http://gamingtrend.com
August 20, 2014, 05:09:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wheelman  (Read 945 times)
Azhag
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 15, 2009, 04:59:40 PM »

Anyone have any more insights into this? Looks like it could be fun and the couple comments I've seen from people with advance review copys were positive. I haven't seen much buzz for it though.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 09:46:04 PM »

Quote from: Azhag on January 15, 2009, 04:59:40 PM

Anyone have any more insights into this? Looks like it could be fun and the couple comments I've seen from people with advance review copys were positive. I haven't seen much buzz for it though.

Just saw the reviewer from MSNBC listed it as one of his top 5 most anticipated games of the year.

With all the games that come across my desk, I don't finish many -- it takes something special for that to happen. So after beating an advance copy of "Wheelman" at will, I can confidently say it's something to look forward to this year. Made by the same studio that produced 2004's critically-acclaimed "Chronicles of Riddick," the quick-hit missions, variety of tasks and just plain driving around never fail to entertain. The vehicular combat is so fun it will make you rethink the role of automobiles in open world games.

Sounds great to me.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 10:40:27 PM »

I am looking forward to it and his new Riddick game this year.  Both will most likely make their way into my consoles.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 03:07:10 AM »

I'm not expecting this one to be that great, but if it is decent it might pique my interest since the action/driving thing is right up my alley.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 05:25:39 AM »

I'm kinda interested, but it's due right before the Godfather 2 so it'll be relegated to 'used purchase when there's not much else out' for me unless it's a real home run.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 09:28:03 PM »

i was ready to write this one off, but knowing that the same people behind CoR: EFBB makes it worth watching. 

so now feb is getting ugly with the expected releases.  first sacred 2, then this, then gf2?!  urrrrgh, this will be a fun (and expensive, i expect too) month. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 09:30:22 PM »

Quote from: Caine on January 16, 2009, 09:28:03 PM

i was ready to write this one off, but knowing that the same people behind CoR: EFBB makes it worth watching. 

FWIW, I believe that refers to Vin Diesel's company, Trigon, which is overseeing both projects but the actual development duties aren't being handled by Riddick developer Starbreeze. 
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 09:39:49 PM »

ah, got it.  i saw 'produced' and read it as 'developed' i guess.  it's a good sign that the producers are using talented developers though, and not going with a cheap movie tie in quality studio.

now, if they could just get a second movie going, all would be good. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 10:07:44 PM »

Quote from: Caine on January 16, 2009, 09:39:49 PM

ah, got it.  i saw 'produced' and read it as 'developed' i guess.  it's a good sign that the producers are using talented developers though, and not going with a cheap movie tie in quality studio.

now, if they could just get a second movie going, all would be good. 

All Tigon's done in the past is put their own logo on Starbreeze's game.  Wheelman is being developed by Midway Newcastle, who have only previously done LA Rush (PS2) and Rush (PSP).  Still, I've heard good things about the game from people who saw it in action at Midway.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 10:30:22 PM by kathode » Logged
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 11:09:37 PM »

so maybe 'talented developers' was a bit early to call, then? 

end of day, i guess i am right back to where i started then.  firmly waiting for gt impressions. 

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 05:06:21 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 16, 2009, 05:25:39 AM

I'm kinda interested, but it's due right before the Godfather 2 so it'll be relegated to 'used purchase when there's not much else out' for me unless it's a real home run.

and it's no longer due before The Godfather 2.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 05:09:48 AM »

But at least it's going to have a prerelease demo.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2009, 02:02:57 PM »

Demo is up on XBLM, in case you haven't had enough Vin Diesel from the Riddick demo.

It's actually kind of goofy fun.  The vehicle controls are pretty good, in an arcadey kind of way.  Running on foot is a little less so, but manageable (way better than Skate 2, for example).  It doesn't seem like you'll be doing much on foot anyway, as the only segment in the demo is going to find another car.

It's a decent length demo, too.  There's one chase broken up into three segments, IIRC.  Then a bonus misison.  There may be more after that, but I had to step away from the console before I takled the bonus mission, and when I came back, I'd been booted to the menu. 

As far as the driving stuff goes, it's standard trigger brake and gas.  Then you use the right stick to slam into other cars (or avoid traffic) - a little weird, but it works okay.  You use the left bumper to shoot at cars or bikes.  There's an auto-lock for that, and it seemed to do a decent job.  Then you use the d-pad for special powers like a super shot to, say, clear a roadblock out of your way in one shot, or you have the cyclone which spins you around in slo-mo to fire at guys behind you.  I assume you use the same energy you use for boost to pull these moves off.  Feedback on how much of that power you have wasn't something I ever found (though I could have missed it), so that's a problem.  Boosting seems to be a one-shot all at once kind of thing, too.  I'd prefer a continual use meter.  You can also use the right bumper to lock the camera on a car, but that was hard to pull off, and I'm not sure why you'd want to.

Graphics look pretty good.  The character models are a little weird, but you'll mostly be eyeing cars and the city of Barcelona (unless they move to another location, I guess).

Anyway, I had more fun than I expected.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 02:06:37 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2009, 08:52:57 PM »

I tried out the demo and wan't too impressed.  The game doesn't seem too bad at first glance, but it got old fast.  I've never seen a game with so much racing, smashing, shooting and crashing that just bored the crap out of me. 

As far as I can tell your car is indestructible, so I never really cared that I was getting shot and smashing into guys (in fact you pretty much have to do that all the time).  With no potential for failure other than accidentally going in the water I just ended up smashing LB to shoot bad guys and wiggling the right stick to keep smashing into them over and over and over and over again.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: