http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 12:37:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Xbox games are you looking forward to in 2004/2005?  (Read 2522 times)
DiamondDecision
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: June 27, 2004, 06:47:38 PM »

Here is my list:

Mandatory
---------
- Halo 2 (12/2004)
- Half-Life 2 (Early 2005?)

Possible
---------
- PSI-OPS: The Mindgate Conspiracy (5/2004)
- Combat Elite (June 2004)
- Spider-Man 2 (6/2004)
- Mercenaries (Fall 2004)
- The Lord Of The Rings: The Third Age (Fall 2004)
- Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone (Fall 2004)
- Fable (September 2004)
- X-Men Legends (Fall 2004)
- Snowblind (Fall 2004)
- Battlefield: Modern Combat (Fall 2004)
- Ghost Recon 2 (Fall 2004)
- Advent Rising (Fall 2004)
- Jade Empire (Fall 2004)
- Star Wars: Battlefront (Fall 2004)
- Star Wars: Republic Commando (Fall 2004)
- Area 51 (2004)
- Starcraft Ghosts (Fall 2004)
- Citizen Zero (Winter 2004) - MMORPG
- Far Cry (2004)
- Call Of Duty (2004)
- Kotor2 (2004?)
- Black (2005)
- Vanguard (2005?) - MMORPG
Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2004, 07:59:44 PM »

Hmmm, just Halo 2, I guess. I'm really not looking foward to Fable anymore, though, I'll still have my eye on it.

I'm looking forward to DOOM III and Half-Life 2 on the PC, even if I have to upgrade. Even if the games aren't great I'll still have user mods to look forward to.
EngineNo9
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2004, 08:59:36 PM »

Um, Halo 2, Colin McRae Rally 05, Fable, LOTR: Third Age...maybe others.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
DiamondDecision
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2004, 09:09:06 PM »

Quote from: "Belgedin"
I'm really not looking foward to Fable anymore, though, I'll still have my eye on it.

I feel the same way about Fable.  Do you have anything specific on your mind?

I really haven't heard that much about the story and I *love* RPGs.  I'm concerned about how much is being made about how the characters changes based on their actions.  While that's cool, that doesn't make for a game.
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2004, 09:27:37 PM »

The XBox game that I am most excited for is Burnout 3: Takedown. There are a few others I am interested in, but that's the one I will be definitely buying the day it comes out.
ingrin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2004, 10:01:25 PM »

In order of Anticipation, roughly:
Fable
B.C.
Jade Empire
Galleon
Mech Assault II
KOTOR 2
Star Wars: Battlefront
Sudeki
Mech Assault II
Halo 2
Iron Pheonix
Star Wars: Republic Commando
Destroy all Humans
Conker
Kameo
Psychonauts (in limbo)
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
Advent Rising

Also "The Movies", but I intend to get the PC version.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2004, 10:11:10 PM »

I'm with you on Burnout 3, I really enjoyed the previous ones and I'm hoping that having EA as a publisher doesn't wreck the whole damned thing, Lord knows they have shit on my dreams before. *cough Ultima cough*

In the more immediate, Spider-Man 2 is by all accounts knocks the socks off, and based off what little bit I've seen that is absolutely true.  Tim's review is embargoed until Wednesday, so expect it the second the clock strikes 12:00.  smile

I'd have to say that I'm looking forward to Fable still, it looks unique enough to make me interested to play it at least twice, once on each side of the neutral.  

On the RPG and Adventure side of things, I'm really looking forward to Star Ocean: Till the End of Time,  KOTOR2, Syberia II (the wife really enjoyed the first one), and Advent Rising just covering the next few months.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
ingrin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2004, 10:24:18 PM »

Whoops, left SM2 off my list.  If what I hear can be believed, this may be a dream come true for me.  The first time I can recall fantasizing about an SM Videogame was on the atari 2600, and while it was OK, it failed to live up to my anticipation.  None have so far...
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2004, 10:53:18 PM »

I really don't have a long list of games I am following.

In order of anticipation:

THUG 2 (is it even announced?  It takes over my life)
NCAA 2005 (my first NCAA on Xbox, now with Live)
Conker (just bought it ($5 new!) for N64 - too bad it's in storage)
Halo 2 (don't even own the first, but like what I've seen)
KOTOR 2 (even more KOTOR)
Jade Empire (if nothing else I really want to play the mini games)
Midway Arcade Treasures 2 (more more more)

I've already put my $ down on Spider Man 2.

I wish I could say I am only going to buy 8 games the rest of the year but I know I will probably end up with quite a few more off the lists here.  Still have quite a few titles that are already out I want to buy.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2004, 11:35:47 PM »

Quote from: "Simon"
The XBox game that I am most excited for is Burnout 3: Takedown. There are a few others I am interested in, but that's the one I will be definitely buying the day it comes out.

Ah, how could I forget that one?  It's definitely at the TOP of my list!

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2004, 11:47:45 PM »

I feel the same way about Fable. Do you have anything specific on your mind?

I don't know, when it was first announced and the first videos and stuff were shown I thought, "Wow, that looks like an epic adventure." Now, though, it seems so stripped down, atleast what I've seen and heard so far does;  this includes the character development you mentioned; I was never terribly excited about it, but it sounded interesting enough.

I think the problem was this: the game promised the world, now it is only going to deliver Istanbul (or something) slywink Basically, it shot too high and promised too much too early in development, now it is just gonna give us another D&D RPG it seems.

Oh yeah, and I still have my eye on Kameo, it looks fairly clever.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2004, 11:54:27 PM »

Quote from: "ingrin"
Whoops, left SM2 off my list.  If what I hear can be believed, this may be a dream come true for me.  The first time I can recall fantasizing about an SM Videogame was on the atari 2600, and while it was OK, it failed to live up to my anticipation.  None have so far...

Trust me - the game really is as good as everybody makes it out to be. Check out my Preview for a few details, and expect a full review (as stated above) early Wednesday morning.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
DiamondDecision
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2004, 12:49:20 AM »

You have REALLY got my interest up about Spider-Man2.  Really that good?  Wow!  I can't wait for the review.

Who woulda thunk it?  A game based off of a movie that's great?  That's almost ALWAYS the kiss of death.  Huh.

Quote from: "Destructor"
Quote from: "ingrin"

Trust me - the game really is as good as everybody makes it out to be. Check out my Preview for a few details, and expect a full review (as stated above) early Wednesday morning.
DiamondDecision
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2004, 12:51:34 AM »

I really have to agree with all your comments.  The game (I guess, really the publisher) hasn't done much to capture my imagination with this game.  

We'll see.  I'd love to see the game knock my socks off.  A good RPG is to die for.

I just finished KOTOR today.  WOW!  How well done once again by Bioware!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote from: "Belgedin"
I don't know, when it was first announced and the first videos and stuff were shown I thought, "Wow, that looks like an epic adventure." Now, though, it seems so stripped down, atleast what I've seen and heard so far does;  this includes the character development you mentioned; I was never terribly excited about it, but it sounded interesting enough.

I think the problem was this: the game promised the world, now it is only going to deliver Istanbul (or something) slywink Basically, it shot too high and promised too much too early in development, now it is just gonna give us another D&D RPG it seems.

Oh yeah, and I still have my eye on Kameo, it looks fairly clever.
ingrin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2004, 02:21:47 AM »

Quote from: "DiamondDecision"
I really have to agree with all your comments.  The game (I guess, really the publisher) hasn't done much to capture my imagination with this game.  

We'll see.  I'd love to see the game knock my socks off.  A good RPG is to die for.

I just finished KOTOR today.  WOW!  How well done once again by Bioware!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The problem with Fable is that in the beginning it was suggested that you could plant a tree (drop an acorn) anywhere and over time, both you and it would age.  The AI for all the townspeople would behave such that if you killed a farmer, his son might grow up and try to hunt you down, or maybe not...
You get the picture, it was a bunch of overly ambitious statements that worked Big Blue Box and Peter Molyneux (Head honcho of BBB's Parent company Lionhead/ Gaming God/ and general Blowhard).  I love all the wok Peter does, but he needs to undersell his games in the beginning, because he invariably promises too much.
Now, what do they have?
From what I understand:
1) a fully realized economy.  You can actually follow people delivering shipments from the docks to the stores.
2) AI that reacts to your reputation.
3) own a home(s) and shop(s)
4) the ability to get married, commit poligamy,  Have a wife who buys items for your house, have children, have her leave you...(and quite possibly its not limited to you being the opposite sex... well, I suspect the have kids part is)
5) a stat system similar to Morrowind, where skills you use increase in power.  However, you also generic XP that you can utilize to strengthen skills you don't normally use.
6) I strong primary narrative. (Think KOTOR)
7) openended gameplay with a variety of sidequests. (Think Morrowind)
Cool a character whose appearance changes based on what kind of activity he engages in as well as the alignment of the character.
9) A reputation system as well as the ability to boast before a quest (I'm going to do this within a certain time limit or with my bare hands, etc...) that will add to your reputation.
10) The ability to continue played the game after you have completed the main quest. (Think Morrowind)
11) a large world that is fairly explorable, but not as much as Morrowind was. (between KOTOR and Morrowind.)
Anyway, I'm still excited, but then I have been managing my expectations...
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2004, 01:31:56 PM »

Too many to list!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
hogie7
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2004, 07:40:01 PM »

Wow, I'm surprised Halo 2 isn't on higher up (or first) on a lot of the lists. It's by far the #1 choice on mine. It's amazing how well the first Halo still holds up, and I still play it regularly (multiplayer and campaign).

There hasn't been too much on the horizon that I'm really excited about. Jade Empire looks interesting, and should be good as I enjoyed KOTOR a lot. Not so sure about KOTOR 2. I really don't know about FABLE....I won't rush out to get it, and I'll wait on the sidelines to see what others think first.  Half-Life 2 and Doom III are other big question marks.

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2004, 11:43:57 AM »

Halo 2 tied with Brother in Arms (my GOTS in LA)
Burnout 3
ESPN Football 2K5
Fable
BC
Conkers
X-Men Legends
Rome Total War
Battlefield: Modern Combat

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: