http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 01:38:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is your biggest disappointment / surprise game of the year?  (Read 2078 times)
Caine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« on: November 21, 2010, 10:29:22 PM »

the year is almost over and with a couple of exceptions, all the big games are now out.  looking back at the games we were all hyped up about going into 2010, what games do you feel missed their mark and which ones were surprise hits?

for me, the biggest disappointments is a tie, for largely the same reason.  SW The Force Unleashed 2.  it had the potential to be such a great follow-up and instead it pales in comparison to the first in almost every way.  the level designs were fairly uninspired, combat devolved into mindless button smashing, boss battles were boring or went on too long and the game set up some potentially awesome moments and then left them on the cutting room floor.  top it off with a plot that asked questions but gave no answers and will likely stay that way and you have a game that you can only ask "why couldn't this have been better?"

the other would be crackdown 2.  it felt too much like an expansion pack and had very little innovation while stripping it of some of the things we loved in crackdown 1. 

candidates:  fable 3 for how it feels like a huge step back from #2 and front mission evolved, for taking a genre with serious potential and basically blowing it. 

as for the biggest surprise, it has to be dark void.  i had no hopes that it would be anything better than decent and was surprised at how fun it was flying the jetpack and being able to go from flight to hover to ground combat could change the way a fight played out.  it also had some great music.

candidate (only until i have played through) and surely the one for top spot for others:  AC Brotherhood.  that ubi took a game seen last year as cheap cash-in and made it one of the best games of the year in less than a year's time is surely a sign that they know what they are doing.  it expands on ac2 in real and useful ways and feels like a proper sequel on its own.  toss in a mp mode which we all doubted could work that actually comes off as the freshest mp experience since MW turned it into a rpg-like and you have a game which is a serious goty contender. 

so, what's yours?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 10:34:31 PM »

biggest surprise for me this year?  Minecraft.  so simple yet so addictive.

Biggest disappointment(s):

Crackdown 2, for the same reasons you listed.
Mass Effect 2: considering how many times I replayed the first one I figured I'd be on my second or third playthrough.  Instead I'm thinking of re-installing the first one for my fifth time through.
Rock Band: orange frets in medium, 'nuff said.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 10:41:07 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 21, 2010, 10:34:31 PM

i have held out this long without trying it (except for the alpha, where i wondered wtf was the lure) but as soon as notch announces the impending switch to beta, i'll probably jump in to lock in a lower price.  the potential looms for a long addiction once i do.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 10:43:15 PM »

Hmmm interesting topic.  I guess biggest surprise for me is Mass Effect 2.  I assumed I'd like it, but I honestly loved it way more than expected.  They fixed nearly every complaint I had with the original and really tied together a great story.  

Disappointments:
1) Red Dead Redemption - feel apart and got boring/repetitive once you got to Mexico.  I just stopped playing there.
2) Dragon Age - Dungeons were just too long and tedious.
3) Mafia II - Just sort of average overall.
4) Medal of Honor - Ditto.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 11:00:37 PM »

Quote from: Caine on November 21, 2010, 10:29:22 PM

candidate (only until i have played through) and surely the one for top spot for others:  AC Brotherhood.  that ubi took a game seen last year as cheap cash-in and made it one of the best games of the year in less than a year's time is surely a sign that they know what they are doing.  it expands on ac2 in real and useful ways and feels like a proper sequel on its own.  toss in a mp mode which we all doubted could work that actually comes off as the freshest mp experience since MW turned it into a rpg-like and you have a game which is a serious goty contender.  

This is mine- I never would have believed they could make a game better than AC2 (which was pretty much my GOTY last year) in one year's time but I'll be damned, they did.  

Not quite ready to label any disappointments- sometimes it's a case of right game, wrong time so there are several that I didn't enjoy nearly as much as I expected that I need to revisit to see if they will click for me now.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 11:53:31 PM »

Biggest surprise is a no-brainer:  Nier.  Came completely out of nowhere and is one of my favorite games of the year.  Minecraft would be a close second.

Biggest disappointment is probably Fallout NV.  The ridiculous amount of bugs and completely uninteresting story made me come away with a resounding 'meh'.  I'd probably put Fable III on the list as well, even though I played it all the way through.  It was never terribly interesting, but did just enough to keep my attention.  The end-game was absolutely awful.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 12:00:45 AM »

Disappointments:
Crackdown 2 - as mentioned in the first post, it was too much like the first game in some respects, and lost other elements that I did enjoy.  I loved Crackdown and played it a lot so this was one of my most anticipated games of the year, so this disappointment is probably my number one for the year.

SW: The Force Unleashed 2 - I didn't actually play this one, mostly because of all the bad things I read about it.  I was hoping this would be the chance to expand on the first game and really polish that gameplay experience, but they screwed it up somehow.

Mafia 2 - It wasn't terrible, but not as awesome as I was hoping.

Blur - I loved this game, but was really disappointed it sold so few copies and doesn't really have an online community these days.

Biggest surprise?  I'll copy CeeKay here and say Minecraft.  I spent more time with Minecraft than any other game this year, and I'm still excited about things coming down the line.  Plus, it was only $13!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 12:03:21 AM by EngineNo9 » Logged

Sandwiches do fix everything.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 01:02:00 AM »

Mine is one in the same: Fable 3.

Biggest surprise because I totally fell in love with the game, and to some extent there are some things I still enjoy/love about it.  Biggest disappointment because of something in the late game that completely ruined it for me, which both surprised and disappointed me.  In fact before seeing this thread I was just about to post more whining about it in the Fable 3 thread lol.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 01:07:00 AM »

Biggest surprise: Singularity - I picked this up off Goozex just to fill in some of the space before BLOPS came out and it turned out to be a really fun, atmospheric shooter.

Biggest disappointment: Sort of cheating, but Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time HD. An awful, awful port of one of my favorite games of all time that I am regretting spending $15 on.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 01:28:21 AM »

Bear with my iPhoned response.

First, the negative: the honeymoon for crackdown 2 was way shorter than Crackdown 1 (one of the few games I kept beyond the first  playthrough). Once the sheen is gone it feels a little too much like the upside-down castle in Castlevania SoTN: interesting initially, but you don't want to stick around and explore every nook and cranny.

I was also disappointed with Fable 3. The dumbed down expressions. I swear, I got tired of dancing to make friends- it, along with manually up-keeping properties was as tedious as the cell phone in GTA4. Also, the point of the dog was missed. I felt no connection to it. There were plusses like the menu system and combat, but overall I didn't mind returning the rental without completing it. I could pick it up in 6 months to finish it up from a discount bin.

RDR, while having bugs and flaws, wasn't even on my radar. I absolutely loved playing it.

Tomb Raider - Guardian of light was also a big surprise for me. I play it coop exclusively and it is a fantastic experience.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2010, 01:37:20 AM »

Biggest disappointment :

Crackdown 2. For all of the reasons listed above.

Other disappointments :  

Madden 11.  I felt like it actually took a step back from the previous year.  No real improvements for online leagues.  On-field gameplay not as good as Madden 10.

Dead Rising 2.  I was hoping they would fix the control problems I had with the 1st game.  They did not.

Off the top of my head I can't think of any surprises for me this year.  Maybe that I loved Mass Effect 2 so much since I did not care for the 1st one at all.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2010, 02:03:58 AM »

I suck at these threads, I'm never good a recalling such things. I'll try and give it a shot:

Biggest disappointment: Alan Wake. I thought the team that made Max Payne would give us so much more.

Biggest surprise: Darksiders. This came out of nowhere and rocked, until the final dungeon. Still, up until that point it was solid awesomeness.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Mithridates

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2010, 02:21:38 AM »

Every time you whine about this, I am just absolutely baffled.  I'm far from the world's best plastic guitar player but I can't comprehend being so upset about a handful of orange notes in a song.  How terrible are you at this game that you can't do it?   icon_confused  (I don't mean this to be as mean as it probably sounds.)

As for this thread, my surprise of the year is Blur.  I absolutely loved it.

As for disappointments, that would have to be Red Dead.  I expected it to be so great and I could never really get into it.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 02:24:57 AM by Mithridates » Logged
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2010, 03:28:13 AM »

I'm going to have echo Gratch on Neir. Me, like I'm sure most, we were ready to completely write the game off. If it weren't for kmart and their 40 buck deal I probably would have. The music is awesome, the voice acting is great and the combat was a lot of fun. To round this off we actually got a some what compelling story.

Maybe this won't count, but for Starcraft 2 I was actually surprised at how the ladder system handles MP quite nicely. I've been getting back into again as well. I swore the MP portion off even before playing. I sunk easily 40 hours alone into custom games within the first week and half. Then I got bored of them and decided, why the hell not try mp? I'm far, far from even being remotely good(srsly I'm like 10-16 lol) but it's still fun.

for disappointments.

Yeah, I'll definitely agree with Dragon Age. Holy crap bioware. Could you have picked a more generic story and setting? if they game claimed nothing to going back to CRPGs I probably would have passed. In fact, i'm passing on dragon age 2 unless it completely comes out with something wow soon. Dungeons were definitely too long. the dwarven area lasted like 2 hours too long. I spent 2 fucking nights in that god awful dungeon. Seriously, wtf bioware?

Oh, let's not even mention the awful loot. You can literally skip looting anything you want because the best piece of armor will like have +1 stat over your starting gear and look like it was drawn by hellen keller to boot. Fucking terrible.

Once again, the choices you make mean jack shit in the end. Oh no, you could lose a party member. who fucking cares? 2 mages 1 tank and another dps is all you needed anyways.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2010, 03:53:35 AM »

Quote from: Mithridates on November 22, 2010, 02:21:38 AM

Every time you whine about this, I am just absolutely baffled.  I'm far from the world's best plastic guitar player but I can't comprehend being so upset about a handful of orange notes in a song.  How terrible are you at this game that you can't do it?   icon_confused  (I don't mean this to be as mean as it probably sounds.)

I have to agree with this one.  I mean people are free to be disappointed with whatever games they want.  But to knock Rock Band 3 because of a few orange notes showing up on medium seems silly.  Look at it this way, you paid for 5 buttons on that plastic guitar.  Why not use them all?

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2010, 04:04:36 AM »

Quote from: denoginizer on November 22, 2010, 03:53:35 AM

Every time you whine about this, I am just absolutely baffled.  I'm far from the world's best plastic guitar player but I can't comprehend being so upset about a handful of orange notes in a song.  How terrible are you at this game that you can't do it?   icon_confused  (I don't mean this to be as mean as it probably sounds.)

I have to agree with this one.  I mean people are free to be disappointed with whatever games they want.  But to knock Rock Band 3 because of a few orange notes showing up on medium seems silly.  Look at it this way, you paid for 5 buttons on that plastic guitar.  Why not use them all?

the OP asked for disappointments, and I just said that Rock Band (in general, not just 3 since it affects newerRB2 DLC) disappointed me with that change.  it's already been beat to death in the RB3 thread so I'm not going to go into it here out of respect for the OP.

Because I can,
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2010, 04:18:45 AM »

Surprises:
Darksiders
Castlevania
Sonic Colors

Dissapointments:
I'll have to get back to this.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2010, 06:21:08 AM »

Quote from: denoginizer on November 22, 2010, 03:53:35 AM

Every time you whine about this, I am just absolutely baffled.  I'm far from the world's best plastic guitar player but I can't comprehend being so upset about a handful of orange notes in a song.  How terrible are you at this game that you can't do it?   icon_confused  (I don't mean this to be as mean as it probably sounds.)

I have to agree with this one.  I mean people are free to be disappointed with whatever games they want.  But to knock Rock Band 3 because of a few orange notes showing up on medium seems silly.  Look at it this way, you paid for 5 buttons on that plastic guitar.  Why not use them all?

that's HMX's way of saying, "you've been playing these games for how many years and haven't moved to at least hard?!" Tongue

not like the orange note is  at the bottom of the neck, pretty easy to hit. plus it makes just that much easier to actually move to hard as you'll have experience with the orange fret.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2010, 07:21:08 AM »

Biggest disappointment(s):

Crackdown 2, for the same reasons you listed.
Mass Effect 2: considering how many times I replayed the first one I figured I'd be on my second or third playthrough.  Instead I'm thinking of re-installing the first one for my fifth time through.

Fable 3 for me

(orange frets in medium was an improvement in my mind.  I wish Easy had orange as well, the longer you play without all 5 frets the harder it becomes to make the jump)
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2010, 08:56:21 AM »

My biggest surprises were Nier and Vanquish.

Nier had a wonderful storyline and some excellent characters that made the game a joy to play. If the side quests had actually been entertaining this would have easily been my game of the year.

Vanquish was simply the best action game I've played all year. Wonderful set pieces, amazingly fluid controls, and the best battle suit in recent memory.

My biggest disappointment was CoD:Black Ops. The single player game sucked.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2010, 12:36:09 PM »

Biggest surprise was definitely Minecraft. Go indie developers go!

Biggest disappointment was surely Civilization V. That was supposed to be the most surefire winner of the year for me. Odds are it'll get someplace good with patches or expansions or mods, but as-is?  Gigantic disappointment.
NetGuy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2010, 01:18:20 PM »

Surprises:

Mass Effect 2: I didn't even know the franchise existed until December of 2009 when I started playing the first game.  I thought the first game was very "meh" it had great fiction, but the execution of that game was severely flawed and I wasn't terribly excited about ME2.  However, the early reviews were glowing and it sounded like ME2 addressed almost all of my problems with the first game... which it did.  Amazing game... except for that mining crap. 

Darksiders: Again, I didn't even know this game existed until December, so I had very little in the way of expectations.  But I was impressed that a game like this, that was entirely based on knocking off gameplay from other games, still managed to feel fresh and fun.  They could have been lazy and produced a carbon copy, but they took care to put some original spin on a few mechanics and to get just the right mix of gameplay elements.

Disappointments:

These might not be totally fair because I haven't actually played either of these, but they were games I was excited about only to have that excitement be tempered by reading reviews and general impressions.

Fallout NV: I spent 60 hours with the original Fallout 3, which is easily twice as much time as I've spent with any other single player game in the past decade.  I was super excited about NV, but to have it released in an apparently buggy condition really dampened that excitement for me.  I was also disappointed to see that it was essentially more content for Fallout 3.  I didn't expect a ton of new systems or gameplay mechanics, but I did expect a little bit of innovation and advancement. 

Mafia II: Lot of fond memories of the original game and I had high hopes for this sequel.  But the general impression that I got from reading about this game was that it was solid, but not spectacular with a few notable problems.   I was just hoping for a AAA title.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2010, 01:20:12 PM »

I have not been able to buy as many games as i would like this year,so the games i HAVE been buying have been high on my must buy list or from word of mouth,so my biggest disappointment this year is easily Alien Vs Predator,it just could of been so much more but it felt cheap and tacky in the end...but i have to also say that i was massively disappointed in the story for Halo:Reach as well

i could probably list Final Fantasy 13,although i thought the game was okay,i was still disappointed in the game

Nier was a good game that came from nowhere,but after loving Infinite Undiscovery and Star Ocean,i pretty much knew i would like it,especially as it was Myto who told me about it

i was very surprised how much i loved Bioshock 2 Mulitplayer,i loved the single player as well,but wasn't expecting the MP to grab me like it did

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2010, 01:54:30 PM »

Surprise:  Transformers: War for Cybertron.  The mp was SO. MUCH.  FUN.  The sp was a great trip down memory lane.  However,  the MP was one of the most underappreciated pieces of a game ever.  It was a total hoot match in and match out.  The sequel is a day one buy for me.

Disappointment:  RDR.  My first and likely only foray into a Rockstar game.  Zzzzzzzzzzzzz
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2010, 02:17:03 PM »

Disappointments:

Alan Wake
Mafia 2
Splinter Cell: Conviction
MOH
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 03:12:01 PM by spigot » Logged

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2010, 02:25:49 PM »

Quote from: gellar on November 21, 2010, 10:43:15 PM

1) Red Dead Redemption - feel apart and got boring/repetitive once you got to Mexico.  I just stopped playing there.

I couldn't figure out if I somehow did something wrong in RDR.  When I got to Mexico I got a tutorial in dueling, however I had been playing for like 20 hours at that point and had a ton of duels.  I think somehow they expected you to get to Mexico much earlier in the game, which would have made it feel fresher.

rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2010, 02:44:18 PM »

Biggest suprise:  Red Dead Redemption.  Ive never been much into the Rockstar Grand Theft Auto games so I went into this expecting more of the same on a horse.  It was a far better game than I expected.

Ill give honorable mention to Mass Effect 2.  I liked the 1st one so I fully expected to like this one as well... it didnt disappoint.

my biggest disappointment...  Im not too far into it but Fable 3 seems sooo watered down.  I figure in Fable 4 they will have you insert the disc and the game will play itself.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2010, 02:45:36 PM »

Biggest Surprise? To go along with others (as it's just so true), Minecraft by a mile. I can't believe I've put so much time into such a 'simple' looking indie developed game. There's a reason why he has 635k sales as of this moment.

Biggest Disappointment? Dragon Age. This game came from a company with an absolutely amazing track record (Baldur's Gate, Planescape Torment, Mass Effect), and it turned out to be just so dull and unoriginal. A disappointment all around.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2010, 02:59:49 PM »

Add me to the surprised by Darksiders group.  I had known about it before release, but once I started playing it just blew me away.  Great game.

So far my biggest disappointment was Medal of Honor.  I was hoping for the reboot to entertain as much as BC2 did, but it wasn't even half as fun.

EDIT:  Also Dante's Inferno.  Dead Space is my fav game after the Uncharted series, so I had high hopes for this Visceral game.  Instead it was awful and I ended up just watching the cut scenes on Youtube...and I love the GoW formula!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 03:03:43 PM by leo8877 » Logged
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2010, 03:00:58 PM »

A couple more, now that I've had time to think about it.

Surprises
-  Bayonetta - I'm typically not one for these sort of action games, but Bayonetta was so ridiculous and so over-the-top that you couldn't help but enjoy it.  Of course, having the smoothest combat system I've ever played didn't hurt.
-  Lara Croft & the Guardian of Light - Easily the best XBLA game this year.  Again, Lara has never done much for me, but this one was a blast.

Disappointment
-  Persona 3 PSP - Strange to say that a game I put over 60 hours into was a disappointment.  While the story, characters, and social aspects of P3P were absolutely brilliant, the Tartarus grind was mind-numbingly boring.  Were it not for a lot of very long cross-country flights, I never would have bothered finishing this one.  I'm finding that I remember it less fondly the further out I get, and doubt I'll ever bother with another Persona game.
-  Deathspank - I know I'm in the minority here, but I thought Deathspank was painfully unfunny and some of the mechanics (i.e. the slowly regenerating health items) were endlessly frustrating.  I came in really expecting to like this one, but came away very disappointed.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2010, 03:44:51 PM »

I got some more disappointments too, some of which were apparently so disappointing I forgot about them until I saw them listed in this thread:

Alan Wake:  good concept, but got pretty boring after killing the 20th possessed lumberjack.  Oddly enough it may have worked if they did it as an episodic title like TellTale Games does and tweaked things based on feedback.

Mafia 2: let's make this huge city and give you no reason to explore it except for driving home from work everyday.

another biggest suprise of the year:  That I've managed to hold off buying Dragon Age Ultimate Edition off of Steam in case it goes on sale.

Because I can,
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2010, 06:36:57 PM »

Biggest Surprise

Red Dead Redemption:  This was totally off my radar, but the Forum Effect got me and I am glad it did.  I just wish the story wasn't set at the turn of the century.  Will pick up the Undead pack one of these days.

Call of Duty; Black Ops -Zombies Multiplayer - I am spending more and more time playing this online.  They took something that was stuck into the other games and stepped it up a notch.  Some of the one liners in this game are great

Biggest Disappointment

Fable 3 - once I won the throne I was no longer interested in playing.  

Fallout: New Vegas - Bugs  and the uninteresting story killed my enjoyment. I had to struggle to finish the game this weekend

Mafia 2: let's make this huge city and give you no reason to explore it except for driving home from work everyday - Copied from CeeKay.  I agree

Starcraft 2:  I've yet to finish the game and I have no desire to do so.  The MP left me flat and story felt bland
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 09:02:16 PM by Soulchilde » Logged

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2010, 07:12:09 PM »

Biggest Surprise(s): Transformers: War For Cybertron. I'm a big Transformers fan, and this is most definetely the best TF game ever made. But it's not only that; it's also one of the best third person action games in recent memory (and I will stick my reputation in that claim). High Moon Studios did such a good job.. with everything.. the character models.. the art style.. the levels. the multiplayer. The game's so good, I'll be doing something I never do with a game--I'll be buying it again for the PS3 sometime this weekend. Seriously, one of the best action titles of this year.

League Of Legends. I tried to ignore this free 'little' PC game for as long as I could. I installed it back in May and played it once or twice and thought 'Well, this is neat'. But then I reinstalled it back in July.... and I've had full-on PC gaming fever since. Not even Starcraft II and Civilization V, both very well made games, were able to pull me away from this. I obssess about this game unlike any game in recent memory. I never played DoTa back in the day.. but this to me now is the definitive DoTa-style game. When I'm not playing LoL, I'm thinking about it. That's when you know a game has got you in its hold. That's how good LoL is!

Biggest Dissapointment (that I didn't get to play): I don't necessarily play 'dissapointing' games because I do so much research before I pick a title that I make sure I'm gonna love the game. That having been said, the biggest letdown I've felt this year wasn't for a game I played.. but for a game that was released unfinished in the worst manner possible, and a release that set back the PC gaming hobby several years. Yes, I'm talking about Elemental:War Of Magic. After the success of Sins Of A Solar Empire, a game I truly enjoyed, to see Stardock release such a broken game (and to expect for the PC gaming community to pay 'for its continued development') was a severe dissapointment. Seeing fanboys go to such lengths to defend Stardock's poor decisions was saddening. Yes, at some point, it'll be completely 'fixed'... but that game should have been held back until the new year. Now, Stardock's reputation is just stained. How truly sad.

Biggest Surprise (that I didn't get to play): Minecraft. Have heard, and seen, so many great things about it. The main reason why I've not tried it is that, if it's as addictive as people say, it would completely wipe my free time. As it is, League Of Legends as done a good job at that these past 4 months or so. Maybe I'll try it in the dead of the coming winter, when I'm totally bored and snowed in. hehehehe.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 07:14:01 PM by PR_GMR » Logged
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2010, 07:15:40 PM »

Another add for me, and it's actually the same game.

Disappointment: COD Black Ops SP - Garbage, for the most part.  Annoying storyline presentation and some truly awful gameplay sequences mar anything good about the SP portion of this game.

Surprise: COD Black Ops MP - Most fun/balanced COD I've played.  Probably have more time into this than I have any of the previous CODs combined.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2010, 07:44:21 PM »

Disappointments: Medal of Honor MP - buggy, laggy crap that made me really appreciate the smoothness that is MP CoD (matchmaking notwithstanding).
Madden 11 - Big plays galore.  Not enough interest to keep me playing, the coins/CCG dynamic was interesting, but didn't hold my interest as much as it would have a decade ago.

Surprises: Mount and Blade.  I don't have Warband, but the 2008 original, that I started playing a couple months ago.  I keep going back to it to level up, fight in the tourneys, and take part in the occasional castle assault.  The mounted combat and the archery really keep me interested in getting better and riding down my foes.  I really hope Warband goes on sale during the Steamapalooza.

Red Dead Redemption - I went from zero interest to almost immediate buy and played the heck out of the SP.  Once I finished the SP, it even got me to rent the GTA4 addons to keep playing the well-written games that Rockstar keeps putting out. 

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2010, 08:11:08 PM »

Biggest Surprise

Call of Duty: Black Ops - I feel like I'm cheating putting this here, but I honestly didn't even plan on buying it until about a week before it was released. MW2 was so disappointing that I thought I could take a year off... that didn't work out so well, and I'm glad it didn't. Outside of delivering some fantastic MP experiences, they really delivered on the SP and Zombie modes. The game certainly has its faults, but even just a few weeks ago I would have thought that I was going to be completely indifferent towards this game.

Honorable Mention

Civilization V - I never played the full game, but the demo surprised the hell out of me. I haven't played a Civ game on the PC since Civ 2 way back in the day, but I felt like the game does a good job of teaching new players what everything means. I played the demo dozens of times, but couldn't afford to go out and get the game. Now I see it's on sale at Best Buy this week, and I have some gift cards burning holes in my pocket. I'm going to try and resist because I want to wait until I get more gift cards from Christmas and buy a bigger hard drive and Rock Band 3. I might even get a new Xbox if I get enough gift cards.

Biggest Disappointment

Fable 3 - I loved Fable 2, but Fable 3 left so much to be desired. The first half of the game was pretty good, but once you get to the throne it falls off a cliff. The worst part is the potential is there for it to be epic. It really felt rushed out the door, and I wish I would have rented it.

Honorable Mention

Fallout: NV - This game was filled with bugs and glitches when it was released, which is why it's here. I barely scratched the surface of the game before I was distracted by something else. I plan on getting back to it eventually. Hopefully most of the problems will be fixed by then.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2010, 08:41:58 PM »

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light also surprised the hell out of me, amazing cooperative gameplay.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2010, 09:16:25 PM »

This thread is great!  Already saved me a couple hundred dollars based on the comments about Fallout NV, Mafia 2 and Fable 3.  (Particularly since I just picked up Fallout 3 GOTY edition for $20 and only ever got 4 or 5 hours into Fable 2).

Biggest Disappointments: Sup Com 2 (was that this year?  So dumbed down!  Makes me angry just thinking about how much I was looking forward to this), Final Fantasy 13 (was looking forward to this too; love FF games, but after 20 hours of tutorial and combat consisting of pushing 'auto' and watching, I gave up), Elemental (although I still have hope), Civ 5 (although playing with SP Mods to tweak some balance and economy things has renewed my interest in the game).

Biggest Surprises: ME2, Red Dead Redemption, Halo: Reach (expected a decent game, but this was SO much improved from Halo 3), Civ 5 with balance mods (so much better!)
Dramatist
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2010, 10:27:12 PM »

Biggest surprise.

Dragon Quest IX on the DS.  I never played any of these games before.  I sank 275 hours into the game which more than doubled any other hand held game I've ever played.  Very fun game.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2010, 10:28:44 PM »

Quote from: Dramatist on November 22, 2010, 10:27:12 PM

I sank 275 hours into the game

Holy crap!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: