http://gamingtrend.com
August 27, 2014, 11:18:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: whats PS3's online service like  (Read 1266 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 11, 2006, 09:32:52 AM »

i know there isnt a lot of PS3s out in the world yet,but how does the online service operate like?,is it a blatant copy of xbox LIVE like some people said it was gonna be...friends list,marketplace...do they include these?..or did they just make it like ps2 net play?

please tell

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 12:45:13 PM »

It's very much like Xbox Live. It has a store, friends lists etc....

That said, it's not as good as Xbox Live right now. You can't access your friends list in game, unless it is coded into the game, but you can see when they login as a info box pops up on your screen while playing a game just like on Live to let you know. You also can't download things in the background, which to be fair, Xbox Live took awhile to let you do as well. You can see what others on your friends list are playing, just like Live. Of course, the big advantage it has is that it is all free and that is a big advantage.  icon_smile

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 03:21:40 PM »

thanks for the info

if it is that good(with it still only being a few weeks old)...i think microsoft ought to adjust the pricing of LIVE,although i am quite happy paying the 40 a year(same price as new game)...i still think LIVE may suffer some if sony's netplay is free

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 03:57:32 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on December 11, 2006, 12:45:13 PM

It's very much like Xbox Live. It has a store, friends lists etc....

That said, it's not as good as Xbox Live right now. You can't access your friends list in game, unless it is coded into the game, but you can see when they login as a info box pops up on your screen while playing a game just like on Live to let you know. You also can't download things in the background, which to be fair, Xbox Live took awhile to let you do as well. You can see what others on your friends list are playing, just like Live. Of course, the big advantage it has is that it is all free and that is a big advantage.  icon_smile

I'd say it is absolutely nothing like Live.  Live is a polished system, and the PS3 version is a clunky mess.  As stated above, you can't access your friends list without backing out of the game (and forget about adding them via the website, like Xbox.com.  I'm looking at you too Wii!  Those numbers are assenine, at least let me copy/paste them into a website!), you can't download in the background,  and other than seeing them offline or online, there is little data about your friends available oter than what they are playing.  As for it being free, I'd gladly pay 50 bucks a month for a polished service than get a half-assed one for free.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
warning

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 03:58:22 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on December 11, 2006, 03:21:40 PM

i still think LIVE may suffer some if sony's netplay is free

I hope so.  The whole idea of paying to play online is just so mid-90's to me.  I hope Sony's competition is worthwhile and that Microsoft drops the annual fee for online play.
faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2006, 04:00:06 PM »

Does it support Voice chat like Live does?

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2006, 05:23:10 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on December 11, 2006, 03:57:32 PM

As for it being free, I'd gladly pay 50 bucks a month for a polished service than get a half-assed one for free.

For the love of Gord I hope you mean per year instead of per month.  icon_biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2006, 07:27:17 PM »

Quote from: faide on December 11, 2006, 04:00:06 PM

Does it support Voice chat like Live does?

Yes, it does. In fact, it supports chat rooms for friends, which Xbox Live doesn't. Is it as easy to use as Live? No, but it really isn't THAT bad.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2006, 07:34:54 PM »

Well for one, they can patch in such functionality like checking friends lists and messages in game.

That'll pretty much put it on par with Xbox live.  And frankly, one functionality missing doesn't make the PS3 online crap to me, especially when it's costing me nothing.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2006, 07:45:00 PM »

Oh I'm not saying it is crap by any means.  I'm more saying that it just feels 'thrown together'.  They need to make it a little easier to use, and support some 'well duh!' features and we'll be good to go.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2006, 08:00:58 PM »

I honestly don't understand why they don't just copy the Achievements concept wholesale.  I think that Achievements are absolutely brilliant, and I know I'll miss them when I finally do get a PS3 if they don't implement something similar.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2006, 08:22:19 PM »

Quote from: kathode on December 11, 2006, 08:00:58 PM

I honestly don't understand why they don't just copy the Achievements concept wholesale.  I think that Achievements are absolutely brilliant, and I know I'll miss them when I finally do get a PS3 if they don't implement something similar.

I agree.  to completionists, it's a major draw surprisingly
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2006, 08:53:50 PM »

I am by no means a completionist, but I do get a little Pavlovian thrill whenver I see the 'Achievement unlocked' message pop-up. drool  The only thing Live is really missing is chat rooms.  For $50 a year it's a f'in steal for the quality and quantity of features provided.  Of course I wouldn't argue with free, either.

Sony has a lot of catch up to do with their online package.  They were still patching the elements together just a couple months prior.  That and while Sony technically had online with PS2, MS had a whole generation headstart relative to the cohesive infrastructure of Live.  Next year around this time hopefully Sony will have made some big strides towards matching the Live experience.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2006, 03:11:06 AM »

Quote from: KePoW on December 11, 2006, 08:22:19 PM

The problem is that with the 360 this was a system-wide decision made well before launch.  Sony could patch similar functionality into their system for future game releases but when there aren't standards on points or it isn't a mandatory inclusion in every game it loses some of it's draw.  I don't want this to turn into an anti-Sony post or anything, but I do have to give Microsoft props for some well though-out and implemented elements in the overall package.  Surprising, really. 

What sort of headset do you guys use with your PS3?  I haven't seen any advertised or shown (Sony branded or otherwise), and I found that pretty odd. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2006, 03:39:12 AM »

I never thought I would say this but the achievements do keep me playing games that I otherwise would probably give up on (I'm looking at you SC:Double Agent).  There is something about that game completion achievement being tied to your gameertag forever that makes me keep going.  There have been a few occasions when I was going to trade SC:DA in but I figured if I have gotten this far I mine as well get the completion.  I don't really go out of my way to get every achievement. But it's nice have a permanent record of games that I have completed over the years.  It's kind of like having that "ding" mentality of WoW and EQ in every game.

If someone doesn't have any desire to play online, then you still get alot for free with Live Silver.  If they are very much into playing online then the benefits of Gold are worth the $4 a month in my opinion.  I am still wary of online multiplayer on the PS3 given how open the archatecture is.  I think it is only a matter of time before the cheaters find a way.  And if you don't think they will, you have never played SOCOM on the PS2  paranoid
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 03:41:45 AM by denoginizer » Logged

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2006, 04:07:58 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on December 12, 2006, 03:11:06 AM

Quote from: KePoW on December 11, 2006, 08:22:19 PM

The problem is that with the 360 this was a system-wide decision made well before launch.  Sony could patch similar functionality into their system for future game releases but when there aren't standards on points or it isn't a mandatory inclusion in every game it loses some of it's draw.  I don't want this to turn into an anti-Sony post or anything, but I do have to give Microsoft props for some well though-out and implemented elements in the overall package.  Surprising, really. 

What sort of headset do you guys use with your PS3?  I haven't seen any advertised or shown (Sony branded or otherwise), and I found that pretty odd. 

It works with any Bluetooth headset. I don't use one...but that is what I have heard.

Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2006, 02:24:36 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on December 12, 2006, 03:39:12 AM

I never thought I would say this but the achievements do keep me playing games that I otherwise would probably give up on...There is something about that game completion achievement being tied to your gameertag forever that makes me keep going...I don't really go out of my way to get every achievement. But it's nice have a permanent record of games that I have completed over the years.

I could not have said it better.  Achievements & videogaming go hand in hand.  To me achievements are the biggest thing to happen to videogaming in quite some time.  I wish there was something similar on the Wii.  Plus, I like how in Live you can know what others are playing at any given time.  Case in point.  DonDesio was playing an NHL 2007 game and I kept checking up on the status of his game (he is an Islander fan like me so I had a vested interest in the outcome) in the friends list.  It was like watching the sports ticker on the bottom of the screen on ESPN! 

Quote from: denoginizer on December 12, 2006, 03:39:12 AM

If someone doesn't have any desire to play online, then you still get a lot for free with Live Silver.

Absolutely.  It is why I'm even considering dropping to Live Silver in January when my renewal comes up.  I have not played one multiplayer game in 2006.  I can at least apply that $50 to a new game.  Although, $50 for the year is a steal and absolutely worth it if you play a lot of multiplayer.

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: