http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 12:40:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What game to buy? And some other questions  (Read 1203 times)
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: September 10, 2004, 09:18:47 AM »

I don't have a lot of money, so I'll probably only buy one of these games. Which one would be best?

1) Spiderman 2: Got a LOT of praise, and then suddenly a lot of criticism... How is it after the hype?

2) Burnout 3: I have PGR2, and I'm not much of a race fan. Crashing however, sounds like a lot of fun. Is it fun on split-screen?

3) Beyond Good and Evil: Still haven't bought this one, but it seems like a short game...

4) Fable

On another note: Would Doom3 run on a AMD 1.2 Ghz with a Geforce Ti4400 and 512 MB RAM?

And a final question: I have Hunter: the Reckoning. I bought it cheap for coop-play, but me and my buddy don't like it. Are the other RPG-lite games the same? D&D Heroes, BG... ?
Lockdown
Gaming Trend Senior Member

LD

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2004, 09:29:36 AM »

Hello Rocketman.  I don't reckognize your name, and you have over 25 posts.  Another sign I hang out too much in the Sports Forum.   :?

Hopefully someone will come along and answer your question a heck of alot better than me, but here it goes:

1) Spiderman 2 is fun.  However, it lost it's oomph with me pretty quickly.  I ended up giving it to my 11 yr. old nephew.  Even he got tired of it after awhile.

2) Haven't tried on split screen.  The game itself is tremendously fun, and very very little like PGR2 in my opinion.  Crashing is just a hoot!

3)  BG&E is dare I say up for "Sleeper of the Year".  This game, although praised highly on many forums, never really caught on with the general gaming public.  Interesting game for sure.  If you tend to play games quickly, you will be done way before you want to be.   :wink:

4)  Despite lots of critisism, I think Fable will be a very fun game.  Since you're short on cash, wait for the CG Review.  These guys will shoot straight with ya!

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2004, 09:40:05 AM »

Thanks for the fast reply, Lockdown smile You may not recognize me, because I don't post a lot, and I've been a member of CG since the very beginning.

I'll wait for a couple of other answers before deciding, since you basically said that ALL these games (except perhaps Spidey) were worth buying.

Perhaps I should elaborate on my tastes: I love Ninja Gaiden, Halo, Crimson Skies, KOTOR and everything coop. (There, I just managed to name games everybody likes...)

I like hard games, except hard driving games, and it doesn't matter if a game is short, as long as it is 'intensive'. Like Max Payne 2, or PoP... I tend to play these games a couple of times anyway...
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2004, 11:34:40 AM »

Quote from: "The Rocketman"
1) Spiderman 2: Got a LOT of praise, and then suddenly a lot of criticism... How is it after the hype?

The game is well developed; it's just that the free-roaming missions only have several variants. 1) guy on ledge 2) person who needs to go to hospital. 3) kid's balloon (can't use webbing) 4) gang vs person 5) gang vs spidey (person is a decoy, they apologize) 6) bank robbery 7) save people from boat.  There's also a few swing through rings and beat-the-clock missions, and I might have missed one or two other generic battles. It's pretty easy to get tired of it (GTA was the same for me). for <20 used, it's a good purchase. Full price? Nuh-uh.

2) Burnout 3: I have PGR2, and I'm not much of a race fan. Crashing however, sounds like a lot of fun. Is it fun on split-screen?
Dunno yet; I get mine today. :evil:

3) Beyond Good and Evil: Still haven't bought this one, but it seems like a short game...
I'm underqualified to answer this one; I've not played it. BG&E is well loved in these forums and with reviewers. It can't hurt to try it; you might even be able to pick up a used copy.. I haven't seen too many of these in the used games places. I'm not much for platform games so I wouldn't be buying it.

4) Fable

Ask me next week; I'm buying it for better or for worse. I love Pete's sandbox games so I'm sure my creativity for mischief in the world of Albion will yield a truckload-o-laughs. smile

On another note: Would Doom3 run on a AMD 1.2 Ghz with a Geforce Ti4400 and 512 MB RAM?

I don't see why not( you may have to overclock to 1.5Ghz, I don't remember the exact base requirement), but you're going to have to turn down everything that made Doom3 impressive. The game itself is basically survival horror for the first 2-3 hours, and then it shifts down into a mindless "oo, ammo... I wonder which walls will slide open to reveal imps who have been waiting tirelessly for some idiot to come by and grab it?" Over, and over, and over and over again. Once you get to that point, only the hell levels will impress you with their design. The traps? Same old, same old. If you're patient enough, wait for the Xbox version to come out  (no hardware worries, coop, get the same toned down graphics, etc..)

And a final question: I have Hunter: the Reckoning. I bought it cheap for coop-play, but me and my buddy don't like it. Are the other RPG-lite games the same? D&D Heroes, BG... ?
Hunter is kinda lame, I would recommend Baldurs Gate 2 or Lord of the Rings : Return of the King before playing another hunter game. Once again, use trade-ins and used copies to keep your cost down.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2004, 11:39:34 AM »

Since you don't have a lot of $$ to throw around, I'd say your best bet would be BG & E.  Great game that you can get for around $20, but it is a little on the short side and there isn't much replay value.  It took me around 14 hours to finish and I'm not a fast gamer.  

I won't comment on Spider-Man since I didn't play very much of it.  I liked what I played, but I've heard it gets old pretty fast.

Burnout 3 is tons of fun and the crashing is spectacular.  Of course, you'll probably have to pay more than double of what BG & E costs, but the replay value is higher on Burnout.  

I guess it comes down to what kind of game would get the most for your money, action/adventure or racing.  Or just wait until next week to see what everyone has to say about Fable.  smile

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2004, 01:37:17 PM »

Beyond Good & Evil is a must-have. Got it in a trade and didn't play it for several months, fired it up on a lark and been obsessed with it ever since. Great game. smile

Spider-Man 2 is fun in the beginning, then really starts to drag. If you're interested in the XBox version, e-mail me about a trade. smile

Fable - I'm waiting on the reviews from people I trust before I go after it. I'm also not a driving fan, so I can't comment on Burnout 3.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2004, 06:45:17 PM »

From your list I'd say Butnout, simply because there seems to be the most replay value.  And if you have Live, the game lives on indefinately.

Don't forget that for $20 you can buy WIngs of War. smile
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2004, 04:12:43 PM »

So, I finally went for Burnout. I sold some titles I didn't play anymore (Marvel vs Capcom, DTM driver, MoH:AA) and got the game pretty cheap that way. And it's true what everyone says, it's a BLAST to play! I haven't had this much fun with a racer ever!!

I have PGR2. I thought it was fun. I was mistaken smile Burnout, now THAT's fun! The one thing I don't like about racers is the make-one-mistake-restart-the-race mechanic, and this game doesn't seem to have that! You can crash a lot, and still end up first! (Except for those beat the clock races, but that's how they should be too).

So, to everyone who advised Burnout, thanks!

And to anyone who doesn't like racers much, because they're too difficult, or make you memorise the tracks, or whatever... This game is different, it's arcade racing perfection! biggrin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: