http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 02:39:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What I <3 about Fallout 3. (spoilers?)  (Read 6525 times)
msduncan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« on: November 06, 2008, 06:24:34 PM »

Kathode.... please pass on to your team that the most hardcore of gamers here in this forum and the "other" forum are blown away by your creation.

Among things I <3 about this game:

1.  The feel is right.    It really feels like there is this barren wasteland in front of you, with just enough reminders of a shattered world that you feel it for your character.  You want to be able to see what it was before the war for your character's sake.   
2. VATS.    I can't say enough about this.    GREAT great system.
3. Time cycles
4. Stories told in everything you find -- from skeletons to the cars and houses out in the wasteland
5. The sense that there is limitless exploration possibilities, which I know is not true but dangit it feels like it.
6.  The humor
7.  The flavor  (100% fallout done better)
8.  The graphic style.   The info posters and propaganda.   Love it.

Things I want for Fallout 4:

1.  More of the same.   
2.  A whole line of assessories to launch with the game that are Fallout specific from the world.     How about a few fake magazines or comics?   A Vault T-shirt.    A poster.   etc etc etc.    I love the collectors, but man I love this world so much I'd like the chance to buy a couple Fallout related loot items.   Know what I mean?    A pack of bottle caps, or even a nuka cola bottle (empty or filled with generic cola).

You get the idea.
Mattc0m

Hardcore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 06:31:33 PM »

1. The sense of exploration is much more finely tuned and rewarding than Oblivion. One of my complaints is that I wanted more unique areas, more scripted encounters, more reasons to explore and less "filler" area. Being big is nice... but it was big, bland, and boring for the most part. In this sense, I much preferred Gothic 2 (and to some extent Gothic 3) over Oblivion.

Fallout 3 is far more polished and rewarded when you scout around and explore. I love it.

2. The XP / leveling system. It's essentially Fallout with a few tweaks and changes... and I love it. It feels very refined and leveling up is so much fun.

3. The NPCs and characters have far more life, detail, and immersion than anything that Oblivion offered.

4. Quests are a bit more exciting, but some parts feel a bit too scripted. But I still really like it.

5. VATS is amazing. Whether you're launching missiles, flaming enemies, tossing grenades, bashing in heads with a sledgehammer, scoring headshots with a pistol, or taking long range rifle shots... it's all great.

6. The gore definitely gives it a bit more mature feel, which I dig. Sadly, the language and the "adult" themes could use a bit more fleshing out!

7. I love, love waiting and seeing the lighting change in front of my eyes. So cool.

8. I love find cool, little items like Bobbleheads, a Lucky 8 ball, and other stuff that helps you out. Definitely need more of these cool items that fit into the game world! No more star collection, folks.

Okay, okay. So I put in a few (minor) complaints. But overall, this game blew my mind. I was really frustrated with how Spore was "kidded" down, and Fable 2 was made a bit too "casual", but Fallout 3 seems mature, polished, and hardcore. I'm eating up every bit of gameplay and loving it to pieces.

matt "mattc0m" richards
new project: GamesCast TV: eSports Television
jament
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 06:39:00 PM »

I love that I don't have to play by the rules.  Sure, lots of open-ended games tell you that you don't have to do the main or side quests but if you don't, you're penalized and don't see a lot of the content.  So far at least, there have been several quests that I've just ignored, short-circuited or done my way (pickpocket, headshots or grenades) and I haven't felt penalized or that I'm going to miss out on something.

Really lets me RP the way I want to instead of how the designers thought I should, and I appreciate that.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 06:50:36 PM »

i was thinking that Fallout needed weather,but after putting some thought into it,the rain would prolly be Acid rain...so you would have to stay indoors if it happened,so not a good idea i guess..it would spoil the typical view of Apocolyptic aftermath that we are used to seeing in movies

i love the fact kinda like what MSduncan says(It really feels like there is this barren wasteland in front of you)
when you look across the barren wasteland,it is all there for you to see,and travel to...see that flyover on the horizon,lets go to it...looking in the direction for the location you are about to discover...yup,there it is..i guess Oblivion(sorry for comparing,can't help it)..was more hilly so you couldnt really have that long range vision

and also,Kudos to the view from the top of Tenpenny tower and Washington Monument..thats just gobsmacking right there

just when you think this game can't get any bigger you stumble across a massive metro system in DC(thats what i did today)

also i like how my character has turned out looking like Liam Neeson...only realised when i was viewing the VATS...but it fits well(okay so that may just be my game and not everyone elses,LOL)

EDIT:Oh,and i love how a game i love and play,is pretty much taking over this whole forum..myto wont be reading this as it has spoilers,but she really needs to get this game
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 06:53:03 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 06:55:52 PM »

Quote from: jament on November 06, 2008, 06:39:00 PM

I love that I don't have to play by the rules.  Sure, lots of open-ended games tell you that you don't have to do the main or side quests but if you don't, you're penalized and don't see a lot of the content.  So far at least, there have been several quests that I've just ignored, short-circuited or done my way (pickpocket, headshots or grenades) and I haven't felt penalized or that I'm going to miss out on something.

Really lets me RP the way I want to instead of how the designers thought I should, and I appreciate that.

i agree completely.  although some people say it's pretty black and white, i see it differently.  sure, there are some definite decisions you can make which are wholly evil, but there are so many other little places where you can take the middle ground or have a mix of good and bad and still complete the quest.  if only more games gave you the option as they do here.  

fo3 has taken the #1 spot for this year and probably this generation, at least for me. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 04:48:18 PM »

A Vault T-shirt.    A poster.   etc etc etc.    I love the collectors, but man I love this world so much I'd like the chance to buy a couple Fallout related loot items.   Know what I mean?    A pack of bottle caps, or even a nuka cola bottle (empty or filled with generic cola).
I'm waiting on Bethesda to send it, but we'll be giving away a copy of the CE with all the signatures of the devs on it.  It'll come with a Fallout 3 vault T-Shirt from my own collection as my addition.  You aren't getting my bottle of Nuka Cola though.  That stays with me. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 08:26:14 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on November 06, 2008, 06:50:36 PM

also i like how my character has turned out looking like Liam Neeson...only realised when i was viewing the VATS...but it fits well(okay so that may just be my game and not everyone elses,LOL)

Do you mean Liam in real life or that your character looks like Liam's character?  Because making Dad look like you is intentional.  You only get a blurry look at Dad's face before you make your choices and the game creates a "Dad" that looks like he's related to you.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2008, 02:33:03 AM »

Quote from: Sarkus on November 08, 2008, 08:26:14 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on November 06, 2008, 06:50:36 PM

Do you mean Liam in real life or that your character looks like Liam's character?  Because making Dad look like you is intentional.  You only get a blurry look at Dad's face before you make your choices and the game creates a "Dad" that looks like he's related to you.

sorry,i meant actually like Liam Neeson..i saw my dad(ingame dad icon_lol) up close while playing today and he was a lot different than Liam Neeson in the real world,i was quite suprised

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2008, 03:35:51 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on November 08, 2008, 04:48:18 PM

A Vault T-shirt.    A poster.   etc etc etc.    I love the collectors, but man I love this world so much I'd like the chance to buy a couple Fallout related loot items.   Know what I mean?    A pack of bottle caps, or even a nuka cola bottle (empty or filled with generic cola).
I'm waiting on Bethesda to send it, but we'll be giving away a copy of the CE with all the signatures of the devs on it.  It'll come with a Fallout 3 vault T-Shirt from my own collection as my addition.  You aren't getting my bottle of Nuka Cola though.  That stays with me. smile

Wait a sec.....what bottle of Nuka Cola????
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2008, 05:43:19 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on November 09, 2008, 03:35:51 PM

Ron's a punk and got it from some Bethesda thing. And he won't share. Tongue

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2008, 05:48:48 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 09, 2008, 05:43:19 PM

Quote from: msduncan on November 09, 2008, 03:35:51 PM

Ron's a punk and got it from some Bethesda thing. And he won't share. Tongue

I aw them at PAX.  Brian Crescente was showing it to me....was something they were only giving to press.  It was basically a glass bottle with Nuka Cola labeling and filled with brown liquid of some manner. I did manage to score a hand puppet that looks like the Fallout boy thing.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2008, 10:25:40 PM »

Dangit Kathode!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Why didn't you guys put this stuff out there for people to purchase at launch???  I would have bought a Nuka Cola in a heartbeat -- and a Vault 101 shirt too!!!!!
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2008, 01:24:40 AM »

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2008, 12:00:05 PM »

frown

I really want one of those Nuka Colas.

crybaby
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2008, 02:20:59 PM »

I also have a VaultTec Viewmaster with 3D images from the wastes. smile  Yes.  I am evil

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2008, 03:20:22 PM »

I actually got to taste one of those Nuka Colas.  I... don't recommend it.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2008, 03:25:02 PM »

Quote from: kathode on November 10, 2008, 03:20:22 PM

Did you let it age for 100-200 years at 2-5 rads/second and then consume it chilled?
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2008, 07:48:22 PM »

Slide your forum friends a Nuka Cola....   did I mention I consider myself your best friend here?  slywink
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2008, 02:29:18 PM »

Tastes like radiation.
somoflange
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2008, 03:06:05 PM »

The thing I love the most is no 2 people play the game the same. You start off dead center in the map, so depending on which direction you start heading determines the path your story goes. It's nearly impossible to talk about the game without spoilers because everyone takes a different route and sees different stuff.

In my 45+ hour first playthrough I barely scratched the surface. I didn't even find the fatman the first pass! I can see myself playing this another 2-3 times over the next year.

My first play centered around megaton, so I will probably blow it up next play to force me to hang out elsewhere.

I have a friend who has put in a good 30+ hours as an evil character and hasn't even taken on a single quest, just shoots everyone in the head and takes their loot, moves on to next angry mob. Apparently Jericho is funny enough to make that path worth it.

PSN: plantatreeforlee
Live: blastdsamoflanj
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2008, 03:41:48 PM »

Quote from: somoflange on November 12, 2008, 03:06:05 PM

I didn't even find the fatman the first pass!

How did you not find the fat man?  When you approach GNR and fight that big mutant, they tell you to pick up the fat man off of a dead soldier.

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2008, 03:45:13 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on November 12, 2008, 03:41:48 PM

How did you not find the fat man?  When you approach GNR and fight that big mutant, they tell you to pick up the fat man off of a dead soldier.

really? I missed that as well...sigh...

A new one
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2008, 03:45:45 PM »

I actually missed the text prompt the first time around and IIRC, I killed the behemoth using "normal" means only to find a Fatman on one of the brotherhood soldiers after the battle.  Realizing that, I reloaded and used the fatman.  
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2008, 03:47:32 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 12, 2008, 03:45:45 PM

I actually missed the text prompt the first time around and IIRC, I killed the behemoth using "normal" means only to find a Fatman on one of the brotherhood soldiers after the battle.  Realizing that, I reloaded and used the fatman.  
I killed the mutant by letting the Brotherhood do all the work because I couldn't ifnd the soldier when it asked me to.  When I did find him, the fight just ended. smile

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2008, 03:53:24 PM »

I hit that encounter at night and had no idea where the dead soldier was.  There were so many super-mutant bodies lying around, it was hard to tell if one of them might've been on top of the fat man location.  I didn't know if I was looking for a body to loot or a weapon lying on the ground.  I reloaded several times as I went on suicide scavenger runs trying to find it, until I gave up on it and just found a safe place to plink away at the bad guy for victory.  It wasn't until I came back to the area in the daylight that I finally found the soldier I was supposed to find.
somoflange
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2008, 04:12:38 PM »

It wasn't on my soldier. had dogtags, power armor, no fatman. I searched all over the area, no fatman.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2008, 04:41:20 PM »

Quote from: somoflange on November 12, 2008, 04:12:38 PM

It wasn't on my soldier. had dogtags, power armor, no fatman. I searched all over the area, no fatman.

It's there...you just missed it.  There a quite a few soldier bodies, so it can be easy to miss.  It took me a good bit to actually find it.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2008, 04:55:07 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on November 12, 2008, 04:41:20 PM

How did you not find the fat man?
It can be easy to miss.  It took me a good bit to actually find it.
slywink
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2008, 05:11:31 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 12, 2008, 04:55:07 PM

Quote from: The Grue on November 12, 2008, 04:41:20 PM

How did you not find the fat man?
It can be easy to miss.  It took me a good bit to actually find it.
slywink

Yeah, but I knew it was there somewhere and found it. Tongue

somoflange
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2008, 08:39:40 PM »

I know it's supposed to be there, it just isn't.  icon_biggrin (I scoured the area, every body).

It's not the only missing item I've encountered that should have been there, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's a glitch. Maybe the NPC that was supposed to carry it died some other way/location. I suppose it's possible it's hiding in a tiny gib somewhere.

I've had about 3 other NPC's disappear before I could finish their quests, so it's not the only time I've seen something like that happen.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2008, 08:40:50 PM »

Quote from: somoflange on November 12, 2008, 08:39:40 PM

I know it's supposed to be there, it just isn't.  icon_biggrin (I scoured the area, every body).

It's not the only missing item I've encountered that should have been there, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's a glitch. Maybe the NPC that was supposed to carry it died some other way/location. I suppose it's possible it's hiding in a tiny gib somewhere.

I've had about 3 other NPC's disappear before I could finish their quests, so it's not the only time I've seen something like that happen.

Could be.  If he died in a different way, though, the item would still be there.  I am not sure whether he was dead before you get there or if he dies during the melee.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2008, 08:44:36 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on November 12, 2008, 08:40:50 PM

Could be.  If he died in a different way, though, the item would still be there.  I am not sure whether he was dead before you get there or if he dies during the melee.

Already dead I believe- IIRC I took the fatman off of his body before the behemoth even shows up. 
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2008, 08:45:36 PM »

My fatman marine's corpse was against the fountain in the center of the square.  Was that not a prescripted place for him to end up?  It just seemed so likely to be posed.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2008, 08:50:18 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 12, 2008, 08:45:36 PM

My fatman marine's corpse was against the fountain in the center of the square.  Was that not a prescripted place for him to end up?  It just seemed so likely to be posed.

I've played that sequence a couple of times and the location of the body with the fatman is not scripted.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2008, 08:50:36 PM »

That's exactly where I found it.  
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2008, 08:52:10 PM »

Dun dun dun....
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2008, 08:54:44 PM »

Quote from: Sarkus on November 12, 2008, 08:50:18 PM

I've played that sequence a couple of times and the location of the body with the fatman is not scripted.

It is scripted, but it's a ragdoll that can be affected by explosions that might have taken place.  Most commonly found right at the front of the fountain.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2008, 02:20:00 AM »

I didn't even bother with the GNR until after I hit Rivet City. I still got the scripted battle, but I didn't bother with finding the fatman. 7 or 8 bottlecap mines and down came big guy. Man I love this game. So many ways to tackle things, and so many different ways to approach it.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: