http://gamingtrend.com
April 21, 2014, 12:52:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is Your Game of the Year?  (Read 4208 times)
QP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2007, 01:09:45 PM »

Titan Quest: Immortal Throne, it's probably the only game I'll still possibly be playing this time next year.  It basically polished TQ to near-perfection.

-QP
Currently Playing:
[PC]Oblivion Again (OOO this time)
rickfc
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2007, 05:07:03 PM »

I got my 360 this year, so I started playing Gears of War this year.  Had it been released this year, it would have been my GOTY, hands down.  That being said, I'd have to say that Rock Band is my GOTY.  I was not a big fan of any of the Guitar Hero games, so this game wasn't even in my "buy" list.  That changed quickly after I played it at Th'Fool's house, and it has dominated my playing time ever since.  The drums are about as fun as fun can get. 
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2007, 05:48:55 PM »

shin megami tensei: persona 3

runner-up: ratchet & clank future

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2007, 04:23:49 PM »

Goat of the year thread is rapidly outpacing this one.

My game of the year: The Witcher

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2007, 11:04:29 PM »

I haven't played a lot of the AAA games people are mentioning in here, and I hesitate to name anything "Game of the Year", but the ones I played the most and had the most fun with this year would be Crackdown, DiRT and Stuntman: Ignition.  Stuntman was the biggest surprise and just so much fun from beginning to end with that aspect that made you want to do just one more run to get a better score. 

EDIT: Oh, and Rock Band is pretty damn sweet, too.  Certainly if I knew more people to play with in person I'd love it even more.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2007, 03:09:44 AM »

Quote from: Hotfreak on December 19, 2007, 04:23:49 PM

Goat of the year thread is rapidly outpacing this one.

Time for a thread of the year post.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2007, 05:58:35 AM »

fwiw, Gamespy in its infinite wisdom (not?) gave its XBox360 and PS3 Game of the Year awards to Call of Duty 4.
http://goty.gamespy.com/2007/index.html

I think more telling though is that the Gamer's Choice voting went for Mass Effect (Xbox360) and Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (PS3), and COD4 got nothing at all in the gamers' voting. Sometimes game reviewer sites are out of touch with The People perhaps? smile
http://goty.gamespy.com/2007/gamerschoice/14.html

But wait, this is  what is my game of the year. I'm mostly a PC gamer so I can only chip on PSP.

I think 10 nominees as Gamespy is rather excessive. I'd go with 5, like the Oscars smile
Nominees:
-Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions
-Jeanne D'Arc
-SOCOM: Tactical Strike
-Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow
-Warhammer 40,000: Squad Command (seriously flawed, but I'd love to see a deeper followup)

And my winner is... *opens envelope*...
SOCOM: Tactical Strike

Why? Well, FFT: WoL is a jazzed up version of a 10 year old Playstation game. Jeanne D'Arc is fun, and yet everyone's quick to point out its relative lack of depth compared to FFT (you can find boards of threads based on arguing this point  ninja). Logan's Shadow is a followup to a good game. Warhammer 40K: Squad Command has a great idea with its destructible environments and brisk turn-based play but turns out too shallow for its own good with strangely obstructed camera views (how about some transparent environment pieces?) and not enough unit configurability or growth, presumably in an effort to be a pick up and play handheld game. I throw it on there cause I enjoyed the demo, and it feels like a game that deserves a more ambitious sequel.

SOCOM: Tactical Strike takes big chances on breaking the mold of a successful series (including what I'd argue are two mostly so-so PSP titles that survived on their multiplayer in spite of disappointing single player experiences). It's deep, it's tactical, it's got a very snazzy interface and excellent graphics, great sound and voice work, and it isn't really like any other game out there (I don't really buy the comparisons to Full Spectrum Warrior which is a far larger-scale game). I could tell just from interviews that the dev team was genuinely passionate about the game and the PSP, and was not "phoning in a port" as several games on my "most disappointing" list seemed to be.

I'm hoping the playable demo (now #1 downloaded demo at the Playstation store) will help the game get some retail sales going. smile Anyway, there's my out of left field choice, cause every gaming news site is going to give the PSP award to one of the two turn-based JRPGs. I might as well think outside the box instead. smile There are numerous other games that got fine reviews that I didn't play, so take that into consideration. Few of the gaming news sites agree with me (review scores for SOCOM: Tactical Strike have been modest most places). I swim upstream.  icon_wink

I do think all 5 of the titles (even the warts and all Warhammer game) are pretty good games to show a new PSP owner in terms of what's fun on the system, and for the most part unique to it. It doesn't have to be a system you only play Home Brew titles on, or tired PS2 ports. You can enjoy some fresh titles that make good use of the hardware.

And I like to add...

Most Disappointing PSP Games disgust):
-Alien Syndrome (Larry Holland deserves a better fate than making something so repetitive as this; I got some fun out of it in spite of it all)
-Dungeon & Dragon Tactics (too sluggish, too much inventory micromanagement and tedium, too little fun - a heartbreaking disappointment when so many people were excited about it pre-release)
-SWAT: Target Liberty (oh the horrors... don't get me started)
-Star Wars Battlefront Renegade Squadron (some fun in multiplayer but mediocre graphics and not much point in single player)
-Rainbow Six Vegas/Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 1 & 2 (remove all the squad sensibilities and depth from the superior PC/console versions of these games, and these "quick to the used game shelves at EB" routine shooter titles are what you get; Ubisoft should be embarrassed, imho -- if this is the best they can do on PSP, they shouldn't bother, as these kinds of titles don't help the case for wanting a PSP).

Most Promising Year 2008 PSP Titles
-God of War: Chains of Olympus (a lot of people say they'd buy a PSP just to play this)
-Pursuit Force: Extreme Justice (this vehicular, leaping from cars, combat followup is already out in the UK to modest reviews, but is apparently getting multiplayer and some massaging for the U.S. release next year)
-Patapon (bizarre mix of Elite Beat Agents, The Lemmings and LocoRoco that's gradually snowballing quite a bit of buzz because it's just so confounding to describe or understand smile)

Most Badly Needed Sequel
-Killzone: Liberation 2 (not in the cards due to Guerilla's total focus on Killzone 2 for PS3  crybaby)

To be honest, I'm a little concerned about the PSP picture in 2008, after such a terrific 2007. Maybe it's just early, but I don't see a lot of high profile PSP titles on the 2008 release date calendars I've looked at.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 06:02:23 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Meltdown (Steam early access)
-Running With Soldiers (Steam early access)
-Breach & Clear
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2007, 06:51:21 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on December 26, 2007, 05:58:35 AM

I think more telling though is that the Gamer's Choice voting went for Mass Effect (Xbox360) and Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (PS3), and COD4 got nothing at all in the gamers' voting. Sometimes game reviewer sites are out of touch with The People perhaps? smile
I'd say it's more a case of the fanboys voting for the most-likely-to-win exclusive.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2007, 01:22:46 PM »

Quote from: Laner on December 26, 2007, 06:51:21 AM

Quote from: Blackjack on December 26, 2007, 05:58:35 AM

I'd say it's more a case of the fanboys voting for the most-likely-to-win exclusive.

At least half the people in this thread have voted for COD4 blackjack-maybe its not them that are out of touch?
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2007, 05:13:19 PM »

Quote from: The Grue
Bioshock - I am up to the point where you have to gather stuff to make something (don't want to spoil things) and I just haven't been motivated to do this actual thing.  I really love the art style of the game and the feel of it and it is totally right up my alley, but I am not playing it.

This is exactly where I stopped playing too. I wandered around the immediate area where I was given that particular task for about fifteen minutes and only found like two bits of the stuff I needed, got annoyed and just quit. Haven't touched it since.

My GOTY is CoD4. No contest.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 05:15:21 PM by Thin_J » Logged

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 26, 2007, 05:23:36 PM »

My Goty COD4 the single player is pretty good MP is outstanding.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: December 26, 2007, 06:21:40 PM »

Is COD4 still on sale anywhere?  I'd love to pick it up for $40 or whatever. 

Nevermind, I just found it on Amazon for $37.  Can't beat that for a recently released 360 GOTY candidate!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 06:25:34 PM by EngineNo9 » Logged

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 26, 2007, 06:50:40 PM »

It just price-dropped to $40 at GameStop, as well.

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 26, 2007, 07:06:09 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on December 26, 2007, 06:50:40 PM

already?  wow, that was quick.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 26, 2007, 07:15:57 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 26, 2007, 07:06:09 PM

already?  wow, that was quick.

It's a temporary, post Holiday price drop. They have been aggressively dropping prices for short periods of time to further spur the so far outstanding sales. Personally, I think they are doing a great job of creating opportunities for people on the fence to get this game on the relatively cheap, and it can only help their sales in the long run. Seriously, this is a game every 360 owner should have.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: December 26, 2007, 07:19:18 PM »

Hmm, I just looked on their website and it still shows $59.99 to me.  I checked there because if it was on sale in stores I'd much rather just go pick it up down the road than wait for it in the mail. 

Ah, I looked on their Weekly Ads and it's the PS3 version on sale only.  Boo. 

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 26, 2007, 07:49:13 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on December 26, 2007, 07:19:18 PM

Hmm, I just looked on their website and it still shows $59.99 to me.  I checked there because if it was on sale in stores I'd much rather just go pick it up down the road than wait for it in the mail. 

Ah, I looked on their Weekly Ads and it's the PS3 version on sale only.  Boo. 

Yeah.  Gamestop is PS3 only at that price.

Best Buy has the 360 version for $37.99 I believe. 

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: December 26, 2007, 07:59:24 PM »

Cripes, I was just in Best Buy today and they had it marked for $60 so I didn't even bother to ask if it was still on sale.  Oh, well.  I'll get it cheap one way or another. 

To avoid further derailing, I will also edit to say that it's also on sale for $37 at Target until Saturday.  I just broke down and bought it there and will return my Amazon copy when it comes.  Viva la day off!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 09:23:31 PM by EngineNo9 » Logged

pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 26, 2007, 08:32:08 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on December 26, 2007, 07:59:24 PM

Cripes, I was just in Best Buy today and they had it marked for $60 so I didn't even bother to ask if it was still on sale.  Oh, well.  I'll get it cheap one way or another. 

When I bought mine on Monday it was marked as $60 but ran up $37.99

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2008, 10:50:34 PM »

Ok I know this is super late, but I didn't have a PS3 last year and so I replied that COD4 was my GOTY.  Well forget that.  Uncharted is not only my GOTY, it's quite possibly the most impressive game I've ever played.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2008, 11:14:37 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on March 04, 2008, 10:50:34 PM

Ok I know this is super late, but I didn't have a PS3 last year and so I replied that COD4 was my GOTY.  Well forget that.  Uncharted is not only my GOTY, it's quite possibly the most impressive game I've ever played.

Hehe. How far into it are you? I felt the same way but a bit of that wore off when I got later into the game.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2008, 11:47:54 PM »

The more I think on it, Uncharted just might be my favorite game of the generation so far. 
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2008, 12:07:25 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on March 04, 2008, 11:14:37 PM

Hehe. How far into it are you? I felt the same way but a bit of that wore off when I got later into the game.

According to my save file, I'm 55% in.  I know there are some flaws, but man oh man, what a complete package.
somoflange
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2008, 12:32:25 AM »

The vehicle segment in Uncharted is by far the most fun I've had in a game in a long time. There was nothing difficult about it, it didn't have any real redeeming values even, but the production values were so great it was kinda like riding a roller coaster. I was just fun to watch and interact with, and usually that type of thing bores me.

One of the rare times I'm really looking forward to the sequel.

PSN: plantatreeforlee
Live: blastdsamoflanj
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2008, 01:29:41 AM »

really enjoyed it (tho not the lead character so much)... but i gotta admit, the 'racial' aspect of u:df that zero punctuation mentions in his (somewhat spoilerish) review really jumped out at me (not the most sensitive of guys) almost immediately, as well. in the context of such a 'cool' game, it felt weirdly... anachronistic...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2008, 01:34:07 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on March 04, 2008, 11:47:54 PM

The more I think on it, Uncharted just might be my favorite game of the generation so far. 

You know, I'm curious how far folks are as well.  I picked up Uncharted last week, even though the general consensus I'd read on a bunch of sites is that it opens great and then goes downhill from there. 

I started to feel that way a little bit too once I first hit the island, but to be honest I felt like it's picked up again quite a bit and has really been enjoyable.  I just keep waiting with a sense of dread to hit a point where it's going to start to be boring/frustrating, but so far it just hasn't happened yet.
Oh, and for reference I'm:
Spoiler for Hiden:
near the end of the second jetski section.

Oh and add me to the list of folks that loved the on-rails jeep segment

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2008, 01:55:23 AM »

Quote from: Dimmona on March 05, 2008, 01:34:07 AM

You know, I'm curious how far folks are as well.  I picked up Uncharted last week, even though the general consensus I'd read on a bunch of sites is that it opens great and then goes downhill from there. 

I started to feel that way a little bit too once I first hit the island, but to be honest I felt like it's picked up again quite a bit and has really been enjoyable.  I just keep waiting with a sense of dread to hit a point where it's going to start to be boring/frustrating, but so far it just hasn't happened yet.
Spoiler for Hiden:

I'm about where you are.  I think the game is good but I don't like how it seems to take 10 bullets to kill guys who aren't wearing armor.  Also put me in the minority who didn't like the jeep and jet ski portions.  I know it's trival but the necklace Nathan wears bugs the hell out of me.  I hate how it doesn't dangle when he moves or is hanging from ledges.  Why put it on him if it looks so much like it is painted onto his shirt? It's a little thing, but for some reason it bugs the heck out of me. I'd give Uncharted a B+ so far.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 01:57:30 AM by denoginizer » Logged

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2008, 02:15:57 AM »

Quote from: Dimmona on March 05, 2008, 01:34:07 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Generally those who feel the game takes a turn downward near the end don't feel it because it's boring but more because of an event that occurs. 

This event occurs in Chapter (just the chapter number below):

Spoiler for Hiden:
16 or 17

Personally, I didn't mind it in the slightest for reasons I elaborated on in the official thread.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2008, 02:36:06 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on March 05, 2008, 12:07:25 AM

Quote from: Ridah on March 04, 2008, 11:14:37 PM

I know there are some flaws, but man oh man, what a complete package.

That's exactly what your mom said to me the other night!

But seriously, there was a lot to like about Uncharted and I loved the ICO vibe I got from the game in some areas. Not to mention the camera angles, which blew me away a few times. My only gripe were a few combat spots which I found particularly frustrating but other than that loved every second.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 02:38:29 AM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2008, 02:12:03 PM »

Sorry. Voting is closed.  For the record, COD4 IS your game of the year.

Tongue

IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 05, 2008, 02:15:07 PM »

I don't think I've posted here yet.  For the record, my console and overall GOTY is Call of Duty 4.

My PC GOTY is World in Conflict.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 05, 2008, 08:06:02 PM »

Quote from: ATB on March 05, 2008, 02:12:03 PM

Sorry. Voting is closed.  For the record, COD4 IS your game of the year.

Tongue

/hiss!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 05, 2008, 09:28:17 PM »

Uncharted is easily one of the 2 or 3 best games of this "new-generation". Its probably my GOTY, but I am not sure. It's a frigging genius game.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: