http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 08:30:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What would make you play a MMORPG?  (Read 1472 times)
Huw the Poo
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Please feed dog

View Profile
« on: January 06, 2011, 10:20:26 AM »

I'm slowly starting to accept the fact that, although I love the idea of MMORPGs, I can't really play them due to various issues, like not having enough playtime and what time I do have not being reliable.  Also, with two young children in the house, I need to be available to sort out issues at a moment's notice so if I got heavily into a MMORPG I'd forever be bailing on my group or guild to deal with real-life stuff.  I'm afraid that my lifestyle, at least for now, just doesn't allow for properly getting into MMORPGs.

When the children are older I'm sure I'll be able to play MMORPGs properly and I look forward to the day.  I was curious about how many of you are in the same kind of boat as me.  Why don't you play MMORPGs?  Kids, scheduling, just plain don't like the genre?  And what would have to change for you to play them?

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 11:53:37 AM »

Well I play WoW. So I'll answer with what would make me STOP playing WoW and move to another, outside the obvious fact I've been playing with most people in the guild since day 1.

PvE

Questing needs to be changed or approach the concepts differently. Just going out and killing shit gets old quite fast.Why not instead you're suddenly part of a giant attack force or defense force. obviously, this won't work for every quest all the time. WoW does this often in the recent expansion, but the engine isn't built for it. There's like no physics to your movement doing mount stuff. Case in point, the mounted bird jousting quest line. It was extremely clunky.

I want skill based back. I hate the idea that your character is only as good as your gear. I want ME, the player myself, to matter more. In Asheron's call you had the ability to physically dodge spells in the game and made for some interesting pvp. Put in some combos for blocking and dodging or something of the sort. Maybe not the best for Pve, but god damnit would it make for much funner boss fights.

Speaking of, boss fights. Stop with the tank spank concept. Make something more interesting than adds. As a small idea of what I mean. How about some boss begins to channel 4 beams. The beams shoot out in a particular order. Now you must move to disrupt those beams in that order else the boss gets a buff. It's a simon says mmo style. WoW has gotten much better at this, thank god. But this concept seriously needs to die off.

PvP

skill based skill based skill based skill based skill based skill based skill based skill based skill based skill based skill based skill based skill based skill based skill based skill based skill based skill based skill based skill based skill based skill based skill based skill based skill based skill based skill based skill based skill based skill based skill based skill based skill based skill based skill based skill based skill based skill based skill based skill based skill based skill based skill based skill based skill based skill based skill based skill based skill based skill based skill based skill based skill based skill based skill based skill based skill based skill based skill based skill based skill based

World pvp needs to matter. Do away with battlegrounds. The worst thing Warhammer did was put in BGs as well. Naturally, everyone just gravitated towards them as it was much faster to rank up. Thus world pvp was basically dead. Another thing, there HAS to be a reason to do world pvp and capture stuff. Access to special loot, special quests with nice rewards, special zones that have something like 1.20% the drop rate or something alone that lines. The players need to feel like they WANT them.

fears, stuns or anything else that takes the player out of control needs to die. They're not fun, never were, never will be. Snares and roots only.

Gear should never, ever determine the outcome. No one should ever be beaten because they had weapon of shit while the other guy had weapon of fuck your faceLOLZ. Sure, gear should boost you up but not to the extent where you can just face roll.

paper, rock, scissors. Bye, bye!

If you're game is going to include both Pve and PVP there NEEDS to be seperate rulesets. NEEDS. Nerfs due to one or the other are lame as shit. This fixes basically any and all balancing problems right away.

So that's it. MMOs clearly have gone a long way. But there's lots and lots of issues in varying degrees on concepts from 10+ years ago that are extremely dated. It's 2011 now. Think of changing things, eh?

Oh, don't make an MMO unless you can actually launch this in an extremely polished. I don't give a shit about you crying, "but an mmo is never fnished". No it isn't, because then the carrot stick would vanish in a few months. But having game breaking bugs, half asses content, broken servers, and whatever else CAN be polished. Not even blizzard did this.
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 11:59:14 AM »

I've thought about it a bit, and there's quite a lot that makes this genre hard for me to enjoy (amount of free time especially, tedium, time sinks and repetitive tasks come second), but if I had to pick one thing, it would be the social interaction.

Interaction with other players, good communication, helping others out... A lack of these crucial factors have always been the reason for me to quit a MMORPG.

If I could log on a server with likeminded individuals (who can type, are polite, and always ready to help a fellow in need), I would resub in a minute.

To quote myself from a different thread a while ago (http://www.gamingtrend.com/forums/index.php?topic=29764.msg687576#msg687576):

So, for me it's simple: make grouping INFINITELY easy to do, and reward it heavily. How? Keep it 'gamey'. Show which people are doing the quests you want to do, and make joining them as simple as clicking a button which instantly zaps you towards them. And make it so that people are encouraged to help others, by giving them some loot and experience as well, even if you don't have the quest. Often I'd post on LFG that I was ready for hire (read: for free), so if anyone needed help they could PM me. I almost never got a reaction.
Also, organise your quests so that anyone can jump in at any time, and that downtime is reduced to a minimum.

Basically, treat your quests and grouping options the same as a multiplayer lobby.

In short,the SOCIAL aspect of MMO's keeps me from playing them. Ironically enough.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 12:01:27 PM by The Rocketman » Logged
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 02:00:20 PM »

And what would have to change for you to play them?

Games that match my interests more.

Drag Racing, Mixed Martial Arts, Giant Mechs or Monsters are some examples.

I already play football with goallineblitz.com, wrestling with thewrestlinggame.com, and rugby with blackoutrugby.com. Just last night I tried out Gladiators at mygladiators.com

I like the "get to it when I can and it doesnt matter much" nature of them.

MotorCity Online sounded like it fit me to a T, but I came to late to the party to try it out.

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 02:23:35 PM »

I'm the exact opposite of Rocketman.  The ability to play solo is the one single factor that will get me to play an MMO.  The less interaction I have to have with other people, the better.  I was able to get into MMO's like Guild Wars and LOTRO because I could spend a significant amount of time in these games without ever being forced to group with other people.   The moment the game becomes too difficult to solo or forces me into groups (i.e. to finish quests) is typically about the time I stop playing.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 02:31:14 PM »

I don't get it; you can't play MMOs because you don't have time?  Most modern MMOs let you play casually.  You can even make progress with as little as half an hour spent.  If you're going to compete to be the first highest level on the server then yeah, it does take a huge time commitment.  But I dropped that attitude a long time ago since EQ1.  Just can't do it anymore.  I was even able to be competitive at PvP in a game like WAR because of the tiered system.  Partly why I don't like non tiered system is because people who have more play time get the advantage.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 02:32:56 PM »

Quote from: skystride on January 06, 2011, 02:31:14 PM

I don't get it; you can't play MMOs because you don't have time?  Most modern MMOs let you play casually.  You can even make progress with as little as half an hour spent.  

With two kids in the house yes, its not very feasable to play MMO's without having to leave at inopportune times all the times, which would get annoying after a while. I'm guessing thats the major issue with MMOs - you cant pause.

A new one
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 02:36:05 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on January 06, 2011, 02:32:56 PM

I don't get it; you can't play MMOs because you don't have time?  Most modern MMOs let you play casually.  You can even make progress with as little as half an hour spent.  

With two kids in the house yes, its not very feasable to play MMO's without having to leave at inopportune times all the times, which would get annoying after a while. I'm guessing thats the major issue with MMOs - you cant pause.

+1.  MMO's are nearly impossible to play with little ones around.

Aganazer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 02:42:58 PM »

What would make me play a MMORPG?

Release day  icon_lol

Or if its Cryptic, one year after release day.

My situation is pretty much ideal though. No kids or other major responsibilities besides a job. I have a wife that loves MMOG's and has even more spare time than I do.

Playing in the same room in a duo is almost too optimal for us. It makes us a bit antisocial with outsiders. Adding another person to the group typically only slows us down since we need to use the PC's to communicate with them. We've also gotten so used to each others play style that its become second nature.
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 02:43:11 PM »

I was always a raider.  raiding with other people requires a commitment.   This seems to make it become a job.

Thats why I go single player games.  Log in when I want, pause when I want, not play when I want.
I have a hard time playing these games and NOT raiding.

Although, it might be fun to to get on a fresh PVP server and solo play/PVP...  

But, for now, I am entertained playing single player games.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 02:50:43 PM »

What would make me play a MMORPG? Nothing... sorry. Luddite SP dude here.   icon_wink

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 02:54:18 PM »

I played wow on and off for about 4 years (from shortly before burning crusade released until shortly after Lich King released) with my most recent stint coming this past year. While playing my daily routine broke down to "Wake up, log on WoW and do some quick auction house / questing / whatever before I go to work ; Get home from work, log in, play until I go to bed"; I never want to get back into that routine so I avoid MMORPGs at all costs.

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2011, 03:18:18 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on January 06, 2011, 02:23:35 PM

I'm the exact opposite of Rocketman.  The ability to play solo is the one single factor that will get me to play an MMO.  The less interaction I have to have with other people, the better.  I was able to get into MMO's like Guild Wars and LOTRO because I could spend a significant amount of time in these games without ever being forced to group with other people.   The moment the game becomes too difficult to solo or forces me into groups (i.e. to finish quests) is typically about the time I stop playing.

What's the point then?  Why not just play a single player game instead of paying a monthly fee to play by yourself?

I would want to play a game where I feel like I am genuinly affecting the world with my actions.  Not just being the 10 millionth person to kill 10 furry wolfrats.  My favorite MMORPG was Planetside.  You could log in for an hour and jump right into a battle that had a tangible effect in the ongoing war.  While still earning XP and credits towards new gear.  I wish someone would remake that game with today's tech.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2011, 03:28:07 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on January 06, 2011, 03:18:18 PM

What's the point then?  Why not just play a single player game instead of paying a monthly fee to play by yourself?

Both Guild Wars and LOTRO (the only two MMO's I've spent any significant time with) are free to play.

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2011, 03:33:13 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on January 06, 2011, 03:28:07 PM

Both Guild Wars and LOTRO (the only two MMO's I've spent any significant time with) are free to play.

Ahh.  Umm.  I take it all back.   paranoid

icon_biggrin

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2011, 03:45:38 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on January 06, 2011, 03:33:13 PM

Quote from: Gratch on January 06, 2011, 03:28:07 PM

Ahh.  Umm.  I take it all back.   paranoid

icon_biggrin

icon_lol  I have to admit that there are a few MMO's in which the gameworld, combat system, story, setting, or other aspects really interest me.   I haven't found one yet that is interesting enough to pay $15/month to play, but I wouldn't put it out of the realm of possibility.

I also struggle with the fact that most MMO's don't really have an end.  I have a hard time playing a game that doesn't really have a designated point where it's possible to "win".

Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2011, 03:49:41 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on January 06, 2011, 02:36:05 PM

Quote from: Razgon on January 06, 2011, 02:32:56 PM

+1.  MMO's are nearly impossible to play with little ones around.

Exactly.  Furthermore, I enjoy the social aspect of playing MMOs.  With having very little time, even without having to look after my kids, I find I can never keep up with whatever group I'm with; they quickly out-level me and I'm back to playing on my own again.

Denoginizer: Planetside has always sounded really intriguing to me for just those reasons, but I kinda missed the boat on it.  I'm really looking forward to finding out what Planetside Next is.  Whether a reboot or a sequel, I'm definitely in.

Quote from: Aganazer on January 06, 2011, 02:42:58 PM

What would make me play a MMORPG?

Release day  icon_lol

Or if its Cryptic, one year after release day.

Hahahaha!

Steam profile
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2011, 03:54:47 PM »

I've always loved MMOs, but as I got older/got more responsibility I had to adjust my priorities and what/how I played.

In college when I had nothing but free time and disposable income, I spent a lot of time in hardcore MMOs like EQ (well, they were also pretty much the only thing out there at the time anyway).

When I got married I shifted into the new breed of "hardcore" MMOs like EQ2, where I did a lot of raiding, grouping, and end-game stuff. I stayed away from WoW because I considered it too easy and casual, and I wanted a game where grouping was essential.

After my strict raiding schedule in EQ2 caused issues with me and my wife, I turned to LOTRO. While I still did some grouping, it eased me into the idea that soloing and the ability to be able to stop playing on a dime was starting to become important.

After I had my daughter, and particularly now that she is running around, I've re-discovered WoW and having a blast. Is it easy? Almost comically so. Have I grouped? I've grouped once in 81 levels. But you know what? I don't care. My priorities have changed, and WoW fits my current lifestyle perfectly. It's either play WoW and get my MMO-craving satisfied in bite-sized chunks, or give up MMOs altogether.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2011, 04:08:20 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on January 06, 2011, 03:54:47 PM

After I had my daughter, and particularly now that she is running around, I've re-discovered WoW and having a blast. Is it easy? Almost comically so. Have I grouped? I've grouped once in 81 levels. But you know what? I don't care. My priorities have changed, and WoW fits my current lifestyle perfectly. It's either play WoW and get my MMO-craving satisfied in bite-sized chunks, or give up MMOs altogether.

Huh, I never knew WoW was that solo-friendly.  Might have to give it another shot if that's the case.  It wouldn't be high on my priority list, mind you (especially with my Steam backlog and my current Divinity 2 addiction), but maybe I need to take a second look.

I tried it ages ago, but it was with a couple friends who were about nothing but power-leveling their characters.  I left WoW with a bad taste because of the way they constantly ran from quest to quest without ever once stopping to smell the virtual roses.  I quite liked the world, atmosphere, and the gameplay, and if it's actually possible to play solo for a significant amount of time, it might be worth another look.  I'd always heard WoW was one of those games that pretty much required you to play with others in order to get anywhere, but maybe I'm wrong.

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2011, 04:10:56 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on January 06, 2011, 04:08:20 PM

Quote from: YellowKing on January 06, 2011, 03:54:47 PM

Huh, I never knew WoW was that solo-friendly.  Might have to give it another shot if that's the case.  It wouldn't be high on my priority list, mind you (especially with my Steam backlog and my current Divinity 2 addiction), but maybe I need to take a second look.

I tried it ages ago, but it was with a couple friends who were about nothing but power-leveling their characters.  I left WoW with a bad taste because of the way they constantly ran from quest to quest without ever once stopping to smell the virtual roses.  I quite liked the world, atmosphere, and the gameplay, and if it's actually possible to play solo for a significant amount of time, it might be worth another look.  I'd always heard WoW was one of those games that pretty much required you to play with others in order to get anywhere, but maybe I'm wrong.

You are wrong ;-) I've soloed my paladin from 1 to 69 without any issues whatsoever ,and its pretty easy/quick these days. You can solo and have fun all the way to max level these days :-)

A new one
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2011, 04:22:39 PM »

Yeah, the changes they made with 4.01 (the Cataclysm patch) made it even easier to solo in a game that was also one of the most solo-friendly MMOs on the market. For instance, even warriors now get skills that allow them to heal damage while fighting. Pretty much any class you pick can viably solo to max level. And now that they've revamped all the old zones and quest lines, the lore/world/quest progression is more fun than it has ever been.  

I started playing mid-Septemberish and have just hit 81. That's playing casually, not rushing or power leveling, averaging around 10-12 hours a week. I'm guessing that with the Cataclysm changes and improvement to quest hubs, you could probably do it much quicker now (I hit 70 just after Cataclysm hit, so basically ALL of my leveling up to 80 was doing "old world" content - the original zones + Burning Crusade + Lich King). The new zones/quests are designed to quickly get you from quest hub to quest hub without a lot of downtime. For instance, I did level 80 - 81 1/2 in 3 nights (roughly 7-8 hours) in my first pure post-Cataclysm zone.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 04:27:27 PM by YellowKing » Logged
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2011, 04:26:51 PM »

So, would someone just starting out need to buy all the WoW games right off the bat? Or do the expansions just add higher level content?  Thinking I might take another look at the "free trial" version, but wouldn't want to start off completely gimped if I decide to actually give it a go.

Can't believe I'm actually asking that question... 

YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2011, 04:30:52 PM »

Vanilla WoW will let you play from 1-60 with all the class benefits, quest improvements, old world revamps, etc. that were introduced with Cataclysm.

The Burning Crusade expansion is required if you want to level from 60-70, or play a Dranei or Blood Elf.

The Wrath of the Lich King expansion is required if you want to level from 70-80, or play a Death Knight (though to play one requires at least one character of level 55).

The Cataclysm expansion is required if you want to level from 80-85, or play a Worgen or Goblin.

Also, the expansions stack. So Cataclysm requires WotLK, which in turn requires BC.

Unless you absolutely have to play a Worgen or Goblin, your best bet is to probably just buy vanilla WoW, and then decide at 60 if you wish to continue on.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2011, 04:31:39 PM »

Burning crusade adds Blood elves and the Drenai as races, with their starting areas, and ability to gain higher levels. Wrath of the Lich king adds the Death Knight as a class, but you need a lvl 60 to be able to play it and some new high level content. The Cataclysm addon adds goblins and Wargens (werewolves) as races with their starting areas, and a new profession.

Burning crusade and Wrath can probably be found very very cheap in stores these days, I know they can in Denmark, and they are worth getting. Cataclysm isnt really that important, unless you really want to play a wargen or Goblin

Edit: Damn you gunslinger YK! you are too fast! :-D

A new one
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2011, 04:31:59 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on January 06, 2011, 04:26:51 PM

So, would someone just starting out need to buy all the WoW games right off the bat? Or do the expansions just add higher level content?  Thinking I might take another look at the "free trial" version, but wouldn't want to start off completely gimped if I decide to actually give it a go.

Can't believe I'm actually asking that question... 

Go with the 10 day trial or vanilla WoW.  You won't be gimped and you don't need BC, WotLK or Cata to begin.  

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2011, 04:36:14 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on January 06, 2011, 04:31:39 PM

Burning crusade and Wrath can probably be found very very cheap in stores these days, I know they can in Denmark, and they are worth getting. Cataclysm isnt really that important, unless you really want to play a wargen or Goblin

it's crazy how much they are still retailing for in the states.  amazon has the battlechest (vanilla plus burning) for 35 bucks, and I've seen Burning Crusade still going for 30.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2011, 04:40:43 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 06, 2011, 04:36:14 PM

Quote from: Razgon on January 06, 2011, 04:31:39 PM

it's crazy how much they are still retailing for in the states.  amazon has the battlechest (vanilla plus burning) for 35 bucks, and I've seen Burning Crusade still going for 30.

Maybe I should start an export company for games? Wow goes for 2 bucks, and I've seen wrath and burning crusade both for around 8-10 bucks

A new one
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2011, 04:50:40 PM »

Back to the question at hand...what would make me play a MMO?

It's a good question, because I believe that MMO's are more than a sum of their parts.  It's how it's all put together that makes all the difference.  WAR was so close to being right, but it was off just enough that it drove me away.  WoW got the balance right initially, but I think it's moved in a direction that I find less appealing.  EQ2 also comes close, but I get bored with the world and frustrated with the questing.  So on and so forth - it's all about finding that perfect mix.  

I like to explore and I want to see interesting areas in a huge game world.  I want interesting class abilities that take some skill to play.  I want stories to follow that are worth following.  I like humor thrown around from time to time (something WAR and LOTRO don't do very well but WoW goes overboard with) to keep things light.  I don't mind grouping, so long as the MMO makes it damn easy to group.  I don't mind soloing, so long as the MMO keeps me challenged and interested.

As such, it's better to mention what I prefer:

Crafting - EQ2's newer system is pretty darn good.  LOTRO's isn't bad.  I like being able to craft stuff for my character that has no battle-value whatsoever.  If you're not going to develop a full-blown crafting system, don't bother developing one at all.

Housing - No one has beaten EQ2's awesome housing.  

PvP - The open PvP from WAR rocked when it worked and when it was balanced.  So were the Tarren Mill fights in WoW.  I want a combination of skill & gear to determine the outcome.  WoW is too gear dependent, WAR was too class dependent.  

World - Love the open and interesting world of Azeroth.  LOTRO's is beautiful, but it gets dull.  EQ2's is pretty good.  Hate the phased-type world that was in of WAR.  Some areas can be dark and dangerous, but make sure the adventurer constantly gets to the see the beauty in the world.

Humor - No game has really gotten this right, but I'd rather lean towards WoW's humor than LOTRO/WAR's misery.

Questing - Solo should not mean "not challenging".  Killing 20 boars or running fed-ex quests aren't all that fun unless you have a good story behind it.  It's ok to send me to kill 15 boars if I've not been to that area, but if the next quest takes me to the same area to kill 10 bigger boars, I'm going to get ticked off.  At the same time, if you're going to put in group quests, then you need to make those so they'll attract the players and enable them to easily enter a group.

Characters - I want interesting abilities that look cool onscreen.  I love to heal, but I want to do more than play "whack-a-mole" with healing bars and I don't want to be gimped while trying to level.  I want constant visual stimulation and feedback.  One of the things I dislike about LOTRO are the animations/spells and how dull things look onscreen.

Instances - I want PvE instances and I don't want to compete with other groups to get to the bosses (aka EQ and WAR).  They need to be plentiful, beautiful, interesting and challenging.  WAR really dropped the ball here.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2011, 04:56:14 PM »

Thats a pretty good summary black..

Isnt is about time for a good, new MMO to make wow look like the "old days" ?

It seems like wow has been king for a awfully long time.  IT seems like the time would be about ripe for something new, and great.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2011, 04:58:09 PM »

Quote from: Blackadar on January 06, 2011, 04:50:40 PM

Back to the question at hand...what would make me play a MMO?

let's see..... gun to the head.... boredom.... werewolves with top hats.......

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2011, 05:00:56 PM »

Well there aren't really a lot of single player games that are like a MMO.  A lot of times I will solo in MMOs but having guild chat or /ooc available and being able to discuss strategies and such makes it a very different experience from a single player game.  And just because you solo a lot doesn't mean you don't get satisfaction out of showing off that cool sword you found.

However, I do prefer to group but having the option to solo is mandatory because sometimes I just don't have the time to commit to a group and I hate abandoning groups in the middle of a dungeon or something.

It's definitely worth paying a subscription fee for some us even if it's to just solo.  Didn't someone start a thread recently asking why there is no subscription based single player MMO?
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2011, 05:03:09 PM »

For me it would just take a combination of the excellent character creation and evolution in DDO along with the excellent stories, quests and crafting in LotRO combined with the great Realm vs Realm warfare in DAoC. Actually, if it only had the former 2, I could be quite content to just play it PvE.  I'd love to add in the awesome demon pets from Megaten with the uber cool fusion system, but that'd probably be 1 really weird MMORGP. slywink Oh, and of course it would have to be completely F2P.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2011, 05:12:06 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on January 06, 2011, 05:03:09 PM

I'd love to add in the awesome demon pets from Megaten with the uber cool fusion system, but that'd probably be 1 really weird MMORGP. slywink Oh, and of course it would have to be completely F2P.

Like this?

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2011, 05:30:34 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on January 06, 2011, 05:12:06 PM

Quote from: kronovan on January 06, 2011, 05:03:09 PM

I'd love to add in the awesome demon pets from Megaten with the uber cool fusion system, but that'd probably be 1 really weird MMORGP. slywink Oh, and of course it would have to be completely F2P.

Like this?

Yup, that'd be the game, but there's usually little info on the Aeria site about the demon pets. Here's a picture -albeit low quality- of someone's pet unleashing some lightning on an enemy.

By far the best pets ever in any MMO - heck they even give you quests!
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2011, 05:32:39 PM »

That's some fancy Jewish lightning. Holy power, I guess slywink

I would be most interested in some version of the Planetside and WWII Online models (neither of which I got to play). A persistent world shooter where you could gain ground over the course of a protracted conflict, while also managing resources and building fortifications. I think there are a lot of complex issues there, such as how do you prevent the opposition from just coming in and taking over while everyone is asleep, and can you make the war winnable without the possibility of one side steamrolling in during the first week the game comes out.

Something that was talked a lot about on the Combat Mission boards a while back was a game where certain people with enough experience would act as the generals, making strategic moves across the world map, while lower level players would perform the individual battles - noob players could fight company-level battles, more experienced players could take on battalion or regiment-sized battles. This idea was for turn-based battles, but it could also work in an FPS format.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2011, 05:32:59 PM »

Probably nothing. I don't need the social interaction to enjoy the game and the few times I have done stuff on-line with people scheduling was always a hassle.

I am fine with a good solo campaign.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2011, 06:20:25 PM »

Long version:

http://rittchard.wordpress.com/2009/12/23/10-suggestions-to-improve-the-next-big-mmorpg/

Short version:

GUILD WARS 2  icon_razz
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2011, 06:23:31 PM »

Hahahahaha, good call Rittchard!  Yeah, I've said it before but Guild Wars 2 sounds like the second coming.  I hope they pull it off.  Guild Wars was one of the very few multiplayer/MMO games I have been able to play since becoming a father.  If there's an opportunity to commit the shameful act of camping outside some shop to get the game as soon as possible, I might actually do it.

It's out next week isn't it? icon_biggrin

Steam profile
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2011, 06:45:29 PM »

Things That Would Make Me Play an MMORPG

1) Pay us money to play your prematurely launched-because-the-publisher-demanded-it, cluster****-bug-infested, overhyped, disappointing piece-of-crap MMORPG. Because I, like most gamers, would do ANYthing for money.  smirk

2) Stop adding a bunch of "Kill 10, 25, 50, 75, 150" hunt quests and then brag that you've "added fresh content." You haven't, Mr. Dev, so stop passing off lazy BS as "fresh content." i.e., an MMORPG that has little or even, gasp, none of that would make me want to play it.

3) Give me enough different areas to adventure, some class-specific adventures, and enough lines of quests and content, so that when I start up a 2nd character and go through your MMO, I won't feel like I'm having the same damn deja vu experience all over again. Chances are, I'll cancel during the free month when I realize there's no real replayability in your game at all. I'm not going to roll 7 characters to do the exact same quests, go to the exact same places and do the same content all over again.

4) Give me some unpredictable experiences. Surprise me. While I know plenty of people who like raids where the same thing happens every time, and the only way to succeed is to memorize the precise order and have everybody do the exact same thing every play-through as if we were all performing a play on a stage, I'm not interested in that gaming experience anymore.

I don't mean drop a piano on my head when I'm not looking, but maybe research new ways to make mmorpg enemy AI more interesting, unpredictable and challenging to play against. Get some more branching within content so there are new possible endings and new directions for the story to go in.

5) While stuff like STO's The Foundry and CoX's Mission Creator can create the sheer volume of content most MMO devs can't afford to pile up, you end up having to comb through vast chasms of junk to get to what's worth playing. Why not try leveraging player-content into the game? Maybe a contest for player-created content that's ambitious enough in storytelling and fun to become an integrated part of the game or storyline. Somebody that could pull off something like that well could probably Make Me Play Their MMORPG.
========================
To get into the spirit for this post, I pretended to be a cross between Mr. Potter in "It's a Wonderful Life." You can envision me waving a cane angrily...  icon_razz
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 06:58:41 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2011, 07:10:27 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on January 06, 2011, 05:32:39 PM

That's some fancy Jewish lightning. Holy power, I guess slywink

Yeah the whole game has a Semitic religion overtone to it. Many of the demons are like the angels and archons found in the obscure texts outside the standard Christian canon. As well,some of the events and backgrounds of the post-apocalyptic Tokyo setting have a Jewish Old Testament vibe to them. There's also Templars who have an impressive religious center and very cool outfits - players have the option of joining their society. Their counter parts are the disciples of Chaos who have a sort of Shaolin temple like center. I admittedly don't know much about Shin Megami Tensei outside of the mangas, the anime and a few games, but whoever put Megaten's background together was well read. If the game world was larger, had better graphics, less difficult crafting with a few more character options, I'd never stop playing it. Best thing about it is that (at least for those who read and plan their avatars well) it's 100% free. slywink thumbsup
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 07:14:23 PM by kronovan » Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: