http://gamingtrend.com
October 24, 2014, 01:39:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What JRPGs are you looking forward to?  (Read 452 times)
skystride
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 19, 2012, 04:04:09 PM »

Off the top of my head, I can't really think of any which makes a little bit sad.

I think I am going to get some of the ones I missed.  Anyone recommend any of these?

Resonance of Fate
White Knight Chronicles 2
Xenoblade Chronicles (eww Wii but I'm desperate)

Was there anything else worth playing that is not Final Fantasy?

I wish Atlas would start a kickstarter for Persona 5 or something.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 04:31:43 PM »

Out of those you listed I would say Xenoblade is the superior game by far.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 04:49:30 PM »

Sadly, there's not much on the horizon that I'm looking forward to.  That said, I'm sure Eddie will be along shortly to link to a few titles I've missed.  smile

Of the three you listed, Xenoblade is probably the best.  Its a pretty fun game and combat reminded me a lot of FF 12.  Problem was, the story was so-so at best, the characters were largely uninteresting, and the sheer number of quests (with little direction) crammed into in these huge locales became somewhat overwhelming.  By the time i hit yet another massive area with a billion small objectives and little connection to the overall storyline, I simply gave up.  May revisit it sometime, but knowing that I was barely halfway through at 43 hours was somewhat discouraging.  Others may disagree.

RoF didn't click with me at all, and I really quite disliked it.  However, if you can get past the near vertical learning curve, there is some fun to be had.  I have WKC2, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

You may want to give Magna Carta 2 a look, if you can find it.  I was pleasantly surprised by it, and played all the way through last year.  A very underrated game, IMO.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 05:32:22 PM »

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch for me.  I think it looks amazing.

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 01:03:11 AM »

I'm really looking forward to Persona 4 on the Vita.

RoF was awesome, but the learning curve is steep. WKC2 sucked. It was far too generic. I've have Xenoblade Chronicles, but haven't played it much.

I was also pleasantly surprised by Magna Carta 2. Be forewarned the first hour or two are very generic and not representative of the entire game.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 02:41:29 AM »

We actually seem to be on an upswing with RPGs, especially on consoles.  There was a lull after the initial wave of 360 RPGs hit, but this year we've had Final Fantasy XIII-2, Tales of Graces f, Xenoblade Chronicles, Penny Arcade 3 (on XBox Indies and Steam) and Atelier Meruru, and The Last Story (coming August 14) with Ni No Kuni, Tales of Xillia, Atelier Ayesha, South Park : The Stick of Truth, and (maybe) Dragon Quest X and Final Fantasy Versus XIII coming next year.  As far as handhelds go, Unchained Blades came out last month and Kingdom Hearts 3D and Growlanser : Wayfarer of Time are due out July 31. 

Upcoming handheld RPGs include Class of Heroes 2, Bravely Default/Final Fantasy : 4 Heroes of Light 2, Devil Summoner : Soul Hackers, Dragon Quest Monsters : Terry's Wonderland, Etrian Odyssey IV, maybe Final Fantasy Type-0 on Vita, Paper Mario : Sticker Star, and Persona 4 Golden.  Not all of these have been announced for the US, but I expect most of them to make it.  With regard to Persona 5, Atlus has said it's in development.  I'm guessing they'll reveal it this fall, with a US release late next year.

With the games that are already out, I'd definitely recommend Tales of Graces f and Xenoblade Chronicles.  I'm playing them both now and enjoying them a lot.  That should keep you busy for the next 100+ hours or so slywink

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 03:34:26 PM »

Thanks for the recommendations, I just picked up Xenoblade Chronicles.

Also, what are your thoughts on Chronicle Chronicles 9?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 09:44:19 PM »

definitely looking forward to The Last Story (it being an action RPG is a big plus), and I really need to get back to Xenoblade Chronicles.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 05:11:14 PM »

Really enjoying Xenoblade Chronicles so far.  I'm paying for it today at work, only 4 hours sleep last night because I wasn't paying attention to the time while playing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: