http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 03:23:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the worst game you've ever played?  (Read 2245 times)
hitbyambulance
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2013, 08:06:46 PM »

also, i've found some people say E.T. (2600) is the 'worst game ever' more because it's _known for being known_ as such. yeah, it was programmed in six weeks, but i don't think this has to be the case - see this interesting article on one person's recent efforts to fix the game's bugs and take care of a few common complaints with the gameplay. (also gives you some insight into 2600 game code)

http://www.neocomputer.org/projects/et/

So, why do people hate E.T.? When it was released, it was well ahead of its time. It pioneered a lot of concepts that we take for granted in games today, but were unheard of in 1982 (Atari's Adventure and Haunted House had some of these features, but not all):

It was one of the first home video games with a title screen.
    It featured an open-ended world with gameplay focused on exploration.
    It was completely non-violent. You can't hurt the bad-guys, and they can't hurt you. There isn't even any competition!
    You could complete the game. There are also several goals that you need to complete to win the game.
    There were multiple ways to complete goals. You can actually finish the game without falling in a single well.
    The game not only had an ending, it also featured an animated cut-scene as a reward.
    The game featured optional additional goals to complete (side quests).

While that seems like a great list of features, players in 1982 weren't prepared for that much change. You really needed to read the manual to understand the game and how to play it. As younger children were the primary audience, it's no surprise that it wasn't well received.

Of course, that doesn't explain why the game is so hated today. If we can identify the reasons why, we can try to address them. Here are the problems this page will address:

The game seems incredibly complex. This isn't a real problem. Once you learn how to play, it's really very simple. You just need to read the manual, or watch a tutorial video, to understand it.
    The game is incredibly hard. It's difficult for novices to complete the game even on mode 3, the easiest setting. Fortunately, this can be fixed.
    You spend a lot of time accidentally falling in to wells. I believe that I know reason why this happens to so many people, and what can be done to fix it.
    E.T. is not green. I'm really surprised that this isn't a common complaint. We'll fix that as well.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 08:09:09 PM by hitbyambulance » Logged
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2013, 08:36:05 PM »

Quote from: YellowKing on November 19, 2013, 08:05:45 PM

oh god, I remember that.  I also remember trying to rotate the hand around to point the gun back at myself.  I figured even the player would want to end it rather than suffer through another crate stacking "puzzle"

I actually talked a total stranger out of buying that game. The sales guy at EB? Babbage's? was NOT amused.  icon_biggrin

yeah, back in the day when you could actually return crappy games.  I never abused that privilege, but I did appreciate it.  How I wish we had that these days.  Aliens CM, I'm looking at you

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2013, 10:14:24 PM »

Quote from: Crawley on November 19, 2013, 07:50:41 PM

Quote from: Laner on November 19, 2013, 12:51:42 PM

Pac-Man for the 2600 was far worse, because everyone knew what Pac-Man was supposed to be like, and it was a far cry from the arcade version.

You are 100% correct about that. Pac Man was a travesty on the 2600. I also seem to recall they priced it higher, like $60, which just added to the disappointment. Although I only played ET a bit it just seemed like a confusing game to me.

I can still clearly recall the terrible Pac Man dot munching and power pellet sounds. That's how badly memorable the whole package was.

Indeed.  The sounds were picked up by some sound sample library, and for the next 15 years, they were used on any and every TV show where a video game was being played.  That and 2600 Donkey Kong.  The video game version of the Wilhelm Scream.
As for my worst game, I'm going to go with Corridor 7 by Capstone.  A below average FPS built on the Wolf3D engine after Doom was out - bleah.

Back on AOL when chat was a thing one of the Capstone guys offered to send me Corridor 7 for free. I actually said "no thanks".  icon_razz

I was a beta tester for it - until I got kicked off the team for saying how bad it was during testing.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 10:20:23 PM by Laner » Logged
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2013, 11:31:41 PM »

Thinking about this topic, I keep going back to Ultimas 8 and 9. Easily the two most disappointing games I've played, if not the worst.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2013, 02:24:23 AM »

Quote from: Purge on November 19, 2013, 02:58:50 PM

KOTOR II was one I sunk many an hour into.

You are a buffoon.

KOTOR 2 was brilliant.

A buffoon!
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2013, 03:21:14 AM »

I don't remember the title, but it was an SPRG I reviewed for GT back in the day.

Awful, awful, awful...I seem to have blocked the name of it out of my memory

Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2013, 04:21:19 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 19, 2013, 03:10:33 PM

Oh, I almost forgot about

I was so excited about it, even ran out to get it on release day, and then... wow.  I don't recall even learning the game enough to kill a single dinosaur.  I do seem to remember moving a crate, though.

I had completely forgotten about Hand Simulator 1998.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Blackhawk
Gaming Trend Reader

?

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2013, 04:47:12 AM »

I played (and finished) Daikatana.  It was mediocre, but it was far from the worst game I've played.  Wizards and Warriors ca. 2000 was pretty awful, as the bugs made it unplayable after I'd spent my very limited gaming budget on it.  It still wasn't the worst.

The worst?  1982.  An Atari 2600 port of my favorite arcade classic, and it came out just weeks before my ninth birthday.  I wanted nothing in this world more than to own that game, and sure enough - I got it.  I opened it up, put it in, powered up the system and... was horribly, painfully disappointed.  Yes, I'm talking about you, Atari Pac-Man.

Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2013, 08:04:06 PM »

This is the year that I ran into the worst game that I've ever played.

Ni No Kuni

I finished the game, I tried to find that shining gem everyone was seeing, but I never found it.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2013, 08:37:41 PM »

Quote from: Sparhawk on November 20, 2013, 08:04:06 PM

This is the year that I ran into the worst game that I've ever played.

Ni No Kuni

I finished the game, I tried to find that shining gem everyone was seeing, but I never found it.

Really? The worst game you've ever played? Sure, it might not have lived up to the hype but it was still pretty fun. And why play a 40 hour+ game to completion if you thought it was terrible? Sounds torturous.
motodd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2013, 10:50:29 PM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on November 19, 2013, 11:39:58 AM

There was a "game" I played when I was 10 maybe? It was powered by a VCR, yep. It was like top gun and you used a gun to point at the screen and shoot down jets. Wow. Anyone remember wtf I'm talking about?

The Action Max - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_Max

On topic, for me the worst game I have played is Choro Q on the PS2
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2013, 02:17:14 AM »

Dear God.  I remember Hand Simulator.   That was perhaps the game that had the most hype with the most horrible delivery of any game I've ever played.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2013, 04:57:53 AM »

Looks like the Black & White hate has died down somewhat.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2013, 05:13:44 AM »

Quote from: Purge on November 21, 2013, 04:57:53 AM

Torches and Happiness!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2013, 08:55:11 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 21, 2013, 05:13:44 AM

Torches and Happiness!

it's almost attained that near-good state of 'maybe it wasn't as bad as I remembered.  maybe I should boot it back up'

WorkingMike
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2013, 11:36:14 PM »

This is a tough one. I think the game that disappointed me the most was Total Annihilation: Kingdoms. I wanted to love it, and that made me hate it all the more.

The straight up worst game I ever played was Rogue Warrior. That game was train wreck bad (which I kinda expected).
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2013, 11:48:25 PM »

I never thought it was all that terrible at the time.  It certainly didn't live up to all the hype and promises, and it had it's share of issues, but it had a lot of cool ideas.  I would love to see a new version of that game do the concept justice.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2013, 11:50:57 PM »

Quote from: WorkingMike on November 21, 2013, 11:36:14 PM

This is a tough one. I think the game that disappointed me the most was Total Annihilation: Kingdoms. I wanted to love it, and that made me hate it all the more.

Oh man, yes!  After the awesomeness of the original TA my friends and I had gotten so pumped up for that game and it was such a crushing disappointment when it came out. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2013, 04:21:21 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on November 21, 2013, 11:48:25 PM

I never thought it was all that terrible at the time.  It certainly didn't live up to all the hype and promises, and it had it's share of issues, but it had a lot of cool ideas.  I would love to see a new version of that game do the concept justice.

... a hybrid controller/kinect game .. where you really CAN spank the monkey.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2013, 10:39:38 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on November 21, 2013, 11:50:57 PM

Quote from: WorkingMike on November 21, 2013, 11:36:14 PM

Oh man, yes!  After the awesomeness of the original TA my friends and I had gotten so pumped up for that game and it was such a crushing disappointment when it came out. 

ah, TA: Kingdoms, the game where they decide to throw air units at you and there isn't anything you can do about it.  IIRC, that level was where I said screw it because I kept getting zerged by AI attacks and could do nothing but sit back and watch.

Because I can,
kalgorath
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 22, 2013, 02:01:59 PM »

For me it would be a close tie between Spore and the Sims. Spore, I played a good 2 hours of it, and then found myself dozing off. I misunderstood the 'download your friends' creatures!' feature, and assumed that it meant multiplayer. The Sims lasted a day or two before I realised that I was not having any fun at all, and it all seemed like work. My sister enjoyed the Sims so much that she has all the expansions....
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 22, 2013, 04:02:19 PM »

You're leading a charmed (gaming) life if those are your two worst games.

I tend to forget the bad ones, but I'll go old school and pick K.C. Munchkin from the Odyssey 2 system, which was a Pac-man knock-off. It did have its own level editor, but that was where the good ended, because the controls were shit, the sound effects cheap, and the graphics were primitive even for that era.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2013, 07:50:57 PM »

Kinda looks like a cross between Wizards of War and Pac Man.

I can't say I played many Odyssey 2 games. They had one in a department store that I would play every once in awhile but all the Atari consoles were getting the majority of the attention. I barely remember any of the Odyssey games. I do recall the joysticks on that thing were crap.

I dunno if Atari 2600's Video Olympics was the worst game I ever played, still thinking A2600 Pac Man, but Video Olympics was by far the largest disappointment for me. And it was the first video game I chose to buy. When my parents gave in to my nagging about getting an Atari 2600 they said I could choose a single game for it. I had played a bunch of the games in Sears or what not but having a single choice I wanted to pick a game that would last. So I saw Video Olympics. The game cover was awesome as it showed a bunch of athletes playing various sport games. And in red letters the package hyped that there were 50 sport games in the cartridge!  I was like if it has 50 games in it I could play it forever! It would be totally stupid not to get this game!

Well I was pretty naive in what to expect. When I gleefully shoved the cartridge in and turned on the system staring back at me was Pong. The 50 "sports" games were just variations on Pong. To make matters worse they were only 2-player games. And on top of that you needed the paddle controllers to play which we did not have.

I'm not sure what happened after that. I may have repressed that memory. But I know I wised up on purchases and expectations at the expense of some of my childhood.  crybaby
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: November 22, 2013, 08:46:18 PM »

oh yes, the cold hard reality of buying a game and realizing you would have been much happier buying a mountain of candy.  those cartridge games were notorious for that, and later on, I learned that the higher the games claimed, the lower the variation and quality.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 22, 2013, 09:02:09 PM »

Sierra (Front Page) Sports Football Pro '99. A game so broken that it was recalled.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: November 22, 2013, 11:20:53 PM »

Quote from: Crawley on November 22, 2013, 07:50:57 PM

I dunno if Atari 2600's Video Olympics was the worst game I ever played, still thinking A2600 Pac Man, but Video Olympics was by far the largest disappointment for me. And it was the first video game I chose to buy. When my parents gave in to my nagging about getting an Atari 2600 they said I could choose a single game for it. I had played a bunch of the games in Sears or what not but having a single choice I wanted to pick a game that would last. So I saw Video Olympics. The game cover was awesome as it showed a bunch of athletes playing various sport games. And in red letters the package hyped that there were 50 sport games in the cartridge!  I was like if it has 50 games in it I could play it forever! It would be totally stupid not to get this game!

Well I was pretty naive in what to expect. When I gleefully shoved the cartridge in and turned on the system staring back at me was Pong. The 50 "sports" games were just variations on Pong. To make matters worse they were only 2-player games. And on top of that you needed the paddle controllers to play which we did not have.

To be fair, Video Olympics was a 2600 launch title, so we're talking 1977 or so.  Video games in general hadn't progressed much past Pong variants yet.  But yeah, it does not hold up well at all, even compared to other 2600 games.
Andrew Wonser

A porcupine quilt made of porcupine quills.

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2013, 07:03:46 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on November 18, 2013, 11:41:24 PM

Quote from: Andrew Wonser on November 18, 2013, 11:18:29 PM

I'm sure I've played worse but the two that come to mind right away are Postal 2 and Painkiller.

Wait, the first Painkiller?  Or one of these late expansion/sequels done by other developers?

First one.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 23, 2013, 05:41:13 PM »

A game could be considered bad if it's buggy, ugly, poorly laid out, badly documented, unbalanced, or just brain-dead boring.  Some rare few might even be so broken on such a fundamental level that the core *concept* of the game is unfixably bad.

In order for a game to be the Worst, I think it would need to encompass as many of those faults as possible.  I humbly submit Master of Orion III.

The central conceit of MOO3 is that running an interstellar empire would be so complicated that no single person could possibly do it alone.  Instead of managing every aspect of your civilization -- the tax rates, construction jobs, research projects, military maneuvers -- the game developers at Quicksilver decided to put all of that under the control of the AI.  "You don't need to worry about finding new worlds to colonize!  The "governors" will do that for you!"

This may leave you wondering, "If the player doesn't colonize new worlds, build up the economy, invent anything or fight anyone...what do you actually do in this game?"  Fortunately one critical element has been left in your control: you are the only person in the universe that can click the "End Turn" button.

Oh, you can *try* to do other things.  The entire game is laid out with spreadsheets nested inside of other spreadsheets, and they're all filled with numbers and sliders you can move around.  Unfortunately for you, none of your changes will take effect until you click that End Turn button, and the moment you do, the AI Governor comes along and yells, "GODDAMMIT WHO MOVED MY SLIDERS NOW I HAVE TO PUT THEM ALL BACK EXACTLY WHERE THEY WERE!"

So you click End Turn.  Every time you do, new colonies are founded, technologies are discovered, and ships are built.  What do they do?  Only the AI knows, and even if it would tell you, none of it would matter because it'll all be obsolete within three End Turns.  Every summary screen is filled with new theoretical advancements that render whatever the AI was doing last End Turn completely out of date.

Sometimes there's a battle.  You'll know because the screen will switch to a black field where some beige blurs will move towards some grey smears and some buttons will appear to make you think you can somehow influence the outcome.  How unfortunate that none of them are labelled End Turn, though by the time you read them all, those blasts of hissy static from your speakers have stopped and the battle is over.  Victory over the beige blurs will be celebrated across the worlds of whichever AI was commanding the grey smears that day!

I've written a lot on this forum about how much I've disliked Fable 2, Dragon Age 2, and Assassin's Creed: Liberation.  They are sincerely three of the worst games I've played in the last decade.  But make no mistake: none of them earned anywhere *near* the level of contempt I have for Master of Orion III.  Seven years of waiting, and it is absolutely the worst game I've ever played.

-Autistic Angel
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: November 26, 2013, 04:10:01 PM »

Good explanation. I always wondered what made MOO3 so bad and was morbidly curious. I am curious no more.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 26, 2013, 05:06:12 PM »

Quote from: Andrew Wonser on November 23, 2013, 07:03:46 AM

I'm sure I've played worse but the two that come to mind right away are Postal 2 and Painkiller.

Wait, the first Painkiller?  Or one of these late expansion/sequels done by other developers?

First one.

Odd, I thought the first one was actually pretty fun.

It's been bugging me since I made my first post that I couldn't remember the name of the SRPG game that I so disliked.  It was Spectral Force 3.  Looks like my review got eaten in the site changeover, but it was...unkind.  smile

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 26, 2013, 05:14:08 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on November 26, 2013, 05:06:12 PM

First one.

It's been bugging me since I made my first post that I couldn't remember the name of the SRPG game that I so disliked.  It was Spectral Force 3.  Looks like my review got eaten in the site changeover, but it was...unkind.  smile

boom.

Because I can,
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 26, 2013, 06:00:11 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 26, 2013, 05:14:08 PM

Quote from: Gratch on November 26, 2013, 05:06:12 PM

First one.

boom.

The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: November 27, 2013, 04:56:25 AM »

Oh wow. The old old OLD GT site.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 27, 2013, 04:57:00 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 27, 2013, 04:56:25 AM

yeah, it seemed shocking how bad it looks nowadays.

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: November 27, 2013, 05:44:15 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 27, 2013, 04:57:00 AM

Quote from: Destructor on November 27, 2013, 04:56:25 AM

yeah, it seemed shocking how bad it looks nowadays.

http://web.archive.org/web/20051028010023/http://www.gamingtrend.com/

Memories...

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 27, 2013, 05:47:54 PM »

yeah, the really old days.

Because I can,
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: November 28, 2013, 03:57:14 AM »

Animaniacs:  Lights, Camera Action for the Nintendo DS.  It was a review title, it was putrid, and it was essentially a port of the GBA title of the same name.  It used the touch screen exclusively to pause and (I think) change characters.  It also used a /password save system/.  I think I gave it a 29/100.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 28, 2013, 01:10:58 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on November 19, 2013, 02:58:19 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on November 19, 2013, 01:43:12 AM

Quote from: msduncan on November 19, 2013, 01:05:42 AM

ET

you know, that might be mine too.  I remember playing a ton of it as a kid, well before I knew the game sucked.

I played that as a kid too, and I remember assuming I was just too young/dumb to figure it out.   icon_confused

Same here. I was in 2nd grade at the time and just couldn't figure out what the hell I was supposed to be doing. I kept plugging away at it though, for some stupid reason. It's probably the worst game I have ever played.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 28, 2013, 03:18:44 PM »

Autistic Angel is right.

I've played some bad games and many disappointing games, but nothing, I mean nothing comes close to even standing in the shadow of the execrable shat-spackled monument to unfun-ness that was Masters of Orion 3. Battlecruiser 3000 A.D. annoyed me so badly I actually bothered getting into an online fight with Derek Smart trying to convince him what a piece of crap his game was. But for MOO3, I was so paralyzed by the badness, so shell-shocked by the turd-bagel so brazenly called a "game", that I couldn't even summon the strength to get angry.

On a side note, despite it's crap-tacular bug-ridden censor-destroyed incompleteness, I loved Temple of Elemental Evil. If only...

rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 28, 2013, 04:15:15 PM »

The truly sad thing about Temple of Elemental Evil was its potential.  If it wasnt so badly bug ridden, there was conceptually, an awesome game in there.  Thats a game that could really benefit from a remake.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: