http://gamingtrend.com
July 28, 2014, 04:36:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is your biggest disappointment / surprise game of the year?  (Read 2067 times)
PR_GMR
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2010, 10:33:59 PM »

Quote from: Dramatist on November 22, 2010, 10:27:12 PM

Biggest surprise.

Dragon Quest IX on the DS.  I never played any of these games before.  I sank 275 hours into the game which more than doubled any other hand held game I've ever played.  Very fun game.

Good Lord, I think I've put in about 9 hours.  icon_lol Gotta find the time to play this one more. Yeah, it's good.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2010, 10:45:18 PM »

275 hours?!

I don't think I've put that much time into my marriage.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2010, 10:52:28 PM »

Is that one playthrough?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2010, 11:27:43 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 22, 2010, 10:52:28 PM

Is that one playthrough?

Yep.  I'm still with my first wife.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2010, 11:31:19 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on November 22, 2010, 11:27:43 PM

Is that one playthrough?

Careful, I hear the trade in value gets worse the longer you wait  slywink. A friend went to trade his in after 5 years and only got enough credit to get one of the women from The View  unless he wanted to pay more.  Turns out the hot one was already taken.

Because I can,
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2010, 11:35:40 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 22, 2010, 11:31:19 PM

Quote from: denoginizer on November 22, 2010, 11:27:43 PM

Is that one playthrough?

Careful, I hear the trade in value gets worse the longer you wait  slywink. A friend went to trade his in after 5 years and only got enough credit to get one of the women from The View  unless he wanted to pay more.  Turns out the hot one was already taken.

(PR points denoginizer to the 'Have You Ever Cheated On Your Spouse?' thread)
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2010, 12:14:20 AM »

Biggest Disappointment: FF13.  I shouldn't have been caught by surprise, but I was.  Teen Angst has always been a stock in trade for Square Enix, but this game assaulted the player with it so much it was stifling.  Locking me into a dead linear path which made me question why am I even here...I can get a drinking bird to keep pressing the buttons to advance the story and it's horrible characters.  On the bright side, it probably cured me of buying FF games.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2010, 12:35:31 AM »

Quote from: Big Jake on November 23, 2010, 12:14:20 AM

Biggest Disappointment: FF13.  I shouldn't have been caught by surprise, but I was.  Teen Angst has always been a stock in trade for Square Enix, but this game assaulted the player with it so much it was stifling.  Locking me into a dead linear path which made me question why am I even here...I can get a drinking bird to keep pressing the buttons to advance the story and it's horrible characters.  On the bright side, it probably cured me of buying FF games.

I'd have to agree with this. I wanted SO much to like this game and I stuck through with it until the end, but between the linear story that pretty much spoon feeds you from point to point, and the weird combat engine, it didn't feel like a Final Fantasy game at all. There were a few good moments and the graphics are top notch, but I wanted something a little more traditional Final Fantasy.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2010, 04:08:41 AM »

I am so glad I resisted the new game allure and returned FFXIII instead of opening it.  I would have gven a week but knowing how much time I would have played it, I would have stalled out before passing the "endless canyon" stage. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2010, 12:20:22 PM »

As a counterpoint, I actually really enjoyed FFXIII.  Yes, it was completely linear but I knew that coming in so it didn't bother me.  Hell, the last 5 FF games (not counting the MMOs) have all been 100% linear, so it's not like that was a huge surprise or change for the series.  The "Paradigm" battle system was superb, and the story and characters really clicked with me.  In fact, I actually enjoyed the game significantly less once it opened up towards the end, as I thought the story lost a significant amount of momentum.

To each their own, I suppose.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2010, 09:39:33 PM »

Biggest Surprise: Blur
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2010, 09:42:18 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on November 23, 2010, 12:20:22 PM

As a counterpoint, I actually really enjoyed FFXIII.  Yes, it was completely linear but I knew that coming in so it didn't bother me.  Hell, the last 5 FF games (not counting the MMOs) have all been 100% linear, so it's not like that was a huge surprise or change for the series.  The "Paradigm" battle system was superb, and the story and characters really clicked with me.  In fact, I actually enjoyed the game significantly less once it opened up towards the end, as I thought the story lost a significant amount of momentum.

To each their own, I suppose.

Yeah the combat was great. Quite a few challenging fights as well. These days RPGs are becoming way too easy. so that was a nice breath of fresh air.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2010, 10:41:50 PM »

Biggest surprise.

Dragon Quest IX on the DS.  I never played any of these games before.  I sank 275 hours into the game which more than doubled any other hand held game I've ever played.  Very fun game.

icon_eek

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2010, 12:47:52 AM »

Biggest surprise.

That nearly triples the most time I've ever spent with a game in my entire life.  I can't even imagine spending that much time on one thing.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2010, 12:56:37 AM »

Gratch's total time spent on the forums: 1,991 hours
 icon_wink
osufan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2010, 01:40:20 AM »

Biggest surprise:  Enslaved

It did seem to kind of play itself too often, but I think some real talent went into making it.  Also surprised by how soon it hit the bargain bin, though, so maybe it's just me?
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2010, 02:38:53 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 24, 2010, 12:56:37 AM

Gratch's total time spent on the forums: 1,991 hours
 icon_wink

Well played, sir.

Dramatist
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2010, 05:12:01 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on November 24, 2010, 12:47:52 AM

Biggest surprise.

That nearly triples the most time I've ever spent with a game in my entire life.  I can't even imagine spending that much time on one thing.

It really boggles my mind as well as that triples anything else I've ever played.  It was mostly all endgame stuff.  I would just play grottos all the time until I just finally got tired of everything.  My hero was a revocated 3 times gladiator plus alot of everything else and my other 3 party members were lvl 99 in multiple classes.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2010, 04:35:04 AM »

This is an interesting question.  I've thought about it quite a lot over the last three weeks.

Disappointments are fairly rare.  Thanks to this forum, a couple gaming podcasts I listen to, and GiantBomb's Quick Looks, I'm pretty keyed into which games I'm going to enjoy.  It's not like it was before the internet, when I had to rely on the box shots to see what a game was like. icon_razz  Still, once in a while, something slips the net.

Disappointments

- Bayonetta -

This one had a good demo, good Quick Look, good buzz...and just wasn't for me.  Lots of sound and fury, but very little substance.  Maybe I just never got a total grasp on the combat system, but it was never really clear to me why I would sometimes get slaughtered, and other times completely decimate enemies without taking a hit.  I never knew if Witch Time would trigger when I wanted, or why it sometimes lasted longer than others, or why the attacks that worked so well before were totally ineffective on the replay.

The story grew wearisome, as well.  Where Ninja Gaiden offered just enough exposition to give you an excuse to hack bunches of dudes apart, Bayonetta's cutscenes can be five minutes or more of nonsense.  All the frenzied action and incomprehensible blather was cute at first, but as the game wore on, the craziness felt like a substitute for quality.  If you can't think of anything good, just put up the silliest things you can imagine.

It sounds pretty dire.  Bayonetta isn't a bad game, though; just disappointingly mediocre.

- The Force Unleashed II -

FU2 is an amazingly good-looking game.  Everything about the lighting, textures, and animation looks phenomenal.  It plays better than the first game, too: the saber swings are still a bit too floaty for my taste and there were a few moments when I had trouble throwing something towards the right target, but it feels much faster, more responsive, and more in line with the source material than the original.

The disappointment here is that there's not nearly enough of it.  I'm a pretty slow gamer and I finished the campaign during an otherwise busy weekend.  Playing on Hard.  Subtracting the occasional death, I'm not sure the whole game is much longer than four hours.  I don't think it was a lack of ambition, either: throughout the story, there are signs that large swaths of the planned campaign were torn out and the gaps hastily taped together with recycled content and some throwaway line of dialogue.  We're left with one-third of a full game, and given how well that part is done, it's pretty disappointing they lacked the time, funds, or talent to see it all the way through.

- Elemental: War of Magic -

I was hoping for a cross between the wizardry-themed empire building of Master of Magic and the challenging AI and customization options of Galactic Civilizations II: Twilight of the Arnor.  What I got was a ponderous, dreary mess that is only now, months after release, being patched into a playable state.  Good on Stardock for pushing ahead on their commitment rather than cutting their losses, but it's still one of the biggest gaming disappointments of 2010.

- Gratch Didn't Like Persona 3 -

Man, I really thought Gratch was going to like Persona 3!  He's been in such an RPG funk, I thought P3's quirky characters, monster-fusing mechanics, and touching storylines would win him over like they did me.  They didn't, and while that doesn't really affect me, I still wanted him to have a good time and I'm disappointed he didn't.

Surprises

- Just Cause 2 -

I really hated the first Just Cause.  I mean *hate!*  I can't play it for more than fifteen minutes before its ugly graphics, awful controls, and tedious navigation drive piss me off beyond reason.  I thing I bought it from Circuit City for $5.00 with the intention of farming it for a few Achivements, and I can't even get that much out of it.

Just Cause 2 is freaking amazing.  An entire country with geographically distinct regions, packed with settlements to liberate, supplies to find, races to beat, and story missions to complete.  It's hard to think of another game that combines aerial, vehicular, and run-and-gun gameplay so seamlessly, and it's one of the most beautiful games I played this year to boot.  I spent over 81-hours earning a 97% Completion rating in JC2, and just last week, I bought it on sale for the PC so I can start again. nod

- Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood -

I couldn't have cared less about this game during its development.  I was sure it was a quick cash-in to eke a few more dollars out of the AC2 assets while they worked on the real sequel.  And even after the early buzz started to build, after I started hearing about how big the story mode was going to be, I was absolutely *sure* I didn't give a damn about the multiplayer.

AC:B was only the third game in which I earned every Achievement.  It's the only multiplayer game I've ever played enough to hit the level cap.  I earned 100% completion in every story mission and side quest, collected every flag and every treasure, and earned gold medals in all the bonus challenges.  I'm really amazed that a game I had such low expectations for could have turned out this well, to the point where it's one of the best games I played all year.

- Persona 3 -

I'd always thought I would like P3, but after failed attempts to get into the PSP remake of the first Persona and SMT: Strange Journey on the DS, I started to have doubts.  Slogging through cryptic mazes with random monster battles every eight steps is incredibly tedious RPG design, especially when the story is so slender, the only reward for toughing it out is the opportunity to advance into being killed by harder enemies.

Persona 3 is an incredible game.  Even at the height of my expectations, I would have been surprised by how thoroughly I fell in love with it.  I'd wake up early in the morning to push through my workout so I could fit in a few battles before work, and set up the DVR so we wouldn't be hurried through the next Full Moon encounter that evening.  I already wrote all about it here, and six months later, I think Persona 3 is my favorite game of 2010. 

-Autistic Angel
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2010, 04:46:25 AM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on December 19, 2010, 04:35:04 AM

- Gratch Didn't Like Persona 3 -

Man, I really thought Gratch was going to like Persona 3!  He's been in such an RPG funk, I thought P3's quirky characters, monster-fusing mechanics, and touching storylines would win him over like they did me.  They didn't, and while that doesn't really affect me, I still wanted him to have a good time and I'm disappointed he didn't.

Heh.   There were aspects of Persona 3 that I absolutely adored, mainly the wonderful characters and fantastic storylines you mentioned.  In fact, those were the only things that kept me playing all the way through to the end. I did spend nearly 70 hours with this game, after all.  smile   If I had only been required to spend 10-15 hours in Tartarus instead of 40+, I'd probably give Persona 3 an A.  That part was just so freaking repetitious and monotonous, and that's the only thing that seems to stick in my mind about the game.

I'll add Golden Sun: Dark Dawn to the "pleasantly surprised" list.  I wasn't expecting much from it, especially since it is much more puzzle than RPG focused.  I've been having a blast, however, and am really enjoying it still at the 15-hour mark.  Just the sort of light-hearted RPG I was looking for right now.

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 19, 2010, 01:37:52 PM »

Surprises
1. Lara Croft:Guardian of Light  (Superior game in so many ways.)
2. Divinity 2 : Ego Dragoconis/Dragonknight Saga version for PC  (I had no idea what this game even was before reading the forum post here.)
3. NBA 2k11 - (I haven't really liked the 2k bball offering the past 4 or 5 years.  2k11 is flat out stellar however.)
Disappointments
1. Elemental (One of my top disappointments of all-time.  Especially Stardock's complete disregard to what we beta-testers were trying to tell them.)
2. Starcraft 2  (Not even sure what to say about this.  My sense of 'good game' must be off when I look at the ludicrous ratings it has on metacritic.)

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2010, 02:36:48 PM »

no idea how i forgot this,but one of my disappointing games this year was Heavy Rain,looked great but i really didn't wanna shake my controller to brush my teeth or set the table..then half way through i got a save corruption ..and i really didn't want to play it again to get back to where i was

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 19, 2010, 05:38:38 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on December 19, 2010, 02:36:48 PM

no idea how i forgot this,but one of my disappointing games this year was Heavy Rain,looked great but i really didn't wanna shake my controller to brush my teeth or set the table..then half way through i got a save corruption ..and i really didn't want to play it again to get back to where i was

heavy rain was pretty interesting to me, despite the quirky aspects of the control scheme.  what killed it for me was when the game locked me into killing a character due to not responding to an obvious directional prompt.  "press left to not die" and no amount pressing left would not let me do what the game wanted me to do.  if i had lost a character because i wasn't fast enough on a qte, i could accept that and continue.  but losing one because it wouldn't let me hit left, no.  i sent it back to gamefly the next day and deleted the game off the drive. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 19, 2010, 05:42:49 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on December 19, 2010, 02:36:48 PM

heck, I couldn't even get the demo to work properly, had figured it was the sixaxis part of my DS3 that was broken but I've since found out my DS3 works just fine thanks to Uncharted.

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2010, 08:17:16 PM »

I loved Heavy Rain.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 19, 2010, 09:02:37 PM »

My biggest surprise has to be Apache Air Assault [360] which I just picked up this weekend. Based on what I'd heard, and that it's pub'd by Activision, I was expecting another Air Quake like experience similar to UBI's HAWX or past PC titles like Comanche 4, but arcade-ish it certainly is not. In fact it's a full on combat simulation of the Apache AH-64 helicopter and I'd place it between lite to hardcore in difficulty. Somehow I missed it was dev'd by Gaijin Entertainment who also did the excellent IL-2 Birds of Prey. That it features same-system co-op play with 1 player as pilot and the other as weapons officer has me blown away! I  can't remember how long combat flight sim fans have been crying for such a feature - at least more than a decade. I'm barely into it, but already my expectations have been far exceeded and I'm lovin the gameplay.

Biggest dissapointment was F1 2010. It's been years since racing sim fans have gotten a decent F1 game, but despite having some nice features it fell too short IMO. I loved the eye candy and much of the game, but sadly the shortcomings were plenty enough that it couldn't get me to stop palying F1CS 99-02 or Grand Prix Legends.  I traded it away and don't really miss it.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 09:14:27 PM by kronovan » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: