http://gamingtrend.com
October 30, 2014, 01:09:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: What Game Should I play next?  (Voting closed: March 20, 2006, 12:57:26 AM)
Star Ocean Till the End of time? - 3 (27.3%)
Atelier Iris - 0 (0%)
SMT Nocturne - 1 (9.1%)
Digital Devil Saga - 2 (18.2%)
Fire Emblem(GCN) - 5 (45.5%)
Phantom Brave - 0 (0%)
La Pucelle Tactics - 0 (0%)
Romancing Saga - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 11

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What RPG should I invest time in next?  (Read 611 times)
Tebunker
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« on: March 20, 2006, 12:57:26 AM »

I've come to an impasse, I can't decide which game to commit myself to, so I'll let you all decide.

As you can see I've amassed quite a backlog of SRPGs and Rpgs, I have more, but these are the ones I am currently eyeing.

So Yeah, lemme hear them opinions and experiences, I can't decide.

Note, I've gotten about 3 hours into Star Ocean and I am not ready to commit to it, same goes for Fire Emblem, all the others I haven't even touched yet.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 01:18:17 AM »

I'd vote for Oblivion, but it's not there on your list. Shame on you. biggrin

Out of the entire list though, I've only played Star Ocean. If you like the real time combat, and want to put the 30-40 hours or so needed to finish it, I think you'll love it. Great RPG with a great story.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 01:26:15 AM »

sorry i only know what star ocean is like......its not bad.....big...2 discs

but the story got a bit repedative...crashing on different planets...but i do want to try getting into the story again,as one of the main characters called cliff was funny as f**k

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 01:28:53 AM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
Out of the entire list though, I've only played Star Ocean. If you like the real time combat, and want to put the 30-40 hours or so needed to finish it, I think you'll love it. Great RPG with a great story.

I'll be the dissenting vote and say that I thought Star Ocean 3 was absolutely terrible.  The voice work, the graphics, the combat, the story...I hated nearly everything about it.  YMMV, of course.

With the list above, I'd go with Digital Devil Saga.  If you can get past the insane random encounter rate, they are very good games.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 01:48:40 AM »

I vote DDS.  I started on it, but then got sidetracked by something else (DQVIII maybe?).  Other than the massive random encounter rate, I thought it was excellent.

Atelier Iris falls squarely in the mediocre category.  There were some good ideas that just felt unrefined and I thought the combat and character development was bland.  Not terrible by any stretch, but I'd pick DDS over that any day.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 03:30:40 AM »

Star Ocean is a great game (I thought the voice acting was great, and the graphics are beautiful in their attention to detail), but it's very long, especially if you do the many sidequests.  Atelier Iris is pretty good, but nothing amazing.  I'd play DDS before Nocturne, as both have similar battle systems and enemies, but DDS is easier and will get you prepared for the more demanding Nocturne.  I put a few hours into Romancing Saga before temporarily shelving it in favor of other games.  It looks very detailed, with lots of stats and decisions to make, and definitely looked like more fun than the other two Saga games I've tried.  Overall, I'd go with DDS first, then DDS2, then Star Ocean, and finally Nocturne.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
depward

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2006, 03:33:24 AM »

I voted DDS, though, Nocturne is also a great game.  Romancing SaGa is just a hard game to get into - you need to be patient to play RS.

I got about 25 hours in Star Ocean til I started not liking it.  I thought it was a decent RPG.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: