http://gamingtrend.com
November 22, 2014, 06:18:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: what has been your worse game this gen?  (Read 3995 times)
jblank
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: October 19, 2009, 04:16:40 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on October 18, 2009, 12:54:48 AM

Too Human. I bought it because I saw a review that made it look very intriguing, but it turned out to be pretty poor. I am still interested in the sequel, though, because I'm hoping they fix all the problems.

Too Human for me also. Arguably one of the worst games I have ever bought.....PERIOD!

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 19, 2009, 08:36:08 AM »

Fat Princess.

What a pointless, idiotic game.  It's about as complex as clapping.

TheMissingLink on PSN
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 19, 2009, 10:35:57 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on October 18, 2009, 11:57:09 PM

Oh and can we correct the thread title? Metal don't you come from the country that invented the English language?  I think you've been playing too many video games slywink

LOL,yeah i noticed it half way through page one..i thought screw it Tongue
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 10:37:54 AM by metallicorphan » Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 19, 2009, 11:18:55 AM »

Quote from: pingwrx on October 18, 2009, 06:59:46 AM

Killzone 2 after all the hype it turned out to be meh.

Absolutely. Very very pretty... and very very boring.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 19, 2009, 02:56:08 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on October 19, 2009, 08:36:08 AM

Fat Princess.

What a pointless, idiotic game.  It's about as complex as clapping.

holy carp he lives! eek

* CeeKay docks his ninja assassins a months pay.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 19, 2009, 03:27:10 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 18, 2009, 10:05:46 PM

Gamestopping bugs aren't massive glitches?  If you didn't have a previous save back far enough the games couldn't be completed!!!

No because just about any game could end up in a scenario like that if you are unlucky. I could give you a similar example in Fallout 3 in that case,
if you stood in a certain place and got stuck you were still stuck when reloading. So technically you could end up with restarting.

But.. It was a long time since I last started a RPG without a backup save, it's as natural as wearing a safety belt in a car slywink.

Dedicated Gamer - XBL Profile DreamsurferSWE
XFire tag - dreamsurfer
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 19, 2009, 03:28:32 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on October 19, 2009, 12:04:08 AM

Biggest disappointment is definitely Assassins Creed!  Impressions thread here got me to get it but I should have waited until at least page three when people other than the original kool aid drinkers started posting. smile

Oh and can we correct the thread title? Metal don't you come from the country that invented the English language?  I think you've been playing too many video games slywink

Another good call with Assassin's Creed.  Luckily AC2 looks awesome and that they listened to a lot of the criticism about the first game.

Just goes to show how different impressions can be based upon perspective.  I loved Assassin's Creed even despite the game's repetitive gameplay.  I played it through from start to finish and just loved the controls, the animations, the graphics, the storyline, etc.  While it wasn't without its flaws I still enjoyed it a great deal.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 19, 2009, 03:56:34 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on October 19, 2009, 03:28:32 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on October 19, 2009, 12:04:08 AM

Biggest disappointment is definitely Assassins Creed!  Impressions thread here got me to get it but I should have waited until at least page three when people other than the original kool aid drinkers started posting. smile

Oh and can we correct the thread title? Metal don't you come from the country that invented the English language?  I think you've been playing too many video games slywink

Another good call with Assassin's Creed.  Luckily AC2 looks awesome and that they listened to a lot of the criticism about the first game.

Just goes to show how different impressions can be based upon perspective.  I loved Assassin's Creed even despite the game's repetitive gameplay.  I played it through from start to finish and just loved the controls, the animations, the graphics, the storyline, etc.  While it wasn't without its flaws I still enjoyed it a great deal.

Me, too, though I still haven't finished it.  I will.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 19, 2009, 04:10:14 PM »

I think I have a less subjective approach to game impressions than many who have posted; I differentiate between 'disappointing' and 'worst'. I personally wouldn't classify a game as worst if it's metacritic was very good (7.5) or better. In order for me to call a game worst, it would have to be fair -to- poor across the board; graphics, sound, story, gameplay mechanics, etc.. If I feel strongly about a game that has a decent metacritic, it's an indicator to me that it's a personal disappointment and not that the game is necessarily poor or mediocre.  I'm also very careful with my purchases -even my rentals- and rarely get games before I've read reviews and impressions. Because of that I really don't have a worst game this gen, outside of a few downloads on VC which don't count for this thread. slywink

For me the most disappointing would be Star Wars the Force Unleashed [360]. I encountered a show stopping bug in it once and the QTE's were very annoying/disappointing to me. The pull down the starship QTE was the final straw and I didn't go any further in the game. I know that's a personal thing, because many GT'ers really enjoyed it. The only game that was poor enough in quality for me to slate it as worst is NFS Pro Street [DS], but it's far from the worst racing game I've ever played.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: October 19, 2009, 04:39:41 PM »

i have to agree with you there kronovan.  i've enjoyed many of this gen's (and mine) most disappointing games, but that's a subjective descriptor.  if i am disappointed with how a game turns out, then it's because i had such high hopes for it going in. 

godfather 2 was disappointing initially, then i enjoyed it a little more after i accepted what it was doing differently from the first one. 

mass effect was disappointing because i really loved the idea of it all.  a big epic space rpg with exploration, great graphics and a great story. 

mercenaries 2 was disappointing because it didn't live up to the original in terms of fun. 

but worst game?  no. 

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 19, 2009, 05:44:25 PM »

Yeah, outside of the reviewers here who have to take one for the team, I don't think many of us play too many outright bad games.  I know I personally don't- reviews and forum impressions are usually enough to know what to steer clear of. 
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: October 19, 2009, 05:56:58 PM »

Quote from: Caine on October 19, 2009, 04:39:41 PM

godfather 2 was disappointing initially, then i enjoyed it a little more after i accepted what it was doing differently from the first one. 

I was thinking about listing GF2 as my worst, but I finished the game so it couldn't have been that bad, could it? There are plenty of games I never bothered to finish.

Games that failed to live up to the hype, for me, would be everything I've ever played on the Wii, Motorstorm, Viva Pinata, Lego Star Wars II, and Amped 3.

Amped 3 is probably the greatest disappointment as I loved the previous games and really disliked the 3rd.

I'm trying to think of the worst game, but despite all the disappointments, no games struck me as particularly bad that I can recall and I've played plenty of games people consider stinkers (check my gamertag if you don't believe me).

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 19, 2009, 06:44:37 PM »

ME for me too.  The game was just... lazy.  I enjoyed it and played it all the way through.  I thought some of the cutscenes and story were fantastic.  But so much of it was lazy and uninspired.  Planetary exploration was awful.  The Mako was awful.  The interface and inventory management were awful.  Which almost made you not realize that the loot was also awful.  The sidequests were awful.  All of the maps had the same one or two layouts and were all uninspired warehouses.  The combat was serviceable - too hard in the beginning and too easy at the end.  Dialog came down to "be a wuss" or "be a dick".  Overall it was a giant disappointment.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 19, 2009, 06:51:06 PM »

Also, Burnout Paradise.  I remember being pretty psyched before it came out and Calvin warned me that it was different than the other Burnouts.  I said, "It's Burnout.  How could the possibly fuck up Burnout?  It's racing and crashing."  Sure enough, they fucked up Burnout.  Not every game needs to be an open world.  I'm glad racing games are getting away from that again.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 19, 2009, 06:53:44 PM »

Burnout Paradise is probably one of my favorite games of this generation.  paranoid

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 19, 2009, 08:38:12 PM »

The bastards took out split screen!!

A new one
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 19, 2009, 08:52:39 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on October 19, 2009, 08:38:12 PM

Yup, that made it a non-purchase for me. I rented it and I do think it's better than many of the impressions that were given here.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 19, 2009, 08:54:34 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on October 19, 2009, 08:38:12 PM

True.  But I don't care about split screen.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 19, 2009, 09:02:06 PM »

what got me about Burnout Paradise was that i didn't know the way when racing,the AI knew fine,but you were stuck watching the top of the screen for when the streetsign flashed and if you were going pretty fast,you were past the place where you were meant to turn,i couldn't concentrate on racing because i was watching that....i didn't mind the open world,but when racing i would of preferred the way they did it in the other Burnout games,and it actually gave you a set route to take...in the end i avoided actual street races and did the crashes etc...and went back to the older Burnouts

EDIT:and when you did lose the race,you had to drive all the way back to the start to activate the race again

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 19, 2009, 09:06:30 PM »

Burnout Paradise is fun on a stick, but if you wanted a racer/crasher and not a stunt driving, social free-roamer, I can accept people's disappointment. Mass Effect is a game that didn't live up to the hype for some people (especially since it changed dramatically for people who were following it closely), but I played it well after release knowing little about it and enjoyed it. There are a lot of games that people seem split on, and those seem to fall in to the category of "disappointment" (Assassin's Creed is another).

It seems most people have more games that disappointed them than ones that they thought were bad games. That's the problem with the Internet - everyone gets hyped instead of waiting until the game comes out. (Uncharted 2 lives up to the hype, btw  biggrin )

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: October 19, 2009, 10:21:57 PM »

My most disappointing game was probably The Force Unleashed. It simply wasn't fun to play at all, and I found myself going through it on the easiest difficulty just for the story. There's no chance in hell I'll pick up the DLC.

The worst game that should have been better? Alone in the Dark. Even the improved PS3 version was nothing but one long series of annoying design decisions. You could see that they had ideas that might have sounded good on paper, but that just didn't work in a game that's supposed to be fun. The story sucked as well, and the characters were completely unlikeable from one end to another. The main character, who's supposed to be an immortal defender of humanity against evil or something like that, is so stupid that Hodor from A Song of Ice and Fire would be able to outwit him in dialogue. And when he doesn't understand something he just says "fuck" as if that's the manly and useful thing to do. His love interest (handled poorly and unconvincingly) was whiny and annoying already in her introduction scene. I actually got a Platinum trophy for this game, but only because it was so easy that I only spent an additional hour or two after finishing the story in order to get it.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 10:24:51 PM by TiLT » Logged
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 19, 2009, 11:08:57 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on October 19, 2009, 09:02:06 PM

EDIT:and when you did lose the race,you had to drive all the way back to the start to activate the race again

They patched in restarts a few months back. 

Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 19, 2009, 11:50:04 PM »

Most disappointing - Brütal Legend.  It's a good game...but that's it.  Psychonauts was great.  Grim Fandango is one of the three best games of all time, IMO.  This is merely good, or possibly 'very good' if your generous.  Awesome thematic world, but repetitive boring sidequests and merely average humor in most of the story quests.  Really, the most fun sidequests are the ones that are one and done (Fending off the bass players being a highlight).

Worst - maybe Too Human.  Poor camera, limited character differentiation, but the worst killer of all, I tried three different characters, and the loot was 95% the same - no variation on loot kills repetitive games.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 20, 2009, 11:14:40 AM »

Quote from: denoginizer on October 19, 2009, 11:08:57 PM

oh,that i didn't know..i do know that they have well supported the game

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 20, 2009, 01:57:22 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on October 20, 2009, 11:14:40 AM

Quote from: denoginizer on October 19, 2009, 11:08:57 PM

oh,that i didn't know..i do know that they have well supported the game

Yeah, I was a big hater early on, but they've basically fixed all the problems I have but one*.  The amount of effort they've put in made up for my grumblings.

*It was absolutely ridiculous to take out Crash Mode.  And no, the rolling thing does not make up for it.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: