http://gamingtrend.com
April 16, 2014, 05:20:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What the...Ninety-Nine Nights demo up in the marketplace!  (Read 3417 times)
TheMissingLink
Gaming Trend Senior Member

TML, for short.

View Profile
« on: July 28, 2006, 10:19:11 AM »

587MB, get downloading before everybody wakes up and starts clogging things up!

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 12:52:01 PM »

Took awhile, but I finally got it downloaded.

Treated to a very nice CGI intro that gets you totally pumped for the game...given another smaller CGI movie that explains the kind of mission you're on and it then plunks you down with armies at your command biggrin

First of all, the game is f'n beautiful.  Screenies don't really do the game justice when you see hundred's of goblin's running towards you over a hill.  Charging head-first into them is fun as hell.  I was worried about slowdown and framerate hiccups, and while I did see some of that, it was somewhat rare-ish, which surprised me.  And when it did happen, it was weird, because I can remember when there was MORE stuff going on in the screen and slowdown didn't happen.  But anyway.

It's very Dynasty Warriors-ish, except waaay more epic, thanks to the fantastic graphics.  I never dove into DW much, but there are more combo's than just slash, slash, slash (you can view 'em if you press start and check out combo's)...you collect power orbs to unleash a special attack, and then during that special attack you collect SUPER power orbs to unleash an ultimate attack.  And seriously, that attack is freakin' awesome.

I actually died on my first playthrough (yeaaaah, I sort of just charged ahead, leaving my two armies behind...not wise), so the enemies do more than just stand around and watch, which is a huge gripe of mine in the DW games.  

I was sort of in awe as I was playing, to be honest - it looked really great.  It was cool fighting along-side another powerful warrior, too, because she was whooping all kinds of ass.  Really want to play as her!

This game wasn't even on my radar before, I dismissed it as being a prettied-up DW-clone, but the character design / art-style is fantastic, and the demo really gives me hope that there's a deeper-game under the beautiful graphics.  

ANOTHER 360 game that comes out in August.  I MAY HAVE TO PREORDER THIS ONE!

Thumbs up.  Very nice surprise.

**edited to add**

The camera gave me problems...I fought with it the whole time.  Maybe time will cure that.

**edited to add x2**

Stiffler and Hetz are going to love this game.

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 01:09:45 PM »

IN!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006, 01:19:29 PM »

IN

...that is all.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006, 01:19:49 PM »

Devil, when your gal asks you if you want sex, to you scream IN by chance?
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2006, 01:21:01 PM »

Who says it's a gal, and who says the question is in THAT direction? slywink

...not that there's anything wrong with that.  :oops:

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2006, 01:51:17 PM »

Ah hell ya! IN!

Wait... I have to go work.. crap.  Guess I'll start the download and play when I get back.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2006, 02:25:03 PM »

Is this supposed to be good?  I thought I had read some reviews on the already released Japanese version that were pretty mediocre.  A prettier Dynasty Warriors with worse gameplay, or something like that.

Then again, this is made by the Lumines/Meteos/Rez guy isn't it?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2006, 02:28:42 PM »

Quote from: "wonderpug"

Contracted out- he was the lead designer and the actual coders are Phantagram who are responsible for the Kingdoms Under Fire series.  And, yeah, the Japanese response was pretty lukewarm- I think it was supposed to be repetitive and lacking depth but I didn't pay too much attention to the reaction.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2006, 02:43:20 PM »

I've been married for 7 years. I don't get asked!

I would say "IN", though!

biggrin

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2006, 02:44:04 PM »

Now is this straight forward action or do they through in the RTS elements that Kingdom Under Fire had? I just want to slaughter things, not have to worry about tactics.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2006, 02:53:54 PM »

Quote from: "Devil"

biggrin

Man, I feel sorry for you.  I have been married for 6 and I get asked almost daily... tends to limit my gaming time tho.
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2006, 02:56:11 PM »

DLing now! Thx for the heads up

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2006, 03:13:12 PM »

Quote from: "Arkon"

biggrin

Man, I feel sorry for you.  I have been married for 6 and I get asked almost daily... tends to limit my gaming time tho.

And yet I see you playing Chromehounds nightly.  You must be quick. smile

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2006, 03:17:21 PM »

Quote from: "CeeKay"
Now is this straight forward action or do they through in the RTS elements that Kingdom Under Fire had? I just want to slaughter things, not have to worry about tactics.

Tactics? There are tactics in this game?

I told (accidently) my guards to stay put, and I wandered off to kill a total of 3 THOUSAND guys by my lonesome before the end of the mission. At times, there were 2-3 hundred people on the screen, easily. I had combos breaking a thousand multiple times.

This is Dynasty Warriors on crack. Any questions? biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2006, 03:18:37 PM »

Quote from: "DiscoJason"

biggrin

And yet I see you playing Chromehounds nightly.  You must be quick. smile

Nightly I play yes, until 9 PM usually.  And of course I also don't get on the game until after 6PM EST usually... leaves much time after work, and before bed.

biggrin
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2006, 03:34:17 PM »

DW:Empires is DW + Risk. biggrin

I play that nightly.

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2006, 04:15:26 PM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
**edited to add x2**

Stiffler and Hetz are going to love this game.

I'm holding out for Ninety-Nine Nights Xtreme Legends!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2006, 04:23:59 PM »

Quote from: "wonderpug"

Yes...Tetsuya Mizuguchi. Never played a DW game put anxious to play this because of his role.

:cry: Too bad I'm still waiting on my 360 to get back from Microsoft.

HA! UPS just knocked at the door...downloading now  biggrin

Ruining language with my terrible words.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2006, 05:30:33 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
This is Dynasty Warriors on crack. Any questions? :D

Sold!
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2006, 05:30:57 PM »

I normally don't play demos, but since I'm so on the fence with this one I think I should.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2006, 05:35:12 PM »

Can someone explain how guard orders work? They keep standing around at times even when they are set to "attack". There doesn't appear to be a follow command and I keep leaving them behind inadvertantly.

Also, is the audio really poor quality for anyone else? It sounds really garbled/distorted here like it's heavily compressed (which would be understandable for a demo, I'm just trying to figure out if it's the demo or something on this end).

Man I wish they'd highlight where the BAD guys are...I can't see them in the sea of my own troops. Wish we could pull the camera back a bit and I keep getting Weed-Vue (TM). I'm not good with cameras in games like this though.

On the plus side, the combo moves are really cool, and I think it'll all be a bit less overwhelming to me starting from level 1.

Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2006, 05:53:30 PM »

I'm surprised that the demo impressions are so positive yet the reviews of the full game in Japan have been very mediocre.

Still, a better looking DW clone on crack mean just one thing for me:

INNNNNNNN!!!!!!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2006, 06:24:01 PM »

Quote from: "Misguided"
Also, is the audio really poor quality for anyone else? It sounds really garbled/distorted here like it's heavily compressed (which would be understandable for a demo, I'm just trying to figure out if it's the demo or something on this end).

Man I wish they'd highlight where the BAD guys are...I can't see them in the sea of my own troops. Wish we could pull the camera back a bit and I keep getting Weed-Vue (TM). I'm not good with cameras in games like this though.

I had no issues with the sound quality. Sounded crisp and clear to my ears. Only thing I can suggest there is to make sure your cables are hooked in in back, as that happened to me once when my optical cable came loose.

As for the bad guys, I just keep on swinging until I don't see any more of those red things come off the corpses. Odds are that's why you're leaving your troops behind as well - they're still back there 'fighting' the one or two guys you missed.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2006, 06:35:05 PM »

Quote from: "Jimmy the Fish"
I'm surprised that the demo impressions are so positive yet the reviews of the full game in Japan have been very mediocre.

INNNNNNNN!!!!!!

Different strokes and all.  Reviewers crapped all over Chromehounds, but just about everyone here who has played it has loved it.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2006, 07:29:58 PM »

Weird.  How well does Dynasty Warriors get reviewed in Japan?  I suspect it's more like the Japanese are just as tired of the Dynasty Warriors games as we are, and NNN was more of the same.

I already knew the 360 could handle huge fights after what I saw in Kameo, so NNN was very interesting to me.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2006, 08:13:16 PM »

Quote from: "Jimmy the Fish"

INNNNNNNN!!!!!!

Different strokes and all.  Reviewers crapped all over Chromehounds, but just about everyone here who has played it has loved it.

I didn't.  I really, really hated it.  But I already established that in another thread.  My THEORY is that due to the releases of the 360 being so... stagnant, owners of a 360 will at least try the newest release out there.  And hey, if they find it decent, they'll love it because it's the newest release.  But different strokes for different folks I suppose.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2006, 09:16:14 PM »

Quote from: "depward"
My THEORY is that due to the releases of the 360 being so... stagnant, owners of a 360 will at least try the newest release out there.  And hey, if they find it decent, they'll love it because it's the newest release.  But different strokes for different folks I suppose.

My theory is that the game rocks in multiplayer with a good squad (see: GT Goonsquad) and that's why people like it so much.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2006, 10:07:28 PM »

It's okay that you don't like the game as a whole, but please don't insult us simply because we really enjoy the multiplayer game.

We've gone over many, many times, the single player mode sucks for those game.  Simply, plainly, flat out sucks.  But the multiplayer for this game is heaven for those that like this style of game.

That said, even I see problems with the game, and I'm actually looking forward to other big robot games.  I know armored core 4 is coming out on the 360, and I'm hoping Steel Battalion or Mechwarrior (not mechassault) gets a sequel on the system.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2006, 10:22:29 PM »

I have mixed feelings about N3.  Like the look, like the combos, but the voice acting and music and ai were disappointing.  I actually just stood there and watched 12 of my fellow soldiers surrounding one enemy and it took them 30 seconds to kill it since most of them were just swinging at nothing or doing nothing and the enemy only swung maybe twice in that whole time.  I know they are wanting me, the player, to kill them, but this is ridiculous.  If I have to kill ALL of them why even give me an army?!  Lame I thought.  I also hated the whole invisible wall thing.  You cannot go ANYWHERE in this game.  Forget getting off the open field.  Didn't like that at all.  Not expecting to be able to climb trees or mountains, but I couldn't even go around any of the boulders on the ground anywhere near the canyon walls.  Not a big big deal since stealth and ambush are not what this game is about, though it would be better for it, but I still didn't like that aspect at all.

Wanted to like it becuz of the whole look, the fantasy genre, grandiose war and all, but just seems they thought me seeing 500 enemies on screen at once and being able to do flashy moves would be enough for a game.  Not for me.  But if you dig that, then by all means check it out becuz that is what it is in spades.  Oh, and it looks really nice too.  I mentioned that, but it bears repeating.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2006, 10:46:02 PM »

La - land slide!

(I've decided that I'll pick the game up if I see it for $35 or less...)

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2006, 12:00:58 AM »

I've never really played one of these types of games, but with the demo there I figured I would give it a try.  Was fun while it lasted, though I am not sure whether I would want what seems to be simple gameplay to last through a $60 game.  I did like the fact that you can find weapons, armor, and items and you were limited in slots to wear them so that you had to make choices.  Not sure if the items are random that you get or not (in the treasure chests), but it would be cool if they were and you could put together sets and stuff.

I guess I will read some reviews.  If this had two player I think I would be all over it because I feel my son could play along with me without much trouble, but it looks to be 1 player only.  I am sure the reviews won't be very good since the Dynasty Warriors ones never are, so unless I read something in those reviews that stands out, I will probably skip this one, at least until it hits the bargain bin.

Oh, by the way, if you click the right analog stick you can zoom the camera out a little bit.

ALso forgot to mention the AI for your army.  Just as some others said, they appear to just stand around and not do much.  I left them behind and they all died, but since I kicked ass it didn't much matter.  Not sure if they play more into it on other stages or not, but I felt they were pretty useless and didn't much help me complete the stage.

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2006, 12:35:33 AM »

Can't beat the demo.  I don't know what it is.  The first time I died because I was stupid early on.  The second time I died what I imagine is late in the demo past the landslide because those silvery-armoured goblins who can block ganged up and kicked my ass.  The game is going to need exhaustive checkpoints because I already don't feel like starting over again.  And yeah, your army filled up at the lead paint buffet before they came out to fight.  Stupid is as stupid does, and they don't do shit.

It's ok I guess.  I'm just running around hammering buttons.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2006, 01:43:55 AM »

I've never really played one of these types of games, but with the demo there I figured I would give it a try.  Was fun while it lasted, though I am not sure whether I would want what seems to be simple gameplay to last through a $60 game.  I did like the fact that you can find weapons, armor, and items and you were limited in slots to wear them so that you had to make choices...  

...Also forgot to mention the AI for your army.  Just as some others said, they appear to just stand around and not do much.  I left them behind and they all died, but since I kicked ass it didn't much matter.  Not sure if they play more into it on other stages or not, but I felt they were pretty useless and didn't much help me complete the stage.

i agree with pretty much all of what DJ said...fun demo with a good presentation (except for the mediocre voice acting), but i'm not sure it would hold my interest for long.  you can only rush head-on into massive armies and mash the attack buttons for so long before it gets a little old.  i feel like there might be a decent fighting/combo system underneath it all, but i wonder what the motivation is to learn it when just pressing buttons seems to work well enough.  i have to admit some of the combos are pretty cool though, especially the orb powers.  one time in the demo, i managed to come up on a new group of orcs with a full blue orb charge...unleashed the fury and got a 450 combo with a single button press as it sucked them all into oblivion.  that is pretty damn cool :twisted:

as others have said, however, the AI really needs some serious work.  instead of being a useful fighting force, your army's primary goal seems to be standing around in an effort to block your view of the actual enemies.  with so many characters on screen at one time, it can be difficult to notice the ones sneaking up behind you during a big fight, or to see those last few enemies hiding in the crowd of your own army.  fortunately, your soldiers do help to point them out a little by surrounding them and just standing still...you can often find the final enemies from a mob by looking for a group of soldiers circled around one spot doing nothing.  i can understand that they want us to do most of the work, but they should have at least made it look like the soldiers are fighting even if they don't really affect the battle.

all complaints aside, however, i do have to admit that N3 looks fantastic.  the amount of character detail and number of creatures/people on screen at one time is pretty impressive...and i never got a bit of slowdown even in the biggest battles.  the fighting move animations are cool, and the orb attack effects are pretty awesome even at the low level of the demo.  i can't imagine what some of the really high-level orb powers will look like, but i'm guessing they'll be even better.  the overall pace of the action is pretty good, and i think the music and sound effects do a good job of pulling you into the action.  i cranked up my home theater while i was playing, and the audio is pretty impressive...exciting music,  good sound effects, and very nice use of surround.

in the end, N3 looks to be a technically stunning game, but i'm just not sure the gameplay will hold my interest enough to ever justify a purchase.  i'll be keeping an eye all the opinions around release time though...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2006, 02:53:57 AM »

I have the Asian version (Japanese voice with English subtitle) and this is one XBOX 360 game that I regret buying. The gameplay is just not fun for me. The graphic is great, but you control this one character that spin around slaughtering army which get boring after a while. Maybe the other characters are more interesting, but I stop playing it before I unlock any other characters.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2006, 04:17:58 AM »

I played this demo for about a half hour and I was already sick of smacking the same buttons for auto-combos on endless numbers of the same enemy.  Reminds me very much of one of the Dynasty Warriors games I played before, and that's not really a good thing.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2006, 04:48:21 AM »

Well I made it through the demo level with (literally) a sliver of health. Why, oh why Inphyy do you stand there idly watching as this troll thrashes me?

I finally figured out I could get my buddies to follow me around by putting them into defensive position as long as no baddies were around.

I kept picking up what seemed like equippables that didn't show on the status screen...not sure what that's about.

Solved the majority of my sound problem by decreasing the slider on the line in jack on my sound card on my PC, which seemed to be causing the distortion.

Man, I REALLY hope we can play with subtitles....it's tempting to order the Asian version. I'm interested in the game for the visuals and the story, not the action so much. I worry I won't be able to progress very easily. As I eluded to earlier, I barely scraped through with a "C" grade.

The only slowdowns I experienced immediately preceded cutscenes. The game is absolutely gorgeous.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2006, 01:04:35 PM »

cut scenes were some of the best i have seen,and i guess it has what you want in a cut scene..cleavage!!

but kinda dissapointed that in the end it was just a hack and slash...still i had fun though kicking the ever loving crap outta the gobs....oh,but then i died,just after killing the troll after the landslide :cry:

oh and the sound was fine for me too

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2006, 01:23:56 PM »

Forgot to mention that I loved how the troll boss would run over and pick up the logs off the ground, swing them around for a bit then fling them at you.

DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2006, 03:05:32 PM »

Quote from: "disarm"
I've never really played one of these types of games, but with the demo there I figured I would give it a try.  Was fun while it lasted, though I am not sure whether I would want what seems to be simple gameplay to last through a $60 game.  I did like the fact that you can find weapons, armor, and items and you were limited in slots to wear them so that you had to make choices...  

...Also forgot to mention the AI for your army.  Just as some others said, they appear to just stand around and not do much.  I left them behind and they all died, but since I kicked ass it didn't much matter.  Not sure if they play more into it on other stages or not, but I felt they were pretty useless and didn't much help me complete the stage.

i agree with pretty much all of what DJ said...fun demo with a good presentation (except for the mediocre voice acting), but i'm not sure it would hold my interest for long.  you can only rush head-on into massive armies and mash the attack buttons for so long before it gets a little old.  i feel like there might be a decent fighting/combo system underneath it all, but i wonder what the motivation is to learn it when just pressing buttons seems to work well enough.  i have to admit some of the combos are pretty cool though, especially the orb powers.  one time in the demo, i managed to come up on a new group of orcs with a full blue orb charge...unleashed the fury and got a 450 combo with a single button press as it sucked them all into oblivion.  that is pretty damn cool :twisted:

as others have said, however, the AI really needs some serious work.  instead of being a useful fighting force, your army's primary goal seems to be standing around in an effort to block your view of the actual enemies.  with so many characters on screen at one time, it can be difficult to notice the ones sneaking up behind you during a big fight, or to see those last few enemies hiding in the crowd of your own army.  fortunately, your soldiers do help to point them out a little by surrounding them and just standing still...you can often find the final enemies from a mob by looking for a group of soldiers circled around one spot doing nothing.  i can understand that they want us to do most of the work, but they should have at least made it look like the soldiers are fighting even if they don't really affect the battle.

all complaints aside, however, i do have to admit that N3 looks fantastic.  the amount of character detail and number of creatures/people on screen at one time is pretty impressive...and i never got a bit of slowdown even in the biggest battles.  the fighting move animations are cool, and the orb attack effects are pretty awesome even at the low level of the demo.  i can't imagine what some of the really high-level orb powers will look like, but i'm guessing they'll be even better.  the overall pace of the action is pretty good, and i think the music and sound effects do a good job of pulling you into the action.  i cranked up my home theater while i was playing, and the audio is pretty impressive...exciting music,  good sound effects, and very nice use of surround.

in the end, N3 looks to be a technically stunning game, but i'm just not sure the gameplay will hold my interest enough to ever justify a purchase.  i'll be keeping an eye all the opinions around release time though...

I agree with many of your points. Great eye-candy, but the gameplay felt empty even with the combos, and your army is pretty much worthless.

I did what you and Destructor did and just carried on without them. I was getting bored just playing the demo.

The graphics are great and it showcases what can be done graphically with the Xbox 360, but this is a rental at best for me right now.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: