http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 03:06:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What games are everyone getting at launch for the PSP?  (Read 6560 times)
Hetz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 19, 2005, 05:09:53 PM »

My List:

Untold Legends
Metal Gear: Ac!d
Lumines
Wipeout Pure
NFL Street 2
Darkstalkers
Dynasty Warriors

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2005, 05:36:49 PM »

Wow...$550 for the total take (System and the games without tax), I'd have a heart attack if I spent that much.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2005, 05:52:18 PM »

The only ones I'm interested in are Metal Gear Acid (I'm a Metal Gear freak) and Darkstalkers (I loved the Darkstalkers game for the Sega Saturn... with the RAM cart... O M G).

But I ain't getting a PSP anytime soon, so those games'll have to wait.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2005, 06:25:03 PM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
Wow...$550 for the total take (System and the games without tax), I'd have a heart attack if I spent that much.

As they say....if you've got the money...

I also don't have any other consoles anymore, so this is my only gaming system (besides the PC), so I haven't been blowing money on any other console games, which allowed me to save for this.

Anyway, I want more, but I'm also saving for a trip to Aruba next year for my sister's wedding and the Xbox 2...that and if I got anymore my wife would probabily kill me. slywink

Oh well. At least the PSP has this many games at launch that are good, unlike another system that recently launched...  *cough*

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2005, 07:07:42 PM »

Metal Gear Acid

Konami is working on getting me a copy - I'd like to have it reviewed before you can buy it.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2005, 07:09:53 PM »

Not buying anything.  E3 and Project A-Kon are both calling my name to the tune of about $700. biggrin
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2005, 07:51:05 PM »

Understand first, that I having been saving for this launch for over a year. I have done without many top titles that I would normally have bought recently(Tekken 5, Gran Turismo 4). And I have also spent months accumulating trade value at two local stores.
So..............................the end result is -- I have the following prepaid in full:

PSP value pack
Untold Legends
Metal Gear Acid
Lumines
Mercury
Darkstalkers
Wipeout Pure
Ridge Racer
Need For Speed Underground Rivals
Tiger Woods
THUG 2 Remix

with enough trade value remaining to add 2 or 3 more games. I have also booked 5 days off work starting at launch. :oops:
I feel like a kid counting the days down to Christmas!! lol... just 5 more sleeps!! :lol:

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2005, 08:21:23 PM »

Luminees and untold legend. Thats all that really interests me. Maybe get tiger woods when its not 50 freakin bucks.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2005, 10:37:39 PM »

My list:

Untold Legends
Wipeout Pure

We have a lot of people here that want Untold Legends, but I can barely find a single person on some of the dedicated forums that are making a big deal out of UL.  

Why the intrest here -- or rather the lack of interest elsewhere?
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2005, 12:31:35 AM »

:cry:

I pre-ordered a PSP today.  My god.  I got pulled in.

I'm interested in getting:

Lumines
Untold Legends
Mercury
MG:Acid (Maybe later)

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2005, 01:06:44 AM »

Welcome to the party LE!!!

I've got/getting a bunch of stuff.

Gretzky
Wipeout
Lumines
RR
Darkstalkers
NFS
Twisted Metal
Tiger Woods
Mercury
MVP
FIFA
Untold Legends

Like Cleric, I've been stashing away trade-in money for a LONG TIME for this (and X-Box 2) and got the system as a gift.

I recommend you guys also take advantage of the 3 for 1 deal EB has going for the 1st party games. Take a look at  www.cheapassgamer.com to see how you can get most games for around $20. I sure did!  biggrin

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
motodd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2005, 01:32:07 AM »

Wipeout Pure
Lumines
Twisted Metal Head On
These three are paid off and I will probably pick up Untold Legends if it's available on launch day.
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2005, 02:03:22 AM »

Wipeout Pure
Lumines

Oh, what's that? I wasn't supposed to get one at launch? Um... yeah...

...I'm weak.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2005, 07:02:35 AM »

Metal Gear Acid is the only one I have preordered.  

Otherwise I'll buy one or two of the following:

Wipeout
Ridge Racer
Untold Legends

The Untold Legends love is a bit bizarre- everything I've read is that its essentially Dark Alliance/Champions of Norrath without an associated license.  Considering that both of those series are pretty much considered to be good but not great the love for Untold Legends is surprising to me (of course I say this with it on my possible buy list).
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2005, 10:36:32 AM »

Ridge Racer and Fifa 2005. I'm very tempted by both Untold Legends and Wipeout, but my next game will probably be GTA whenever it's out. The same developers did an amazing job on MAx Payne GBA.
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2005, 12:17:00 PM »

I think part of the appeal of Untold Legends is the "Diablo-on-a-handheld" dream. Dark Alliance and Champions of Norrath were pretty darn good games, with the only weakness, perhaps, being a bit of repetiveness in the hacking-and-slashing.

That repetiveness I think becomes much less of an issue on a handheld where you typically will play for shorter sessions.

I don't know ... the thought of just diving into some random level--that's been tuned to my character's level-- and hacking some random beasties for 15 minutes, and maybe finding a cool "Glowing Sword of the Platypus" or a rare amulet -- that just has terrific appeal for me! smile

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2005, 01:21:56 PM »

It's almost here...

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2005, 04:09:48 AM »

Well, I got Wipeout Pure and Twisted Metal today via EBGames' tradein deals.  I'm keeping Wipeout and probably going to return Twisted Metal for credit toward Lumines.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2005, 05:04:05 AM »

I was planning on just picking up THUG2, but after reading the CG review of Spiderman 2 I'm starting to have second thoughts...

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2005, 06:10:48 AM »

Right now I am waiting for hands on play impressions before I purchase the system.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2005, 12:00:28 PM »

You think Best Buy will run out by the end of the day?  I'm thinking they will.

I wasn't going to, but I ended up pre-ordering.  Damn, I'm weak!

The two games I'm looking forward to are Lumines and Untold Legends.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
chrismcd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2005, 02:55:13 PM »

Well I broke down and Pre-ordered, I also Picked yo Thug2 and NFSU and I am gonna get NFL Street 2 and Untold Legends...

Chris McD

Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2005, 03:28:49 PM »

The games for a handheld are $50?!  Leave it to Sony to revolutionize the pricing system as well.  And here I was starting to consider picking one up.  Oh well, have fun guys and I'll just live through your stories. smile
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2005, 05:25:21 PM »

Quote from: "Jancelot"
The games for a handheld are $50?!  Leave it to Sony to revolutionize the pricing system as well.  And here I was starting to consider picking one up.  Oh well, have fun guys and I'll just live through your stories. smile

Most are $39.99...but EA and a few others are stubornly hanging on to the $50 price tag.  :x

Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2005, 08:01:02 PM »

What are the post-launch games that everyone is looking forward to? There's a couple of launch-window games (Metal Gear Acid and Death Jr) that I'm somewhat interested in, but browsing EB's web site I don't see much of anything in the first six months post-release.

I'm sure we'll see a whole slew of PSP games announced at E3 this year, but I'm debating whether I should consider one now or just wait until the holidays. For the folks who have pre-ordered, what games are going to  tide you over until Q4?
angrycoder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2005, 08:30:04 PM »

I'm looking forward to Mercury and Gran Turismo 4.

There are a couple of launch titles I'm interested in but not getting right of the bat - Untold Legends, Metal Gear Acid, Tony Hawk, and Twisted Metal.

I would love to hear the news that Nippon Ichi is doing a PSP game. A nice port of Puyo Puyo fever wouldn't hurt either.
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2005, 09:00:24 PM »

I thought Nippon Ichi is doing a PSP game, that's a followup to Disgaea...?

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2005, 10:27:54 PM »

Picked up Metal Gear Acid today.  Still undecided what I'll pick up with the PSP on Thursday.
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2005, 11:27:45 PM »

Hmm, 6.5 for Metal Gear Acid on IGN.  That's surprising.
angrycoder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2005, 11:27:51 PM »

Quote from: "Fellow"
I thought Nippon Ichi is doing a PSP game, that's a followup to Disgaea...?

You are my new best friend, want half my sandwich?
angrycoder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2005, 11:28:27 PM »

Quote from: "ChaoZ"

Read the review, its crap. The author clearly doesn't like card games or turn based games.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2005, 12:07:42 AM »

Quote from: "angrycoder"
Quote from: "ChaoZ"

Read the review, its crap. The author clearly doesn't like card games or turn based games.

Yeah, not really a surprising score.  I imagine the impressions will be negative from anyone who's looking for a traditional Metal Gear game.  There's a reason this game is Metal Gear Acid and not Metal Gear Solid.  Its supposed to be a seperate series.  Think Heroes of Might and Magic vs Might and Magic RPG.  

1UP's review will be posted tomorrow and is supposed to be very positive.  Word is also positive from others who are primarily interested in the card and strat based portion of the game and less on the traditional Metal Gear Solid aspects.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2005, 01:10:56 AM »

From the MG:A review:

Call it awkward game design, or call it the nature of a card game -- there are just some things here that will push patience no matter how one looks at it. Even though I found myself trying to like this game, there are things that almost pushed frustration on me. There are so many annoyances that are just screwy intrusions that do nothing for the game's reality. For instance, having your move progression interrupted by a codec message from Roger, and then losing the rest of the moves you had already selected after he's done talking to you. Or waiting on certain cards to come up when you're in a tight spot, like a firefight. Or simply needing to progress through a door and you're waiting for the "Level 1 Key Card" card to come up (you can edit the order of the cards, but in certain contextual situations, you haven't been given the chance). Or how about how it sends you back to the main menu after your quick-save, only to have you select the option to continue. Just the way that this game mixed up the X and O button so consistently -- one to make a choice at one point, then suddenly canceling the choice the next screen over -- had me losing my faith.

Eh.  The guy obviously wanted a Metal Gear game, not a card game, but still... issues like the above pretty much seal this one's fate for me...

Man, Untold Legends better be good.  If that gets panned too, I imagine I'll cancel my PSP order and get an XBox instead...

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2005, 01:14:09 AM »

Damn.. I know IGN is just one review, but given the amount of hope I had for MGA I'm still a little bummed.  All's it takes me for any system is just one initial 'killer app' that I just have to play, and I'll buy the system for it (before I go and discover all of the other great games on that system).
Cube - Star Wars:Rogue Leader
Xbox - Halo
PS2 - The Smackdown series/Ico
GBA - Advance Wars
DS - Animal Crossing Online

The PSP is about the only device I can remember where my interest is more in the hardware itself than in any specific game on the horizon.  I'll probably still pick one up (+ THUG2), but what is the 'killer app' on the horizon?  GT4:Portable?

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2005, 02:23:55 AM »

I don't really get the whole 'killer app' thing. Nothing against the term or anything but isn't a killer app a lot like a favorite color?

I know there are HUGE games with big sales numbers but someone else's killer app might be my pile of crap.

I'm sure a lot of you would go insane over a FF game for the PSP at launch and cause you to spend $300 on the system +game. I jumped at the PSP due to sports games on a handheld for the first time ever. Most couldn't care less about sports.

Every game can be a killer app!!

Just thought I'd throw that out for discussion... biggrin

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2005, 03:21:47 AM »

I don't know, I read LE's quote and it sounds like he has some legitimate gripes regardless of it being a card game or not. A poorly done card/strat game is still poorly done whether you like that kind of game or not.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2005, 03:56:45 AM »

Yeah, I`ve witnessed this game in motion and, it didnt impress me at all. The graphics aren`t bad, just the gameplay appears to be :wink: . I know of some people that love it though, go figure.

I`m looking at wipeout pure and untold legends. I think I`m going to grab probably just one...I`m not sure which yet though.

I played wipeout pure for a few minutes today at EB. It was fun. Spectatular graphics combined with really fast smooth gameplay. I`m thinking I`ll go this route. My wife would probably enjoy it as well, which always helps :wink: . But untold legends, if done properly, could be tons of fun.

Untold legends comes out tomarrow, so hopefully there will be a review up before thurday. I would sure think so.
angrycoder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2005, 04:25:34 AM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
From the MG:A review:

Call it awkward game design, or call it the nature of a card game -- there are just some things here that will push patience no matter how one looks at it. Even though I found myself trying to like this game, there are things that almost pushed frustration on me. There are so many annoyances that are just screwy intrusions that do nothing for the game's reality. For instance, having your move progression interrupted by a codec message from Roger, and then losing the rest of the moves you had already selected after he's done talking to you. Or waiting on certain cards to come up when you're in a tight spot, like a firefight. Or simply needing to progress through a door and you're waiting for the "Level 1 Key Card" card to come up (you can edit the order of the cards, but in certain contextual situations, you haven't been given the chance). Or how about how it sends you back to the main menu after your quick-save, only to have you select the option to continue. Just the way that this game mixed up the X and O button so consistently -- one to make a choice at one point, then suddenly canceling the choice the next screen over -- had me losing my faith.

Eh.  The guy obviously wanted a Metal Gear game, not a card game, but still... issues like the above pretty much seal this one's fate for me...

Man, Untold Legends better be good.  If that gets panned too, I imagine I'll cancel my PSP order and get an XBox instead...

Take a look at this blow by blow refute of everything in that paragraph here... look for the post by Kitsune.

http://www.quartertothree.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17807

Kitsune lives in japan and has already played the game.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2005, 04:44:52 AM »

I really didn`t want a psp until recently. Now I really want it! I`m starting to think people really want to get their hopes up, just to be lets down.

There is a point to this, believe it or not...

Halo 2 did NOT suck, it could have been better, but it was a great game. Mainly the multiplayer.
 Doom 3 did NOT suck. Id said doom3 will be a retelling of the original. WTF was it? A retelling of the original. Id didn`t claim it to be the next coming, YOU did!!!
 The DS rocks, don`t let anyone else tell you otherwise. It`s a new system, it will have good games. Give it some freaking time!!! Oh, well it`s been out, what...4-5 months, and boohoo, where`s all my games! :roll:
 And here we go with the PSP, "this game sucks, then this must too, I hate psp I don`t want one!!!!"
 I see people go from super happy to buy something, to "I`ll get something else cuz this sucks" direction in days, maybe even hours or minutes.

This really has nothing to do with anyone in specific, really it doesn`t. And in contrast to other forums, you guys are level headed :shock: ... :wink:  But, don`t hype stuff up to super crazy levels, just to burst your bubble if it isn`t perfect.

More on topic. I was in EB today and grabbed a flyer that says, trade in 3 xbox or ps2 games and get one of these free. There`s like 6 or 9 psp games to pick from. Too bad I already cleared out my selection just a week or two ago... :evil: . Maybe I`ll look through my collection again...

Don`t mind me. I quit smoking...11 months ago :evil: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2005, 02:31:18 PM »

Quote from: "angrycoder"
Take a look at this blow by blow refute of everything in that paragraph here... look for the post by Kitsune.

http://www.quartertothree.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17807

Kitsune lives in japan and has already played the game.
Yeah, I read that.  I guess I'm back on the fence about this one.  I'll wait for more reviews.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: