http://gamingtrend.com
December 18, 2014, 09:19:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Whats the best console game youve played  (Read 1920 times)
Razgon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« on: June 01, 2009, 01:06:37 PM »

So, now that I finally have an Xbox, I realize there's a huge backload of probably good games out there, and since I have a ps3 as well, with BC, a lot of older PS games as well.

This got me thinking - whats the best console game youve played, and why?

I'll start - MGS4! Was one of my first console games ever, and it rocked! While I know a lot of people call it a movie with small game elements, I had immense fun playing it, and could really dig Old Snake as a living breathing person! The combat was system was fun and interesting, and the AI was brilliant, as was the graphics. All in all, it hooked me all the way through as few games have before

So - whats your favorites?

A new one
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 01:11:24 PM »

NHL '09 and Rock Band

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 01:16:48 PM »

there are many,MGS4 would certainly be there,as would GTA4,and i have been really enjoying Fable 2 as well

but certainly of the last 6 months i think Fallout 3 has been the best game(although that is on PC as well)

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 01:17:50 PM »

Metal Gear Solid 3.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 01:18:41 PM »

The original Legend of Zelda, followed close behind by the SNES Zelda and Super Mario World.

Oh, and as for a reason, they're all games that are so good that I still occasionally replay start to finish even some 20 years after release.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 01:26:43 PM by wonderpug » Logged
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 01:20:15 PM »

Rock Band would have to be up there for the sheer fun factor.  Others would be FF VII (the first game that convinced me that video games could be a powerful storytelling medium), KotOR (the best overall Star Wars experience since Empire Strikes Back), Beyond Good & Evil (a masterful showcase of both story and artistry), Okami (the sheer beauty of that game was astounding), Final Fantasy Tactics (powerful, epic story + ridiculously addicting gameplay + deep job system = win), and about a million others.

Interestingly, while I can think of multiple titles from the PS1, PS2, Xbox, DS, and even PSP, Rock Band is the only 360 game that would even come close to my "best of" list.   Makes me wonder if gaming is just passing me by nowadays.  frown

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 01:47:51 PM »

same as always:

ico...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 01:58:48 PM »

3 games come to mind for me.

1.  NFL 2K5 on the Xbox.

2.  Rock Band on the 360.

3.  Gears of War 2 on the 360.

What makes all 3 stand out for me is the multiplayer aspect of each.

For NFL 2K5 it was the first real implementation of online leagues.  I still have 50-60 people on my friends list that I met while playing in NFL 2K5 online leagues over the 3 years in which I played.

For Rock Band it is the same-room multiplayer aspect of having people over the house playing for hours at a time.  The new DLC that comes out every week, and 3 different ways to play (guitar, drums, vocals) means the game never gets stale.

For Gears 2 it's all about Horde mode.  In my opinion playing Horde online with 4 friends is the best co-op experience ever made.  We still play at least once a week.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
KC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 02:13:58 PM »

KOTOR and FF12
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 02:21:53 PM »

Super Mario 64 was huge for me.

Resident Evil 4 (I don't think it's the best game of all time, but for me I enjoyed the hell out of it and have beaten the game on 3 different game systems so I had a lot of fun with it).

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009, 02:32:38 PM »

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2009, 02:38:52 PM »

Based upon not only number of hours played, but also the excitement I got when playing and the anticipation I would have waiting to get off work so I could get back to them. In no particular order, these are my top console games:

- GTA San Andreas on the PS2. The reason I got a PS2, since I didn't want to wait months till it came out for the PC. When I might start to get frustrated or bored I did some mini-games or just drove around. Even late in the game there were still missions that I found interesting, if at times frustrating. Later I discovered it again on the PC. Being able to program my own music made it a great game in which you could just cruise to the tunes.

- Test Drive Unlimited. The reason I got a 360. Open world racing, driving around sightseeing, in-car dashboard views, decent multiplayer, and fun side missions. I'll always remember the challenge of Tantalus, struggling over and over to beat that time while dodging buses and cops  icon_biggrin. And the Around The Island challenge. Almost an hour, no in-race saves, just pauses while I let the blood back into my fingers. Amazingly I won it on my first try, by seven seconds. I was high for an hour after that.

- GTA IV. I was initially disappointed at the "muddled" graphics and the car handling. Then I grew to appreciate why cars handled they way they did, and learned to love the graphics. Fewer interesting side missions and mini-games, but the design of the city, all the little details, and the vast size of it all made it fun all the way through.

- Bioshock. This one almost didn't make my list of "bests" only because I was dissatisfied with the design of the endgame. However, from the very start it was one of those "I'll play just a few minutes more" kind of game. Incredible visuals, an interesting story, and lots of plot twists.

- Saints Row 2. When this game first came out I was intrigued for a while, but it was in the middle of Fallout 3, Far Cry 2 and CoDWaW, so I shelved it. When the DLC came out I played it again and when the second DLC was released last week I started Thursday and played it all this weekend through the final mission not only of the DLC but of the main campaigns. Great story, more over the top than GTAIV, but more interesting IMHO. Great stunt missions, better than those in GTAIV. The cars and driving are more fun, the flying is more fun... but as a city Stillwater just doesn't seem to have that appeal I find in Liberty City. Yet I find myself drawn back to playing the side missions and mini-games of SR2, but have no interest in going back to GTAIV until more DLC is released.

For honorable mention I'll throw in COD4 and CODWaW; I never really did warm up to the single player mode in either, but the multiplayer is great.

I'll also mention Forza Motorsports 2 as a very good racing game. It would be on my top five list if a) there was an in-car dash view, and b) there were more tracks and ones that were more interesting as well.

"The function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectable" - John Kenneth Galbraith
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2009, 02:40:04 PM »

damn, there are so many, but for the best I'd have to say Jade Empire, otherwise I wouldn't have played it a half dozen times, once with back to back playthroughs!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2009, 03:20:17 PM »

Being primarily a PC Gamer in the past i've played fewer console games than many here and none before xbox and 360, but i've done at least 25 or so now...

My top 5 what i've played so far would be

Saints Row 2

Mercenaries 2

Call of Duty 4

Forza 2

Black (playing now on Xbox360 originals download)
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2009, 03:38:17 PM »

I hate having to break down 'best' without any attention to genres.

FPS: Half Life 2
3rd Person Action: Ratchet and Clank series. Or God of War.
RPG: Knights of the Old Republic???
Strategy: ... not sure ... Final Fantasy Tactics, maybe?
Sports: ... not sure ... nothing that I've played on a console has felt like it deserves the title of being called 'great'
Music: Rock Band 2
Racing: Dirt
Unique: Katamari Damacy

Sure I'm missing genres. I'd be very interested in seeing people's versions of this format.

Also, I'd be wondering if anyone can recommend me a strategy game as deeply engrossing as Heroes of Might and Magic 3 was on the PC. Or an RPG as in depth as Baldur's Gate 2 was.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 03:42:11 PM by DragonFyre » Logged
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2009, 03:45:53 PM »

Seems like this question applies to current-gen consoles.

Mine is Rainbow 6 Vegas, mostly for the multiplayer.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2009, 03:50:40 PM »

Zelda : OoT and Mario 64 are both very very high on my list.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2009, 04:37:35 PM »

Since Razgon is talking BC on the 360 and PS3 I'll leave my choices to the PS, PS2 and Xbox. I'll throw in the GC and Wii since it's also a current gen system and skip the N64 and SNES even though many titles are avaiable via the VC. Otherwise I wouldn't have a chance with the huge number of AAA titles that are out there.

If I had to bring it down to 1 title on those systems, it would be Resident Evil 4 for either the Wii or GC. I haven't played the PS2 version, but I've heard it's equally excellent.

The following games would be close behind it.

Halo
SMT: Persona 3
KotOR
Super Mario Galaxy
LoZ: Twilight Princess
Metroid Prime
Half Life 2
Resident Evil (GC)
FF XII
FF VII
NHL 09
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 04:42:21 PM by kronovan » Logged
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2009, 04:43:35 PM »

Mass Effect.

Overall, I liked it better than Fallout 3, even. It wasn't perfect but it managed to grab me and hold on.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2009, 04:44:34 PM »

Quote from: DragonFyre on June 01, 2009, 03:38:17 PM

Also, I'd be wondering if anyone can recommend me a strategy game as deeply engrossing as Heroes of Might and Magic 3 was on the PC. Or an RPG as in depth as Baldur's Gate 2 was.

By that, did you mean an RPG at least as in depth as BG2?  Check the "it's gone gold" thread on Sacred 2 if you've somehow missed that game...  icon_eek

Best ever - NES Legend of Zelda

Best current (or recent) gen game - I want to type in Morrowind so much, argh, but it is a very buggy game.  That didn't keep me from playing it over and over and over, even again recently.

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2009, 04:52:04 PM »

Well at first thought it would have been an RPG, but I kept coming back to how good MGS4 was.

I can't think of a single thing I did not like about MGS4. Very high quality game.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2009, 05:07:38 PM »

Quote from: mytocles on June 01, 2009, 04:44:34 PM

By that, did you mean an RPG at least as in depth as BG2?  Check the "it's gone gold" thread on Sacred 2 if you've somehow missed that game...  icon_eek

Depends on what you mean by "depth".  If you mean an ungodly amount of loot-whoring, then Sacred 2 would definitely apply.  If you mean epic story, incredible writing, memorable characters, and challenging combat, then Sacred 2 definitely would not apply.  Frankly, I can't think of a console game that really compares to the epic-ness that is Baldur's Gate.  FF XII comes close in terms of story, but is such a different style of game that it's hard to compare.

For a game as "engrossing as HOMM 3", look no further than Final Fantasy Tactics:  War of the Lions on PSP.  It is, simply put, tactical strategy gaming perfected.  And this is coming from someone who would list HOMM in my personal top 5.

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2009, 05:19:33 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on June 01, 2009, 05:07:38 PM

Quote from: mytocles on June 01, 2009, 04:44:34 PM

Depends on what you mean by "depth".  If you mean an ungodly amount of loot-whoring, then Sacred 2 would definitely apply.  If you mean epic story, incredible writing, memorable characters, and challenging combat, then Sacred 2 definitely would not apply.  Frankly, I can't think of a console game that really compares to the epic-ness that is Baldur's Gate.  FF XII comes close in terms of story, but is such a different style of game that it's hard to compare.

For a game as "engrossing as HOMM 3", look no further than Final Fantasy Tactics:  War of the Lions on PSP.  It is, simply put, tactical strategy gaming perfected.  And this is coming from someone who would list HOMM in my personal top 5.

I always forget how important the main story is to many RPG players... For me, I appreciate it when it's there (agreed on FFXII), but I'm more into gameplay, character development, and addiction factor.  As for challenge - maybe I'm trying to explore too far, too fast (or maybe I just suck, lol) - but I find the second level of difficulty to be plenty challenging.  I do know that a few folks thought it was too easy, but they played through that level to get to the third level.  That seems to imply they liked it well enough to do so.

icon_razz

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2009, 05:45:41 PM »

Disgaea with a bullet.  Funny, fun, and uncut electronic crack for power-levelling.

The runner-ups:
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (almost picked this at #1)
Ico for artistic achievement
SMT: DDS1 & 2 for gameplay
Tecmo Bowl - the greatest video football game ever made.  Just keep hitting "A" with Bo Jackson. smile
Super Metroid - best sequel ever.
Xenogears - Gratch, you wanted epic rpg to compare to BG2?

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
stimpy

I'm makin a move!!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2009, 06:54:52 PM »

The first game to really draw me into its clutches was a game for Sega Genesis named "The Immortal".
That game had me and a friend baffled for weeks. Every morning we would meet up at school to discuss our progress and strategies.

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2009, 07:02:23 PM »

I playeed a game called The Immortal, on the Amiga or the C64 I think...was pretty damn good as well, as far as I remember.

found it: http://www.lemonamiga.com/?mainurl=http%3A//www.lemonamiga.com/games/details.php%3Fid%3D555

Also, I really didnt know KOTOR was on Xbox as well? Thats my next project!!

A new one
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2009, 07:35:38 PM »

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City[PS2]
Final Fantasy X [PS2]
Metal Gear Solid 3[PS2] - Note I also loved the online mode. I wish it was still active, so many hours put into it!

NHL 09 [PS3]

Guitar Hero/Rockband/World Tour.
Super Mario
Mario Kart 64

Probably a lot more, but those are just the few that come to mind.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
warning

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2009, 09:26:40 PM »

Probably Dragon Quest VIII or Final Fantasy XII.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2009, 09:44:17 PM »

Quote from: Big Jake on June 01, 2009, 05:45:41 PM

Xenogears - Gratch, you wanted epic rpg to compare to BG2?

Good call.  Vastly different style, but pretty similar in scope.  I really need to play that one again...

stimpy

I'm makin a move!!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2009, 09:45:51 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on June 01, 2009, 07:02:23 PM

I playeed a game called The Immortal, on the Amiga or the C64 I think...was pretty damn good as well, as far as I remember.

found it: http://www.lemonamiga.com/?mainurl=http%3A//www.lemonamiga.com/games/details.php%3Fid%3D555

Also, I really didnt know KOTOR was on Xbox as well? Thats my next project!!

Thats it!! Man, there were alot of ways to die in that game.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2009, 10:23:52 PM »

Starflight on the Sega Genesis. I rented this over and over and over and over. I could never play it enough. The customizable starship + plot + exploration + alien races + finding long lost places = brilliant!

A close 2nd would be Buck Rogers on Genesis. Or maybe M1 Abrams on Genesis.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
brettmcd

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2009, 10:50:01 PM »

Mine would have to be the first Ratchet and Clank game, its the only game ive ever made a point of getting every sequal to.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2009, 01:47:31 AM »

I'm probably forgetting something great, but here are the ones that I can think of off the top of my head:

Tecmo Bowl - NES

Madden '93 - Genesis

Uncharted - PS3 (beautifully drawn, fun, adventurous, great acting and a superb story)

Rock Band 1 and 2. 360 - just insanely fun and addictive. One of the greatest games ever made on any platform, IMO.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2009, 06:00:33 AM »

I'm surprised by how much I'm enjoying Rise of the Argonauts. Jason is the first character I've played in a long time that truly felt regal. It may end up being one of my favorite games of all time, despite the numerous issues I could list with the game itself.

Until then:

Persona 3 or Shadow Hearts: Covenant
Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2009, 06:54:24 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on June 01, 2009, 10:23:52 PM

Starflight on the Sega Genesis. I rented this over and over and over and over. I could never play it enough. The customizable starship + plot + exploration + alien races + finding long lost places = brilliant!

A close 2nd would be Buck Rogers on Genesis. Or maybe M1 Abrams on Genesis.

Bless you, Daehawk. That's my favorite game of all time. But I played the PC version. SF 1&2 still easily rank #1 on my list of games on any platform.

As for my favorite console game, the original Virtua Tennis on the Dreamcast sticks out in my mind.
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2009, 07:02:17 AM »

It's so hard to pick one, there's so many.

Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World, Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles, Super Mario 64, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy VII, Resident Evil 2, Mafia (PC), Max Payne (PC) and many more.

One game that probably no one here would mention, and might not be one of the BEST games I've ever played, it did consume a good portion of my life: WWF: No Mercy (N64).
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 07:04:14 AM by ravenvii » Logged
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2009, 01:07:55 PM »

I have two.

Classic:  Track & Field for the Nintendo.  What was I... around 12 years old when this released?  Those 100 yd. dashes against my brother over and over and over again will forever be etched in my brain.

Modern:  Rock Band 2.  I simply can not get over how much fun this game is, especially when playing with a few other people.   

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2009, 01:45:23 PM »

Oblivion (360) for single player, but for multiplayer, I would say Call of Duty 4 (360).

For old school gaming, probably X-Com on the original Playstation.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2009, 02:44:45 PM »

Quote from: jblank on June 15, 2009, 01:45:23 PM

For old school gaming, probably X-Com on the original Playstation.

They need to make an HD-updated XBLA version of this.  drool
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: