http://gamingtrend.com
April 25, 2014, 07:49:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: With regard to the guitar -OVERALL across both games if applicable- what is your proficiency?
Expert. I can 5 star (or come close) nearly every song - 8 (14.3%)
Hard to Expert. Hard is a tad too easy. Expert a tad too hard - 9 (16.1%)
Hard. I can 5 star (or come close) nearly every song - 2 (3.6%)
Medium to Hard.  Medium is a tad too easy. Hard a tad too hard - 19 (33.9%)
Medium is my sweetspot - 15 (26.8%)
Medium to Easy. Easy is a tad too easy.  Medium a tad too hard - 2 (3.6%)
Easy is my sweetspot. I'm all thumbs - 1 (1.8%)
Total Voters: 56

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is your GH/RB skill level?  (Read 1584 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: November 27, 2007, 09:20:24 PM »

I find myself to be a medium ace who can 5 star a few hard songs.  Beyond that I just can't move my hands fast enough or hit the bottom fret chords easily while moving my hand down the neck...
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 09:21:47 PM »

GH2 I can do some songs on Hard without missing 9/10 notes.  Medium is a good balance of hard and doable.
GH3 I can't do crap on Hard.  It's impossible.  Medium is tough, but fun.
Never tried RB.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 09:22:51 PM »

I do decently on the guitar, though I never really got into GH.  I just got Rockband yesterday, and I'm already starting to play stuff on Medium.  We'll see what happens in a couple of weeks.  smile
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 09:23:22 PM »

There wasn't quite an option to fit me in that I always play on Expert, but I can't 5 star them all.  I beat all the career songs in GH, didn't beat Freebird in GH2, and am stuck on the final tier in GH3 with only the Iron Maiden song completed.  In Rock Band, it just started playing, but so far the songs aren't terribly challenging, though I tend to enjoy the songs themselves more than in GH.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 09:25:23 PM »

Quote from: ATB on November 27, 2007, 09:20:24 PM

I find myself to be a medium ace who can 5 star a few hard songs.  Beyond that I just can't move my hands fast enough or hit the bottom fret chords easily while moving my hand down the neck...

That is exactly what I am.  I get lost in alot of the solos on hard unless I practice them for a while. But I can 5 star just about every song on medium on the 1st run through. 
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 09:28:45 PM by denoginizer » Logged

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 09:28:24 PM »

I can get through all of the hard songs and some of the expert songs.  5 star them?  Eh, who has the time for that kinda practice....

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 09:34:04 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on November 27, 2007, 09:23:22 PM

There wasn't quite an option to fit me in that I always play on Expert, but I can't 5 star them all. 

That's why 'or come close' is a parenthetical thought in the choice. 

Grue fail English? That's unpossible. retard
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 09:37:56 PM »

I went with "Medium to Hard.  Medium is a tad too easy. Hard a tad too hard."  I really enjoy playing the first few tiers of Guitar Hero II on Hard and do quite well.  I've 5-starred all of the first three or four sets.  But the later tiers were a nightmare.  I got through them, but 5-starring them is beyond impossible.  On Medium I have a blast, play well, and can still ham it up in my living room by dropping to my knees, lying on my back, or jumping off of furniture.  

In Guitar Hero 3 I can 5-star any song on my first playthrough on Medium, but Hard is just an exercise in frustration.  The later tiers are tough, but doable, and the slight increase in Medium difficulty made GH3 a little more fun for me to play.  Medium felt more "realistic".  But Hard is bollocks.

For Rock Band I've only played the drums and am trying to get through on Easy.   icon_eek  The drums are much harder than I had originally anticipated, and it's going to take some practice for me to get back to my Medium sweet spot, but like with Guitar Hero, in time I should be able to move up and improve.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 09:42:39 PM »

Quote from: ATB on November 27, 2007, 09:34:04 PM

Quote from: The Grue on November 27, 2007, 09:23:22 PM

There wasn't quite an option to fit me in that I always play on Expert, but I can't 5 star them all.

That's why 'or come close' is a parenthetical thought in the choice. 

Grue fail English? That's unpossible. retard

Must have missed that smile

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2007, 10:09:55 PM »

I've never managed to bridge the gap to 5 buttons.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2007, 10:15:46 PM »

I'm pretty good.  Was able to 5-star everything but the last couple Expert tiers on GH1 & 2.  Also completed everything but Raining Blood and the final boss battle on GH3 on my first run through.

I'm decent on RB drums (helps that I've played drums IRL), but have so far hit the wall on the 5th Expert tier.  frown

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Loomi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2007, 10:41:26 PM »

I'm a notch below Gratch.  I can 5-star everything on hard without too much trouble.  I have most of GH2 5-starred on expert, but there are about 5 or 6 songs that I'll likely never be able to 5-star on expert. 

Haven't put too much time into RB yet because, but I was able to beat And Justice For All and Blackened on guitar first try on Expert.  Ride The Lightning is still a no-go; the beginning of the solo takes me out.

XBL Gamertag: Loomi 360
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2007, 10:59:56 PM »

I went with the hard to expert. But expert on RB isn't that difficult. I don't really care too much about grinding stars as much as i care to just have fun.
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2007, 11:28:24 PM »

I play on Expert, but the last 5 songs needed to complete the game always give me troubles and I actually have to practice them to complete them, other than that I can usually whip through any song o hard or expert.
so i selected hard to expert on the poll.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2007, 11:29:13 PM »

I can do at least the first few songs on Expert and I'm about done with Hard career in GH3 but Raining Blood is giving me nightmares.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2007, 11:37:20 PM »

medium seems to be my sweet spot.  my hands just don't do the fast fret work very well.  i end up with a faster pace than the game and miss notes. 

i never did very well on hard in gh2, and i haven't had time to try it yet in rb.  not sure where i'll end up just yet as medium definitely feels easier for me to 5 star.  somewhere between 4 and 5 stars average is where i'm happy.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2007, 11:41:23 PM »

I'm new to the series and am currently trying to beat Lou on Medium in GH3. Easy is too easy for me now and I enjoy Medium. I much prefer Medium in GH2 to GH3 though. I haven't given Hard a try in either one yet, not sure if I'll be able to wrap my brain around adding that fifth button.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2007, 11:45:54 PM »

Yeah to add, that 5th button just ruins me.  I could deal with a setting between medium and hard that still used 4 buttons, but was faster or something.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2007, 01:55:24 AM »

I'm the same camp as coop and leo - just can't seem to get the hang of that fifth button. Having seen the Rock Band guitar, I'm guessing/hoping that transition will be made easier by the new guitar.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2007, 02:07:11 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on November 27, 2007, 11:45:54 PM

Yeah to add, that 5th button just ruins me.  I could deal with a setting between medium and hard that still used 4 buttons, but was faster or something.

Keep at it. You will build dexerity over time and it'll become second nature. Trust me I know how you feel. I use to say there's no way in hell I'm ever going to play on expert. Just keep practicing, don't get discouraged. Use practice mode as you can't fail a song. Remember, it's easier to slide up than down. I guess my "home row" keys are red-orange. Sometimes it's easier to tap the green. Your pointer finger has more strength anyways. Fast parts ALWAYS hammer on the note if you can. Like in Enter Sandman, I hammer on the orange note instead of strumming.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2007, 02:46:15 AM »

I swear- i cannot figure out hammeron's and pull offs.

It's like if I don't strum for each note I lose all sense of timing.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2007, 02:53:18 AM »

I'm with you, ATB!

Med to Hard.

Med is easy. Hard is panic inducing!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2007, 02:58:52 AM »

I'm OK with hammer-ons. 

It's the pull-offs that give me trouble. I always fail to see them coming and forget to cover the buttons before they get there. I usually just end up dragging my finger over the buttons and hoping for the best.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2007, 04:04:07 AM »

You dont actually have to ho/po like on a real guitar. just strum the first note and goto town. if you do miss a note you will have to restrum, however.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2007, 04:22:34 AM »

Hard to Expert

i've beaten GH2 on hard and almost made it to the final tier on expert...five-starred all but the last couple songs on hard, and quite a few on expert as well.  i've played GH3 enough to beat every song except 'Raining Blood' (and the Lou battle) on hard, five-starred most of them along the way, and i'm over halfway through expert so far.  now that i'm playing Rock Band, i've 5-starred all but two songs on my way to the final set on hard...haven't tried the last group of songs yet.  RB is definitely easier than GH3, and i'm guessing i'll be able to do pretty well on RB expert once i start...that's on hold until i spend some time learning the drums though icon_cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2007, 04:49:16 AM »

GH3 is my first GH game and I've had it for just about a week.  I've been playing on medium and I find that I can 4-star most songs and I have a few 5 stars as well.  Haven't even tried hard yet.

SpicyJ
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2007, 07:24:04 AM »

Expert.

Witness Fretmute's and mine back-and-forth battles in GH2 for the 360. smile

However, were you to make a post about vocal/drumming skills in RB, I think I would have to answer much lower. biggrin

GT/OO Weight Loss Tracker: http://www.jxprime.net/WeightTracker
Jocke
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2007, 10:43:42 AM »

My first taste of guitarhero was on saturday with GH3 on PS3 at friends house. Sunday I felt the need to play this game more and monday I broke down and bought it for my Wii.
Played two nights and right now trying to beat Rock and Roll all night on medium. The transition from easy is shockingly hard.

But my motivation is high thanks too my buddy who is rapidly improving. I want to keep up but that ratfaced bastard;) of a friend plays the guitar so I consider myself at a handicap.

Find HO/OP very hard to do. Even when I try to do it I strum without thinking about it.

Really having a blast with the game though.
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2007, 04:28:43 PM »

Where's the option for "I like girls."?

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2007, 05:23:00 PM »

Quote from: CrayolaSmoker on November 28, 2007, 01:55:24 AM

I'm the same camp as coop and leo - just can't seem to get the hang of that fifth button. Having seen the Rock Band guitar, I'm guessing/hoping that transition will be made easier by the new guitar.

I actually think it's harder with that guitar, although I've had limited experience. Sometimes it's harder to figure out where your hand is without looking, and I've definately had my hand trying to push down the imaginary sixth button that doesn't exist.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: