http://gamingtrend.com
April 24, 2014, 12:42:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What games are everyone getting at launch for the PSP?  (Read 6511 times)
jaskerr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2005, 03:54:14 PM »

I'm picking up Lumines, Ridge Racer, Tiger Woods, and possibly Untold Legends.

Also need to pick up a screen protector of some sort, not sure what product though...anyone have any ideas on which would be best?
Devil
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2005, 03:58:33 PM »

I use one of those sticker things and it seems to work well.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
jaskerr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2005, 04:14:18 PM »

You know...after checking out previews, I wonder if I should pick up Archer McLean's Mercury instead of Lumines.

It's just as pretty visually, and I typically enjoy puzzle games like Marble Madness than I do Tetris.

Anyone get a chance to look at Mercury?
jaskerr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2005, 04:18:01 PM »

BTW...CompUSA is offering 4.00 off instantly for each PSP game, you'll have to call ahead to see what they have in stock. The website shows Coming Soon, but my business sales rep has verified that they are in stock and available for purchase now.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2005, 06:36:55 PM »

I got a copy of Untold Legends today.  I won't be opening it til I hear some reviews, though.  The fact that Sony didn't offer up early review copies makes me feel like Untold Legends could really, really suck.

Quote from: "jaskerr"
You know...after checking out previews, I wonder if I should pick up Archer McLean's Mercury instead of Lumines.

It's just as pretty visually, and I typically enjoy puzzle games like Marble Madness than I do Tetris.

Anyone get a chance to look at Mercury?
I'm doing both.  They're two totally different games.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2005, 06:45:43 PM »

Well let's see.

I just picked up (just got back from lunch):

A Nintendo DS System! biggrin

I also grabbed the Minish Cap (for me) & Yoshi Touch & Go (for my son - Easter gift).

I've been dying to get this system and I love the fact that I picked it up on the eve of the PSP release.  I got it at Circuit City and with its purchase got a $15 gift card that I immediately applied to the two games, which were also 15% off.

I don't plan on getting a PSP.  I already have a PS2. :wink:

Now, to start saving for Xbox 360.

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2005, 06:56:38 PM »

Troll.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
chrismcd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2005, 07:05:56 PM »

Well I just got back from EB Games and walked out with NFL Street 2 and Metal Gear Acid. They also told me that my system was there ready to go (Damn wish it was thursday) He also said I will be getting Spidy 2 movie

Kewl..

Chris

Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2005, 07:46:40 PM »

Quote from: "chrismcd"
Well I just got back from EB Games and walked out with NFL Street 2 and Metal Gear Acid. They also told me that my system was there ready to go (Damn wish it was thursday) He also said I will be getting Spidy 2 movie

Ditto!!!! smile

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2005, 08:02:52 PM »

Here`s some stuff on wipeout pure http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/920780.asp.

Gameplay: 9.5
I'm like a bird in a tree, singing its happy song on a warm summer morning just before the sun comes up. Wipeout Pure is quintessential. It's PSP racing in its purest form. If you don't buy it, you will rent it, play it in-store or at a friend's house. The first thought that will come to mind: "Why didn't I buy this at launch?" Nothing you buy could better – just different. No game is faster, we know that for certain. The controls are so good that it's hard to imagine that another PSP racer controls better. This is the leader of the pack; the king that all other racing games must bow to. And it will wear this crown until Burnout arrives. That's when the real battle begins.

Graphics: 9.5
Jaw-dropping. I know PSP games will only get better – by the time Christmas comes we'll be playing games that look twice as good as most of the launch titles. This makes me hate to give out a high score like a 9.5 to any game for its graphics. Wipeout Pure is beautiful though, so beautiful in fact that it will shock you. I've played five of the 15+ launch titles. I've seen videos of almost all of them. From what I know thus far, none can compare to Wipeout Pure. If nothing else, this game moves faster than any other PSP launch title. The polygon count must be unreal, though I'm sure it's the frame rate that will impress you the most.

Sound: 8.5
The king of techno is back. Repetition is not a part of this soundtrack, except for one annoying song. The rest is pure ear-pleasing bliss, pumping original beat-filled tracks through the PSP's tiny speakers. Fans will not be disappointed. The rest of you will be amazed that, with the right composer, techno music can actually be good.

Difficulty: Med/Easy
Step right up, step right up. Watch in amusement as this volunteer gamer tries to conquer Wipeout Pure but can't. It's a rare site folks, to watch a gamer not beat a racing game immediately after purchasing it. Only $5 to see it all happen at the Carnival of Weirdness.

Concept: 8.5
Wipeout for the small screen. It didn't take a rocket scientist to come up with that one. The PS2-quality gameplay, the near-PS2-quality graphics, the amazing sound, the unforgettable course creations ... Wipeout Pure is out of this world.  Lucky for you, you don't have to leave the galaxy to get it.

Multiplayer: 9.0
WiFi-connected gamers can race up to seven opponents in multiplayer. With many airports, cyber cafes and even Panera Bread offering free WiFi access, the PSP is becoming a true portable multiplayer gaming device.

Overall: 9.5
Pure gets props for being just as good on the PSP as it is on PS2. It gets props for having incredible graphics, for moving at lightning-fast speeds, and for never, ever showing signs of technological inferiority (gimmicks like fog, slowdown, etc., are not a part of Wipeout Pure's beautiful world). It gets major props for having great controls without the use of a true analog stick. The PSP sliding-thumbstick thingy is more sensitive than it appears at first. No one will walk away unimpressed.

That was from gamezone, but pretty much everyone says the same. I think I have to get this one tomarrow. I`m hoping there is a review of untold legends before tomarrow so I`ll know whether or not to grab it.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2005, 09:21:37 PM »

I got a copy of Untold Legends today. I won't be opening it til I hear some reviews, though.

Open it so the rest of us don't have to waste time on garbage, or can grab a copy!  I really worry about Untold sucking as well, since there is so little new information about it, and Diablo clones usually are pretty bad in general.  I've found that very few are worth playing.

Anyone play or see reviews/comments on NFL Street?

---
XBox Live: ScottW
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2005, 09:25:33 PM »

Quote from: "Scott"
I got a copy of Untold Legends today. I won't be opening it til I hear some reviews, though.

Open it so the rest of us don't have to waste time on garbage, or can grab a copy!  I really worry about Untold sucking as well, since there is so little new information about it, and Diablo clones usually are pretty bad in general.  I've found that very few are worth playing.

Fair enough, but first, let me tell you where you can send the check...

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2005, 09:27:15 PM »

Quote from: "Starshifter"
Well let's see.

I also grabbed the Minish Cap (for me) & Yoshi Touch & Go (for my son - Easter gift).

I've been dying to get this system and I love the fact that I picked it up on the eve of the PSP release.  I got it at Circuit City and with its purchase got a $15 gift card that I immediately applied to the two games, which were also 15% off.

My Condolences.  

You will realise your mistake soon enough. It took me about 5 days. :cry:

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2005, 09:27:49 PM »

I`m really thinking that there will be reviews for untold legends tonight. I hope so!
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2005, 09:32:27 PM »

Review:

http://gamesdomain.yahoo.com/psp/untold_legends_brotherhood_of_the_blade/review/68061

Pros:
An entertaining dungeon crawl; Comfortable controls; Crisp, detailed graphics

Cons:
Gameplay becomes too redundant; Some graphics don’t mesh perfectly

Although we're hoping the PSP's horizon has less generic role-playing games in store, Untold Legends is still a great choice for action-RPG fans. It's a solid first-wave title, while the awesome 3D engine and multiplayer game makes it a truly new experience in the portable arena. Let's just hope the next legend that SOE tells has more surprises.

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2005, 09:37:11 PM »

Quote from: "Hetz"
Quote from: "Starshifter"
Well let's see.

My Condolences.  

You will realise your mistake soon enough. It took me about 5 days. :cry:

Shoosh :wink: ! You crazy people :wink: ! I have  DS and LOVE IT!!! I`m getting a PSP tomarrow and I`m assuming I`ll love it too! Spread the love around people! Not only one thing is good in this world!

After seeing that untold legends review, I`m going to stick with grabbing wipeout pure(unless there are lots of good reviews for untold legends tonight). Wipeout pure looks like a safe bet.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2005, 11:01:04 PM »

Quote from: "Hetz"
Review:

http://gamesdomain.yahoo.com/psp/untold_legends_brotherhood_of_the_blade/review/68061

Pros:
An entertaining dungeon crawl; Comfortable controls; Crisp, detailed graphics

Cons:
Gameplay becomes too redundant; Some graphics don’t mesh perfectly

Although we're hoping the PSP's horizon has less generic role-playing games in store, Untold Legends is still a great choice for action-RPG fans. It's a solid first-wave title, while the awesome 3D engine and multiplayer game makes it a truly new experience in the portable arena. Let's just hope the next legend that SOE tells has more surprises.

Sounds like it's more or less on par with Champions of Norrath... though I'm still going to wait for a "bigger" site to review it before cracking the seal.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2005, 11:20:23 PM »

Sounds like it's more or less on par with Champions of Norrath

Which probably isn't a good thing...  I'm definitely waiting for more reviews as well.  I'm reall torn on what to get.  Nothing really excites me, so I'm wavering on getting the PSP.  The games are all well done, but really PS2 clones now.  That is a lot better then N64 clones mind you, but I still may just grab God of War instead.

---
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2005, 11:44:06 PM »

Untold IGN Review:
http://psp.ign.com/articles/598/598267p1.html

---
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2005, 11:46:02 PM »

Sounds like it's more or less on par with Champions of Norrath

Which probably isn't a good thing...  I'm definitely waiting for more reviews as well.  I'm reall torn on what to get.  Nothing really excites me, so I'm wavering on getting the PSP.  The games are all well done, but really PS2 clones now.  That is a lot better then N64 clones mind you, but I still may just grab God of War instead.
/shrug.  I liked Champions of Norrath.  A portable version of that would be cool.  Still, I'm interested in more reviews before I decide whether I want to keep Untold Legends or return it and get it after a pricedrop.

I was able to get (well, preorder) God of War for $30 (paid in full) thanks to Gamerush tradein deals.  You should look into that -- basically, you trade in two games (PS2/GCN/XBox), and you get any new release or pre-order for $29.99.  Plus you still get the credit for those two games.  It's quite nice.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2005, 11:51:57 PM »

After reading the Untold review, it looks blah.  The promise of the PSP for me is full PS2 games.  What we are seeing, which sucks for release, is watered down versions.  Blah.  I want the same basic options, especially at the same prices these games are.

shrug. I liked Champions of Norrath.

Champions of Norrath was okay.   I didn't mean to say it was bad, it just wasn't terribly memorable.  I thought after the Baulders Gate games on the PS2 that Champions should have been better.  Maybe I just got burnt out on genre at that point too.

---
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2005, 12:19:11 AM »

After reading the Untold review, it looks blah.  The promise of the PSP for me is full PS2 games.  What we are seeing, which sucks for release, is watered down versions.  Blah.  I want the same basic options, especially at the same prices these games are.

Yeah, after reading all five pages, the game seems pretty darn bland.  The review seems pretty level-headed and unbiased, too, unlike the terrible Metal Gear Acid review, so I'm inclined to believe it.

Quite disappointing.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2005, 12:39:07 AM »

So are you going to do it LE? Get the PSP? I still cant pull the trigger on it.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2005, 01:01:47 AM »

Quote from: "Rage"
I'm going to get it, yes, but I'm going to leave it and its games sealed til I make up my mind.

I'm kind of leaning toward returning it all to EB, saying I got it as a gift, and just throwing the ~$400 on my Edge card.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2005, 01:08:55 AM »

All along there was no chance of LE getting an X-Box!  :wink:

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2005, 01:26:13 AM »

Quote from: "Devil"
All along there was no chance of LE getting an X-Box!  :wink:
I never said I wouldn't put the $400 toward an XBox...  :wink:

Of course, I'm eager to learn if the XBox 2 is backwards-compatible or not.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2005, 01:55:38 AM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
I'm going to get it, yes, but I'm going to leave it and its games sealed til I make up my mind.

I'm kind of leaning toward returning it all to EB, saying I got it as a gift, and just throwing the ~$400 on my Edge card.

Why put it on a card that you can only use in EB instead of just keepting the cash tilly ou decide out of curiosity?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2005, 02:00:20 AM »

Metal Gear Acid has received an 8.2 from Gamespot.

EDIT- And also an 8.5 from 1up.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2005, 02:02:20 AM »

Why put it on a card that you can only use in EB instead of just keepting the cash tilly ou decide out of curiosity?
Because I'm paying for my PSP in trade-in credit at Gamerush, not cash.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2005, 02:07:41 AM »

After reading more reviews, right now the PSP games look pretty much like watered down PS2 games, with sloppy controls.  The 1Up NFL Street 2 review basically said the game was painful to play.

I'm disappointed, we are getting 60% of the PS2 game at 100% of the cost.  I imagine most of us won't be using the PSP while travelling, so I'm amazed so many people are getting it at launch.  Right now, I think I'm going to wait until some really cool PSP exclusives come, or well done translations.  Even the Fifa review commented on tough to use controls.  

I absolutely love the hardware though for the PSP, which is why there is still a chance I'll pick it up and Lumines to fill the time.

---
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2005, 02:07:54 AM »

Because I'm paying for my PSP in trade-in credit at Gamerush, not cash.

Ahssooooo. Please tell me you were able to get a deal on the Cube or something to do this so I can do the same!!! Please smile
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2005, 02:16:37 AM »

I never said I wouldn't put the $400 toward an XBox

I'll believe it when I'm playing with you on Live!!

Scott - You seem to be harping on the games that are getting mediocre reviews as an excuse to damn the system. Have you read the reviews for Tony Hawk? Ridge Racer? Wipeout? Lumines? All are in the range of 8.5-9.5. Stop laboring on the average crap and take a look at what's good!
Granted - You might not be interested in those well reviewed games, but that doesn't mean they aren't there.

This is what happens EVERY system launch. People who want to look for excuses will find them.

Lighten up. Get your PSP. Enjoy the good games!  Tongue

More games will keep coming...

Scott

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2005, 02:35:21 AM »

Scott - You seem to be harping on the games that are getting mediocre reviews as an excuse to damn the system

I'm not damning the system, I'm damning the mediocre ports.  The ports could have been so much more.  I hope the PSP becomes a lot more then the ports.

And yes, the PSP isn't a PS2, but it does compete with it for a lot of us, that don't necessarily travel a lot.  That's why I'd like some cool exclusive PSP games.  I won't use the PSP to play Fifa when I can get a far superior console version and play it in the next room.  

Ridge Racer, Lumines, and Wipeout all look pretty good.  They are all games coded right to the PSP and not really direct ports like most of the other games that I'm picking on.  I'm just not sure I want those three games.  I'd have loved a full Fifa that had well mapped controls, or a well done NFL Street or MVP.  But since I'd give up so much, I'll skip those, and maybe the PSP.

I think the PSP is pretty  nice.  I'm thinking of getting it despite the games smile.

---
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2005, 03:26:30 AM »

Ports are ports. By definition, it's a lazy way of getting product to market. Especially for a system launch. It's to be expected.

I'll take a slightly stripped down FIFA if I can play it anywhere over the full PS2 version. There are no excuses for sloppy controls though.

You'll get it and you'll be happy dammit!!

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2005, 03:30:09 AM »

Why doesn`t anyone want wipeout pure. It`s not a port, it IS fun as hell and it`s looks FREAKING AMAZING!!! :wink:

Some of you guys that don`t want a psp anymore where the same guys bashing the DS for the same reasons you don`t want a PSP.<--long, bad sentence! :wink:
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2005, 03:45:42 AM »

Wipeout Pure looks awesome.  I'd play it an hour and stop though, can't get into the arcade racers.

The Gamespot review of Metal Gear Acid probably means I'll grab the PSP and Acid.  

I based the Nintendo DS because I think it is shitty hardware running 10 year old games.

I'm bashing the PSP games because I think some of them are sloppy ports.  Some are pretty solid though, like Wipeout and Ridge Racer.

There are no excuses for sloppy controls though.

That's killing me for NFL Street.  I want it, but don't want hand cramps playing it.  Same with Fifa, I'd rather get the console version fo good control.  Of course, Winning Eleven on the PSP I'll get no matter what!

---
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2005, 03:51:08 AM »

Well, Scott, to be fair, launch titles have sucked for every system since cartridges died out.  I mean, you don't hear a ton of people singing the praises of Fantavision these days, do you?

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 24, 2005, 03:56:56 AM »

I was wavering on Metal Gear Acid after the IGN review...but the Gamespot review has calmed my fears.

I picked up a coupon tonight at Best Buy for $5 off any PSP game. They were handing them out. Nice!

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 24, 2005, 04:06:53 AM »

Well, Scott, to be fair, launch titles have sucked for every system since cartridges died out.  I mean, you don't hear a ton of people singing the praises of Fantavision these days, do you?

I`m not going to get into this again, but he`s right :wink: . I think people thought "wow, look at all of those games for psp on day one!" They didn`t think that half or more of them would blow, like they do...

I think this launch is better than the ds`s BUT...the DS is trying something completely new, where the psp is not. I`ve been thinking of grabbing twisted metal or thug2 along with wipeout pure. Not sure yet though. I figure I *should* just grab WOP now, then get mercury in a week or two rather than grabbing one of above tomarrow. TM and thug2 aren`t going anywhere :wink: .
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2005, 04:09:39 AM »

Wipeout Pure looks awesome.  I'd play it an hour and stop though, can't get into the arcade racers.

The Gamespot review of Metal Gear Acid probably means I'll grab the PSP and Acid.  

I based the Nintendo DS because I think it is shitty hardware running 10 year old games.

I'm bashing the PSP games because I think some of them are sloppy ports.  Some are pretty solid though, like Wipeout and Ridge Racer.

There are no excuses for sloppy controls though.

That's killing me for NFL Street.  I want it, but don't want hand cramps playing it.  Same with Fifa, I'd rather get the console version fo good control.  Of course, Winning Eleven on the PSP I'll get no matter what!

I wouldn`t call dual screens and one being a touchscreen exactly shitty 10 year old hardware. :wink:

And I`m NOT going to try and persuade anyone on anything but, from what I played, wipeout pure is the best game out there for psp right now and gamerankings seems to agree--> http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/default_psp/1024
 If you don`tl ike arcade racers though, you simply don`t like `em. I`m not a huge fan of arcady racers. PGR2 is as arcady as I *usually* like `em. Burnout 2 was too arcady for me(Never played 3 even though I heard it rocks). For some reason though, wipeout pure was lots of fun for me and I didn`t even know what buttons did what :wink: .

Gamespy has this stuff up now http://ps2.gamespy.com/articles/598/598392p1.html
 It`s a bunch of reviews etc. Great info. Wipeout pure got 5 starts! Further proving I`m making the right choice for me!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: