http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 03:15:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PS3] Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch  (Read 11330 times)
Jimmy the Fish
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 28, 2013, 07:02:44 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on January 28, 2013, 12:45:21 AM

Some thoughts after 6 hours (just got to Al Mamoon):

The bad
-  Probably the only RPG this generation that I honestly cannot think of a negative thing to say about it.  Been racking my brain...nothing comes to mind.  That's a good thing.

It's a trivial thing I guess but I wish the spoken audio was more consistent. The english voice acting is quite good and I find myself not pressing buttons to skip though the dialog. However, there are times when text boxes will appear along with the spoken audio and then will stop and all you get is just the text boxes. It would enhance the immersion in the game if the spoken audio was heard through all the text box sequences. Like I said, just a trivial thing to me. Otherwise, it's a fantastic, cinematic game.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 28, 2013, 09:31:44 PM »

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on January 28, 2013, 07:02:44 PM

The bad
-  Probably the only RPG this generation that I honestly cannot think of a negative thing to say about it.  Been racking my brain...nothing comes to mind.  That's a good thing.

It's a trivial thing I guess but I wish the spoken audio was more consistent. The english voice acting is quite good and I find myself not pressing buttons to skip though the dialog. However, there are times when text boxes will appear along with the spoken audio and then will stop and all you get is just the text boxes. It would enhance the immersion in the game if the spoken audio was heard through all the text box sequences. Like I said, just a trivial thing to me. Otherwise, it's a fantastic, cinematic game.

I made a similar comment earlier and stand by it.  I played a couple more hours this weekend and routinely was distracted by the switch between spoken and text dialog.  It creates a discontinuity in the immersion for lack of a better term, and I find it hard to believe there wasn't enough room for the dialog on a blu-ray disc.  I think they incorporated numerous languages, maybe that was the issue.  As for the game itself, it still hasn't grabbed me the way I hoped, but certainly seems promising. 
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 28, 2013, 09:49:36 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on January 28, 2013, 09:31:44 PM

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on January 28, 2013, 07:02:44 PM

The bad

I made a similar comment earlier and stand by it.  I played a couple more hours this weekend and routinely was distracted by the switch between spoken and text dialog.  It creates a discontinuity in the immersion for lack of a better term, and I find it hard to believe there wasn't enough room for the dialog on a blu-ray disc.  I think they incorporated numerous languages, maybe that was the issue.  As for the game itself, it still hasn't grabbed me the way I hoped, but certainly seems promising. 

After playing it for over 20 hours I'm on board with this complaint. It is the only complaint I have for the game. The voice acting is so good that the beeping text can take you out of the game. Everything else is so good that I can easily overlook it though.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 29, 2013, 02:13:14 AM »

I've seen some people excuse the intermittent voice work as a consequence of the game having so much dialogue.  The Mass Effect games fit an awful lot of spoken dialogue into standard-sized DVDs -- is there really so much talking that a Blu-Ray wouldn't have been able to handle it?  Or are there enough high-def animated sequences to be filling things up?

-Autistic Angel
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 29, 2013, 02:17:33 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on January 24, 2013, 03:29:27 AM

I'm baffled as to why anyone who doesn't like RPGs would buy this game.  It'd be like me buying Gears of War and expecting to like it.  Kudos to you all for giving it a try though.

I hear good things, I'll give it a shot. Maybe something will click...and it this time it did!

You can now feel free to put in your pre-order for Gears of War: Judgement

icon_biggrin

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: January 29, 2013, 05:56:33 AM »

I'm really liking this so far. eek
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 29, 2013, 10:44:39 AM »

Okay hrs later. Not only still loving it, but more so...this game is phenomenal!
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 29, 2013, 03:30:54 PM »

Some people on another forum thought it was bad form to post about making a profit selling the game when other people were shafted out of their orders due to overselling.  So I am going to delete what I posted and talk about the game.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 04:56:14 PM by farley2k » Logged

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 29, 2013, 04:27:50 PM »

My family loves Ponyo, which we usually watch together at least 4 or 5 times a year.  We were glued to the tv last night watching my oldest play about 90 minutes of Ni No Kuni.  It was amazing that a game could pull my entire family in like that.  We all thought it reminded us of Ponyo, from the animation to the voices to the heartwarming characters.  This was obviously a labor of love for the developers. 
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 29, 2013, 07:14:28 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on January 29, 2013, 04:27:50 PM

My family loves Ponyo, which we usually watch together at least 4 or 5 times a year.  We were glued to the tv last night watching my oldest play about 90 minutes of Ni No Kuni.  It was amazing that a game could pull my entire family in like that.  We all thought it reminded us of Ponyo, from the animation to the voices to the heartwarming characters.  This was obviously a labor of love for the developers. 

It was made by the Studio that made Ponyo.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 29, 2013, 07:37:52 PM »

Quote from: msduncan on January 29, 2013, 07:14:28 PM

I just looked that up: Studio Ghibli.  That's really cool.  I just ordered a few more of their bluray movies from amazon.   Whisper of the Heart, Castle in the Sky, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, & The Secret World of Arriety.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 29, 2013, 07:46:54 PM »

Do not watch Grave of the Fireflies with your kids.  Saying it is a sad movie is an extreme understatement.

Ones you should show the kids:

Lighthearted:
My Neighbor Totoro
Kiki's Delivery Service

A bit more serious:
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away

Fun but I'm not sure how to categorize:
Porco Rosso
Howl's Moving Castle
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 29, 2013, 07:52:27 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on January 29, 2013, 07:46:54 PM

Do not watch Grave of the Fireflies with your kids.  Saying it is a sad movie is an extreme understatement.

I may have gotten sad during that if I wasn't so utterly bored to tears.  great animation but the story wa- zzzzzzzzzz......

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 29, 2013, 07:53:06 PM »

This is probably a stretch but here goes. Any of you with the Wizard's Edition, would you consider selling the plush Drippy doll? My daughter would love that thing but no way am I going to pay the ridiculous prices the whole package is going for on eBay ($300 to $400).
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 29, 2013, 08:11:14 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 29, 2013, 07:52:27 PM

I may have gotten sad during that if I wasn't so utterly bored to tears.  great animation but the story wa- zzzzzzzzzz......

Seriously?  Grave of the Fireflies was one of the biggest gut-punches I've seen in any movie.  It's a brilliant film that I'd encourage everyone to watch.  Once.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 29, 2013, 08:13:12 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on January 29, 2013, 07:37:52 PM

Quote from: msduncan on January 29, 2013, 07:14:28 PM

My family loves Ponyo, which we usually watch together at least 4 or 5 times a year.  We were glued to the tv last night watching my oldest play about 90 minutes of Ni No Kuni.  It was amazing that a game could pull my entire family in like that.  We all thought it reminded us of Ponyo, from the animation to the voices to the heartwarming characters.  This was obviously a labor of love for the developers.  

I just looked that up: Studio Ghibli.  That's really cool.  I just ordered a few more of their bluray movies from amazon.   Whisper of the Heart, Castle in the Sky, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, & The Secret World of Arriety.

If you watch one Studio Ghibli movie, make it Spirited Away.  It's in my top 3 films of all time, any genre.  An absolutely wonderful and incredible film on every level.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 29, 2013, 09:27:47 PM »

The only Ghibli movie I would recommend staying away from is The Cat Returns.  Just weak, IMO.

Anything else is not only fair game, but borderline required viewing.

Totoro is their mascot, and the film is remarkable. 

Castle in the Sky is nearly pure adventure, with that Ghibli touch.  It's the one I'm most apt to put in, but I wouldn't call it my favorite.

Kiki gets a lot of play in our house, too.

One that I don't see mentioned here (probably because it's pre-Ghibli Miyazaki) is Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro.  Another great adventure story.  Lupin has a long history, but none of it is necessary for the film.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 29, 2013, 10:21:44 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on January 29, 2013, 08:11:14 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on January 29, 2013, 07:52:27 PM

Seriously?  Grave of the Fireflies was one of the biggest gut-punches I've seen in any movie.  It's a brilliant film that I'd encourage everyone to watch.  Once.
Grave of the Fireflies is as great an anti-war film as All Quiet On the Western Front. Highly recommended.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 30, 2013, 01:54:08 AM »

It's going to take me forever to finish this game. I can't help but catch every type of familiar I come across.

Also, I believe Oliver is my favorite RPG/JRPG lead that I have ever played. Kid just wants to save his mom, is polite, and does not suffer from amnesia/dark past/brooding personality.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 30, 2013, 04:40:50 PM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on January 30, 2013, 01:54:08 AM

Also, I believe Oliver is my favorite RPG/JRPG lead that I have ever played. Kid just wants to save his mom, is polite, and does not suffer from amnesia/dark past/brooding personality.

+1.  It is wonderful to have a hero like this for my kids to see. 

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: January 30, 2013, 05:32:48 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on January 30, 2013, 04:40:50 PM

Quote from: USMC Kato on January 30, 2013, 01:54:08 AM

+1.  It is wonderful to have a hero like this for my kids to see. 
It's really refreshing.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 30, 2013, 06:36:17 PM »

I haven't had a lot of time to play, I'm only up to level 10 but I'm still really enjoying it.  Yeah it's refreshing to see a protagonist like Oliver. 

My only minor complaints:
- Why do we have to level up a new familiar from level 1?  You get something new and it basically sucks until you keep it in your inventory for a while.
- They should have had a quick reload option instead of having to go back to the title screen if you decide not to pay the money cost.

Also a nice to have would have been the ability to check enemy stats during combat (sort of like Persona games).
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 30, 2013, 07:01:17 PM »

Quote from: skystride on January 30, 2013, 06:36:17 PM

- They should have had a quick reload option instead of having to go back to the title screen if you decide not to pay the money cost.

That one bugs me, too.  My other minor complaint is the series of end-of-battle wrap-up screens.  I know it's a standard JRPG convention, but it's still annoying, especially when you're just plowing through weak enemies in an area (for taming or because they're not yet scared of you).  The battle AI for your companions could use a lot of improvement, too.

Still having a blast, though.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 30, 2013, 07:11:25 PM »

Wish the tactics options were a bit more customizable. Do what you like = AI party members nuking everything in sight. They seem to hold back a bit when using the "keep everyone healed up" tactic.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 30, 2013, 08:05:31 PM »

This game brainwashed me! I normally don't do jrpg, not only am I loving this, I picked up p4g!!!
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 30, 2013, 09:11:44 PM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on January 30, 2013, 08:05:31 PM

This game brainwashed me! I normally don't do jrpg, not only am I loving this, I picked up p4g!!!

Well, if you're going to play JRPGs, you might as well play two of the best.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: January 31, 2013, 01:16:30 AM »

Admittedly P4 is only half-best. The social gameplay is excellent, but the dungeon crawling with lots of grinding is JRPG and generic RPG at its worst.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 31, 2013, 01:58:05 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on January 31, 2013, 01:16:30 AM

The social gameplay is excellent, but the dungeon crawling with lots of grinding is JRPG and generic RPG at its worst.

I fully agree, and would add one additional caveat.  The social gameplay is fun IF you can stomach the idea of role-playing a Japanese High School student.  It won't be everyone's cup o' tea.

Oh, and P4G is also one of the slowest starting JRPGs I've ever played.  It takes forever to really get going.

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 31, 2013, 03:05:43 AM »

I can see where Turtle's coming from, but the combination of traditional RPG leveling with Pokemon-like monster team building, team-up attacks unlocked by your S-Ranks, and All-Out Attacks made the combat in Persona 3 and 4 a lot of fun for me.

By comparison, the phrase "generic RPG at its worst" invokes my memories of being bored to tears by Tales of Symphonia or Star Ocean: The First Encounter.  The setting in those games were so bland, no amount of real-time mashy combat could make them palatable.

-Autistic Angel
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: January 31, 2013, 04:43:11 AM »

Ok, I generally DESPISE JRPGs, so the fact that I HAD to have this is all on Studio Ghibli. It sounds like their influence might get me through it  nod

That said, should I try to track down the guide? I plan on firing this up this weekend with my two daughters in tow.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 31, 2013, 04:57:58 AM »

Admittedly P4 is only half-best. The social gameplay is excellent, but the dungeon crawling with lots of grinding is JRPG and generic RPG at its worst.

Sorry, but your opinion is wrond. slywink

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 31, 2013, 06:42:46 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on January 31, 2013, 04:57:58 AM

Sorry, but your opinion is wrond. slywink

I'm about to prove that some more right now. Yes, your opinion will be overturned!;)
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: January 31, 2013, 12:31:58 PM »

retard

*does not understand the "wrond" reference*

*is also posting at 4am*
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 31, 2013, 02:52:30 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on January 31, 2013, 12:31:58 PM

retard

*does not understand the "wrond" reference*

*is also posting at 4am*

Don't hate me because I can't type.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 31, 2013, 02:53:21 PM »

Yeah.  It's dark in there.  Tongue

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: January 31, 2013, 02:55:43 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on January 31, 2013, 04:43:11 AM

Ok, I generally DESPISE JRPGs, so the fact that I HAD to have this is all on Studio Ghibli. It sounds like their influence might get me through it  nod

That said, should I try to track down the guide? I plan on firing this up this weekend with my two daughters in tow.

I'm playing it without the guide and I'm not having any trouble. If you want to get everything out of the crafting you may need a guide, but you can probably use the internet for that.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 31, 2013, 04:36:46 PM »

Can anyone explain the mechanic on timing your attacks?  It said something about attacking when some indicator turns blue to stun the enemy but I haven't been able to figure it out.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 31, 2013, 06:16:46 PM »

Quote from: skystride on January 31, 2013, 04:36:46 PM

Can anyone explain the mechanic on timing your attacks?  It said something about attacking when some indicator turns blue to stun the enemy but I haven't been able to figure it out.

I've been wondering about this too. 

I also fully agree that the voiced/non-voiced transitions are extremely jarring.  Especially when they fire up a very short voiced bit in the middle of a whole bunch of text dialog.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 31, 2013, 06:29:19 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on January 31, 2013, 06:16:46 PM

Quote from: skystride on January 31, 2013, 04:36:46 PM

I've been wondering about this too. 

I also fully agree that the voiced/non-voiced transitions are extremely jarring.  Especially when they fire up a very short voiced bit in the middle of a whole bunch of text dialog.

I have seen the Attack bubble turn blue, but it disappears so quickly, that it doesn't seem you can use that effectively as an indicator.  When I do get it to work, it's been  about feeling the timing.  However, it seems to be intentionally hit or miss.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 31, 2013, 09:06:11 PM »

This is Game of the Year.    Seriously, if I take the last few games of the year, minus Minecraft, this would win against all of them.   

Game. Of. The. Year.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: