http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 07:45:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What the...Ninety-Nine Nights demo up in the marketplace!  (Read 3522 times)
Roguetad
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2006, 03:15:26 PM »

Ugh...Kingdom Under Fire part 3 for the 360.  I liked the first KUF for the xbox, but the formula and gameplay quickly got old for me.  I thought this was going to be an action rpg, not another KUF.  I'm glad it's getting a positive reception, but I think I'm in the minority of people that don't like the demo.
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2006, 05:14:59 PM »

I'll rent the game.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2006, 06:06:49 PM »

Quote from: "Roguetad"
Ugh...Kingdom Under Fire part 3 for the 360.  I liked the first KUF for the xbox, but the formula and gameplay quickly got old for me.  I thought this was going to be an action rpg, not another KUF.  I'm glad it's getting a positive reception, but I think I'm in the minority of people that don't like the demo.

Well, on these boards I think you would be considered in the majority.   :wink:

Sandwiches do fix everything.
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2006, 07:54:50 PM »

Seems like a dw type of game with lots of button mashing pretty to look at maybe a rental.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2006, 10:57:19 PM »

While I'm sure the theory is that the downloadable demos increase sales (and I'm sure that's the case in actual practice) for me it tends toward  the opposite- it allows me to get a quick eye candy fix off some of these so that I can ultimately resist the impulse urge to buy them that I would probably get otherwise.  And N3 fits squarely in this category for me- after playing through the demo I feel like I've seen dabbled enough with it and now won't consider buying it.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2006, 11:53:03 PM »

Now, if the story and characters had actually been interesting, a lot more people would have bought it

Why are these developers and publishers shooting themselves in the foot by not hiring decent writers and voice actors?  By not using them, and having cliched stories with uninteresting character they're missing out on one of the biggest hooks to get people to buy, a feeling of attachment to characters and involvement in the plot.

Face it, the gameplay is rehashed Dynasty Warriors.  It looks prettier, has a lot more going on, but ultimately it's a bland rehash.  If they had gone with a more interesting story and shown a good slice of it during the demo, a lot more players would be interested in buying instead of just getting their fill of the game.

Oh, and the way they handle item drops is just plain stupid.  First you need a massive combo count to have items start dropping, but by the time you get this count, you've usually already killed most enemies on screen.  So now all those one use items have their timers run out while running to the next fight,

The equippable items are more interesting.  I managed to get two clovers early in the game (+ to item drop chance) which meant any time I got past that combo number I'd get items up the wazoo.  But, I'm not really into the whole diablo style item collecting.

So, no story, no good multiplayer, no buy.  It's a rental for me.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2006, 01:51:41 AM »

I thought it was mildly enjoyable.  Dunno about a purchase though.

One thing that really grabs my goat is that if equip a 'blue cape' item or whatever, my character looks the exact same.  LOVE the paperdoll aspect of games and this game would be sweet if the charactered reflected visually what items you equip.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2006, 03:16:24 AM »

Quote from: "Turtle"
Now, if the story and characters had actually been interesting, a lot more people would have bought it

Why are these developers and publishers shooting themselves in the foot by not hiring decent writers and voice actors?  By not using them, and having cliched stories with uninteresting character they're missing out on one of the biggest hooks to get people to buy, a feeling of attachment to characters and involvement in the plot.

Could be worse.

"And our game is based on actual Japanese history."

"So now we're fighting this giant enemy grab..." biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2006, 03:36:21 AM »

IIRC, I think I read that the story was actually pretty good.  I thought the cutscene before the mission was well done though obviously without context I really had no feel for the characters or situation.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2006, 03:46:56 AM »

Quote from: "Turtle"
So, no story, no good multiplayer, no buy.  It's a rental for me.

Curious, since I plan to play this game FOR the story. Guess we'll see...

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2006, 07:17:46 AM »

I, for one, really liked the demo and I will buy the game. Yes, at first impression, it is nothing more than a mindless button mashing game, but on closer inspection, there is a fairly decent combo system that, if learned, is pretty cool. Lots of great looking moves and powered up attacks. I didn't have any problems with the difficulty of the demo level. Even with the pseudo-boss at the end. I think the key is to collect as many of the powerups and items that get dropped as possible. There are items that boost attack power, boost power, new weapons, etc. The graphics are definitely excellent. Particularly the intro movie. Voice acting was typically bad for a Japanese to English dub and the lines didn't even come close to matching the character lip movements. The AI controlled allies do seem pretty dumb, but they do attack enemies. Just not very well.

Personally, I think for a Dynasty Warrior clone, it's a lot better than the DW games. Like I said, I'll definitely buy the game when it comes out in a couple of weeks.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2006, 01:55:33 PM »

Quote from: "depward"
I thought it was mildly enjoyable.  Dunno about a purchase though.

One thing that really grabs my goat is that if equip a 'blue cape' item or whatever, my character looks the exact same.  LOVE the paperdoll aspect of games and this game would be sweet if the charactered reflected visually what items you equip.

I forgot to mention this in my post, but since you've brought it up, it reminded me that I was thinking the same thing when playing.  I got some helmet from a chest and when I put it on, I expected to see myself wearing the helmet.  My expectation was not met.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2006, 02:02:19 PM »

Was it something you actually equipped from the status screen or just something you ran over? The only equippable item I found in 2 run-thrus was a staff (both times).

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2006, 02:11:10 PM »

Quote from: "Misguided"
Was it something you actually equipped from the status screen or just something you ran over? The only equippable item I found in 2 run-thrus was a staff (both times).

It was equippable.  I found about 5 or so equippable items when I played.  One was a wind cloak, one was some kind of mace, one was a clover, one was a knight emblem, and the other was a helmet.  Actually, I may have found even one more, but I can't remember what it was.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2006, 05:38:59 PM »

Quote from: "kathode"
Can't beat the demo.  I don't know what it is.  The first time I died because I was stupid early on.  The second time I died what I imagine is late in the demo past the landslide because those silvery-armoured goblins who can block ganged up and kicked my ass.  The game is going to need exhaustive checkpoints because I already don't feel like starting over again.  And yeah, your army filled up at the lead paint buffet before they came out to fight.  Stupid is as stupid does, and they don't do shit.

It's ok I guess.  I'm just running around hammering buttons.

K. Imagine if someone walked into Oblivion hammering buttons.

Read the controls and the combos. I died twice in the demo; and then I looked through the combos and the item equip stuff.

I load up the soldiers and then move forward, keeping them in defence (down on d pad). You need to kill guys to get red orbs, you need to use red orbs to get blue ones so you can use your big powerup attacks. Also, explore all the areas to get your good stuff.

I found that when fighting the harder guys, you actually need to block (which is pretty reasonable). Also the X,Y,Y,Y,Y combo is awesome (it's like Chun Li's hyper kick).

I'll drop some full impressions when I have time.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2006, 06:25:08 PM »

I beat the demo pretty easily, after learning how to equip new weapons. It's great fun. I love the Dynasty Warriors games, so this one is a keeper for me.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2006, 12:59:08 AM »

I love the DW series, but I couldn't take N3. It bored me really quickly, though I don't think I could explain it well.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2006, 02:00:46 AM »

Quote from: "DiscoJason"

It was equippable.  I found about 5 or so equippable items when I played.  One was a wind cloak, one was some kind of mace, one was a clover, one was a knight emblem, and the other was a helmet.  Actually, I may have found even one more, but I can't remember what it was.

OK, well tell me how to equip the stuff...when I go into the status screen I never see it there...and I think I found 3 clovers, the wind cloak and some other junk.

Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2006, 02:53:35 AM »

Quote from: "Eduardo X"
I love the DW series, but I couldn't take N3. It bored me really quickly, though I don't think I could explain it well.

+1. I think N3 character moves too fast compare to DW.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2006, 03:01:45 AM »

OK, well tell me how to equip the stuff...when I go into the status screen I never see it there...and I think I found 3 clovers, the wind cloak and some other junk.

Well, I don't have the demo anymore to tell you exactly, but I think I hit the Back button and there are like 4 empty slots to put stuff in.  One is for weapons, but I think the others are for other stuff.

disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 31, 2006, 03:12:10 AM »

Well, I don't have the demo anymore to tell you exactly, but I think I hit the Back button and there are like 4 empty slots to put stuff in.  One is for weapons, but I think the others are for other stuff.

hitting the Start button and selecting 'Status' from the menu will take you to the same stat/inventory screen as the 'Back' button.  you can equip weapons and items there.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 31, 2006, 05:07:49 AM »

I was looking forwards all the slaughter, but even though it is there I can see it getting old quickly.  <sigh>, time to put another 360 game into the 'rental' column.   Thank god for Chromehounds....

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 31, 2006, 10:17:12 AM »

Quote from: "disarm"

hitting the Start button and selecting 'Status' from the menu will take you to the same stat/inventory screen as the 'Back' button.  you can equip weapons and items there.

Mine's quicker. slywink

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: July 31, 2006, 12:28:39 PM »

Hit Pause - Status

make sure you're not swinging at the time, or you can't change equipment.

As to the items, there is no paper-doll that I know of. The weapon models DO change though.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 31, 2006, 01:52:43 PM »

I've been to the status screen, but don't think I ever saw anything show up there other than the weapon I picked up.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: July 31, 2006, 04:17:25 PM »

there are black ovals at the top (to the right of the weapon). the weapon is in slot 1, and there are 5 other slots. Only the first 3 are avail for items (initially).

Kill lots of stuff, you can unlock the 4th one.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: