http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 06:21:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What games are everyone getting at launch for the PSP?  (Read 6711 times)
Scott
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 24, 2005, 04:47:21 AM »

I wouldn`t call dual screens and one being a touchscreen exactly shitty 10 year old hardware.

Touch screens have been around a looong time, so have those little screens the DS has.  Yeah, most PDA's don't have two screens, but they certainly have higher resolution ones then the DS, and have had touch tapping games for along time, even from some high profile companies like Sega.  So, the DS really is nothing new smile.  But you are right, not the time or place.

I'm almost sold on Wipeout Pure.  I just worry about not getting into it.  Career modes, and building up stats usually get me into racers, and I'm not sure this has it.  But it still looks great.

Well, Scott, to be fair, launch titles have sucked for every system since cartridges died out.

I'm not disputing this.  Just disappointed at some of the corners being cut and some of the games being delayed.  

Right now, I'm leaning towards Lumines and Metal Gear Acid if I do get the PSP.  I can't open it till Saturday anyway (birthday, and I'd set a bad example for the kids if I open it early!) so I can read everyone's opinions.  Wipeout may replace Lumines though for me.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 24, 2005, 04:57:33 AM »

Quote from: "Scott"
I wouldn`t call dual screens and one being a touchscreen exactly shitty 10 year old hardware.

Touch screens have been around a looong time, so have those little screens the DS has.  Yeah, most PDA's don't have two screens, but they certainly have higher resolution ones then the DS, and have had touch tapping games for along time, even from some high profile companies like Sega.  So, the DS really is nothing new smile.  But you are right, not the time or place.

I'm almost sold on Wipeout Pure.  I just worry about not getting into it.  Career modes, and building up stats usually get me into racers, and I'm not sure this has it.  But it still looks great.

Well, Scott, to be fair, launch titles have sucked for every system since cartridges died out.

I'm not disputing this.  Just disappointed at some of the corners being cut and some of the games being delayed.  

Right now, I'm leaning towards Lumines and Metal Gear Acid if I do get the PSP.  I can't open it till Saturday anyway (birthday, and I'd set a bad example for the kids if I open it early!) so I can read everyone's opinions.  Wipeout may replace Lumines though for me.

We must agree to disagree, but my point was and still is...2 screens, with one being a touch screen on a game system all together has never been done. And the developers are/should/and will be doing all kinds of new things with it. anywho... :wink:

Check out that gamespy stuff I posted a link to. I`m pretty sure the wipeout  pure has stats etc. In fact they say there is a stat that says how long you have looked at the stats! Hehe. The zone mode looks sweet! You don`t control you speed, the game does. Every lap(or every so often not sure) you go faster and faster. And you can`t get power-ups to replace your shield. So when you run out of shields, poof, you`re done. I`ve heard great things about this. I surely don`t want to push someone into getting a game they don`t want though, that`s for sure. Did you read the reviews? They seem to cover just about everything. The gamespy one seems the best and most detailed to me.

Oh, and from what I`ve heard/read, the spiderman 2 game blows on the psp. The review here seemed to be very positive, but elsewhere that doesn`t seem to be the case. I haven`t played it, so I don`t know. I just wanted to pass some info along. Don`t kill the messanger! :wink:
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 24, 2005, 05:13:03 AM »

I`ve heard great things about this. I surely don`t want to push someone into getting a game they don`t want though, that`s for sure. Did you read the reviews? They seem to cover just about everything. The gamespy one seems the best and most detailed to me.

I've read all the reviews of Wipeout.  I've always wanted to try and get into one of the Wipeout games, so I'm leaning towards it.  I just get frustrated with racers at times!  

I don't think the Spiderman games have been that great.  The last ones have shot high, but the camera just never worked as well as it really needed to.  I can't imagine the game on a PSP without a good camera control.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 24, 2005, 05:26:18 AM »

Right now I definitely plan on picking up Wipeout as my top priority tomorrow (already have MGA).  If I can't find Wipeout I'll grab Ridge Racer.  

I have Untold Legends pre-ordered, but after reading the reviews I think I'll cancel unless I can't find Wipeout or RR.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 24, 2005, 05:29:36 AM »

Man...The more I think about it...the more I want to go out really early ad grab my stuff as opposed to later on in the day. I won`t be able to play it until tommarow night anyways...I`ll probably go in the afternoon...hhmmm....or the morning....After reading up on wipeout, I`m really looking forward to getting this stuff!!!
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: March 24, 2005, 04:11:57 PM »

ok, lets say you are like me and have limited use of your right hand. (fy it was paralized from an operation that went wrong as a kid)  With consoles, I generally can wrap my left hand around most controlers and play the game. For example I played and finished Super Maro 64 on the stock N64 controler with one hand.  However I'm not really able to do that with handhelds. It blocks the screen.  
So, I'm generally limited to one button use. My right thumb I can push up and down (somewhat) but I can't move it around to select other buttons... So.. are there any psp games that don't require rapid pressing of multiple buttons? Guess I'm mostly interested in Lumies

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 24, 2005, 05:39:17 PM »

Just got back from a trip to Best Buy.

Interestingly enough, PSP's were plentiful...it was the games that were freaking hard to come by. I got the last copy of Metal Gear Acid and they were down to only 1 Wipeout Pure and 2 Ridge Racers.

They had no Untold Legends left.

Some games are going to be harder to find than the system it seems, which jives with what the EB guy told me 2 weeks ago.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: March 24, 2005, 06:24:07 PM »

Well I failed my Will save, (I'd say the PSP is around DC 24), so I'm now the dubiously proud owner of a PSP, Lumines, and Wipeout Pure.  I still have Untold Legends and Twisted Metal sealed in the car for return/exchange.

So far I've only played Lumines.  I'm really impressed how clear, sharp, and colorful the graphics are on this system -- when the GBA-SP came out, I thought it was the cat's meow of low-rez graphical quality.

Well, the PSP puts practically every handheld before it to shame in terms of screen quality.  It's fantastic.

The sound sounds good irregardless, but if you're not using the headphones, you're missing out.  The PSP hardware can crank out some great-sounding stuff.  Unfortunately, the speakers on the PSP are space limited, so you're losing a ton of quality unless you're using headphones.  I don't find this to be a strike against the hardware, though -- you're just not going to get good sound quality out of speakers that small.  Consider headphones an absolute "must" when using the PSP.

Holding the system takes some getting used to in my experience.  It's simultaneously delicate, weighty, and thin.  The system is a real bitch to play if you're lying prone on your back (like in bed), otherwise, you get used to it and it's fine and natural.

I really, really, really wish that the buttons were backlit.  Hell, even if only the smallest buttons along the bottom of the screen were backlit, I'd be happy.  Those are the hardest to find in the dark, since they're flush with the case.

And Lumines is very good.  Consider it required reading.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 24, 2005, 06:48:58 PM »

I grabbed Ridge Racer with my PSP purchase today.  I watched a bit of Spiderman 2, but I was outside on a really sunny day, so my experience was kinda ruined.

I checked for dead pixels before I even left the store.   biggrin
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 24, 2005, 07:15:40 PM »

Quote from: "Rob_Merritt"
ok, lets say you are like me and have limited use of your right hand. (fy it was paralized from an operation that went wrong as a kid)  With consoles, I generally can wrap my left hand around most controlers and play the game. For example I played and finished Super Maro 64 on the stock N64 controler with one hand.  However I'm not really able to do that with handhelds. It blocks the screen.  
So, I'm generally limited to one button use. My right thumb I can push up and down (somewhat) but I can't move it around to select other buttons... So.. are there any psp games that don't require rapid pressing of multiple buttons? Guess I'm mostly interested in Lumies

Rob, Lumines should work well. You move the blocks around with the left hand and the right hand only has to tap one button (X) to rotate the blocks.

I was going to suggest that the racers might work well too -- Ridge Racer and Wipeout -- as you hold down the X for acceleration, but they both do have other tasks for the right hand (firing weapons in Wipeout; Power boost in RR)

Hope this helps! smile

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: