http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 02:38:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: DLC isn't going away any time soon.  What price point makes you pull the trigger?
$0 - If it was worth playing, it's on the disc already. - 5 (17.9%)
$1 - Give me those app prices! - 4 (14.3%)
$2-5 - A cup of coffee or 4 hours of gameplay...hmmm - 12 (42.9%)
$6-10 - Lunch, or The Brigmore Witches DLC?  I'll starve. - 7 (25%)
$10 - 15 - Premium stuff here.  Serious business. - 0 (0%)
$15+ - So nice I'll buy it twice! - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 28

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the DLC sweet-spot price point for you?  (Read 659 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: August 13, 2013, 05:15:56 PM »

Let's not talk about all the songs I have on Rock Band for a moment....   icon_eek

I find that my sweet spot is somewhere around 5 bucks, but maxes out at 10 for most DLC.  I never buy map packs, but I'll buy things that extend the single player experience.  (i.e. Fallout 3 / Skyrim DLC)   How about you?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 05:18:50 PM »

I can't answer the question as asked.

If I like a game I'll buy DLC regardless of price point if I think the value is there.

I've only ever made one bad decision: pre-buying the season pass for Gears of War Judgment. That game is a giant turd and I haven't played it beyond the 2nd week it was out.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 05:22:26 PM »

aint got a friggin clue with your options....800 MSP is usually my limit for DLC,so whatever that works out to with your American dollars

Of course there have been exceptions,like Oblivion etc

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 05:23:27 PM »

$0

Stop trying to milk us
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 05:31:46 PM »

Quote from: naednek on August 13, 2013, 05:23:27 PM

$0

Stop trying to milk us

I think this is an antiquated mindset.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 05:47:30 PM »

Agreed, DLC and F2P are here to stay, so stop 'get off my lawn'-ing slywink

I don't find the poll very useful though simply because there are tons of types of dlc.  Is it an expansion, a few cosmetics, a single new level?  I pay based on what it seems like it is worth. Granted if it's under $2 I might be more apt to buy it anyway, but I've paid a lot more than that before.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 05:48:06 PM »

Correct opinions are never antiquated.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 05:51:05 PM »

Yeah, the poll doesn't really work for me, either.  Sometimes DLC looks like those things we used to call expansion packs, in which case I'd be willing to pay more.  Sometimes DLC is clearly just optional fluff, in which case my "are you kidding me?" sensors go off and I'm only willing to pay a few bucks if I'm even tempted at all.

The middle ground DLC offerings are case by case.  If I feel like I'm going to be nickel & dimed, I won't even buy the product in the first place.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 05:51:35 PM »

Depends on the DLC.  Dishonored has been releasing DLC that is basically expansion packs.  The Knife of Dunwal + The Bridgmore Witches are $10 each and offers one complete 8-10 hours story.  I am very happy to pay $20 for a full on expansion so that is a great price.

However, if your DLC is a single character or weapon then you probably can’t make it cheap enough for me to buy it.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 06:32:29 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on August 13, 2013, 05:51:05 PM

Yeah, the poll doesn't really work for me, either.  Sometimes DLC looks like those things we used to call expansion packs, in which case I'd be willing to pay more.  Sometimes DLC is clearly just optional fluff, in which case my "are you kidding me?" sensors go off and I'm only willing to pay a few bucks if I'm even tempted at all.

The middle ground DLC offerings are case by case.  If I feel like I'm going to be nickel & dimed, I won't even buy the product in the first place.

The only game I bought "DLC" was for borderlands 2 and in reality it was just 1 big expansion pack.  It was worth the $$$ they were asking for the season pass.  But when you get these microtransaction DLC's like the horse armor in Oblivion and the different skins in other games it's just crap and milking the consumer based.  Unfortunately the consumer base are lemmings and supported this buy paying for it.  Now it's part of the gaming culture unfortunately.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 07:09:20 PM »

I usually wait for the DLC to go on sale, so $5 is about my price range unless it's huge like some of Skyrim's were.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 07:14:00 PM »

Quote from: naednek on August 13, 2013, 06:32:29 PM

The only game I bought "DLC" was for borderlands 2 and in reality it was just 1 big expansion pack.  It was worth the $$$ they were asking for the season pass.  But when you get these microtransaction DLC's like the horse armor in Oblivion and the different skins in other games it's just crap and milking the consumer based.  Unfortunately the consumer base are lemmings and supported this buy paying for it.  Now it's part of the gaming culture unfortunately.

Citing horse armor as an example is like citing having to hand crank as a reason you won't drive a horseless carriage.

DLC has moved so far beyond that point.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 07:18:24 PM »

I think that ATB's profile has been hacked by EA slywink.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2013, 07:27:07 PM »

Quote from: ATB on August 13, 2013, 07:14:00 PM

Citing horse armor as an example is like citing having to hand crank as a reason you won't drive a horseless carriage.

You think so?  There are still plenty of purely cosmetic DLC offerings out there.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 07:32:41 PM »

But when you get these microtransaction DLC's like the horse armor in Oblivion and the different skins in other games it's just crap and milking the consumer based.  Unfortunately the consumer base are lemmings and supported this buy paying for it.  Now it's part of the gaming culture unfortunately.

Why is it unfortunate?  It keeps gaming prices down and it hasn't decreased the amount of content that comes with games.  Personally, I would never buy cosmetic stuff, but if people want to do so and it means games will stay the same price for 12+ years, I'm all for it.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2013, 07:46:06 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on August 13, 2013, 07:32:41 PM

But when you get these microtransaction DLC's like the horse armor in Oblivion and the different skins in other games it's just crap and milking the consumer based.  Unfortunately the consumer base are lemmings and supported this buy paying for it.  Now it's part of the gaming culture unfortunately.

Why is it unfortunate?  It keeps gaming prices down and it hasn't decreased the amount of content that comes with games.  Personally, I would never buy cosmetic stuff, but if people want to do so and it means games will stay the same price for 12+ years, I'm all for it.

That's like saying going digital keeps game prices down.  No, both scenarios are not true...  Games routinely come out $60 brand new, with some exceptions.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2013, 08:14:18 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on August 13, 2013, 07:27:07 PM

Quote from: ATB on August 13, 2013, 07:14:00 PM

Of course. Not sure how there being cosmetic DLC that people want to buy is an issue.  I choose not to.

The only game I bought "DLC" was for borderlands 2 and in reality it was just 1 big expansion pack.  It was worth the $$$ they were asking for the season pass.  But when you get these microtransaction DLC's like the horse armor in Oblivion and the different skins in other games it's just crap and milking the consumer based.  Unfortunately the consumer base are lemmings and supported this buy paying for it.  Now it's part of the gaming culture unfortunately.

You think so?  There are still plenty of purely cosmetic DLC offerings out there.

Edit: Hmm not sure what happened. I wrote and I don't see the problem with that. I just choose not to buy them.  It's like putting after market rims or fins on your car...
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 12:41:53 AM by ATB » Logged
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2013, 10:45:14 PM »

I tend to wait for the Steam sales.  I got burned out on DLC purchases between the Call of Duty map packs that would only rekindle my MP fires for a week or two and the fact that the courses/packs for Tiger Woods never got discounted on 360.  So with the death of Rock Band, I've pretty much swore off DLC purchases on consoles. 

PC stuff, I will get DLC for games I haven't played in months when the Steam sales hit for stuff like cheap sprite packs on Paradox games (no music) or cheap DLC to other games like Magicka.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
brettmcd

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2013, 01:22:38 AM »

Mine is zero as the whole dlc model of milking people for cash sickens me.   
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2013, 02:48:54 AM »

As others have said, it all depends on the game and what kind of DLC.  For games I really enjoy I like to support those teams by buying their DLC.

I tend to prefer the higher cost DLC packs since that usually indicates that it is an expansion level of content.  I pretty much never buy the little $1-2 cosmetic/skin packs, unless they're on super sale in a larger combo on Steam or something.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2013, 04:03:35 AM »

I tend to wait for Steam/Amazon/GMG sales, and have only bought 1 Season Pass (BL2, based on the strength of the DLC from BL1).  Sale prices are attractive enough that I've got DLC for games I haven't played far enough to use, or even installed.  yeah, I know. 

I rarely buy them full price, with the exception of Dragonborn sized expansions, and have waited on those as well until the inevitable sale hits.  $10 is the sweet spot for that level of DLC imo, and for the small addon style items, like extra characters, $5 is perfect.  I don't buy the cosmetic dlc on its own, but have bought complete packs of games when it included them.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2013, 04:28:27 AM »

For the people who say $0, do you feel the same about the expansion packs of yesteryear?  And if you’re fine with expansion packs where and why do you draw the line at DLC? 
brettmcd

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2013, 05:05:03 AM »

Quote from: Lordnine on August 14, 2013, 04:28:27 AM

For the people who say $0, do you feel the same about the expansion packs of yesteryear?  And if you’re fine with expansion packs where and why do you draw the line at DLC? 

We now have day 1 dlc, that is what has totally turned me off of DLC.    Expansion packs are not this nickle and dime crap of oh its only 3 bucks, ill get this little thing here. and this little thing here......
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2013, 01:13:10 PM »

It's largely about the psychology of it.

Fun!  I'm so glad I bought this game!  Ooh, I can have a hat with a feather in it for just $2?  Hmmm....
Good.

Fun!  I'm so glad I bought this game!  Ooh, after launch they created even more content I can get for $10?  Hmmm....
Good.

I feel like they pulled some features out of the release plan so that they could be used as Day 1 DLC.
Bad.

This shitty game has been out for months, is still broken, and they're trying to sell me product placement?! (lookin' at you, SimCity)
Bad.

These assholes are trying to get me to pay another $5 every 2 weeks.
Bad.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2013, 01:50:25 PM »

yeah, like Metro: Last Light's 'Ranger Mode', which was billed as 'play the game the way it was meant to be played but only if you pre-ordered or if not then pay us moneys'.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2013, 02:44:33 PM »

Unless it is a game I absolutely have an urge to play right now, I've been training myself to wait for the inevitable Game of the Years edition. And then I usually wait for that to go on sale for at least 10-25% off.

This is much easier to do when you have a backlog.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2013, 03:04:02 PM »

Back in the day, I had no problem paying for expansion packs. They felt like mini expansions to the game you already played, and generally they were well worth the time/money investment.

Nowadays DLC is crap that either was 1) included on the disk already, and 2) done after the game was finished, but they didn't include on the disc...because.

DLC feels absolutely like a money grab now and nothing more. Short of some small exceptions (Bethesda stuff generally) anyhow.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2013, 03:56:10 PM »

While I wouldn’t dream of defending all companies, Capcom for example, is notorious for bad DLC practices. However, many companies produce day one DLC because its stuff a small team worked on between the time a game went gold and when it actually shipped.  Basically, the game WAS done but the company needed to give the team SOMETHING to do to justify giving them a paycheck, so they got put on DLC duty.

When you consider how large game development studios have ballooned to it makes sense that you can’t just have 30+ people sitting around with nothing to do for a month.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2013, 04:08:52 PM »

I believe I already answered your question...

Back in the day as you mentioned, expansion packs were easily 20 hours of game play.  The only DLC that comes close to that from what I know is borderlands 2 (as a season pass) and Grand Theft Auto 4 (the biker one, can't remember the name, sons of liberty?  I can't think of anything else that could be compared to expansion packs from back in the 90's/2000's.

Most of the DLC's that is out there now are multiplayer map packs, skin packs, weapon packs, item perks.  There are some exceptions, but most games with DLC's are designed from the start to nickel and dime you.  Most of the content have been already made prior to ship, and sometimes it's already on the dvd itself.  It really bugs me, and I think it's a bad practice that gamers helped support.   
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2013, 04:16:07 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on August 14, 2013, 03:56:10 PM

While I wouldn’t dream of defending all companies, Capcom for example, is notorious for bad DLC practices. However, many companies produce day one DLC because its stuff a small team worked on between the time a game went gold and when it actually shipped.  Basically, the game WAS done but the company needed to give the team SOMETHING to do to justify giving them a paycheck, so they got put on DLC duty.

When you consider how large game development studios have ballooned to it makes sense that you can’t just have 30+ people sitting around with nothing to do for a month.

Then maybe they should improve their business practices.   Maybe improve on the engine for the next version.  More than likely by the time the game is done and shipped they are working patching.  I don't really buy this excuse.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2013, 04:23:21 PM »

The people designing items or levels are not normally the same people working on engine upgrades.  I'm not sure you aren't blinding yourself here.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2013, 04:27:20 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on August 14, 2013, 04:23:21 PM

The people designing items or levels are not normally the same people working on engine upgrades.  I'm not sure you aren't blinding yourself here.

Ok, the point still stands, it's not my fault their development model is bad.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2013, 04:39:09 PM »

This is why I think it's more of a psychological thing.  I know that the Nissan LEAF® DLC designers for SimCity are probably not the same people in charge of fixing the broken game, but it doesn't stop me from getting disgruntled when they release Nissan LEAF® downloads and $9 hot air balloons before they fix the game.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2013, 04:57:43 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on August 14, 2013, 04:39:09 PM

This is why I think it's more of a psychological thing.  I know that the Nissan LEAF® DLC designers for SimCity are probably not the same people in charge of fixing the broken game, but it doesn't stop me from getting disgruntled when they release Nissan LEAF® downloads and $9 hot air balloons before they fix the game.

Heh, I liked the LEAF mainly because I own a leaf, and well it was free.  But with that said, it would annoy me.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2013, 05:49:33 PM »

I have spent 15.00 on maps for COD. I have spent whatever the costs were for the Mass Effect Expansions. I've bought maps in Gears of War. I've bought new charcters in Mortal Kombat.

I don't begrudge spending money on any of those things because they enhanced and expanded my gameplay experience is excellent ways.

Now I if had bought MK and it came with Scorpion and Sub-Zero was a paid DLC I'd have an issue.

But I don't know of any games that I've played where I felt like content was held back.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2013, 05:54:45 PM »

Quote from: naednek on August 14, 2013, 04:27:20 PM

Quote from: Harkonis on August 14, 2013, 04:23:21 PM

Ok, the point still stands, it's not my fault their development model is bad.
It’s not so much that development model is bad it’s that people expect a lot more from their games now.  AAA titles are not cheap and require a boatload of manpower to produce.  Even if a developer has moved onto the next game cycle, that project is going to be stuck in preproduction for a good long while.  Even if you assume that that will take half of the studio to work on, that leaves a ton of people without direct work.  

I mean, once again there are really bad studios that exploit DLC for all it’s worth but you shouldn’t hold the industry accountable for a few bad studios.
brettmcd

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2013, 06:20:15 PM »

One other thing this dlc BS has done is guarantee I will never ever buy a game when it first comes out. 
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2013, 04:59:15 PM »

Quote from: naednek on August 13, 2013, 07:46:06 PM

That's like saying going digital keeps game prices down.  No, both scenarios are not true...  Games routinely come out $60 brand new, with some exceptions.

Most games are $60, and they have been since the start of this generation 8 years ago.  Since they're going to be $60 for the upcoming generation as well, that's at least 13 years of steady game prices.  Without DLC, I think next-gen games would have cost $70.

Back in the day as you mentioned, expansion packs were easily 20 hours of game play.
Yes, and they cost $30, not $10.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2013, 05:21:02 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on August 15, 2013, 04:59:15 PM

Most games are $60, and they have been since the start of this generation 8 years ago.  Since they're going to be $60 for the upcoming generation as well, that's at least 13 years of steady game prices.  Without DLC, I think next-gen games would have cost $70.

Back in the day as you mentioned, expansion packs were easily 20 hours of game play.

How much do you think a season pass costs?  $10?  If so, you're wrong.  it's $25-30, just like expansion packs.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2013, 08:40:33 PM »

Quote from: naednek on August 15, 2013, 05:21:02 PM

Quote from: EddieA on August 15, 2013, 04:59:15 PM

How much do you think a season pass costs?  $10?  If so, you're wrong.  it's $25-30, just like expansion packs.

They're usually $30, and for that, you get around the same amount of content as an old-style expansion pack.  It's not always easy to compare, as some season passes include characters, multiplayer map packs, etc. rather than easily-measured single-player content.  Some season passes give you a ton of content (Borderlands 2) while some don't give much at all, but that's exactly how it used to be with $30 expansion packs.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: