http://gamingtrend.com
August 22, 2014, 04:14:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What should I play next?  (Read 834 times)
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« on: April 17, 2011, 02:06:47 PM »

Having finished Dragon Age II last night, I find myself looking at my massive backlog and pile of half-finished games and trying to figure out what I should dive into next.  I simply can't decide, so I'll leave my gaming future in your capable hands!  smile

1.  Dissidia 012 Duodecim - I'm about 8 hours in, but got somewhat stuck on a specific character because I'm not crazy about her fighting style.  Could probably just push through and probably get to a character I enjoy more.
2.  Xenogears - Got around 5 hours in before DA2 hit and I got distracted.
3.  Borderlands - Played through most of this on 360, but just grabbed the PC version with all the DLC.  Might be time for another go at it.
4.  Sims Medieval - This one didn't grab me that much in the first few hours, but maybe it's worth going back to.
5.  Vagrant Story - I've always wanted to replay this one (tried it once years ago), but am worried I'll just end up frustrated with the complexity.
6.  Beyond Good & Evil HD - Burned out around halfway through (5 1/2 hours), probably wouldn't take terribly long to finish.
7.  Final Fantasy III - On iPhone.  I'm nearly 14 hours in, but am getting a bit bogged down because there really is nothing but the grind.  Is it worth pushing through?
8.  Mass Effect 2 - Are the DLC bits I picked up (when it was offered as a free DL for DA2 owners) worth a third play-through?
9.  Darksiders - This is one I picked up on a Steam sale recently, but haven't even fired up yet.  I got about 3-4 hours into it on 360, but it didn't grab me much.  I've heard it gets better later on though...
10.  Tactics Ogre - I'm around 22 hours in, but simply lost all the desire to continue.  I picked up the guide, and realized that I missed out on recruiting a ton of characters early in the game, which is probably why my party feels quite weak.  This one would require some serious grinding to get back up to speed...not sure if I'm up for that.

What say you, GT?  Which of these should get the nod?

Sincerely,
Someone with extreme gamer ADD

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 02:23:09 PM »

What chapter are you in for Tactics Ogre?  Don't sweat missing things- that's the nature of the game since there is not only so much optional content but the game structure closes off things based on the choices you make.  You can always use the World system to redo that stuff after finishing the game.  

The DLC for ME2 is pretty awesome IMO.  You don't have to play through the entire game to access all of it- just make it to Illium.  

Don't take on Vagrant Story unless you are in the mood for complexity.  Awesome game but you have to be ready for it.  

Didn't care for Darksiders myself.  Made it a fair ways in but just lost the desire to continue.  

I'll actually put in a recommendation for a game not on your list that I think would be right up your alley- Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky on PSP.  Traditional style JRPG with a cool battle system, good story, appealing characters, and an excellent localization.  
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 02:29:57 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on April 17, 2011, 02:06:47 PM

Sincerely,

From what I've read, Radiant Historia is what you should play next.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 02:46:12 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on April 17, 2011, 02:29:57 PM

Quote from: Gratch on April 17, 2011, 02:06:47 PM

Sincerely,

From what I've read, Radiant Historia is what you should play next.

Thought about that one as well, but I can't find my DS anywhere.  The hinge on it was broken anyways, which made it nearly impossible to play for any longer that 15 minute stretches.

Legend of Heroes
looks interesting, I might need to check that one out.  Thanks for the recommendation, Kevin.  I'm a little gunshy about purchasing RPG's on a whim (gotten burned on the last two - ZHP Unlosing Ranger and Two Worlds II), but I like how all the reviews for that one say that story is one of the real strong points.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 02:55:54 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on April 17, 2011, 02:46:12 PM

Legend of Heroes[/i] looks interesting, I might need to check that one out.  Thanks for the recommendation, Kevin.  I'm a little gunshy about purchasing RPG's on a whim (gotten burned on the last two - ZHP Unlosing Ranger and Two Worlds II), but I like how all the reviews for that one say that story is one of the real strong points.

You never know how people are going to react to a game (personally, Radiata Historia did zero for me and I thought I was going to love it) but Trails of the Sky is reasonably straight forward- no Nippon Ichi wackiness or obtuse systems.  It's a very well done conventional JRPG of the style that we got a lot of in the PSOne and PS2 eras but perhaps not so much these days.  As I recall you really liked Lunar and the latest Golden Sun and I would say if you liked those then you would probably like Trails in the Sky. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 03:40:54 PM »

with the recent PC sale I imagine Borderlands may be a good choice, especially if you want to get in some co-op (if you can get the matchmaking to work right).

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 04:16:25 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on April 17, 2011, 02:23:09 PM

What chapter are you in for Tactics Ogre?  Don't sweat missing things- that's the nature of the game since there is not only so much optional content but the game structure closes off things based on the choices you make.  You can always use the World system to redo that stuff after finishing the game.  

I just started Chapter III.  Oddly, I think I actually did myself a disservice by buying the guide for this one.  Since the guide didn't come out until over a week after the game was released, I had already put about 18 hours in before picking it up.  Reading through it made me realize how, in addition to missing multiple recruitable characters, I also did an extremely poor job of developing my squad.  I should have just kept playing without the guide and stayed none the wiser.  frown

Just DL'ed Legend of Heroes...firing it up now. 

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 08:22:34 PM »

I'm in the same situation with Darksiders. I figured I love zelda so I should love that game too. But yeah, stopped after maybe 6-7 hours. Wasn't feeling it. The combat always felt clunky. I played it after coming off Nier and the lack of a dodge button in Darksiders drove me insane.
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 03:07:53 AM »

i go for the shorter game - beyond good evil? just to get 1 backlog knocked out.

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 03:15:03 AM »

I'm noticing a disturbing trend in your posts, Gratch:

"I got distracted..."
"but got somewhat stuck...Could probably just push through..."
"This one didn't grab me that much..."
"Burned out around halfway through..."
"am getting a bit bogged down..."
"I got about 3-4 hours into it on 360, but it didn't grab me much..."
"...simply lost all the desire to continue..."

Maybe you need to go read a book, take a break from gaming, or jettison most of these games. You're clearly dissatisfied and restless at the moment. Are you falling into the trap of playing games because you feel the need to cross them off your list?

Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky is indeed excellent, but NOT because of the story. The draw of the game is the light-hearted character banter and interaction. The story is typical vanilla JRPG for the most part.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 03:19:29 AM by Dante Rising » Logged
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 03:23:23 AM »

finished batman AA today. what an amazing game. best 7.5 spent in a long time. so play that if you have it and haven't played it. took me about 14 hours.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 11:52:42 AM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on April 18, 2011, 03:15:03 AM

Maybe you need to go read a book, take a break from gaming, or jettison most of these games. You're clearly dissatisfied and restless at the moment.

That thought has definitely occurred to me, and actually reaches beyond my current gaming habits.  I've had a really hard time staying focused on anything lately, but that's probably a topic for another thread...

Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky is indeed excellent, but NOT because of the story. The draw of the game is the light-hearted character banter and interaction. The story is typical vanilla JRPG for the most part.

I put in about 5 hours yesterday.  It hasn't totally hooked me yet, but I'm mostly enjoying it.  I'm wondering if the leveling up process is supposed to be this mind-numbingly slow, or if I'm doing something wrong.

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 01:19:47 PM »

It seems like all of those games are either snoozers (Vagrant Story, FF 3, Sims, ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzz) or games you have already played.  You need a pallet cleanser.

Play Bulletstorm.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2011, 02:10:59 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on April 18, 2011, 01:19:47 PM

It seems like all of those games are either snoozers (Vagrant Story, FF 3, Sims, ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzz) or games you have already played.  You need a pallet cleanser.

Play Bulletstorm.

Finished Bulletstorm a couple weeks ago, thought it was pretty fun (in short bursts).

I got a free copy of Gears of War with Bulletstorm, and fired it up for a while on Saturday.  I was bored to tears within the first hour.  Talk about a snoozer...I will never understand the love for that game.

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2011, 06:59:28 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on April 18, 2011, 02:10:59 PM

Play Bulletstorm.

Finished Bulletstorm a couple weeks ago, thought it was pretty fun (in short bursts).

I got a free copy of Gears of War with Bulletstorm, and fired it up for a while on Saturday.  I was bored to tears within the first hour.  Talk about a snoozer...I will never understand the love for that game.

Yeah Knowing your gaming tastes I definitely would not recommend Gears.  icon_biggrin

But Bulletstorm is so crazy and over the top I think even people who don't normally play shooters can enjoy it.  It's a nice break from games that take themselves too seriously. And can be played in short bursts.  I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2011, 07:00:22 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on April 18, 2011, 06:59:28 PM

Quote from: Gratch on April 18, 2011, 02:10:59 PM

Play Bulletstorm.

Yeah Knowing your gaming tastes I definitely would not recommend Gears.  icon_biggrin

But Bulletstorm is so crazy and over the top I think even people who don't normally play shooters can enjoy it.  It's a nice break from games that take themselves too seriously. And can be played in short bursts.  I'm glad you enjoyed it.

That's good because it IS short. slywink

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2011, 08:47:55 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on April 18, 2011, 11:52:42 AM

I put in about 5 hours yesterday.  It hasn't totally hooked me yet, but I'm mostly enjoying it.  I'm wondering if the leveling up process is supposed to be this mind-numbingly slow, or if I'm doing something wrong.

There is a soft cap on XP- each area has a target level and as you exceed that level the XP you get rapidly diminishes.  If you aren't getting much XP then it's probably a sign that you are already overleveled for that area.  Combat is pretty much strictly voluntary unless you are really desperate for quartz so just skip enemies if you feel like it. 
Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2011, 01:10:26 PM »

Xenogears! Since you played It before DA, it's still sort of fresh in your mind, plus it's a great game!

Live Gamer Tag: Kitten0Death
PSN: CabriX
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: