   

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 06:55:06 PM »

Quote from: Clanwolfer on August 29, 2013, 05:38:39 PM

After checking out the reviews, I decided to just stick with Madden 13 for another year. It's a bit frustrating, especially with the ease of throwing interceptions, but it scratches my football itch for a while yet. 25 doesn't seem worth the 1-year upgrade by any stretch.

But it's +12 better.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 07:04:48 PM »

Hm, that Sunday Ticket version is tempting.

Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 09:34:43 PM »

The only reason I bought this edition was for the Sunday Ticket.

But I will say, this edition sucks.  Far too high pass completions by the AI, (as noted) far too long loading times, just feels clunky, frame rate isn't smooth, downfield blocking sucks, etc.  I really debating in my mind about trading it in.

I can't fathom how this would rate over a 90 in reviews.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 10:55:33 PM »

I read over this review a few days back which seem to explain the (many) little issues the game has:  http://kotaku.com/madden-nfl-25-the-kotaku-review-1207512756

They also gave it a 'no' buy rating which frankly is kinda surprising for a series that has gone on for like forever.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2013, 02:50:12 AM »

Yeah like I said, I got it free with Sunday Ticket.. I refuse to say I bought the game. Am I being silly. Yes. But it makes me feel better. I have a Gamestop +50% trade in coupon so I figure I will play a couple more games then trade it in and odds are I will get close to retail back on it thinking that new games trade in for like 35 to 40 for the first few weeks.

I also have NCAA 14 coming free with my SI resub, I know I am working it these days, so that can scratch the football itch going forward.

jament
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2013, 04:51:14 PM »

Reviewers consistently fail to mention Madden's game-breaking gaffes or just gloss over them. 

EA Effect?  Wasn't it widely reported a while back that EA puts specific pressure on game sites and reviewers to publish positive reviews?  I don't know how else you explain a reviewer failing to see these AI issues.  One reviewer mentioned some "strange late game AI choices."  Choosing to pass on 3rd and long with 3 seconds left in the game when you're on the opponent's 20 and down by 3 points is not a "strange choice" - it's a broken game. 

Here's the only review that matters:   Features of Madden 25
Travis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2013, 05:02:53 PM »

I visit a lot of music forums and I read the title as "When did Maiden dramatically start sucking this much?"  To which I was a bit shocked but was going to reply with "When Jannick Gers came on board."

For Madden, I actually enjoy the games for what they are.  However, they do seem to have issues with either presenting a challenge or being too challenging.  I guess I always have a hard time figuring out if I am any good.  I either do awesome and can do no wrong or everything I throw is intercepted.  I didn't have this issue with NFL 2K series.  I wish that there was that competition to keep the games strong.  It's a bit silly that a sports franchise video game has no competition.  I mean, it's sports.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2013, 06:27:52 PM »

I haven't actively played a sports video game since the Genesis/SNES era, but as a regular reader of Bill Harris's blog I've seen his year-by-year analysis of how much the Madden series keeps dropping the ball.  Even though the games aren't my cup of tea, it's been entertaining seeing the way he runs simulations and times movement speeds to almost scientifically and objectively prove that the new games suck (to paraphrase).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: