http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 01:07:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is Your Game of the Year?  (Read 4206 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: December 15, 2007, 03:16:48 PM »

Still two weeks until 2008, but I don't really see any major contenders on GT's release calendar so why no do this now (no offense if the game you're waiting for is on that list).

Obviously, there's a chance you haven't finished your GOTY yet, but that's a risk I'm willing to take.

My Nominees Are:

Bioshock-

This game deflated my expectations for Mass Effect (my most anticipated game ever) because it is so brilliant.  It's not perfect and it apes a lot from SS2, but it is a masterpiece without question.

Halo3-

I've written much about how the SP sucks beyond all measure and how the MP is brilliant beyond measure.  Bungie.net is the greatest game related website I've ever seen and I hope other MP games follow suit and build something as robust- though I bet it's hard as heck. 

GRAW2-

A great SP campaign and a fabulously fun MP mode that unfortunately devolves far too often into unpenetrable camping fits, this game was the first one (and thus far only one) to eclipse Gears of War on my number of days played list and the first game on the 360 that became a go to game- keeping new games on the shelf.  If I'd never played Halo3, I imagine I'd still be playing it almost daily.

Rockband-

So. Fun.  The drums are everything I wanted them to be and even though the game has sobered me up with regard to how uncoordinated I am and made me realize I have no musical talent whatsoever, it is Great. Fun.

Call of Duty 4-

One of the best SP campaigns I've ever played with some of the best SP levels I've ever played (A130, Ghellied Up, the one where you battle back down the hill to the helicopter) and the best MP experience I've ever had. I've not booted up Halo MP since and given my total and complete obsession with Halo that is saying something.

Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass

The best control scheme I've ever seen in any game ever.  It's perfect.  The game itself is charming, fun, witty, clever and it is second only to Elite Beat Agents as my favorite DS game ever.

Panzer Tactics

An underappreciated gem. Deep strategy. Great unit variety. Challenging AI.  Full online MP.  Not to be missed if you like TBS.

Puzzle Quest DS

By no means is this a perfect game but it has the kernel of what could become the perfect game. It's addiction in a game cartridge.

And the winner is:

Spoiler for Hiden:
COD4:

I think it has the greatest MP I've ever played and it is now my go to game. It keeps Mass Effect on the shelf. It keeps Rockband on the shelf. It has kept Halo on the shelf since its purchase.  It for me is the best game of the year.

Close Runner Up:

Bioshock.  If I had not undergone the change this year, it would coast to victory. As such, it would still be the game I recommend to people as the one game they have to play this year.

Mass Effect is missing from this list because other games have kept it on the shelf and my desire for it was significantly reduced with the amazing game through and through that Bioshock is.  It could shake things up (I'm about 2 hrs into it) and I reserve the right to do so smile
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 03:23:41 PM by ATB » Logged
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 03:19:32 PM »

My frontrunners are:

-  Jeanne D'Arc
-  Mass Effect
-  Rock Band
-  Final Fantasy Tactics:  War of the Lions
-  Puzzle Quest

Haven't decided yet which one takes the cake.  Gives me something to think about today.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 03:33:12 PM »

Console: Mass Effect
Handheld: Puzzle Quest

Ruining language with my terrible words.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 04:05:17 PM »

I've had a great time with Mass Effect.  I'm finishing my 2nd playthrough (this time on Hardcore difficulty) and can honestly say I'll probably play it through a 3rd time.

It scratches my itch for a sci-fi RPG and it gets mega-bonus points because it doesn't have "Star" in the title.
davidf
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 04:13:53 PM »

• Sins of a Solar Empire Beta
  • Galactic Civilizations II (mods not the core game)
  • NWN2 Expasion I suppose

I'm pretty sure Mass Effect would have topped my list if released for the PC smile I discovered the Fall this year as well, which was like a breath of fresh air, but its actually a few years old. Also discovered Space Rangers 2 early this year and was also awesome, but also pretty sure that was also released last year. Actually a dearth of good games for me this year. No ones making detailed immersive strategy games, or in depth RPGs. I'm worried its time to find another hobby
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 04:44:08 PM by davidf » Logged
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 04:18:45 PM »

Bioshock for me.  It's rare that I finish a game, period.  And when I do, it usually takes months.  I played through Bioshock twice in a two week period, which pretty much says it all.

Portal was very cool, but too short to be considered, IMO.

Crackdown was very very good, but didn't have a lot of staying power once you won the campaign.  Yeah, you could go back and try to find all the orbs or get all the achievements, but it was just MOTS.

COD4 is a late contender... I didn't start playing it until last week, but the campaign is great (the end of Act I... wow.  I had nightmares afterwards.), and I racked up seven hours of MP.  Yesterday.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 05:56:24 PM by Laner » Logged
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2007, 04:30:14 PM »

My nominees would be:

Rock Band (despite the fact that every piece of equipment besides the microphone has broken on me) - Actually, the fact that I have had my third piece of equipment fail and yet I am not pissed to all hell really says something about the game.  When my bass drum pedal broke last night I was so sad because I had just gotten into a band online and it died in the middle of our song.

CoD4 - I picked this up because it was $40 at Circuit City one week.  I have bought a ton of games recently and one night I popped in the single player and it didn't do much for me, for some reason.  The other night I played multiplayer.  Oh my god!  I am not that into online FPS multiplayer at all.  CoD4 makes me addicted though and I can tell you exactly what it is:  the character development system.  Always giving me little goals perfectly fits my personality and is the reason I am always so into MMORPGs.  It is this perfect marriage of an FPS and an MMORPG and it just clicks with me.  Even though I am not that great, I still love playing it because I can't wait to unlock that next thing and go up a rank.

Super Mario Galaxy - This game is just pure fun.  One thing I love about it is the bite-sized level design.  If I don't have much time, I can pop in and complete a galaxy.  If I have more time, I can complete a bunch.  I love the designs of the galaxies and the whole concept in general.  It's the typical Nintendo genius where a kid could play it and beat it by just doing the minimum levels, but if you want depth, it is there because you can try to collect all the stars for each galaxy, which becomes a much more difficult task.

Orange Box - I didn't play HL2 when it came out on PC, despite loving HL, because I had stopped playing PC games, with the exception of MMOs.  So, when HL2 came out onto the 360, I jumped at the chance to play.  Depsite a less-than-stellar start to the game (the first 4 hours was me running away form the baddies and it just got old), the game was a blast to play.  Add in the two episodes and the story and gameplay just because incredible.  Then, for the icing on the cake (see what I did there?), there was Portal.  Wow.  I absolutely loved the experience, as short as it was.  The writing was great ad the way it all plays out was priceless.

Winner:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Not sure I can decide.  Oh, I have to pick?  Well, I guess I have to go with the one I have absolutely no problems with: Super Mario Galaxy.  Orange Box had that slow start, Rock Band probably would have won if not for the broken peripherals, and CoD4's single player didn't grab me.  I have nothing bad to say about Super Mario Galaxy.  A winner is it.

Very Honorable Mentions:

Uncharted Drake's Fortune - Extreme polish with the dialogue and cutscenes.  Not sure why I like it so much, but I do.
Zack and Wiki - Very cool game that is fun and uses waggle in interesting ways.
Eye of Judgment - Very cool technology, though it pisses me off because I can't always seem to get the lighting right to play it.  Game is fun to play, though.
Assassin's Creed - Love the story behind it and the sandbox gameplay is very interesting.
Ratchet and Clank - Series never disappoints.
Metroid Prime Corruption - More Metroid FPS goodness.

Games I thought would be my GoTY, but I don't think are:

Mass Effect - I have been one of the people trumpeting this game and anticipating it so much.  I have played it a few nights and it just isn't pulling me in.  It just seems to start slow and I have other games which distract me so that I don't come back to it.  I have a feeling it will be a great game once I figure out what the heck is going on and get things going (I am at the Citadel for the first time and thought I had launched things off by visiting the tower, but I still can't get on my shp, so I must have some unfinished business).  I also don't really have any clue about how I should outfit my teammates...it just doesn't click for me like KOTOR did, for example.

Bioshock - I am up to the point where you have to gather stuff to make something (don't want to spoil things) and I just haven't been motivated to do this actual thing.  I really love the art style of the game and the feel of it and it is totally right up my alley, but I am not playing it.

Oh, last but not least, handhelds - This one is really easy and I don't need to think about it like I did the home console one.......Phantom Hourglass.  THe only knock I can give it is that dungeon you have to revisit a few times through the game.  Other than that, the game was perfect.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
davidf
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2007, 04:42:39 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on December 15, 2007, 04:30:14 PM

Bioshock - I am up to the point where you have to gather stuff to make something (don't want to spoil things) and I just haven't been motivated to do this actual thing.  I really love the art style of the game and the feel of it and it is totally right up my alley, but I am not playing it.

For me Bioshock was too steamlined, it felt too 'consolized' for lack of a better term. However, i can relate. Witcher should have been a title that grabbed me, a deep rpg, elric like setting,,,should have been a winner, instead it feels like work just getting to chapter 2. Everyone says it gets way better there, I'm just not patient enough to make it there so far.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2007, 04:48:23 PM »

Hands down for me - Uncharted.

gellar
Pong
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2007, 06:44:19 PM »

Ratchet & Clank : TOD

/end thread  icon_smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2007, 06:57:16 PM »

I'll wait for the official GT threads and hope the final figures don't take forever  icon_twisted

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2007, 08:14:09 PM »

Easy.

M     A     S     S          E     F     F     E     C     T

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
KC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2007, 08:15:44 PM »

Console: Mass Effect
Handheld: Jeanne D'Arc
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2007, 08:51:14 PM »

This list is some candidates as well as those that haven't been played enough to decide, so its a preliminary list, in no order.

Candidates:
Mass Effect
COD4
GRAW2

TBD/Candidates:
Ratchet and Clank
Uncharted
The Witcher

Games I am most unsure about:
Heavenly Sword
Bioshock
Halo 3

Biggest Dissapointment: Did DQ8 come out this year? I am still bummed about that game. No seriously, probably Eternal Sonata.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2007, 09:15:38 PM »

*1. Portal - I know it's recently after I've beaten the game (twice now), but I didn't expect this.  This game has sort of taken a hold of my life and it's an amazing step forward in innovation as well as writing and story-telling.
2. Super Mario Galaxy - My declared "game of the forever" has lost its top spot.  Almost all of the 101 stars that I managed to grab while completing the game were extremely fun to get.  It's a Mario game...but it's brilliantly conceived, imaginative and fun-to-play Mario game.
3. Assassin's Creed - I loved the story, and the gameplay just clicked for me.  It was really perfect in a couple of aspects; stealthy, but not too stealthy, sandbox but not too sandbox.
4. Warhawk - It took me 20 hours to get used to the ground combat, but this game offers an amazing multiplayer experience.
5. Eye of Judgment - It has a shocking amount of depth for a game only on its first release of cards.  I'm looking forward to hopefully added multiplayer features and the next expansion.
6. Halo 3 - Take the Halo formula, add a shiny gloss of high-definition.  Kudos to the online co-op and theater features.
7. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune - This one did everything well, but it only excelled in non-gameplay (music and jaw-dropping graphics).  I'll be picking the sequel first day.
8. MLB Power Pros - I LOVE how I can play a very nice game of baseball in 20 minutes. 
9. Everyday Shooter - From a genre that I'm not a fan of, this one came out of left-field.  I enjoy the ambiance and variance.
10. NBA 2k8 - Oh, NBA 2k series.  Why do we keep giving you a free pass?  The gameplay itself is fine, but it's been this way for a few years now.  Please make an effort for NBA 2k9.

* I don't count The Orange Box because it includes games not originally released in 2007.  Portal was first released in 2007.

I have yet to play the following and anticipate them maybe bumping off some games off my list:
Ratchet and Clank Tools of Destruction
Heavenly Sword
Call of Duty 4
Persona 3
God of War 2
Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow
Crush

Honorable Mention:

Unreal Tournament 3 - Kind of like Halo 3.  Didn't really add anything to the series fundamentally, but still a very solid game.  Mod support is going to feed content for this one for years.
Motorstorm - There's a really well-designed racing engine here that I look forward to seeing them expand and tweak into a great game for Motorstorm 2.
MLB 07: The Show - My first real jump into the franchise.  I enjoyed my time with it, and all signs point to MLB 08: The Show taking the crown next year.

Disappointmens:

Jeanne D'Arc - No disrespect to those who enjoyed it, but it felt like SRPG-lite and I couldn't get into the story whatsoever.
Hotel Dusk: Room 215 - What could have been a fantastic game was ruined by the fact you had to do one thing, and after, in a certain order.  I'm talking totally unrelated things, shot-in-the-dark things.
Winning Eleven: Pro Evolution Soccer 2007 - The beautiful engine that fueled WE9 was thrown away and replaced by crap in the first "next-gen" game for this franchise.
Meteos: Disney Magic - Thanks for not even using Disney songs nor offering online play.
Lair - I honestly felt like those that said the dragon didn't control well were entirely off the mark.  The gameplay was extremely tedious and dull, though.
Mass Effect - Granted, I was only hyped for this one a week before release, but ick.  I guess RPG fans really do look past the horrid combat for a good story.

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2007, 09:46:00 PM »

I think it's Portal for me, as well. 

With Bioshock probably taking second.

Super Mario Galaxy
Assassin's Creed
Rock Band
Call of Duty 4

may all be tied for third.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2007, 10:12:04 PM »

Bioshock

With Assassins Creed a CLOSE second.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2007, 11:59:32 PM »

I haven't tried several of the big blockbusters yet; Assassins Creed, Mass Effect, or CoD4.  So with that out of the way, mine is:

Bioshock

Simon

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2007, 12:04:13 AM »

Bioshock is my game of the year with Assassin's Creed a reasonably close second followed by Gears of War. I loved pretty much every minute of all three games. I haven't played Mass Effect yet though and I'd imagine it would probably be up there with these.
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2007, 02:02:19 AM »

Bioshock is mine but Call of Duty 4 is a VERY close second.

If Bioshock had a well executed multiplayer system, it might have been my choice for game of the DECADE.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2007, 02:02:55 AM »

Quote from: Simon on December 16, 2007, 12:04:13 AM

Bioshock is my game of the year with Assassin's Creed a reasonably close second followed by Gears of War. I loved pretty much every minute of all three games. I haven't played Mass Effect yet though and I'd imagine it would probably be up there with these.

Gears of War was a 2006 release so it probably gets excluded.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2007, 03:16:38 AM »

Quote from: jblank on December 16, 2007, 02:02:55 AM

Quote from: Simon on December 16, 2007, 12:04:13 AM

Gears of War was a 2006 release so it probably gets excluded.

Whoops, I'll switch GoW for Crackdown then.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2007, 04:58:41 AM »

1-COD4
2-mass effect
3-Bioshock
4-Assassins creed
5-Blue Dragon

must mention ...PGR4,crackdown,lost planet and overlord

biggest dissapointment of the year...call of juarez

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2007, 01:41:23 PM »

GOTY and possibly game of the last 3 or 4 years for me is Mass Effect.  Loved the combat, loved the story, great graphics, awesome dialog system.  I can't wait for Mass Effect 2.
Mookee
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2007, 02:14:44 PM »

Portal is easily the most fun I had with a game this year, so it wins (length be damned).
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2007, 02:26:00 PM »

Rock Band gets my vote.

It got my wife to play.  It got my daughter (3!) to play.  My son plays (no surprise, he loves video games), and I play (again, no surprise).

The track list is great.  Guitar is fun.  Singing is fun.

I can't wait until the standalone drums are available.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2007, 02:53:57 PM »

Have to give it to Bioshock.   Many very very very close seconds, but Bio gets the nod.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2007, 03:55:46 PM »

1. Call of Duty 4.
2. Bioshock.
3. Halo 3.
4. Ratchet and Clank.
5. Tie between Crackdown and Portal.

I haven't played enough of Uncharted, Assasins Creed, Team Fortress 2, Mass Effect, or Rock Band to include them yet.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2007, 04:13:09 PM »

1. COD4
2. Bioshock
3. Halo 3
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2007, 05:04:57 PM »

After much thought and deliberation, I'm going with Jeanne D'Arc as my GOTY, with Rock Band as a close second and Mass Effect as number 3.  When I think about it, I simply had more fun with Jeanne than anything else released this year.  isn't that really all that matters in the end?  Hell, Jeanne even got me to rebuy a system that I swore I would never spend money on again.  smile  Rock Band drums and vocals are fantastic, but I'm not crazy about either the lower guitar track difficulty or the guitar hardware itself.  Mass Effect had an incredible main storyline, but the same-y side missions got on my nerves after a while. 

Side note:  Jeanne is the best game I've played that came out this year, but certainly not the best I played overall.  That title would got to either Baldur's Gate II (PC), Dreamfall (PC), or Final Fantasy VI (GBA).  All three of these are heads and shoulders above anything that came out this year, imo.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2007, 05:43:01 PM »

Call of Duty 4  headbang

Damn near flawless in execution.  Just finished it on Veteran last week.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2007, 05:59:03 PM »

I would probably vote for Rock Band if I had it. But I don't. So my favorite game so far this year is....... Etrian Odyssey. I loved that sucker and played it more than any other game without question.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2007, 06:42:35 PM »

Such an unbelievably excellent year for games. Whithout a doubt my GOTY is:

Super Mario Galaxy.

With Super Smash Brothers Brawl being pushed to 2008, I don't see anything really changing my mind. What's amazing to me is how many close runner ups there are and just how close behind SMG they are. Here's my runner ups:

Bioshock
Metroid Prime 3
Mass Effect
LoZ:Phantom Houglass
Persona 3

I'd list Resident Evil 4 [Wii] as a runner up too, but that was my 2005 GOTY and it just doesn't seem right to include it again.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 06:47:05 PM by kronovan » Logged
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2007, 12:34:45 AM »

Bioshock by a mile.  Simply brilliant.

Runners up in order:
  • Rock Band
  • Orange Box
  • COD4
  • Halo 3
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 12:36:56 AM by Jancelot » Logged
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2007, 06:03:05 AM »

Call of Duty 4 for me, it made most other "next-gen" games feel like PS2/Xbox games. One of the only games I felt that utilized the power of these new sytems to deliver an experience impossible before now. That coupled with excellent multiplayer makes it an easy decision. Not to mention it was highly polished and ran smooth, a rarity in most games these days.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 06:07:00 AM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2007, 08:36:13 AM »

1.  COD4
2.  Bioshock
somoflange
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2007, 02:35:56 PM »

My list is pretty short.

Resident Evil 4 (wii)
Uncharted
Ratchet & Clank
Portal

I loved all of these games so much I couldn't stop playing them, and finished each in under a week. I just don't do that, so these games were pretty amazing.

They all have excellent replay value too, so once a few months have passed I look forward to playing them again with a fresh perspective.

I give the edge to Uncharted. It sets a pretty high bar for console games on the PS3. No loading times, shaders everywhere (no grainy texture maps), everything looked amazing. The story managed to take every cliche in the book and make it fresh. This is the PS3's Gears of War, as it shows other developers how it's done.

PSN: plantatreeforlee
Live: blastdsamoflanj
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2007, 05:57:05 PM »

I've played so many great games this year, so it's impossible to choose just one. I typically give my 'game of the year' nod to a game that changes the way I look at gaming, or sucks me in in a way I've never been sucked in before.

The most fun, and most time I've spent on a game is Catan. It's the most addicting thing I've played all year, and it made me buy the boardgame.

Portal was simply the most enjoyable three hours of gaming to be had. It was perfect in every sense of the word. But it's so short.

Bioshock was exciting and enjoyable, but there were so many little things about it that I just didn't enjoy that I can't give it 'game of the year'. The last boss battle was stupid. It was fantastic, but not 'game of the year' caliber.

Rock Band is fun. I am honestly surprised at how much I enjoy singing. I still wish the game registered the words that you said though. It's fun to be able to come up with weird-al-esque parodies of songs, I guess. I am also surprised at how little time I've spent playing the drums. (Because that drum kit is effing huge and takes up too much living room space. I have to bring in a dining room chair, bring the drum kit up from downstairs... and play maybe five to eight songs because I enjoy these games in small doses over many days, not tons all at once.) The guitar parts aren't anything new. And I'm pissed off at the incompatabilities between this and guitar hero three.

Ok. So...

Game of the year is Catan.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2007, 08:31:48 PM »

Assassin's Creed
Halo3
Crackdown
Bioshock

and COD4 is starting to pull me in.

Orange box was disappointing, but Portal is fun.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2007, 10:08:25 PM »

solid leaders:
cod 4.  memorable sp, perfect mp.  if i had an extra 2 hours to play, it would be this one
halo 3.  great mp, coop sp. had and will have a lot of fun in mp, even if i never advance rank
rock band.  my only regret is not having any local friends to play with on a regular basis.
smg.  everything i have seen about this is beautiful and a blast to play
loz:ph.  great controls, great gameplay, great graphics.  i can't find a major fault with it.

close, but not quite:
assassin's creed.  great in a lot of ways, mediocre in too many to be considered goty.  sequel gets an automatic upgrade to day one buy.

too early to tell between these ones
mass effect.  the issues are noticeable, and although i do enjoy it, i haven't felt the hooks to play it.
uncharted.  i'll be playing this as soon as i get it, which should be today or tomorrow.
r&c: tod.  from all respects, a perfect sequel to the series.  i look forward to getting this down the road.

i'd give the early lead to cod4.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: