http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 07:23:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What has happened to Square?  (Read 2025 times)
angrycoder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: April 07, 2005, 02:20:08 AM »

Square is one of the companies that is responsible for putting the Sony Playstation on the map. They pretty much single handledly defined the 3d RPG for a generation.

On the PS1 they released 3 final fantasy RPG games + final fantasy tactics. The PS1 also saw Xenosaga, Chrono Cross, Vagrant Story, Legend of Mana, Parasite Eve, and Front Mission 3.

So my question is, what the hell has square been up to this generation? I mean we have only seen 1 real final fantasy game from them, FFX. I am not counting the online only FFXI or the rediculous side story FFX-2: Whores in Tights. As far as non FF games, there has been 1 good title (Kingdom Hearts) and the rest have been marginal at best: Front Mission 4, Musashi, and 1 or 2 Saga games. Other than FF12 in the pipeline, what are they up to? Have the pretty much given up on this generation?

And what about the much hearlded merger with Enix, what have we seen from that? Star Ocean? Thats it? Anything else in the pipe other than the sponge worthy DQ8?

What the hell are these bozos up to? I swear Square is pulling a Nintendo.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2005, 02:39:01 AM »

They've got quite a bit in the oven right now:

This year sees the incredible triple threat of FFXII, KH2, and the US release of DQ8.  

Tri-Ace (Star Ocean 3 developer) just released Radiata Stories in Japan where its gotten excellent reviews and that title should be making its way here later this year or early next.  

Front Mission Online is in the pipeline.  

Grandia 3 was just announced for release in Japan later this year.  

You can discount FFX-2 and FFXI (and Final Fantasy Chrystal Chronicles)for not being "true" FF games but that doesn't remove the resources required to create those games that have taken their teams away from working on other, more conventional Console RPG offerings.  

There is also Final Fantasy Tactics Advance and the FF1&2 Dawn of Souls GBA games as well as the upcoming FFIII and Crystal Chronicles for the DS.  

Also later this year brings the FF7 spinoff Dirge of Cerebus for the PS2 as well as the FF7 Action-RPG Crisis Core for the PSP.  

This may seem heavily loaded for the end of this generation but remember that most of the titles you listed were released in the final two years of the PSX's life.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2005, 03:21:14 AM »

Don't forget Code Age Commanders, an action rpg type game

http://ps2.ign.com/objects/716/716856.html

Square_Enix really look like they're gonna blow up this year with the releases.

Can't beat a new FF, DQ, finally a good REAL english version of FF3 and we can actually see the Crystal Chronicles gameplay style work without all that extra stuff. Add on top of that the fact that the rest of their games are shaping up to be solid if not great and they're definately coming through in the end years for the PS2

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2005, 03:24:51 AM »

Is there any reason you crazy bastards are forgetting DRAGON FRIGGING QUEST 8!!!???

Noobs biggrin That and FFXII in the next 12 months is more than enough for me-Squenix can do whatever they want as long as I get those soon.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2005, 03:44:23 AM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
Radiata Stories

THANK YOU for mentioning that game - really want that one soooon.  Looks great!  Plus, if Tri-Ace is in anyway involved, that's good news.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2005, 03:52:50 AM »

I will chant Square-Enix 40 times when I have Kingdom Hearts 2 in my hands.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2005, 04:10:13 AM »

Quote from: "angrycoder"
Square is one of the companies that is responsible for putting the Sony Playstation on the map. They pretty much single handledly defined the 3d RPG for a generation.

On the PS1 they released 3 final fantasy RPG games + final fantasy tactics. The PS1 also saw Xenosaga, Chrono Cross, Vagrant Story, Legend of Mana, Parasite Eve, and Front Mission 3.

I'm going to point out two things here.  One, Xenogears, not Xenosaga.  Two Xenosaga is ...erk...nevermind.  Xenogears was done by Square-Enix, not a Namco dev.  They went to Namco for the Xenosaga series.  I'm gonna differ with you on Front Mission 4 being mediocre.  I'd argue that Front Mission 3 was unique.  I felt the other Front Mission titles we never saw weren't near as good in the first place.  The PSX ones (aside from 3) were plagued by poor load times, or battles so huge it took hours to play a single battle out.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2005, 04:21:22 AM »

DRAGON QUEST 8 NINJAS!!

And TML, why am I not suprised you liked KH biggrin
Rogue
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2005, 04:48:57 AM »

Don't forget Full Metal Alchemist or Drakengard!

On second thought, maybe you should. :evil:

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2005, 05:09:50 AM »

Quote from: "Rage"
Is there any reason you crazy bastards are forgetting DRAGON FRIGGING QUEST 8!!!???

Who forgot DQ8 ?

Quote from: "Original Post by Angrycoder"
And what about the much hearlded merger with Enix, what have we seen from that? Star Ocean? Thats it? Anything else in the pipe other than the sponge worthy DQ8?

Quote from: "my post"
This year sees the incredible triple threat of FFXII, KH2, and the US release of DQ8.

Quote from: "Tebunker's Post"
Can't beat a new FF, DQ, finally a good REAL english version of FF3 and we can actually see the Crystal Chronicles gameplay style work without all that extra stuff.

Then your post.  Doesn't look like any one has forgot DQ8 smile
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2005, 05:17:23 AM »

I'm guessing the fact that I usually (not joking) look at entire paragraphs at a time when I read is why i missed that. Its a bad habit I got when I speed-read. I was always a fast reader as a very young kid, and when I got to college I developed this paragraph thing that apparently some speed readers do, anywhoo, it worked well the first year of law cshool and I have a bad, bad tendency to do it on the internet. Consequently, I missed some of the detail, like DQ8 instead of Dragon Quest 8 or some such. I wish I just made that up, but I didnt.

Either way, you have reedemed yourself, go forth and be not a noob any longer.

Oh yeah, wtf is up with a release date? Dont keep us hanging like that Squenix-same with FFXII, its been what, 4 years?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2005, 05:40:44 AM »

Quote from: "Rage"

Oh yeah, wtf is up with a release date? Dont keep us hanging like that Squenix-same with FFXII, its been what, 4 years?

I'm guessing the release dates for FFXII, KH2, and DQ8 all hinge on FFXII.  Squenix has two guaranteed blockbusters there and have high hopes of finally breaking Dragon Quest through to the American market. Giving each title room to breath is pretty important.

Unfortunately, FFXII has been delayed so much I'm not even sure Square knows when it will be done.  Certainly before the year is out in Japan, but a stateside release this year isn't necessarily certain.  

Consequently, I think they are holding DQ8 in their hip pocket to play in the fall or winter if FFXII doesn't make it here.  I'm guessing one title in September and another in November/December.  I'd put KH2 in the September slot and I'm sure Square would love to have FFXII in that lucrative holiday slot but if it gets delayed then DQ8 might make a nice fit.  

If both FFXII and KH2 are ready to go for the end of the year then they might put DQ8 out this summer assuming the localization is done.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2005, 06:06:46 AM »

From what I read a while ago Square-Enix is trying to release Kingdom Hearts II simultaneously in Japan and here.  I believe the Japanese and English translations are being done hand-in-hand on that.

With Final Fantasy XII, no one really knows.  The game has been delayed before and if an English translation hasn't been going simultaneously I don't see FFXII making it here by the end of the year.  I would think by E3 Square-Enix may have its lineup and maybe we'll be surprised by a near-final FFXII or something *shrug*

Xbox Live: AgtFox
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2005, 06:34:28 AM »

Great RPGs tend to come out at the end of a system's life cycle.  So, expect alot of the 'future classics' to be released soon.

This is of course assuming you already know about all of Nippon Ichi's stuff, BoF:Dragon Quater, the Shadow Hearts, etc etc etc.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2005, 06:45:09 AM »

From what I read a while ago Square-Enix is trying to release Kingdom Hearts II simultaneously in Japan and here. I believe the Japanese and English translations are being done hand-in-hand on that.

In fact, wasn't KH released here before Japan?

But there's no doubt- KH2 will come out this year.  KH is Square's biggest franchise this generation in the US- its sales have surpasses FFXs.  Hell, the KH GBA game sold like gangbusters.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2005, 11:52:57 AM »

From what I read a while ago Square-Enix is trying to release Kingdom Hearts II simultaneously in Japan and here. I believe the Japanese and English translations are being done hand-in-hand on that.

Nope.  Was released on March 28th, 2002 in Japan and September 17th, 2002 here.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2005, 01:06:07 PM »

Please don't use the term "triple threat"  puke

Square is also likely on the next-gen bandwagon; they've said as much in interviews over the last year. They even indicated their willingness to develop on non-sony platforms as long as there is market buy-in.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2005, 01:39:05 PM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"

Nope.  Was released on March 28th, 2002 in Japan and September 17th, 2002 here.

Ah, thanks.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2005, 02:22:35 PM »

square is fine...

as mentioned by others, the combination of likely working on ps3 stuff, plus expending energy on the drakengard/musashi-type titles (tho i kinda understand why they do it, & assume it goes over better in japan than here, i, like most people here, really wish they wouldn't bother), has definitely ended up slowing things down on their major titles. but, if you enjoyed ffta, crystal chronicles & ffx2 (yes!) as much as i did, they don't look all that bad...

whether it's konami (mg), capcom (re, dmc), whoever, the really big 'theatrical' titles are always spread years apart. compound that with the pressure of having to out-do everything that's come before, & yeah, it takes forever... but it almost always proven worth the wait...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2005, 11:21:49 PM »

Has there ever been any word about porting Dragon Warrior 4 to the GBA like they did for the first 1-3 on GBC? I never did get to play that one and I have been told its great.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2005, 11:46:09 PM »

Quote from: "Kagath"
Has there ever been any word about porting Dragon Warrior 4 to the GBA like they did for the first 1-3 on GBC? I never did get to play that one and I have been told its great.
No, but what if they ported all the low-tech ones to the PSP in one big package?!   :shock:

Man, that's be heaven.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
depward

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2005, 12:16:27 AM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
No, but what if they ported all the low-tech ones to the PSP in one big package?!   :shock:

Man, that's be heaven.

If they went port-crazy with the DW series and FF series, man-alive would they sell copies like hotcakes.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2005, 03:20:55 AM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"

Man, that's be heaven.

Screw that, they need to bring over DQ5 and DQ6 which were never even released over here.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2005, 04:39:16 AM »

Holy goddamnit what I wouldnt give for the missing DQs to come over-or for the old ones to make it on a compilation disc for ps2 like they did for FF on PS1.

IF they ported all the FFs and all the DQs to PSP, I would buy it in a hearbeat smile
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2005, 05:51:42 AM »

There was a DQ5 remake released in Japan, and I think it's possible that it will be released on the PS2 or the PSP in the US someday.  DQ4 is kind of stuck in-between, as its PSOne remake was cancelled for the US when the company localizing it went out of business.  It would be a good fit for the DS.  If DQ8 is as successful as I think it will be, I'm sure Square Enix won't let the previous entries go to waste, especially given the long gaps between each DQ release.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: