http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 02:07:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Vampire really needs! (besides patched)  (Read 1676 times)
farley2k
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 22, 2004, 03:24:29 PM »

More stuff!!!! I have ransacked tons of hotel rooms, offices, etc. and found squat.

I have the wopping choice of two outfits, 3 different melee weapons (4 if you cound a severed arm), and 3 fire arms!  

This is a freaking RPG!!   There should be more crap than I could ever use.

Different outfits - even if they have the same AC - allow me to customize my character.  At the end of Vampire I expect that the Venture women will look exactly the same because that is the best armor.  They will all use the same weapon, etc.  

The story is good, the voice acting is very good, the world is cool but without more stuff it feels dull.  There is little incentive to dig around in rooms without people or go exploring.

maggie-chow
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2004, 04:53:03 PM »

Yes, I agree on the clothing issue.  I was a bit shocked at the character creation screen, basically having no choices besides clan and gender.

The L.A. setting was a bad design choice.  There are no cars on the streets, how jarring is that?  Should have set it in Venice or somewhere else in Europe, so the lack of cars could be worked around.

"I spill my drink!"    [Currently playing: Civ IV (PC), Romance of the Three Kingdoms X (PS2)]
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2004, 05:24:11 PM »

LA fits with the story though, Europe has a strong vampiric lineage, but LA is kinda mutts-land until the Prince steps in.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2004, 08:20:06 PM »

I also would have appreciated more 'stuff'.

What bothers me more than anything though is the apparent divide between fists and every other form of melee/ranged damage.  At least early on, my diplomatic build Torreador is much more lethal with her bare hands than with any other weapon I have found, including the shotgun.  Fists do decent damage, especially to humans, and they are SO much faster than most of the other weapons.  And my build favors ranged weps too...My unarmed feat is 2, melee is 1-2, and ranged is 4-5.

Taking that complaint further, claws are even more crazily overpowered.  I played a Protean Gangrel at first, and the game was just a joke.  It was like I had enabled god mode.  With Protean and Blood Buff on, everything died in one hit save a few of the 'boss' type characters in Santa Monica.

Now, dont get me wrong.  I appreciate that my Vampire is indeed kicking ass and taking names versus gangbanger riffraff.  I just think the other forms of damage ought to be more effective.  These dudes were taking 4-5 shots from the .38 to drop them.

olaf
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2004, 08:31:20 PM »

been playing a brujah as i somehow 'connect' more with that type of vampire than the others and he is a major brawler, oddly enough with a bent for hacking slywink .  i barely use weapons as after i checked his weapon stats, i saw that my damage potential was quite higher with just fists.  add potence and blood buff to this and he's a powerhouse.  with an increased celerity, it's just crazy.  like agent smith beating on neo in the first movie.  fists moving so fast you can barely see them

i agree completely on the lack of stuff.  not only is there very little in the way of things to find, but there are few areas to search.  most cabinets and drawers don't even open.  it makes exploring much less rewarding i think, although it makes it faster to find good stuff.  i think back to what they did with arcanum and having crap all over the place to find and use.  it actually made sense to go rifling through trash cans when you could find usable parts in there.  in vampire you just look for the hotspot.  

i'm also a little disappointed they didn't use the hl2 approach to usable items.  in hl2 damn near everything can be manipulated or destroyed.  it would have been nice to see something like that in vampire.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Quaro
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2004, 07:27:21 AM »

Inspection really limits what you will find.  For instance in the apartment right next to the room you begin the game in, there is a + skills manual, but I bet a lot of people missed it.
Chesspieceface
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2004, 08:39:37 AM »

I'm gonna go "yes and no" on this.

Yes I'd like to find more than I have.  Yes, The clothing options are weak. Yes you find more with a higher inspection.

No more inventory micromanaging ala Dungeon Siege/Divine Divinity is a good thing IMO. If I have to sort through 20 swords one more time...  I also enjoy that I don't feel the inexplicable desire to enter every building I pass just to see if I can steal stuff; I've always found that jarring.  I feel like the lack of looting keeps the game more 'story' based.
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2004, 08:40:35 PM »

Have to agree on this one.  Doesn't the game seem like every room has an unfinished feel?  Its obvious from the bugs (and I am not a "bug hunting" person) that it was rushed for holiday release.  

Every room has a very barren feel to it and I am always disappointed when the little "use" hand icon thingy doesn't come up.  And why can I pick up stuff like boxes in rooms when there is nothing to use them for/on (besides tossing at a wall).

Still, for its flaws, this is the game that is taking me away from HL2 and EQ2.

-Crusis

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2004, 08:49:43 PM »

Yes despite all this I am still drawn to the game.  I just find it so mcuch fun that I can't stop playing, even with all the flaws.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2004, 08:57:40 PM »

I find myself wishing that this was an adventure game.  The story, conversation options and the investigation missions are the best parts of the game IMO and very well done.  I could do without the combat and lackluster stealth bits.
Chesspieceface
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2004, 11:53:07 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
I could do without the combat and lackluster stealth bits.

I've found the combat has really grown on me.  I'm really enjoying my pimpsuit wearing Malkavian smashing skulls with a sledgehammer.  In some ways I get really pumped before each of the major battles.  The Warrens were a bit much though.  Melee is 8 and Ranged is 7, I could see how I might not feel the same if I hadn't put the points there though.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2004, 12:51:49 AM »

Quote from: "Demosthenes"
I could do without the combat and lackluster stealth bits.

I've found the combat has really grown on me.  I'm really enjoying my pimpsuit wearing Malkavian smashing skulls with a sledgehammer.  In some ways I get really pumped before each of the major battles.  The Warrens were a bit much though.  Melee is 8 and Ranged is 7, I could see how I might not feel the same if I hadn't put the points there though.

What bugs me is that the basic combat engine doesn't feel good until you really pump up your stats.  Deus Ex, a game which clearly inspired Vampire quite a bit, had a very good base combat engine from which the additional combat stats really built upon.
Chesspieceface
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2004, 12:55:29 AM »

What bugs me is that the basic combat engine doesn't feel good until you really pump up your stats.  Deus Ex, a game which clearly inspired Vampire quite a bit, had a very good base combat engine from which the additional combat stats really built upon.

Maybe I'm wrong but I distinctly remember starting Deus Ex after finishing HL1 for the first time, and thinking how bad the pistol action sucked.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: