http://gamingtrend.com
April 18, 2014, 09:20:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: what will sell the Xbox2?  (Read 3170 times)
farley2k
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 03, 2004, 05:48:15 PM »

I think it is fair to say that one of the main selling points (in fact probably the biggest selling point) for the Xbox was the fact that is was/is the most powerful console on the market.  People talked up how the graphics could be so much better, etc.

So if MS does release the Xbox2 in the summer of '05 it would stand to reason that Sony's PS3 would be more powerful since it is coming out later (unless of course Sony is run by complete idiots who don't see this opportunity).

so what will really sell the Xbox2?  It's main claim to fame would be gone, there are tons of rumors about no backward compatablity, and no HD as well.  

It seems like the Live service is all that MS would really have domination over (unless Sony puts out a great service).  Is that really enough to carry a system?

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2004, 05:50:42 PM »

Games games games games games

And q4 05.  No way they are bringing it out in summer if they're not showing it at e3 this year.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2004, 06:08:48 PM »

Games is right.

XBox was at a huge disadvantage to PS2 not only from the head start and name recognition, but they had a solid base of well-known 1st party titles to carry it.

This time could be different...

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2004, 10:38:10 PM »

They're not really going to call it the Xbox Next are they?  That's just a code name, right?  Right?

And they are going to have a shared Live account between Xbox and Xbox 2 right?

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2004, 10:46:17 PM »

Correct, Xbox Next is just a rumored name.  

For me, it is ALWAYS about the games, but there is also the question of followup and followthrough.  For instance, the Dreamcast was SOLID at launch with some somewhat decent launch titles...then....nothing for MONTHS.  You can't do that, people bust out a game in a weekend or two, then they need a stream of games to sate their wants.  The lack of EA support couldn't have helped either, but it wasn't the death knell.

I even held off buying a PS2 for an entire year because there was very few 'must haves' on the system for almost an entire year.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2004, 10:48:29 PM »

Games- #1
Live account transferability/use it on both machine if #3 doesn't happen-#2
Backwards Compatability-#3
Affordability-#4

I don't think we'll have any worries about power as it seems, from the "leaked" specs, that the machine will be stuffed to the gills with power.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2004, 12:22:13 AM »

From what I know, Microsoft is planning out its game strategy very well.  Brilliantly, I might say, but I'm known as a fanboy smile  No doubt Sony and Nintendo will have heavy hitter games as well, but the lead should favor MS.  It will be very interesting to watch.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2004, 12:54:24 AM »

I don't think MS got big by resting on it's laurels. Even if it has to buy Sony.  :twisted:

Actually, I think the fact the Son-of-Xbox is going to be powerful in more ways than just in the horsepower fashion will make a difference. Interoperability with the PC world, (LIVE is going to be on PC as well), Media Center stuff, possibly the HDD will be a port/addin much like an iPod. These are good things that I look forward to.

The only nice thing about the HDD IMHO is the relatively small game caching, ripping of music, and the downloads. The fact that the ripping took too damned long, and the current downloads aren't exactly breaking the space in the 'box leads me to believe they're going to go away from the 11ms HDD for faster game caching. That's not to say that it won't have a HDD, but lets face it, long load times and chugging bother people.

Pirates of the Caribbean, which was a buggy app to begin with, relied on the HDD caching. The game needed to run for 45+ min before the performance of the game was "acceptable". Ninja Gaiden did it better, but initially I found the load time to be annoying.

Frankly, if the PS3 is a better system than Son-of-Xbox, I'll switch, or have both. I just want great games, and a solid product.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2004, 12:57:15 PM »

I don't know...one benefit of no HD and no backwards compatibility would be that it could be much smaller and quieter.  I think a major complaint in the beginning anyway was the size and weight of the box.  

I don't see it being a viable media center though without a hard drive...how else can you have something like TiVo without a LOT of space available...much less general multimedia and downloading.  Flash memory is going to be too expensive compared to hard drives a year from now...I mean I can go out and buy 7200rpm 80GB drives for less than $80 now.  But I'm still paying $40 for an 128MB compact flash.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2004, 11:40:02 PM »

I think we all realize that "Games" is what sells any systems, so as far as other features that differeniate it from the other consoles the things I would like to see:

- True HDTV support.  I want everything from the Dashboard to the crappiest game to run in 1080i w/ full scene anti-aliasing.  I can dream, can't I?  Already if a game supports 720p I'm buying the Xbox version regardless of what features the other versions have (like I did with MVP baseball this week).  And how about built in DVI/component/VGA out so I don't have to spend more $$ on adapters?

- DD5.1/DTS support.   All next gen consoles will probably have it, but its still a big edge the current Xbox has right now so they'd better not screw it up.

- Tivo/Web Browser/MP3 Player/HTPC functionality.  I already have a HTPC that does most of this, but it would still be nice if the functionality was in the Xbox2.

- Kind of goes with the previous, but file sharing on your home network would also be greatly appreciated.  The Xbox music maker utility flat out sucks, and it would be nice if I could transfer saved games, videos, heck pretty much any sort of data I wanted between the two.

- Smaller, wireless controllers.  Just copy the Wavebird and add rumble plzkthxgbye.

- Customizable - as in I'd like to swap out face plates, power lights, etc. much like you can do with shuttle/alienware PCs.  That way I could put a big ass spoiler and a Type R sticker on it to make it run 15% faster.

- Make the network adapter a plug-in (ala Gamecube) so that you can choose between standard ethernet and, say, and 802.11g module (although I guess I already dropped $$ on an MS 802.11g bridge anyways).

- A **12 MONTH WARRANTY** and a DVD drive that **WORKS FOR MORE THAN 6 MONTHS**.

Now make it so.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2004, 03:03:41 AM »

I have a feeling that built in wireless will be standard on all of the next gen consoles...since MS already has a wireless b/g adapter out it wouldn't be that hard to add it to the XBox 2.  I would love to have the ability to share files with my computers on my network too...and I think it's a good chance as well with Microsoft pushing their multimedia center so hard.  I can even see the XBox 2 running a version of XP media center like the Dreamcast had with Windows CE.
Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2004, 09:40:11 PM »

I have a feeling that built in wireless will be standard on all of the next gen consoles.

Only if the controllers come with a builtin, rechargeable battery (maybe something like the battery in the GBA-SP). Otherwise it'll never fly.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2004, 09:49:17 PM »

why not?  I get close to 90 hours with my Wavebirds... and 2 AAs.   Yeah I know, no rumble, but you know what?  I honestly don't miss it one bit and even get highly annoyed by off-kilter rumble in my Logitech wireless xbox controller.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2004, 03:51:01 PM »

My philosophy regarding consoles is "I'll only buy the system after it's been out for 1 year, and if there are exactly 5 games or more that I simply can't live without playing." Hence, I bought an XBox long after it'd been out, my PS2 I bought two years after it came out, and while I was tempted to buy a GameCube for cheap-o, I can just borrow my friends' GC and play Zelda then someday.

Regarding next year's consoles, there better be some doozy games upon release, or once again I'll be staying at home laughing at the "first-nighters" standing in line in the cold. smile

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: