http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 01:43:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the worst game you've ever played?  (Read 2073 times)
Eel Snave
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: November 18, 2013, 10:32:08 PM »

As a corollary, what's the worst game you ever played for far, far longer than you should have?
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 10:43:06 PM »

Steel Battalion : Heavy Armor

Review, so I had to sink time into it.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 10:45:57 PM »

I finished Kameo and really didn't like it. I know some people do, but I just found it incredibly tedious. It was one of the first games I got for the 360 so I didn't want to give it up without finishing it.

X-Blades I had the good sense to stop playing pretty quickly. Just a very, very bad game. As a side note, Blades of Time, the sequel/reboot was actually pretty fun.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 10:49:54 PM »

I generally avoid games that are getting a lot of negativity so I havenít played many games that are outright bad.

In recent memory, the worst is probably Duke Nukem Forever.  I finished the game so that answers your second question, although, in my defense, I completed the game in only 4 hours so not that big of deal.

Going back a ways further I would go with Streets of Sim City, a game that barely worked and when it did, wasnít any fun.

Now if the question was which game did I hate playing most that award would go to Demonís Souls; a game that while technically well made, did the opposite of everything I could possibly want in a game.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 10:56:27 PM »

I hold the dubious honor of handing out Gaming Trend's lowest review score ever. Don't bother looking for it as it got lost in the site migration a couple of years ago (we haven't exactly been in a hurry to fix this particular review). I remember angrily pounding on my keyboard as I typed this thing, but beyond that I've been trying to forget the experience ever happened.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 11:05:08 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on November 18, 2013, 10:45:57 PM

I finished Kameo and really didn't like it. I know some people do, but I just found it incredibly tedious. It was one of the first games I got for the 360 so I didn't want to give it up without finishing it.

I guess I'm one of those people that actually liked Kameo, despite some frustrations with it. 

I don't have much tolerance for shitty games anymore, so I can't remember than last actual bad game I played for too long.  Obviously I play some games that I find fun in despite their shortcomings, like Knack, but then I don't consider those bad games. 

Oh, having said that, I have bought some real stinkers on Steam, especially racing games like Fireburst, 2XL Supercross and FlatOut 3.  I'm a sucker for trying to find an unknown gem in genres I like. 
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 11:09:21 PM by EngineNo9 » Logged

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 11:11:03 PM »

hmmm... tough question.  I've played plenty of games that have fucked it up at the end but were otherwise decent, but if they're not grabbing me within the first few hours I ditch them.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 11:12:45 PM »

Black Hole Assault It was a really horrible fighting game for the Sega CD. Think Street Fighter 1, but with even less features. It was bad, but for some reason I played the heck out of it.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 11:14:44 PM »

The Bourne Identity.  or conspiracy, or whatever the subtitle of the crap game was called.

I've got a post on it in here somewhere, but the gist of it was due to a bad fighting system, which was shoe-horned into a game where people are shooting at you while you are fighting hand to hand with no way to get out of it or respond to it.  and where the animators were so enamored with their context sensitive attacks that they forced you to rely on them to beat the bosses as normal attacks were only useful for getting punched in the face.  and they topped it off with a bad end fight with a secret timer and a checkpoint which could leave you with no way to finish it in time.  

in short, the best way to progress through a game based around a bad-ass killing machine was to use firearms.  

Andrew Wonser

A porcupine quilt made of porcupine quills.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2013, 11:18:29 PM »

I'm sure I've played worse but the two that come to mind right away are Postal 2 and Painkiller.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2013, 11:41:24 PM »

Quote from: Andrew Wonser on November 18, 2013, 11:18:29 PM

I'm sure I've played worse but the two that come to mind right away are Postal 2 and Painkiller.

Wait, the first Painkiller?  Or one of these late expansion/sequels done by other developers?

rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2013, 01:05:26 AM »

For me, it was one of the more popular games ( and game franchises ) around.  I got talked into playing The Sims. The person who talked me into it totally raved about how much fun it was.  I just didnt get it.  It struck me as totally boring and mundane.  Worst gaming money i ever spent.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2013, 01:05:42 AM »

ET
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2013, 01:22:33 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on November 18, 2013, 11:41:24 PM

Quote from: Andrew Wonser on November 18, 2013, 11:18:29 PM

Wait, the first Painkiller?  Or one of these late expansion/sequels done by other developers?

The first Painkiller was fun. later 'stand-alone expansions', not so much... many of those were done by modders and just made official.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2013, 01:36:23 AM »

I've told this story before (probably on OO), but it's worth repeating.

Might & Magic IX isn't the worst game ever made, but for me it sticks out in my mind. The year is 2002. I've just bought a house and I'm getting married in a couple of months. Money is extremely tight. But M&M IX has just come out and I can't resist. The first PC RPG I ever finished was M&M III - I had spent hundreds of hours playing M&M IV, V, VI, VII, and VIII. I had not read any previews or reviews for the game, keeping my experience fresh and exciting. I walk into EB, plunk my money down, run home, put it in and...

WTF is this? Disappointing, unpolished buggy piece of shit. I was so pissed I actually took the game out of the CD drive, put it back in the box, and threw the whole damn thing in the trash. To this day it is the ONLY game I have ever physically thrown in the garbage.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2013, 01:38:16 AM »

Loved clouds/world of Xeen.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2013, 01:43:12 AM »

Quote from: msduncan on November 19, 2013, 01:05:42 AM

ET

you know, that might be mine too.  I remember playing a ton of it as a kid, well before I knew the game sucked.

Because I can,
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2013, 02:33:24 AM »

Skyward Sword is the most recent I can think of. I'm sure it's not the worst, but it bugged the shit out of me and I finally couldn't take it anymore.

Walk 5 feet and talk to a guy.
"You will go to the forest"
"I will go to the forest"

Someone else enters the room
"You will go to the forest"
"I will go to the forest"

Finally allowed to leave the room, but there's someone in the hall now.
"Are you going to the forest?"
"I am going to the forest"

Then you get outside where you see the guard at the door.
"Are you going to the forest?"
"I am going to the forest."

Over and over and over and over again. 5 feet. Conversation. 5 feet. Conversation. All about the same thing. Pokemon games have more gameplay without stopping.

Hated it and I don't care what you say. It sucked!!  Tongue

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2013, 02:44:07 AM »

I can't remember the name of the game, but my worst game was a college basketball game for the PS1. It was a complete mess of a game. I remember simming a season and every team had one player who averaged 90% of their team's points (e.g. Usually ~50 points a game). I was so posses off that I wrote a scathing email to the company. The next day I had a response from their president apologizing for the game!
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2013, 02:58:19 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 19, 2013, 01:43:12 AM

ET

you know, that might be mine too.  I remember playing a ton of it as a kid, well before I knew the game sucked.

I played that as a kid too, and I remember assuming I was just too young/dumb to figure it out.   icon_confused

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2013, 03:00:51 AM »

Battlecruiser 2000AD
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2013, 03:52:31 AM »

Ever?  Way back in the day, I used to type in programs from Antic magazine.  All the games were pretty simple but most had pages of code.  That's where I learned that even one small error can ruin a program.  So it could take hours to type in and debug.  One was supposed to be a strategy game but turned out to be a number pattern puzzle game.  I hated it and hated that I had wasted all that time on it.  As I recall sometimes it would produce an invalid pattern, and you couldn't win.

More recently, I've tried to avoid awful games, but Geist and the Bionic Commando reboot had me intrigued.  I should have trusted reviews on those.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2013, 04:37:01 AM »

Daikitana. That game was hyped for so long and pumped so heavily by it's creator John Romero

...but in the end it was just a complete steaming pile of digital crap!
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2013, 05:00:39 AM »

Ooh, I have a good one: that Yaris Xbox 360 arcade game!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 05:03:19 AM by EngineNo9 » Logged

Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2013, 06:42:35 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on November 19, 2013, 03:00:51 AM

Battlecruiser 2000AD

I think you mean 3000AD.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2013, 06:57:16 AM »

Quote from: Jumangi on November 19, 2013, 06:42:35 AM

Quote from: Turtle on November 19, 2013, 03:00:51 AM

Battlecruiser 2000AD

I think you mean 3000AD.

No, the game was so bad, it set both me and gaming back by 1000 years.

slywink
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2013, 07:23:39 AM »

Without Hyperbole, since this is all subjective, I have to say Rome: Total War 2.

A new one
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2013, 11:36:09 AM »

I remember getting Airwolf for the NES. I was so disappointed, and kept playing it thinking I just needed to figure out how to play it so I'd have fun...
It wasn't all bad though, the boxart looked nice, and made me draw helicopters a lot during a very short time when I was 9.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2013, 11:39:58 AM »

There was a "game" I played when I was 10 maybe? It was powered by a VCR, yep. It was like top gun and you used a gun to point at the screen and shoot down jets. Wow. Anyone remember wtf I'm talking about?
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2013, 12:47:50 PM »

I found the name of the basketball game that was so bad - NCAA Final Four 97. Just seeing the cover is bringing back horrible memories.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2013, 12:51:42 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 19, 2013, 01:43:12 AM

ET

you know, that might be mine too.  I remember playing a ton of it as a kid, well before I knew the game sucked.

I still hold that game isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be.  Mediocre, yes.  It's biggest crime was being was a high profile game that was rushed out the door.  Yeah, it's not the most intuitive game, but any 2600 game that tried to be more than an arcade port was pretty much impenetrable without the manual (and often even with the manual).  

Pac-Man for the 2600 was far worse, because everyone knew what Pac-Man was supposed to be like, and it was a far cry from the arcade version.

I've got a cart for my 2600 that has every game ever commercially released, and it is littered with games that make E.T. look like Half-Life in comparison.

As for my worst game, I'm going to go with Corridor 7 by Capstone.  A below average FPS built on the Wolf3D engine after Doom was out - bleah.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 12:57:19 PM by Laner » Logged
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2013, 01:01:18 PM »

The Temple of Elemental Evil   - game was a buggy piece of crap that was eventually patched into a good game.   I still haven't finished it

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2013, 02:28:27 PM »

The recent SimCity is jumping to the front of my mind. 

"The city sim where you can do everything but simulate a city!"

"Run out of things to do in your city after just 2 hours!"

"Why build a sprawling metropolis when you can build just a few blocks!"

"Social integration sounds so great as a bullet point, so who cares if it actually works!
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2013, 02:58:50 PM »

KOTOR II was one I sunk many an hour into.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2013, 03:09:50 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on November 19, 2013, 01:01:18 PM

The Temple of Elemental Evil   - game was a buggy piece of crap that was eventually patched into a good game.   I still haven't finished it

I have it from GOG, first thing I did was install the community fixes.

still haven't played it though.

Because I can,
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2013, 03:10:33 PM »

Oh, I almost forgot about

I was so excited about it, even ran out to get it on release day, and then... wow.  I don't recall even learning the game enough to kill a single dinosaur.  I do seem to remember moving a crate, though.

Quote from: Eel Snave on November 18, 2013, 10:32:08 PM

As a corollary, what's the worst game you ever played for far, far longer than you should have?

Tass Times in Tone Town.

Why did I keep trying?  Why didn't I just give up?  Didn't it bother me that I'd just randomly die inexplicably after like 3 minutes?
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2013, 05:57:40 PM »

oh god, I remember that.  I also remember trying to rotate the hand around to point the gun back at myself.  I figured even the player would want to end it rather than suffer through another crate stacking "puzzle"

Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2013, 07:50:41 PM »

Quote from: Laner on November 19, 2013, 12:51:42 PM

Pac-Man for the 2600 was far worse, because everyone knew what Pac-Man was supposed to be like, and it was a far cry from the arcade version.

You are 100% correct about that. Pac Man was a travesty on the 2600. I also seem to recall they priced it higher, like $60, which just added to the disappointment. Although I only played ET a bit it just seemed like a confusing game to me.

I can still clearly recall the terrible Pac Man dot munching and power pellet sounds. That's how badly memorable the whole package was.

As for my worst game, I'm going to go with Corridor 7 by Capstone.  A below average FPS built on the Wolf3D engine after Doom was out - bleah.

Back on AOL when chat was a thing one of the Capstone guys offered to send me Corridor 7 for free. I actually said "no thanks".  icon_razz

Along those lines there was the other FPS 3D game William Shatner's:Tek War. It used an early version of Build3D (e.g. Duke 3D engine) before it was completed which didn't help. That was a confusing mess of a game and not fun in the least.
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2013, 07:58:41 PM »

Quote from: Hrothgar on November 19, 2013, 03:52:31 AM

More recently, I've tried to avoid awful games, but Geist and the Bionic Commando reboot had me intrigued.  I should have trusted reviews on those.

i talked with someone who did QA on Geist - i think i remember he said there was one part where you could run out of ammo at a critical point in the game, so the solution came to be - make ammo unlimited.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2013, 08:05:45 PM »

oh god, I remember that.  I also remember trying to rotate the hand around to point the gun back at myself.  I figured even the player would want to end it rather than suffer through another crate stacking "puzzle"

I actually talked a total stranger out of buying that game. The sales guy at EB? Babbage's? was NOT amused.  icon_biggrin
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: